Weave It Up Challenge 2010

Ladies, I feel like such a failure! I just took out my weave today. I had it in a whopping 9 days! (sigh) I just couldn't do it anymore. It was all tangled mess and the braid pattern left too much bulk in the front of my head so I looked like an alien with my hair pulled back into a ponytail. On a positive note, it was really easy to get out and I have no damage to my hair. :)

I may try again someday. I actually learned a lot from this experience. I know that I would use a different braid pattern next time; detangle each track independently; and only leave out large amounts of my real hair if it matches the weave really well.

Good luck with this challenge ladies! Maybe I'll join the bun or twist challenge now.

here are my pics it was done on Friday sorry getting my days mixed up

23jlh94.jpg

ml2s8p.jpg

Last edited:
Still in an install and I am still doing the same routine. Will be removing it after 2 mo. on the 26th of this mo. Will do a length check and post pics.

New Years Party...Install was looking great!:lick:

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 50
Here is my 3-day old install. Its a zig-zag braiding pattern. The hair is cut in layers, and I have a natural enclosure (my hair is out on top). I may take it out in 6 to 8 weeks.

installfront.jpeg

installback.jpeg

FYI: I've slept my curls out already, so these pics don't do it justice.

Still in an install and I am still doing the same routine. Will be removing it after 2 mo. on the 26th of this mo. Will do a length check and post pics.

New Years Party...Install was looking great!:lick:
it looks really really good...don't hurt 'em now with your hot new years outfit! :grin:

care to share what type of hair that was?

Checking in for the last few weeks ladies. My Weave seems to be better this week after a mishap with the some gone off/ spoiled Affirm 5 in 1 treatment.

I seem to have nursed my hair and weave back to health with the help of the Joico Moisture Recovery Balm.

I had my weave re-tightened yesterday and used up the rest of my Remi Goddess pack to add some volume lost as a result of shedding. The hair did not shed as much the first time I used it however I think the wefts are getting fatigued now so its shedding a bit more. Ironically the hair still looks really good. It seems to look nicer with each wash as it acquires more texture.

I am gonna rock this weave until the end of Jan, which will make it about 6 weeks in total and then do a DC and rest up for a week or two before re-installing in February.

Last edited:
Hi Ladies-- Adding my latest Install and updated my starting point( in my signiture- now APL!!!). Hair is Wagman's natural curl. I decided to straighten it for the week

This looks like fun. I wore weaves as my protective style in 2009 and received great progress so count me in if it's not too late.

Are you weaving it up for 6 or 12 months?
12 months

Regimen:
Keeping it simple since it worked so well in my 2009 journey

Shampoo: Every 6-8 weeks with each reinstall
Co Wash & Deep condition weekly
Moisturize 3 times a week
Sealing with essential oil mixture
Light dusting as needed to avoid single strand knots and split ends.
Trimming Twice—March (this will be my first trim at a stylist since beginning my journey in Jan. 09) and December

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave:
Shampoo & Conditioner: Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner- my hair & Weave
Deep Conditioner: ORS Replenishing Conditioner- my hair only
Moisturizers: ORS Shea Butter or Olive Oil Moisturizers- my hair only
Oils: Almond, Coconut, Jojoba, and Peppermint Oil Mix—my hair only
Castor oil- edges only
Nutregena Triple Moisture Conditioner and Shampoo—weave (when wearing it curly)

End of challenge goal:
Longest layers BSL

Starting Pic:
Taken late Nov/ Early Dec-- was about 1/2 inch shy of APL at my longest layer.

Attachments

• Jan 2010 w Flower (601x800).jpg
    Jan 2010 w Flower (601x800).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Wagmens Curled.jpg
    Wagmens Curled.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 25
UpDaTe: I just past my third week in my install. I feel the braids loosening a bit but not too badly. I think I'll do this hair for my next install and then switch to a full-head straight weave to end the challenge.

I made a month in my install on Sunday. It went by so quickly. I've been just wearing it in a ponytail. I straightened it bone straight and theres a pic of how I wore it in this post on this thread. I haven't had any issues with my sew in, it's holding up well and I still wash weekly.

I'm going to get my stylist to cut it a little bit shorter. I seriously can't wait to get the bob cut. I just want to have different styles for each month.

I got this on December 18th and plan to wear it until the end of March.

Last edited:
Hey ladies I am updating my reggie as followed based on my experiences with my 2 recent installs:

Regimen:

• Pre-Poo scalp only over night or for at least 30 mins with a mixture of 3 parts Neem, Coconut or other Ayurvedic Oil mixed with 1 part Mega-Tek cell Rebuilder.
  • Pre-Poo my own hair and weave hair with mild protein i.e. Joico K Pak or Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor for 10 - 15 minutes.
  • Rinse scalp with Ayurvedic tea rinse and allow to sit for 5 mins. Then rinse thoroughly again.
  • Shampoo with diluted CON, Giovanni smooth as silk or other non sulphate shampoo. Alternate with diluted scalp treatment shampoo once every 2 weeks.
  • Rinse and add DC i.e. Joico Moisture Recovery Balm.
  • Rinse out DC.
  • Apply a small amount of leave in to own hair under the weave and the remainder to weave hair.
  • Clip hair (incl weave) into 4 or 6 sections or set hair on 8 x large rollers (to expose scalp) and put a roller in leave out hair to help get straight a little. Tie hair with a drying net and then sit under hood dryer on warm/ medium for 15 – 20 minutes (leaving just a little moisture in hair which will air dry).
  • Apply a small amount of Mizani H20 intense to hair and wrap up to go to bed to style the next day (incl flat ironing leave out hair).
  • (Keep in weaves for 6 – 8 weeks MAX)
  • Wash & DC hair 2 x week.

Maintenance
  • Massage scalp 2x week with Scalp oil Mix
  • Massage edges and nape 3 / 4x a week with homemade edges balm and a Nexxus Vitatress scalp moisturiser. (I am also thinking of maybe co-washing my edges 2 -3 times a week).
  • Spray scalp and hair under weave lightly at night with home made spritz.
  • No products on weave hair what so ever.
  • Wrap up weave in a loose bun with a silk scarf at night (this helps keep the curl at the ends). Wrapping up this way also takes the stress off my edges.

Takedown
  • After all weave hair has been taken out and hair lightly combed through, saturate hair with oils to hand and use a wide tooth comb to thoroughly comb through. Then repeat with a medium tooth comb.
  • Add more oil as needed to hair and scalp, twist into 4 or 6 sections and pre-poo over night.
  • Wash the next day in 4 or 6 braided sections with a Clarifying Sulphate shampoo. Lather again if needed.
  • Squeeze out excess moisture with a towel.
  • Add Aphogee 2 step treatment and sit under hood dryer for 15 – 20 minutes until dry.
  • Rinse out Aphogee treatment.
  • Add DC Moisture treatment and sit under steamer for 40 – 50 minutes.
  • Rinse out DC. Rinse scalp with Ayurvedic tea rinse and allow to sit for 5 mins. Then rinse thoroughly again.
  • Add Porosity control to hair only for 2 – 3 minutes and then do a final rinse
  • Add leave in.
  • Roller set and sit under hood dryer or blow-dry.

Last edited:
I made a month in my install on Sunday. It went by so quickly. I've been just wearing it in a ponytail. I straightened it bone straight and theres a pic of how I wore it in this post on this thread. I haven't had any issues with my sew in, it's holding up well and I still wash weekly.

I'm going to get my stylist to cut it a little bit shorter. I seriously can't wait to get the bob cut. I just want to have different styles for each month.

Hon do you use a net with your weave? I see the way you blend your hair with the weave and its amazin, im just nervous about using heat on my hair?!?

xx

Hey ladies I am updating my reggie as followed based on my experiences with my 2 recent installs:

Regimen:

• Pre-Poo scalp only over night or for at least 30 mins with Neem, Coconut or other Ayurvedic Oil.
  • Pre-Poo my own hair and weave hair with mild protein i.e. Joico K Pak or Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor for 10 minutes.
  • Shampoo with diluted CON or other non sulphate shampoo once weekly
  • Rinse and add DC i.e. Joico Moisture Recovery Balm.
  • Rinse out DC. Rinse scalp with Ayurvedic tea rinse and allow to sit for 5 mins. Then rinse thoroughly again.
  • Apply a small amount of leave in to own hair under the weave and the remainder to weave hair.
  • Clip hair (incl weave) into 4 or 6 sections (to expose scalp) and put a roller in leave out hair to help get straight a little. Tie hair with a drying net and then sit under hood dryer on warm/ medium for 15 – 20 minutes (leaving just a little moisture in hair which will air dry).
  • Apply a small amount of Mizani H20 intense to hair and wrap up to go to bed to style the next day (incl flat ironing leave out hair).
  • (Keep in weaves for 6 – 8 weeks MAX)

Maintenance
  • Massage scalp 2x week with Scalp oil Mix
  • Massage edges and nape 3 / 4x a week with homemade edges balm and a Nexxus Vitatress scalp moisturiser. (I am also thinking of maybe co-washing my edges 2 -3 times a week).
  • Spray scalp and hair under weave lightly at night with home made spritz.
  • No products on weave hair what so ever.
  • Wrap up weave in a loose bun with a silk scarf at night (this helps keep the curl at the ends). Wrapping up this way also takes the stress off my edges.

Takedown
  • After all weave hair has been taken out and hair lightly combed through, saturate hair with oils to hand and use a wide tooth comb to thoroughly comb through. Then repeat with a medium tooth comb.
  • Add more oil as needed to hair and scalp, twist into 4 or 6 sections and pre-poo over night.
  • Wash the next day in 4 or 6 braided sections with a Clarifying Sulphate shampoo. Lather again if needed.
  • Squeeze out excess moisture with a towel.
  • Add Aphogee 2 step treatment and sit under hood dryer for 15 – 20 minutes until dry.
  • Rinse out Aphogee treatment.
  • Add DC Moisture treatment and sit under steamer for 40 – 50 minutes.
  • Add Porosity control to hair only for 2 – 3 minutes and then do a final rinse
  • Add leave in.
  • Roller set and sit under hood dryer or blow-dry.

What do you mean by the bolded statement??

how do you moisturize under the weave with a net. its starting to ITCH!!! ahhhhhhh

I moisturize the same way that I would without a net. I spray s-curl between the track and onto the braids. I used the net cap so I'm still able to get to my hair with no problem. Even when I scratch my scalp, it feels the same.

That's too many style inspirations in 1 post... LOL!!!! Cute hair!

That's too many style inspirations in 1 post... LOL!!!! Cute hair!

lol, right? Thanks! I was giving others ideas too, also in hopes I'd get ideas from others as well

Hon do you use a net with your weave? I see the way you blend your hair with the weave and its amazin, im just nervous about using heat on my hair?!?

xx

No, I dont use a net with my sew in because I dont want to have limited access to my scalp. I foresee ridiculous itching, breakage and dirt buildup with a net. Thanks for the compliment on the blending. Yeah I'd see why youd be bothered with the heat, but I use it only once a week on wash days and wrap my hair the rest of the week. I use rollers for the front area if needed.

Last edited:
lol, right? Thanks! I was giving others ideas too, also in hopes I'd get ideas from others as well

No, I dont use a net with my sew in because I dont want to have limited access to my scalp. I foresee ridiculous itching, breakage and dirt buildup with a net. Thanks for the compliment on the blending. Yeah I'd see why youd be bothered with the heat, but I use it only once a week on wash days and wrap my hair the rest of the week. I use rollers for the front area if needed.

Nichi, I promise I will post some pics soon. I'm going to probably take the one I have in now down. I've learned a little and feel that I did good by keeping it in 2 weeks. But I wanted to ask, have you had any damage from weekly flat ironing? (I know all hair is different). Just curious.

Update:

washed my install, air dried then used the blow dryer to blow it out. I trimmed it & added "layers" (lol) then flat iron.

SAM_1083.jpg

SAM_1086.jpg

SAM_1104h.jpg

SAM_1105.jpg

SAM_1108.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_1083.jpg
    SAM_1083.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 12
Today is week one and my hair is itching like crazy. Im so tempted to wash it tonight after class but I have the flu and I dont think I will be able to take sitting under the dryer. I just recieved my hydrathermal follicle invigorator and moisturizing growth lotion, im going to see it either can help with the itching. I forgot to mention, I have a net so I may have to wait and get a applicator bottle.

Nichi, I promise I will post some pics soon. I'm going to probably take the one I have in now down. I've learned a little and feel that I did good by keeping it in 2 weeks. But I wanted to ask, have you had any damage from weekly flat ironing? (I know all hair is different). Just curious.

Oh yay, I'll be looking forward to seeing pics. Whats wrong with the current one, why are you removing it? 2 weeks??

As far as heat damage, yes, I have had some. Some hair in the front, particularly by the usual part line takes a lot of washes to revert and some doesn't at all. When I'm out of weave, I usually bun, twistout or flat iron so it's not even visible. My curl pattern is not as tight anyways. My front part has always been heat damaged anyway, and honestly, it's not a deal breaker. I have looked for weave to match my texture so I wouldnt have to flat iron but that has been a fail.

What do you mean by the bolded statement??

Hey Sade nothing really just living and learning and tweaking things here and there. For example I have now worked out that tangles happen when product or oil gets onto the weave hair and that there are some products which seem to suit the hair more than others. Also I learned from experience that there are some things you need to do upon take down like making sure that the hair is EXTREMELY well lubricated to avoid knots and tangles etc.

Hey Sade nothing really just living and learning and tweaking things here and there. For example I have now worked out that tangles happen when product or oil gets onto the weave hair and that there are some products which seem to suit the hair more than others. Also I learned from experience that there are some things you need to do upon take down like making sure that the hair is EXTREMELY well lubricated to avoid knots and tangles etc.

Thanks for clarifying Stella! :yawn:

unfortunately ladies. im going to have to forfeit. I might try again for the second section if I find someone to do a GREAT weave without a net. But I have the itchies and it's so bad that I can hardly function.

Update:

washed my install, air dried then used the blow dryer to blow it out. I trimmed it & added "layers" (lol) then flat iron.

SAM_1086.jpg
it looks so pretty!!
damn..you are always killing it with these installs..your styles are always on point! :yep:
question: what braid pattern does your stylist use? just curious.

Haven't got my weave in yet but I plan to within the next 2 weeks. You ladies are really making me miss it! I'll be there soon!

Oh yay, I'll be looking forward to seeing pics. Whats wrong with the current one, why are you removing it? 2 weeks??

As far as heat damage, yes, I have had some. Some hair in the front, particularly by the usual part line takes a lot of washes to revert and some doesn't at all. When I'm out of weave, I usually bun, twistout or flat iron so it's not even visible. My curl pattern is not as tight anyways. My front part has always been heat damaged anyway, and honestly, it's not a deal breaker. I have looked for weave to match my texture so I wouldnt have to flat iron but that has been a fail.

There isn't necessarily anything wrong with it. I've just learned so much after my first self-install, I want to take this one down and implement some of the things I've learned. LOL. I've never been good at keeping up a style past about 4 days to a week, so it's good it's lasted this long. LOL. I'm going to a Super Bowl party and I will def have to re-do it before then. I'm really trying to go until 2/6 - which will be my 4 week mark - and it will give me a fresh 'do for the party.

Plus, you keep posting so many yummy styles. It makes me want to try something new like right now! :drunk: But keep the picture posts coming. :yep:

:grin: thank you.

She braids straight back.
are you serious?? damn, and they look so nice and flat.
i've been hurting my arms with my last two installs tryna get all fancy with zig-zags, circles, you name it.:drunk:
i guess i'm just gonna try it that way.

update on me: this weekend will be three weeks in this weave. i've only washed my hair underneath once, so i think i'm gonna take it down, wash/DC/protein, and re-install this weekend. i'm not going out, so i'll have time. this next one is staying in for a minimum of almost 2 months-i've finally figured out the BEST way to do them securely.

Last edited:
Back