Weave It Up Challenge 2010

So... Last night I took out the dreadful HCGWH and installed HCMRH :clapping: !!! This was a LONG process. I had to remove he HCMRH from a wig base, wash it, condition it and dry it. I had to remove the HCGWH from my head, take my braids down, detangle my hair, wash it, DC it, and dry it. Then I braided my hair and installed the hair... that part only took 2 hours... I've never done my own install that fast! Heck it usually takes me 2 hours when I do other people's install!!!

I normally don't do back to back installs but, the HCGWH install only lasted 5 weeks so I figured I'd be ok. I love, love, love the HCMRH install!!! the hair just fell right into place, I didn't even have to cut it. It's about 7 oz of 14". I'll try to post a pic soon.

On the downside... I'm super tired because I was up until 2 am doing my hair. I just want to close my office door and take a nap.... can't do that though!

Last edited:
I've had my sew-in for 1 week today....and I hate it! It's already tangled and I miss my hair. I can probably do this for two more weeks but beyond that...I don't know. I'm so discouraged. :(
I felt the same way:yep: i took mine out yesterday and will be making a wig until i get use to it i will remove once a week wash deep cond wear mi own out for no longer that two days then rebraid and put the wig either a whole wig or wig with horseshoe out

I've had my sew-in for 1 week today....and I hate it! It's already tangled and I miss my hair. I can probably do this for two more weeks but beyond that...I don't know. I'm so discouraged. :(
awww....man, i know just how you feel.
what always helps me is just to play in some hair (the weave hair, in this case, or somebody else's head). wash, DC, and do a roller set on it. do a blow out. just DO SOMETHING!! always makes me feel better.:grin:

Ughhhhhhhhh I'm dreading this take down...:ohwell: I want to pay someone to take it off but I'm scared to lose hair.
awwww....i always feel that way.:perplexed
just take your time, and use a long weekend or a day off.
cut out all the threads and remove the tracks and go watch TV.
Then come back and take down your braids, tie on a scarf and go to the gym.
come back, detangle, wash, and DC and go to bed.
this always works for me, and makes it feel way less tedious.

ok so i cannot re-size my starting pic at the moment but here is my weave pic - 1 for now if all goes well, finally found the lead

specs

sensationnel - premium plus, 16in, colours 2, 4, 30

Attachments

why arent we allowed to join anymore ? :(

Sign ups were open for a month. I wanted to keep the number of challengers manageable and have the same group of people from start to finish. I've also witnessed that the more people in a challenge the less participation there is. :sad:

Oh no! What hair did you use again? Have you washed and detanged it yet?

so... i got my sew in today... i may have to withdraw myself from this challenge.

this mess is the mess of all HOT MESSES... i cant quantify my level of pissivity right now.

i'm too embarassed to even post pictures... i wanted a full head sew in... it's lopsided... the tracks are showing... it's just a big mess... i couldve done this myself and saved my money.

you know how you can be so mad that you just want to go to sleep...?

goodnight.

Lop-side AND the tracks are showing? Are you going to go back to have it re-done? I'm not happy with how my weave was installed but I can stick it out until March Then I'm going to ATL have someone who knows what they're doing re-install it.

Ughhhhhhhhh I'm dreading this take down...:ohwell: I want to pay someone to take it off but I'm scared to lose hair.

IA with Rocky. Take your time. You may want to purchase a seam/ thread cutter instead of using regular scissors. I think you'll have good success taking down your own weave because you won't rush through it and can really focus on undoing the braids gently.

I am not officially in this challenge but just wanted to share this info.

I bought some chinese remi hair from http://wigsroyal.com/stock wefts.htm
(I like chinese hair because it is coarser than indian and hangs a bit heavier than indian hair which can be a bit too wispy at times)
I installed it as a full head weave and it is very low maintenance. I got the machine wefts and there is NO tangling and very minimal shedding.

Also customer service was great. (Matt - sales manager) and shipping is really quick. (It takes a couple of days to get your hair for stock wefts and about 2 weeks for custom wefts).

Plus the hair withstood an "acid test"!!
I was in Mauritius all week for a sales conference. The weather was hot and humid and I swam and did water sports each evening... and the hair held up beautifully. I cowashed each day after swimming. It detangled like a dream and dried wavy straight. A few passes of the flat iron and it was straight. I use very little IC Fantasia gel from time to time to relieve dryness.

If anyone is looking for virgin hair at low prices. Give this a try.

PS: This is MY experience. I know some people have had some issues with this hair in the past but from what I remember the shedding was more associated with the hand wefts.

Last edited:
Interesting...the girl who is doing my hair told me to get these brands and I plan to keep the install in (full head) for at least 2 - 3 months. What brand do you suggest I buy?...I've read through the thread and I see that Remy is pretty popular.

Sorry that it took me so long to reply I don't think BSS human hair will last you for that long. I think you should invest in a good remy hair because it will last plus you can get multiple installment from it. They have some good BSS remy that can last for 2-3 months, bobbi boss indi remy and goddess remy, i have heard good things about those. I want to bobbi boss.

Okay, this makes me feel a little better. I had to go back in and tighten up some of my tracks Monday night (I installed Saturday). I'm trying to keep it in for two weeks...but I may not make it past this weekend. I'm going to see what happens after I wash it Friday night. I'm thinking about taking this down, keeping the same braid base, and re-installing new hair. The plan was to keep each install in 4 - 6 weeks.

I think the first one is like a learning experience, b/c it allows you to critique yourself, so you can know how to better it next time around. after about 2-3 self installment, you will see better improvement compare to your first one.:yep:

Hey Ladies,

I`m just checking in, I figured I might as well start doing so before I become tempted to take this weave out. It was itching like crazy, but I prayed and washed it and it feels so much better. I truly want to see results in my hair growth so I`m sticking to this. - No one says challenges are easy.

Good Luck Ladies.

I still have my install in. This Kinky straight behaves just like my texlaxed hair would. I've been wearing it in a bun for the past week and a half. My scalp was/is itching.

I'm going to purchase some aloe vera liquid. I hope that will help.

Caychica that Bohbraz is sooooo purdy :drunk::drunk::drunk: .... hmmm I may look into it ....

Do you know if it would suit 4a/b hair?

I think I may need to maybe put some really kinky hair at the front if I used the Bohbraz also how did you find the hair? I've heard it sheds and tangles some....???

Thank you :)

I'm not sure but I dont see why it wouldnt. I just suggest mixing the hair cause the curls arent as defined as the wet and wavy's.

I didnt have problems with tangles. I used a lot of leave-in conditioners n no poo on the hair. It does shed though. By the time I was ready to take it out the hair thinned a bit but was more tamed. (attatched)

I'm buying it again for my next install. hth.

Attachments

• SAM_0348.jpg
    SAM_0348.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 71
I still have my install in. This Kinky straight behaves just like my texlaxed hair would. I've been wearing it in a bun for the past week and a half. My scalp was/is itching.

I'm going to purchase some aloe vera liquid. I hope that will help.

Yeah, I've been bunning my kinky straight hair this past week as well. I'm going to wash this weekend. It's only been up a week.

I'm not sure but I dont see why it wouldnt. I just suggest mixing the hair cause the curls arent as defined as the wet and wavy's.

I didnt have problems with tangles. I used a lot of leave-in conditioners n no poo on the hair. It does shed though. By the time I was ready to take it out the hair thinned a bit but was more tamed. (attatched)

Tons of leave in condish huh? Which leave INS did u use?
How often did u wet the hair and how long did u leave the install in? I have it in now but wearing as is outta the pack. Will prob wet next week.
Did u ever straighten after washing by blowdrying or flatironing?

When is everyone taking out their first install? I will have mine put in Jan 16 and taken out on April 10. I have my hair braided already for the sew in this week, and that was done on Jan 10th, so technically 90 days.

My install comes out March 26-27. That's 3 months. So far the hair isn't giving me trouble so I think I can make it.

Your hair looks so GOOD!

Yeah, when doing my research before the install I read a couple of threads about washing the weave before the install so I did ask my stylist to wash the hair and even the net.

Plus she braided my hair underneath the net w/ no additional hair which I LOVE.

You what I think it is. At the top of the weft hair has small line of hair that's causing the irritation.

Tommorow is my wash day and I can't wait to go through the process.

LASTLY..... LOL Thanks for reminding me to pick up some witch hazel. :grin:

Yep - I read one of the other threads where Glamazon said that the braid hair might cause the itchiness so I always get my hairdresser to wash that first now and I wash the weave hair before installing. Since then far less itchiness.

Also I find my hair gets itchy at the 1 week mark i.e. when its time to wash.

Adding witchhazel and tea tree oil to my home made concoction braid spritz has also helped. :grin:

Last edited:
This sounds similar to the sew-in I have accept the net is sewn to my braided edges and the weave is sewn to the net.

BTW, your detangle method sounds awesome. :yep:

I took out my sew in after 2 months. I am only going to perm every 6 months so no perm this time. I will get a new install on Saturday.

I have decided to make a wig with my EPRT and have the wig sew on. This will make for easier install and uninstall. I will treat it like a sew in and leave it for 4 -6 weeks. Washing and condishing my hair weekly.

I posted this in another thread but here is my take down and detangle processed.

I just took out my sew in and am 3 months post and detangle was easy (as far as detangling goes)

This is my process.

I divide my dry hair into 4 sections
I apply EVOO to my roots using an applicator bottle.
I apply ORS to all my hair
I than go back and rub evoo on the length of my hair
I put a shower cap on and sit under the dryer for 15 minutes.
My hair is really soft now and easy to detangle. I use a cricket silk comb (it is seamless).
I detangle and wash my hair in the shower. I am careful not to scrunch my hair
Do a mild protein treatment.
I add DC and sit under dryer (sometimes with the homemade steam treatment) for at least 30 minutes.

Works wonders for me.

You know these last couple of days I've been disliking my weave too. I loved it at first but after getting use to it I feel like it's WAY too think and I don't care for the cut too much. As much as I love my stylist I don't know if she can fix it but it's worth a try.... I have an appointment next week.

In the mean time I'm looking forward to a wash and con.... Might try a braid out to add some pizzazz. Hopefully I'll like it again :perplexed

awww....man, i know just how you feel.
what always helps me is just to play in some hair (the weave hair, in this case, or somebody else's head). wash, DC, and do a roller set on it. do a blow out. just DO SOMETHING!! always makes me feel better.:grin:

I'm not a weave expert but that hair was pretty! :yep:

Hey ladies need some advice...

I am thinking of ordering some hair from www.realhairexclusive.com for my next install in Feb. They are based in Holland and I am based in UK/ France so I am hoping the shipping will be easier/ faster and no customs declarations etc.

I have fine 4a/4b hair and wanted to mix together two textures of hair they sell as follows:

As such I wanted to put this hair at the front and this hair at the back...

What do you ladies think??? Do you think I will get away with it and that it will work/ blend together or are the textures just too dissimilar....???

BTW my rationale for doing this is to be able to blend my own natural 4a/4b transitioning hair at the front with the weave with minim heat usage.

TIA Ladies x :grin:

ETA: I got my inspiration from this thread by Ediese:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=369992

The challenge officially begins today (although most of us are already weaved up and ready to go)! :pepper: I'm so excited to see how far we all progress. :yep:

Tons of leave in condish huh? Which leave INS did u use?
How often did u wet the hair and how long did u leave the install in? I have it in now but wearing as is outta the pack. Will prob wet next week.
Did u ever straighten after washing by blowdrying or flatironing?

Well I used Softsheen Carson Care free curl/S-Curl most of the time but what really helped was mixing water and Mane-n-Tail conditioner and using that for a leave-in.

I wet it almost everyday, it would dry really fast when I first got it installed. Didnt need to wet it, just preferred it that way.

No I didnt straighten it at all. I regret not doing it though, next time I will.

The challenge officially begins today (although most of us are already weaved up and ready to go)! :pepper: I'm so excited to see how far we all progress. :yep:

I'm really excited! I made so much progress in 6 months, cant wait to see how far I can get this year

I got my weave yesterday (before the cut off date :yep:) but I wont be able to post pisc until Tues. I tried to get my sons to take pics but I guess at 6 yrs old I am asking too much for them to just focus in on my hair.:spinning: I love it with one excepting and that is I dont have a part and I would really like one but she did live some hair out around the front cause I want to maintain my hairline. I am able to cowash and go. I do put a head band or something on but oh well I have learned for the next time. I have bohyme brazillian hair in color 4 at 12 inches.

My hair is braided in a beehive pattern and I did tell her to not braid too tight but when I did that she had already done 2 braids in the back and they are the only ones hurting right now. I have some bumps in the back and I am putting castor on it on my right side. The left side does not hurt and yet when I pulled my hair up to check it out, its red.

I will wash it for the first time on Sunday so that may loosen it up.

All in all I am happy. Now lets get to growing!

Back