Weave It Up Challenge 2010

Hi I would like to be included in this hair challenge. I am strongly considering going natural and plan weaving up my hair for a hair. If I see great progress I will transition.

Are you weaving it up for 6 or 12 months?
12 months, but will let my hair breath for 2 wks between each weave.

Regimen:
Wash twice a month at dominican salon

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave:
Jane Carters Nourish and Shine on Edges and roots, glycerin and rose water spray on my braided hair 2x a wk, and castor oil on my nape (its broken off and dry). Silken Chile heat protectant on my own hear that is left out in the weave if it needs to be flat ironed.

My weave-Nairobi Sheen spray when needed. No products on weave, I like it bouncy.

End of challenge goal: Collar bone

Post a starting length picture: My hair is in weave. My starting length is about the same as in my avatar.

I, too, recently subscribed at this time because of the weave it up challenge. Count me in...and I will post my info later tonight, but I wanted to be included.

I had this super long post typed, but dagnabbit if my internet didn't shut down when I tried to log onto Photobucket so I could add my pics.

I'm just really not in the mood to type all that over again at this very minute, so give me an hour or two of recoup time and I'll give all my stats!

im gonna join, if not to late,

I'm currently wearing a weave that was installed on the 28th December

six or 12 months?

weaving for 6 months

Regime?
deep condition and steam every 2 weeks,seal with oil
spray every other night with aussie moisture mist
when weave is taken down, light protein treatment
leave out for 1-2 weeks and re apply weave

Products?

keeping it limited,
Srays
aussie moisture mist
water mixed with Hello Hydration,

EVOO for sealing

Conditioners

DPR11 deep conditioner
light protein to be decided motions cpr + ?

for the weave the aussie will be fine.

End of challenge goal?

APL streched

i will post a picture in early feb when I take this weave down, good luck guys

Last edited:
Okay, sorry I don't have any accurate length check photos because I rarely get my hair pressed, so my pics are with senegalese twists removed and after a wash/blowdry.

6 or 12 months?
I'll commit to 6 months....I'm really tempted to say 12, but seeing as how this is my first challenge I am going to take baby steps. Can I up it to 12 and still be included once I hit my 6 month mark?

Regime:
My regime is nothing special. I'll wash every 1-2 weeks unless sweat or product buildup, (or some kind of hazmat accident at my work..lol) dictates more frequent washing. I use WEN Fig and Hello Hydration conditioner on my hair for washing and conditioning. I alternate several oils, moisturizers, and homemade concoctions depending on what my hair needs....too many to list right now...still recovering from internet crash..:wallbash:
My weave IH.com natural curly 16" doesn't like product, so I may be able to get away with a light oil, or WEN, but it likes nothing else...maybe I'm too heavy handed?

I take daily 3000-6000 mg of Spirulina, 1000-2000 mg of Chlorella, 5000IU of vitamin D3, 90 mg of Co Q10, 1300 mg of Flaxseed oil, and EPA/DHA Fish oil. When I remember I swallow 1-2 raw eggs, usually as first meal and when funds are right I love, love, LOVE Bolthouse Green Goodness, and Mocha Cappucino.

End of Challenge goal:
My end of challenge goal is BSL, I think. I really can't tell from the pics but I think I'm grazing APL blowdried...maybe you ladies can chime in and let me know, cuz I'm a total newbie at this. So I guess I'm shooting for BSL blowdried.

startmyhairjourney003-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Housestuff016-1.jpg
[/IMG]
Ok, my newbieness is showing...I've read and tried and tried and can't get my pics to show up....what am I doing wrong...Photobucket, resized, IMG code, copied and pasted....any suggestions????:arguing: This is me and my computer right now....

Last edited:
Testing new method...
OK, my computer and I may be friends again...:cheers:
LadyEuphoria007 Thank you for posting how to attach the thumbnails

Attachments

• Housestuff016-1.jpg
    Housestuff016-1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 24
  • startmyhairjourney003-1.jpg
    startmyhairjourney003-1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 29
  • startmyhairjourney004-1-1.jpg
    startmyhairjourney004-1-1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 23
How long do you let your hair rest before installing another weave?One day, a week, two weeks ect... When you let it rest what do you do? Buns,wigs, 1/2 wigs ect....

I finally figured out where my stylist works now. She recently left the company I work for (a gym where we have a spa and salon) and is now working somewhere else.

I will call her to set up an appointment to have her braid my hair in a circular pattern this week, then see her next Friday to have her put my weave in. It's TOO much in one day with braiding and weaving!

Until then, I will wear a lace front for a week until she can install my weave.

Please count me in. My starting length is still close to that in my siggy...unfortunately. I will post new starting length pics tomorrow and get weaved up on Thursday. I'm using Sensationnel Premium Now Wet & Curly hair in 14in. I will probably cut it a little.

6 or 12 months?
Since I've never worn a weave before, I'll commit to 6 months. I'll see how I feel as time progresses.

Regime:
Wash every 1-2 weeks (not sure what shampoo/con yet...still researching). I'll also use my new Bhringraj oil blend on my scalp ever couple of days.

End of Challenge goal:
Full APL (hopefully BSL).

Oh it's 3:30am. I hope you slide me on in lol! I said I was going to join a challenge this year and since I am a long term stretcher (21+ weeks always), this one requires minimal effort! :grin:

12 months - Perming tomorrow so next perm will be in July and next one will likely be January

Regimen:
Moisturize every other day, or three days; Wash once a week or once every week and a half

Weave:
Creme of Nature Green Top Shampoo/ Nourishing Conditioner
Suave Humectress

Own hair:
Chi Silk Infusion

S-curl
Silicon Mix
Amla Oil
Pending decision on Shampoo for hair - currently looking for a new one

End of challenge goal:
APL+ (by December 2010)

Post a starting length picture:
Starting pic is from 2-10-09; I have had weave in since then and am actually getting a perm in the morning. If I am not too lazy, I will update my pic! :yawn:

Attachments

• 2-10-09#2.jpg
    2-10-09#2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 9
Ill try to do my own weave b4 the 15th, if it looks good im in!
Scratch that...I bought some expensive hair and im getting it installed tomorrow. I have an appt @ 330 today for a trim/cut...ill post my starting pics and stats when I get home today:yep:

My hair is natural 4b .

I had a cut yesterday to neck length.

6 months to start, then re evaluate later

Regimen:
Wash every 2 weeks with watered down moist. conditioner and alternate with watered down aphogee 2 min followed by moist. condish. not use poo to wash.

Wear the weave for 2- 3 months, and re-install after 1- 2 weeks.

NO trims only slight dustings.

: My scalp ;Apply BT 2-3x a week.
My hair; African Royale braid spray + coconut and JBCO
Weave hair

; cantu leave in conditioning creme, scurl
Supplements:

Multi-Vitamin

Chlorella

Fish oils
Increasing protein intake & protein shakes

End of challenge goal:
SL

later tonight

Last edited:
Hey Ladies, does anyonw know of the best hair brands to get? right now i am limited as they dont sell extension plus where i am....

could you all let me know the best long asting yaki weaves around please?

Thanks. xx

Ladies, I get my install on Thursday (my first ever!). I have a couple of question:

1. Is my hair too straight? Should I add some type of hair cream, protective spray, etc.

2. Should I be worried about the weave thread cutting my hair? Is there any way I can minimize damage to my fine strands?

3. Anything else I should know??

Thanks in advance!

By the way, this is my starting point (freshly trimmed 1/4/10):

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 31
has anybody used steam with their weave? the bronner bros show is coming up and im wondering if they have hair steamers and would it even make sense for me to cop one with a weave installed.

Oh it's 3:30am. I hope you slide me on in lol! I said I was going to join a challenge this year and since I am a long term stretcher (21+ weeks always), this one requires minimal effort! :grin:
[/B]

Hold it right there.... strolling in 3 hours late! :stop: Naw, I'm just playing. :grin: Welcome to the challenge!

has anybody used steam with their weave? the bronner bros show is coming up and im wondering if they have hair steamers and would it even make sense for me to cop one with a weave installed.

I have a steamer but haven't used it on my weave. I'll have to try that out.

Ladies, I get my install on Thursday (my first ever!). I have a couple of question:

1. Is my hair too straight? Should I add some type of hair cream, protective spray, etc.

2. Should I be worried about the weave thread cutting my hair? Is there any way I can minimize damage to my fine strands?

Thanks in advance!

I think your hair looks great! I've never experienced the thread cutting/ damaging my own hair. Hopefully the other ladies chime in.

Thanks in advance!

i'm such a weave beginner, but i'll try to help out as much as i can.
1. if your stylist is fine with it, then that's okay. personally, i prefer braiding on hair that is only blowdried but still has a bit of texture. you can add some moisture or oil if you like. i always oil my scalp with castor oil and coconut oil before getting a weave.
2. nope-i have fine strands as well and they haven't been damaged by weave thread.
3. ummm...have fun?? :grin: that's pretty much all i've got...Hope this helps a little bit!

wow! i forgot about this challenge! :look:

okay i still have the same install. i'm really bored with it but i will keep it till the end of this month

this afternoon i washed my hair, conditioned for like ten minutes in the shower w/ White Rain Lavender Vanilla...omg! LUV it! then i sprayed that aphogee keratin stuff all over my leave-out hair, along with this Dr. Miracle braid spray all over my braids. then i applied a little mixture of the lavender vanilla and carrot oil all over my wet weave hair.

here's a pic of my self-install, pic taken last week

Attachments

• hairdo11.JPG
    hairdo11.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 50
  • hairdo22.JPG
    hairdo22.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 59

I am actually under the steamer right now. I have steamed with my sew in at least 4 times now without any problem

Scratch that...I bought some expensive hair and im getting it installed tomorrow. I have an appt @ 330 today for a trim/cut...ill post my starting pics and stats when I get home today:yep:

My hair is natural 4b .

I had a cut yesterday to neck length.

6 months to start, then re evaluate later

Regimen:
Wash every 2 weeks with watered down moist. conditioner and alternate with watered down aphogee 2 min followed by moist. condish. not use poo to wash.

Wear the weave for 2- 3 months, and re-install after 1- 2 weeks.

NO trims only slight dustings.

: My scalp ;Apply BT 2-3x a week.
My hair; African Royale braid spray + coconut and JBCO
Weave hair

; cantu leave in conditioning creme, scurl
Supplements:

Multi-Vitamin

Chlorella

Fish oils
Increasing protein intake & protein shakes

End of challenge goal:
SL

later tonight

guess u cant add pics to edited posts? urghh

i'm such a weave beginner, but i'll try to help out as much as i can.
1. if your stylist is fine with it, then that's okay. personally, i prefer braiding on hair that is only blowdried but still has a bit of texture. you can add some moisture or oil if you like. i always oil my scalp with castor oil and coconut oil before getting a weave.
2. nope-i have fine strands as well and they haven't been damaged by weave thread.
3. ummm...have fun?? :grin: that's pretty much all i've got...Hope this helps a little bit!

Thanks, girl! I'm nervous...{biting nails}.

One other thing...This hair I got is kinda light for 1b (#1 was too dark, though). Do you think a cellophane will work to blend it with my hair more or do I need a real hair color??

Thanks, girl! I'm nervous...{biting nails}.

One other thing...This hair I got is kinda light for 1b (#1 was too dark, though). Do you think a cellophane will work to blend it with my hair more or do I need a real hair color??
*bites my own nails* lol
ummm...i don't know much about cellophanes..if they deposit color, then yea, it should work.
but i'd just go with a rinse...i wish some semi-permanent color experts would chime in.

I'm in!

Start with 6 months- I want to do it for 12, but I'll take it a half-year at a time

Regimen:
Moisturize hair underneath, take out weave when I feel it's time to take out, treat/condition own hair, reinstall no later than 2 weeks after taking weave out

Own hair: doogro, CFC instant moisturizer. Haven't figured out what I'm going to do with weave hair

End of challenge goal:
Full BSL, good amount of growth of natural hair since I plan to leave the relaxer alone

coming soon :)

A newbie to the forum but have been lurking for a while. Looks like I just missed the deadline for this challenge. Wish you the best with this challenge ladies.

i finally got my hair sew in yesterday, tried to add pics last night but i kept clicking 'manage attachments' link and it would not work....any suggestions?

Back