Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

@DVAntDany ive been using two gels for over 10 years.

it’s always dependent on what I want my hair to do and what the product does. My base gel is usually acting as a leave in and my top gel is my weight.
I guess I’m looking at it from my perspective. If you asked me a few years ago what is the purpose of a leave-in, moisturizer, or even grease, I would have no answer to reply besides me not knowing. I’m still confused on what a leave-in is. :lol: The A’s say it’s a no hold styler while everywhere else says it a multipurpose product that moisturizes, preps hair for styling, protects hair from damage and detangles. I personally only ever use it to make the gel cast feel softer.

Speaking of topper gel’s desired finish, I finally figured out what Aishia meant by ICV makes ramen noodle curls. In my head, I thought crunchy and stringy curls. She has mentioned several times that she does not like that finish. This is probably why she also doesn’t care for BG. These two products don’t plump up the curls but instead make them more individual.

ICV has not made my hair any crunchier than any other topper I have used. It has however made my roots clump better together. They are defined enough that my scalp oils are actually traveling down the shaft about 3 inches. It usually pools up on my scalp. Everywhere I put extra ICV (which surprisingly penetrated my hair well) still has great definition for day 3. Even my fuzzy sections above my ears were pretty defined on day one. Day 3 in this area looks better than my usual day 1.

I look bald when I open up my hair to see my roots today. They don’t often look like that. I usually can’t see my scalp because the hair is so fuzzy and stuck together. I took some random photos before heading out into the rain earlier today.

Canopy
88BB3685-1453-4F62-90DA-96C8CF1C8554.jpeg872D12E5-72B0-4C0C-B0D5-F7406DF8FCB1.jpeg

Being able to see scalp no matter where I part

fuzzy area
2BBB2960-6481-47F6-8D4A-C2E9394A3F8E.jpeg

random spots

A037161E-AA5B-4A11-9A38-EAEFAEE8A0FD.jpegBBF488B8-271B-43ED-9257-95F5E61D475F.jpegB827D27F-1F6E-4DF9-A15E-CD82B231CF33.jpeg

I swear my scalp looks so sparse. It makes me question if I even have high density hair. I did watch this video on fine yet high density hair by BGC.

Also, I’m starting to believe that too much UFD is what causes my hair to be so stuck together. The last wng I did (not current one) I took pics of my freshly styled wet hair. I used more UFD and less toppers. No amount of raking nor shaking my head would keep them separated. The hair kept fusing back together in sheets.

F41DDA6E-903B-4E5A-9A67-C835331FA9FE.jpegF7D09A06-F8D2-4C1B-AA4F-4CEC124B978D.jpeg07CE2A98-5F9B-481A-93BF-745F17AC52B8.jpeg2547A0A5-0B2B-4388-9A53-F7D7BD1A24AB.jpeg

There is one big thing I noticed about more expensive conditioners. They wash out easily and actually go down the drain. I find the cheap ones make cleaning the shower more difficult and really clog up my hair trap/catcher when mixed with shed hairs. Supposedly, the more expensive salon quality conditioners are more concentrated and you won’t need as much once you add some water to your hair.
Yeah, I just meant cheaper but not cheap. I think my current conditioner is about $28 and it isn't a big bottle. It isn't something I want to try playing around with a golf size amount with. I want to try what she was doing in the video with a large amount of conditioner to see if it changes my results any. For an experiment like that I think I can find something less expensive at Ulta or at TJ Maxx just to see. But who knows when I will bother trying it :lol:

When I used to use Shea Mositure coconut and hibiscus conditoner I would use a golf ball size amount. Maybe more and I liked the results.

I definitely want to try it. I probably have tried it before but that was before I started this current way of doing things. I may pick up a bottle of something when I go to TJMaxx this weekend. They sometimes have quality conditioners for about $15. I don't mind playing around with that.

I paid attention to wetting my hair and how long it takes. And it takes at least 5 minutes for my hair to absorb water. And if I remove my hair from the water it immediately starts poofing. I thought it took a long time. The only time my hair wets quickly is if I wet my hair every 2 days. Once my hair starts drying out its like naw, not happening. But I will see if it is different when I start doing wash and goes more often. It probably will be easier. My hair is probably drying out faster because I only have a leave-in on my hair.

I think I mentioned this in another thread but I work out 5-6 days a week (strength training, Pilates and dance) sometimes twice a day and so far I am yet to find a style that holds up to this schedule. I am performing in a show in a month and I need to wear my hair out. A twist out won't hold up to a 3 hour tech rehearsal and 4 hour show day so my only options are straight hair or wash n go lol. I am testing out my silk press now to see if it stands a chance, and if not I need to master my wash n go in one month so I'm here soaking up all the good info :lachen:

I think I mentioned this in another thread but I work out 5-6 days a week (strength training, Pilates and dance) sometimes twice a day and so far I am yet to find a style that holds up to this schedule. I am performing in a show in a month and I need to wear my hair out. A twist out won't hold up to a 3 hour tech rehearsal and 4 hour show day so my only options are straight hair or wash n go lol. I am testing out my silk press now to see if it stands a chance, and if not I need to master my wash n go in one month so I'm here soaking up all the good info :lachen:
Yesterday, I signed up for SeeSomeCurls again for the umpteenth time. Just because I may ish talk about them doesn't mean I don't find their info invaluable. I wanna know more about twist outs for my mom's transitioning hair.

Let me get back on subject. I listened to a live by JC Dobson and she says this is how she tackles hair for humidity from the environment or a person's own body. She said to go less on the humectant based base gel, but use the same amount of water. Then use a 1st topper like ICH which has both humectant and humidity resistant properties. Having the weight and smoothing properties is helpful. Use less of this or the same amount as usual. Lastly, increase the amount of the humidity resistant tertiary topper. She also says that you can use the base gel and just the humidity resistant topper. Don't use a single topper that is not fully humidity resistant. Edited to say these right here are my words. This sounds like a job for "plastic" aka Ecostyler or Wetline. JC likes BG. I agree it is kinda rain proof.

@Bette Davis Eyes JC actually addressed how to determine if a product is a good fit for hair outside of the BGC recommendation list. Hmm, they are some mind readers.

Last edited:
I agree. It does the same on my hair. I have to make sure I don't use too much. I've never mastered using too much and then adding water. If my hair doesn't move after I apply it, it never gets better :lol: My stylist uses half of what I do, which I also have never mastered.
For my next wng, I'm going to see how little I can put on and still get the wet sneaker sound. This will probably require way more water. Like you, I have not mastered this. Wish me luck.

Yeah, I just meant cheaper but not cheap. I think my current conditioner is about $28 and it isn't a big bottle. It isn't something I want to try playing around with a golf size amount with. I want to try what she was doing in the video with a large amount of conditioner to see if it changes my results any. For an experiment like that I think I can find something less expensive at Ulta or at TJ Maxx just to see. But who knows when I will bother trying it :lol:
That makes sense. I saw a liter of Ouidad products going for $20 at TJ Maxx a couple weeks ago. I hate that I've been turned off by their stuff. Those are the type of prices that make my debit card all tingly.

You just missed out on the Ulta liter/jumbo sale last month. What do you have in mind trying?

Yesterday, I signed up for SeeSomeCurls again for the umpteenth time. Just because I may ish talk about them doesn't mean I don't find their info invaluable. I wanna know more about twist outs for my mom's transitioning hair.

Let me get back on subject. I listened to a live by JC Dobson and she says this is how she tackles hair for humidity from the environment or a person's own body. She said to go less on the humectant based base gel, but use the same amount of water. Then use a 1st topper like ICH which has both humectant and humidity resistant properties. Having the weight and smoothing properties is helpful. Use less of this or the same amount as usual. Lastly, increase the amount of the humidity resistant tertiary topper. She also says that you can use the base gel and just the humidity resistant topper. Don't use a single topper that is not fully humidity resistant. Edited to say these right here are my words. This sounds like a job for "plastic" aka Ecostyler or Wetline. JC likes BG. I agree it is kinda rain proof.

@Bette Davis Eyes JC actually addressed how to determine if a product is a good fit for hair outside of the BGC recommendation list. Hmm, they are some mind readers.
Some good info here, thank you!

i tried a twist out last week with UFD and mousse def. It was soft as all heck with a nice enough hold but poofed to the heavens during my rehearsal.

is UFD humectant based? I thought since it had no glycerin I would be semi okay.

i tried a twist out last week with UFD and mousse def. It was soft as all heck with a nice enough hold but poofed to the heavens during my rehearsal.

is UFD humectant based? I thought since it had no glycerin I would be semi okay.
You're welcome.

I'm just going to parrot BGC ideology when it comes to twist-outs because I've haven't given it a fair try in recent times. They would never use UFD for a twist-out. According to them, gel doesn't allow for that type of after styling manipulation that a twist-out needs. They suggest a cream under styling foam or styling foam alone. They also have been promoting the use of twist-out creams with holding properties. They recently showed a twist-out using creams to give the softer look of twist-out done on blown out hair. I can review some stuff and report back what I see.

Yes, yes and more yes that UFD is a humectant base gel. Aloe is a film forming humectant. It now has glycerin in it as the 2nd ingredient.

Today is my wash day, but I went out last night and didn’t wake up early enough this morning to wash my hair before work

I’m on day 7 of my UFD/JS hair and aside from some frizz in the crown it still looks pretty good.

I’m very tempted to get the Ecoslay refresh spray. I’m curious to see if I can just fix up a few frizzy pieces here and there between wash days

ETA Ecoslay is having a sale on 2/14. That is the push I need to order the refresh spray.

Last edited:
I wore my hair out using the doux crazysexycurl and I was really feeling the volume. My hair really looked full with just the mousse. I slept on it and it still looked good so I went out with it.

I got stopped twice by stylists who asked me feverishly if I wanted to get my hair done. One told me you need your hair done.:(

I thought my hair looked so pretty today. Root to tip. It’s just not shiny or frizz free like I normally wear my hair. I liked the carefree and quick drying process of doing my hair with just mousse.

I added a pic of what my hair looked like

IMG_3270_2_50.jpg

Last edited:
Today is my wash day, but I went out last night and didn’t wake up early enough this morning to wash my hair before work

I’m on day 7 of my UFD/JS hair and aside from some frizz in the crown it still looks pretty good.

I’m very tempted to get the Ecoslay refresh spray. I’m curious to see if I can just fix up a few frizzy pieces here and there between wash days

ETA Ecoslay is having a sale on 2/14. That is the push I need to order the refresh spray.
That might be worth looking into. How does this refresh spray help to hold down frizz? Does it work like a diluted gel?

I wore my hair out using the doux crazysexycurl and I was really feeling the volume. My hair really looked full with just the mousse. I slept on it and it still looked good so I went out with it.

I got stopped twice by stylists who asked me feverishly if I wanted to get my hair done. One told me you need your hair done.:(

I thought my hair looked so pretty today. Root to tip. It’s just not shiny or frizz free like I normally wear my hair. I liked the carefree and quick drying process of doing my hair with just mousse.

View attachment 487123
I hate when they do stuff like that. I had that happen a lot when I had locs. They would compliment then offer to style my hair or give me a stylist’s info that I didn’t ask for.

I think it looks nice and full. What matters most is what you like about your hair.

That might be worth looking into. How does this refresh spray help to hold down frizz? Does it work like a diluted gel?

They say you can use it to refresh curls or as a leave in. From quickly glancing at the ingredients I’m not sure what provides the hold.

But on sale I think it’s worth trying. If I can defrizz a little in 10 minutes or less it would be nice. On IG I’ve seen people spraying quite a bit on their hair, and diffusing after they “fix their curls”. If it takes all that I’d rather just wash again.

Ingredients

Purified water (Aqua), Aloe Barbadensis leaf juice, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) fruit Water, Prunus cerasus (sour cherry) fruit water, hydrolyzed silk protein, sodium PCA, Lactobacillus ferment & Lactobacillus & Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) fruit extract, Amaranthus Caudatus (Velvet Flower) seed extract, Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail) extract, panthenol, cinnamidopropyltrimonium chloride, sodium gluconate.

@Napp I'm appreciating your fluffier and fuller hair. I think it looks great. Of course those stylists want your money, especially in this climate. As @DVAntDany says, the main thing is that you were happy with your hair.

Saying that, I had to side eye my mum today. Having just washed my hair last night, I put half up and half down, and went to my Mum's house after work today. I'm going on holiday tomorrow, and she proceeds to ask me what I'm doing with my hair lol. I'm like, 'What do you mean? IT'S DONE.' I know she didn't mean it the way it came out, but I was in a mood with her and pms-ing and lightheartedly took offense lol.

That makes sense. I saw a liter of Ouidad products going for $20 at TJ Maxx a couple weeks ago. I hate that I've been turned off by their stuff. Those are the type of prices that make my debit card all tingly.

You just missed out on the Ulta liter/jumbo sale last month. What do you have in mind trying?
I dont have a clue. I dont even think about products anymore and really dont have anything I want to try. I will just look at what's there and pick one that seems decent for a trial.

is UFD humectant based? I thought since it had no glycerin I would be semi okay

View attachment 487123
Enjoy your hair. It looked as great as you thought it did. Sounds like mind games to me.

Back