Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

I’m going to catch up on all that I missed on this thread later today. I just wanted to post this video here and see what your thoughts are on it. It ran through my YT feed this morning. I don’t necessarily agree with him nor do I think men should dictate how women wear their hair. However, the BGC angular hairstyle is hitting Hollywood. LOL

Not to be rude, but her hairline is wayyyy too far back. That and that part is also too wide. They definitely did her dirty with that hair style :confused: It's giving the Cynthia doll look.

Not to be rude, but her hairline is wayyyy too far back. That and that part is also too wide. They definitely did her dirty with that hair style :confused: It's giving the Cynthia doll look.
I didn't like the parting either. It looks like she left one canerow in. I just wanted him be clear what he was talking about lol.

Edited for typos.

Last edited:
^^^he fails to mention what is his actual problem? Does he not like the cut? the styling? The overall aesthetic?
I honesty think it is the style. Some people in the comments thought her hair was a twist out or that the clip is from her just waking up because of the robe. Most comments said Frederick Douglas or Cynthia from Rugrats.

They did that to me too on first ever visit. The stylist found the thinnest part of my hairline (I’ve been bald on both temple areas since I was a baby) and made a part. Check out CIK stylists who went for the big baby crown chop and they look very similar.

Here are some pics/screenshots of my first CIK hair cut and styling.
5F1908A4-B8D6-4A48-B6BE-074976D64515.jpeg1E707148-90B7-401C-8980-D4A591508954.jpeg

Y’all see how wide that part is?

Prior to getting the cut I wore my hair like this most of the time.

ACDF9CBA-2278-4402-9D06-3956695C3CC7.jpeg9F11E8EC-3CD6-45B9-84A7-7203C1872021.jpeg

I bet Lil Mama’s hair looks great from the profile and the back. The CIK cut rarely does anyone favors to the front especially with short hair. I’m surprised Lil Mama’s came out that way because she has length in the front.

Here are a few stylist who did the cut last year. There are other, but I can’t remember their names or their cuts weren’t as drastic.

C80865F0-021F-4EBE-8FAE-1594377E2538.jpeg2B1FE08C-476F-4884-90E0-F4391F4BE3C6.jpeg

Edit to add the second cut/trim pic

2F89A0BC-3D87-4DF1-BC52-95A06B96F4AA.jpeg

Last edited:
They did that to me too on first ever visit. The stylist found the thinnest part of my hairline (I’ve been bald on both temple areas since I was a baby) and made a part. Check out CIK stylists who went for the big baby crown chop and they look very similar.

Here are some pics/screenshots of my first CIK hair cut and styling.
View attachment 486897View attachment 486899

Y’all see how wide that part is?

Prior to getting the cut I wore my hair like this most of the time.

View attachment 486921View attachment 486923

I bet Lil Mama’s hair looks great from the profile and the back. The CIK cut rarely does anyone favors to the front especially with short hair. I’m surprised Lil Mama’s came out that way because she has length in the front.

Here are a few stylist who did the cut last year. There are other, but I can’t remember their names or their cuts weren’t as drastic.

View attachment 486937View attachment 486939

Edit to add the second cut/trim pic

View attachment 486951
BGC always says your face shape doesn’t matter when you get a haircut. I think it’s because like you said, they only care about the profile and how it looks from the back.

your hair has grown a TON!!

I realized today that the only smoothing I do is when I add products. I barely smooth unless I feel tangles. I mainly rake.

I also decided to be like @ckisland and @Bette Davis Eyes today and do a middle part.
E27909D4-EBBF-41C8-86CF-E626DD8F7F05.jpeg
I used UFD, ICH and a sample of ICV.

My last wash and go, I used Trepadora Açaí Berry as the tertiary topper. It took a million years to come in the mail and I forgot about it. Well, I recently spotted it. It’s not rain proof like Bamboo Ginseng. This was day 8 after being rained on 3 times.
D226BD80-F5C8-4760-9CCC-4A6B7359F905.jpeg

BGC always says your face shape doesn’t matter when you get a haircut. I think it’s because like you said, they only care about the profile and how it looks from the back.

your hair has grown a TON!!
I totally concur. They only care about every thing but the money shot.

I think my hair might be either tight wavy instead of tight curly or just easily weighed down to show more of my length. It looks like the average rate of growth to me.
However, I have graduated from random boy hair to having Camilo’s hair from Encanto by my niece. That definitely means I gained some type of length. LOL
.4A21E974-1A79-4C97-934B-14DB4DA16821.jpeg

I realized today that the only smoothing I do is when I add products. I barely smooth unless I feel tangles. I mainly rake.

I also decided to be like @ckisland and @Bette Davis Eyes today and do a middle part.
View attachment 486955
I used UFD, ICH and a sample of ICV.

My last wash and go, I used Trepadora Açaí Berry as the tertiary topper. It took a million years to come in the mail and I forgot about it. Well, I recently spotted it. It’s not rain proof like Bamboo Ginseng. This was day 8 after being rained on 3 times.
View attachment 486959
Your hair is so beautiful. Inspiration for me to stay natural

I used to live in a side part in my relaxed days. A middle part used to make me feel bookish lol. When I started wearing my hair natural as an adult and got some length, I just gravitated to a middle part. Maybe its the added volume and hair in my face annoys me, but now I think a side part looks odd on me. I've tried to wear it side and off my face, and I immediately switch back.

I am coming back to wash and goes. Im a little sick of the fake hair right now. I did a wash and go today for my co op board interview I used mielle pomegranate and honey leave in and max hold gel topped with some doux bee girl custard. My hair frizzy at the roots. the Mielle gel did not control my natural roots. I'm slowly transitioning back to natural hair. My hair looks like it didnt grow but when i compare it to last year i can see the growth.

mielle max hold gel.jpg

this is my natural texture last year
Shrinkage_50 (2).jpg

My hair now covers my ears. Im making progress very slowly. I am going to use mousse next time for a quicker dry time.

I really like the way my hair looks and feels with this combo. The doux bee girl custard really works perfectly as a topper. I slept crazy last night and my curls still look perfect (just a little more shrunken. I think wash and goes will be my main style again. I really like how my hair looks now that I have some length. MY hair is only APL-ish and it frames my face so much better than it did before. I'm hoping I can retain some length

Someone from work gave me the ebook wash your damn hair and I have been reading it little by little. Maybe I will understand the new wash and go jargon that has come up since these new natural hair stylists have become popular.

I watched this video before washing my hair, and I found her technique very helpful!!

I made sure that my hair was super saturated during the washing process. So I cowashed with No More Suds, and conditioned with Soften Me Up. I finger detangled since I'm only using my brush every other wash. I squeezed the water out of my hair because Miss Jessie products specifically say to use on damp, not wet, hair. I smoothed on Leave-in Condish and Coily Custard in 2 sections instead of my usual 4. I made sure I used a handful for each side. Then I diffused actually using the diffuser attachment of my blowdryer, and I used warm heat instead of hot.

My hair is buttery soft and has so much movement, and I love how it looks! From washing to styling took 22 mins!!

View attachment 486523View attachment 486525

I may need to get a cheaper conditioner to play around with a golf ball size of conditioner. Not sure if my hair even after 5 minutes lays that flat :lol:

I really like the way my hair looks and feels with this combo. The doux bee girl custard really works perfectly as a topper. I slept crazy last night and my curls still look perfect (just a little more shrunken. I think wash and goes will be my main style again. I really like how my hair looks now that I have some length. MY hair is only APL-ish and it frames my face so much better than it did before. I'm hoping I can retain some length

Someone from work gave me the ebook wash your damn hair and I have been reading it little by little. Maybe I will understand the new wash and go jargon that has come up since these new natural hair stylists have become popular.
I’m glad that you are finding something that works.

Which iteration of the book do you have? I heard one of the “instructors” on SSC say in a live that the old old book use to talk about which ingredients to look for in products. For example, it use to include what “plastic” ingredients one should look for in toppers. She then went on to say that the A’s removed it because it was too technical and confusing for consumers.

Right now, a new person would be highly confused on what makes a base gel a base gel. It would even be confusing for a newbie to figure out what ingredients to look for to even figure out where a shampoo falls on the spectrum. There are creamy clarifiers outs there. So opaque pearlescence vs transparency doesn’t always help. They just say use what is on the list or ask your stylist. Then after putting in the hours with reading and listening, a person finally catches on.

Without you all, it would have taken much longer to figure out what a topper was. They are now saying it’s not just for humidity resistance. They have starting saying that you also choose your topper based on your desired finish. Just be aware that they are constantly evolving.

I may need to get a cheaper conditioner to play around with a golf ball size of conditioner. Not sure if my hair even after 5 minutes lays that flat :lol:
There is one big thing I noticed about more expensive conditioners. They wash out easily and actually go down the drain. I find the cheap ones make cleaning the shower more difficult and really clog up my hair trap/catcher when mixed with shed hairs. Supposedly, the more expensive salon quality conditioners are more concentrated and you won’t need as much once you add some water to your hair.

Back