Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

@Napp I'm appreciating your fluffier and fuller hair. I think it looks great. Of course those stylists want your money, especially in this climate. As @DVAntDany says, the main thing is that you were happy with your hair.

Saying that, I had to side eye my mum today. Having just washed my hair last night, I put half up and half down, and went to my Mum's house after work today. I'm going on holiday tomorrow, and she proceeds to ask me what I'm doing with my hair lol. I'm like, 'What do you mean? IT'S DONE.' I know she didn't mean it the way it came out, but I was in a mood with her and pms-ing and lightheartedly took offense lol.
We as a community are still stuck in our hair needing to be slicked down for it to be seen as presentable.

What do you all think about 4U by Tia Mowry? I first heard about from Aeleise of BGC. She had it posted in her stories that she couldn’t talk about it until it was ready. This was around January. I see it is out now.

There are several complaints about this brand from it causing flakes to mixed people taking over black spaces foolishness. Now Aeleise worked on it behind the scenes. I don’t know it was with the development, formula or simple photo shoots like she does for CurlMix. I don’t see her hand doing any styling though.

The price isn’t bad and the ingredients look good. It even has Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride. That’s the key ingredient that DevaCurl Curl Bond Serum and many of Kristin Ess’s hair prodThey say the only way to get rid of split ends is to cut them. However, we have an ingredient to help seal them — Naturally Derived Guar (bean paste) is scientifically known as hydroxypropyl guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride. This ingredient helps fill in cracks and holes in the hair shaft, providing a slick, smooth conditioning and zip ties split-end mending.

The directions of the products don’t talk about layering or mixing the products. So mixing the leave-in cream with the gel could be causing the problem with flaking. I don’t find her TikTok nor Instagram very compelling. I want to see how it works on various textures. I’d rather see professional stylists demo how to use it properly and then regular people show how it look once they styled it themselves. I’m only interested because of Aeleise, but it will be a while before I give it a try.

We as a community are still stuck in our hair needing to be slicked down for it to be seen as presentable.
That may true but nah for my mum. She's has never been of that mindset. She just meant, was I leaving it out or putting in extensions lol. She just has a way of wording things, coupled with the fact that I just styled it. She saw me two days before with a wig and a scarf lol.

I wore my hair out using the doux crazysexycurl and I was really feeling the volume. My hair really looked full with just the mousse. I slept on it and it still looked good so I went out with it.

I got stopped twice by stylists who asked me feverishly if I wanted to get my hair done. One told me you need your hair done.:(

I thought my hair looked so pretty today. Root to tip. It’s just not shiny or frizz free like I normally wear my hair. I liked the carefree and quick drying process of doing my hair with just mousse.

I added a pic of what my hair looked like

View attachment 487123
Your hair does look pretty! Don't pay these stylists out here any mind. They're just hungry for money. They'll have your hair all cut up looking like Cynthia and tell you it's fire if it pays their bills.

I finished my hair but just barely. I will try to take pictures tomorrow. Because I don't dry my hair, its hard to get good day 1 hair pictures.

I did better than usual and started coloring my hair in the morning. I was almost finished when the muscles in my back decided they were going to spasm. They spasmed so bad that I wasn't sure I was going to be able to rinse the color out of my hair :lol:

I got the plastic bag on my hair and was able to struggle down to the floor and stretch my back out enough to finish. Got up and rinsed out the color. :yay:
I tried to add more conditioner. I'm not sure if it worked or not.

I haven't did a wash and go in so long I had forgotten that I had purchased the large size of the ICH. I put my hair into 3 sections and used 2 pumps of UFD on teach section and 1 pump of ICH one each section. I used a dime size amount of Trepadora Bamboo on my entire head. I added water after the UFD but tried not to add too much. This is the first time that my hair was frothy. I think I wasn't adding enough ICH before.

Considering I haven't styled my hair since October, it was wearable. It is still weight as I type. Hopefully, it will dry enough that I don't have to blow dry it before bed. But if not then I will dry it on cool as much as possible.

Since I go to my stylist on the 22nd, I will just wear it curly until then.

My hair is 90% dry which is good enough for me to put my buff on without having to blow dry.

I can already tell I used too much gel but it is a good start. Next set I will use 1 less pump of UFD and 1 less pump of ICH and see how that goes. But this hair ain't going nowhere soon :lol:

What do you all think about 4U by Tia Mowry? I first heard about from Aeleise of BGC. She had it posted in her stories that she couldn’t talk about it until it was ready. This was around January. I see it is out now.

There are several complaints about this brand from it causing flakes to mixed people taking over black spaces foolishness. Now Aeleise worked on it behind the scenes. I don’t know it was with the development, formula or simple photo shoots like she does for CurlMix. I don’t see her hand doing any styling though.

The price isn’t bad and the ingredients look good. It even has Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride. That’s the key ingredient that DevaCurl Curl Bond Serum and many of Kristin Ess’s hair prodThey say the only way to get rid of split ends is to cut them. However, we have an ingredient to help seal them — Naturally Derived Guar (bean paste) is scientifically known as hydroxypropyl guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride. This ingredient helps fill in cracks and holes in the hair shaft, providing a slick, smooth conditioning and zip ties split-end mending.

The directions of the products don’t talk about layering or mixing the products. So mixing the leave-in cream with the gel could be causing the problem with flaking. I don’t find her TikTok nor Instagram very compelling. I want to see how it works on various textures. I’d rather see professional stylists demo how to use it properly and then regular people show how it look once they styled it themselves. I’m only interested because of Aeleise, but it will be a while before I give it a try.
Based off the current reviews on YouTube I will not be trying

I'm trying to think back on how I did my last wash n'go and figure out where I went wrong. This wash n'go is trash :confused: .
I know one mistake was doing a side part. It ain't for me. I'm guessing that my hair was too wet when I applied Leave-in Condish, even when I wrung out my hair in the shower. Mistake #3: I raked. I didn't rake a lot but my hair came out super piecey :rolleyes: instead of clumped. Possibly mistake #4: I used the Doux shampoo and conditioner but Miss Jessie styling products. This was the first time I mixed and matched like that. Now that question is do I rewash my hair or wear a bun :scratchchin: .

I did a wash and go with Mielle oats and honey hair balm and the doux sexy crazy curl mousse. My hair looks really nice but I feel like I get so much breakage when using mousse. It doesnt coat the hair like a gel would but it dries so much quicker which is why i like it. Mousse does nothing for my natural curl pattern though. All of the natural parts of my hair are straight up frizz. It makes me debate if i want to stay natural or to do an amino acid treatment and call it a day.

I'm trying to think back on how I did my last wash n'go and figure out where I went wrong. This wash n'go is trash :confused: .
I know one mistake was doing a side part. It ain't for me. I'm guessing that my hair was too wet when I applied Leave-in Condish, even when I wrung out my hair in the shower. Mistake #3: I raked. I didn't rake a lot but my hair came out super piecey :rolleyes: instead of clumped. Possibly mistake #4: I used the Doux shampoo and conditioner but Miss Jessie styling products. This was the first time I mixed and matched like that. Now that question is do I rewash my hair or wear a bun :scratchchin: .
I've never had super different results when I mix and match products vs using all one line. I know they are supposed to work together but I actually prefer to mix and match.

I did a wash and go with Mielle oats and honey hair balm and the doux sexy crazy curl mousse. My hair looks really nice but I feel like I get so much breakage when using mousse. It doesnt coat the hair like a gel would but it dries so much quicker which is why i like it. Mousse does nothing for my natural curl pattern though. All of the natural parts of my hair are straight up frizz. It makes me debate if i want to stay natural or to do an amino acid treatment and call it a day.
How are you applying it? For me, the Miche Beauty way of applying mousse gives me the most definition and lasts longer too.

Mismatching is always a toss up. At least, you are making note of this not so great combo.

I've never had super different results when I mix and match products vs using all one line. I know they are supposed to work together but I actually prefer to mix and match.
I used to mix and match all the time, but when I started using MJ the only thing they didn't have for me was a DC. Then I tried out the Doux and I was using those products exclusively together. I'm sure mixing and matching is fine. I'm just taking note of everything I did differently.

@Napp You're inspiring me to try a CrazySexyCurl mousse wash n'go again. I don't have enough Super Sonic left, so I'll be mixing and matching again :laugh: I just watched this video, and her hair came out so pretty.

This is day 7 of the UFD + ICH + ICV combo. Overall, my hair has shrunken instead of expanding even though it is less defined. A positive is that my hair feels so much lighter than usual.

I’m washing my hair tomorrow morning. I’m going to go heavy on ICV and very light on UFD to see what happens.

342E01CF-F5AA-459B-BA1C-001CB8CF81E8.jpeg812BCD39-2332-4038-91E6-DD94DBAE752B.jpeg2F6A9295-EF33-4A65-A351-C88AC1971DB5.jpeg

My hair is 90% dry which is good enough for me to put my buff on without having to blow dry.

I can already tell I used too much gel but it is a good start. Next set I will use 1 less pump of UFD and 1 less pump of ICH and see how that goes. But this hair ain't going nowhere soon :lol:
I wish I could style my hair at night and be dry enough to sleep on it. You are so lucky.

I wish I could style my hair at night and be dry enough to sleep on it. You are so lucky.
Oh No. I didn't style my hair at night :lol: I styled my hair at around 11 am and let it air dry all day and it was dry by 10. I don't do wash and goes at night. Even when I go to the stylist with a 5 pm appointment and sit under the dryer, my hair is still too damp to sleep on it. I need a good 3 hours after that to let it dry to sleep on.

Jello shot flaked on me when i used it with UFD. I also did not like the way it made my hair looked. It didn't flake initially but on day 3 my hair was full of snow

I'm just throwing something out there but is it possible the conditioners you are using are too heavy and the UFD isn't bonding to your hair? Or perhaps it isn't the right shampoo and conditioner combo and so its not a clean slate for gel?

Looking at your hair, whatever products you use I would think you need very little to set your hair. Have you tried using a little less topper?

Last edited:
I'm just throwing something out there but is it possible the conditioners you are using are too heavy and the UFD isn't bonding to your hair? Or perhaps it isn't the right shampoo and conditioner combo and so its not a clean slate for gel?

Looking at your hair, whatever products you use I would think you need very little to set your hair. Have you tried using a little less topper?
Idk as I ended up giving both away. I don’t like UFD at all. It doesn’t work for my hair old and new formula

Can anyone recommend some hard holding flake free gels? my hair looks good till day 2-3 bt then flakes miserably. im trying to shoot for 7+day wash and goes
Hmm, I don't know any that you haven't tried yet. The Doux Bee Gurl Custard is hard and flakes on me. You don't like All About Curls High Definition Gel. Everything else I can think of is more of a firm crispy cast. Would you be interested in those type?

Back