Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

I got my curly cut yesterday. She styles my hair so differently than I do. She spends a lot more time smoothing than I do. And rakes in small sections and she rakes slowly so my hair doesn’t spring up as much as when I rake so my hair is a lot more elongated. It looks completely different and I’m not sure I like it, but I may try it next time I wash.
She also dries on cool, so it takes her forever to dry my hair. I was there for close to 3 hours and my hair still wasn’t fully dry when I left.

On the plus side, when I asked her if I had waited too long between trims, she said my timing seemed good. So I’m going to keep my 6 month trim schedule I think that will help me retain length better. She thought I had been there only 4 months ago so she’s probably sad that she’s losing out on one visit/year. But she’s super expensive and twice a year is more reasonable for me.

I got my curly cut yesterday. She styles my hair so differently than I do. She spends a lot more time smoothing than I do. And rakes in small sections and she rakes slowly so my hair doesn’t spring up as much as when I rake so my hair is a lot more elongated. It looks completely different and I’m not sure I like it, but I may try it next time I wash.
She also dries on cool, so it takes her forever to dry my hair. I was there for close to 3 hours and my hair still wasn’t fully dry when I left.

On the plus side, when I asked her if I had waited too long between trims, she said my timing seemed good. So I’m going to keep my 6 month trim schedule I think that will help me retain length better. She thought I had been there only 4 months ago so she’s probably sad that she’s losing out on one visit/year. But she’s super expensive and twice a year is more reasonable for me.
Pics?!?

I’m sitting under the dryer now. I let time slip away yesterday, so I washed my hair today. Great wash day! My hair is back on track. I used my little combo with Mielle Pom custard and AP rose water mousse. It took a long time styling my hair, since I applied product, sprayed with water and smoothed it in, used my detangling brush, then applied mousse to small sections.

My hair felt good on day 5 (today), but I didn’t want to take any chances. I was contemplating using a pre-poo, but decided against it. I feel like I am starting to get my rhythm with styling and wearing a wash and go beyond one day.

I just finished my hair. I washed with Lady's First and conditioned with Super Sonic. I styled my hair with Crazy Sexy Curl by itself and blowdried it completely dry. I scrunched to get more of a curl. It took me only 30 mins from washing to styling.

I'm loving the results so far! Volume and definition! Let's go!!

20221222_145601.jpg20221222_145459.jpg20221222_145444.jpg

Last edited:
I just finished my hair. I washed with Lady's First and conditioned with Super Sonic. I styled my hair with Crazy Sexy Curl by itself and blowdried it completely dry. I scrunched to get more of a curl. It took me only 30 mins from washing to styling.

I'm loving the results so far! Volume and definition! Let's go!!

View attachment 485205View attachment 485207View attachment 485209
Great results! I really like crazysexycurl mousse. I have a little bit left that I’m saving if I ever do a wash and go again lol

This is my hair one day after my cut & styling. Sleeping in my slap made it look a lot more uneven than it did yesterday. And her styling makes it look so flat and low volume.
She cut it on my styling and I liked how it looked at that point. I like my curly hair, but it’s very unpredictable. But I won’t rewash until I get back from visiting my family for Christmas.
8EC239D3-6F9A-4A11-B72C-73988166D3ED.jpeg

I tried something different - finger coils using Camille Rose butter gel as both a leave in and styler. My hair is not photogenic because it actually looks better in real life. I wasn't super thorough in my coiling so my roots are puffy but that's giving it some volume. Still I'm not sure I'm feeling it. I'll see how it lasts.

I've been growing my hair out, but I just went back and looked at pics in my album of my tapered fro. I miss it. I may go back to it next year.

1671801102651.png

Yeah that's I don't go every 3 months any more. They cut off way too much hair.

Any tips on trimming your own hair at home? I'm done with salons and professional stylists for the foreseeable future. I just came back from the salon near me, and they cut off all the length I grew this year. I genuinely feel like I could cry, especially since my hair is so slow to grow.

I've tried different stylists in my area over the years, and I either lose a lot of length in the name of perfect shape (even though I've told every single one that I just want a trim and shape doesn't matter to me that much), or they don't know how to deal with kinky hair. The one stylist who respected my wishes and was skilled with my hair has retired unfortunately. And I know how to style my hair - all I need is a trim on my curly hair. At this point, I'm going to stop wasting money only to end up in tears.

Any tips on trimming your own hair at home? I'm done with salons and professional stylists for the foreseeable future. I just came back from the salon near me, and they cut off all the length I grew this year. I genuinely feel like I could cry, especially since my hair is so slow to grow.

I've tried different stylists in my area over the years, and I either lose a lot of length in the name of perfect shape (even though I've told every single one that I just want a trim and shape doesn't matter to me that much), or they don't know how to deal with kinky hair. The one stylist who respected my wishes and was skilled with my hair has retired unfortunately. And I know how to style my hair - all I need is a trim on my curly hair. At this point, I'm going to stop wasting money only to end up in tears.

So sorry this happened to you. This happened to me too. I'm still not over it and get upset every time I think about it. My hair could have been this long by now. Grrr. All that work for nothing.

I'm not getting trims by a cut it kinky stylist again for now. I try to do my own trims in twists now. That's all I got. I'll see how effective it is in a year. But so far so good.

I had a lot going on yesterday, so I didn’t get a chance to wash and set my hair. My hair still feels nice, but today is the day.

I’m sitting under the dryer now….I didn’t have a good experience. I don’t know if it has something to do with the water, or I didn’t use a conditioner with silicone. Also, I tried to rush through with applying the custard and called myself not detangling again, so when I applied the mousse, I decided to section my hair off more and use the detangling brush to remove any tangles and shed hairs I didn’t get the first time. I really think it’s my water (hard) and trying to go silicone free with conditioner.

Last edited:
I will definitely wash my hair today! My hair feels fine, but I can feel the moisture fading away. It is cold and windy as the dickens out here and there is no humidity! I have the heat on high in my home too. My body is dry and dehydrated period!
I'm experiencing the same thing!! I'm just dry all over. I think that I'm going to start bunning to protect my hair from the heat and cold.

My hair feels like I should wash it today. I will use a conditioner with comes and use a shampoo or rinse that might help with the hard water.

So I realized I don’t have any conditioners with cones in them.. But I had a good wash day experience today. I’m sitting under the dryer now. This should last me until Sunday. I need to stay on my wash day schedule.

Last edited:
My hair feels like I should wash it today. I will use a conditioner with comes and use a shampoo or rinse that might help with the hard water.

So I realized I don’t have any conditioners with cones in them.. But I had a good wash day experience today. I’m sitting under the dryer now. This should last me until Sunday. I need to stay on my wash day schedule.
Why do you want to use a conditioner with cones?

Back