Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

As far as cleansing I'm still following my same methods. As far as styling, I'm not feeling a curly set right now. I don't see one in my future until the weather warms up again.

Yesterday, I shampooed with TGIN shampoo and then with Madison Reed moisturizing shampoo. Since I'm not really being loving to my hair, I used the TGIN deep conditioner which I still love. I wore a plastic cap for a while and when I took it off my hair felt so butter soft. Being super lazy I still haven't rinsed it out. Instead I put in 4 flat twist on each side. My plan is to rinse later today but blow dry it and put flat twist back in. I think this is my go to until Spring.

Hopefully by Spring my hair will be longer and I feel more motivated to wear it curly :lol:

I was hoping K18 had a black friday sale but no dice. Just going to have to bite the bullet and pay full price. Need to go across town to Sephora and pick some up.
I just saw an ad on YT for a sale or a code.

I washed my hair and the DE Oat and Henna gave me squeaky clean hair! I don’t think I will need to clarify for awhile. That was utterly ridiculous! Lol I’m styling my hair now and I’m still trying to figure out what method to use. This is straight up wet setting and not a wash and go! It feels like I’m doing a roller set!

Well now I’m just taking big sections, applying product, since I still have to detangle due to clarifying my hair ( I used a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner afterwards). I’m smoothing the sections and keeping it moving, no raking or shingling.
I won’t use that clarifying shampoo again
unless it is extremely necessary.

I like the stylers I am using today. They aren’t drying at all so far. Also, going 5 days without washing my hair and scalp is a no no! I had to stop doing my hair to take care of something. Now I gotta re-wet my hair again and hurry up before the rest of my head dries!!

I’m sitting under the dryer now. I used a gel and mousse instead of a custard and mousse. This will have a harder cast, but I’m fine with that. I used the African Pride stylers. I applied a little bit of the Super Sonic conditioner for a leave-in to my crown. The clarifying shampoo zapped all of the moisture out of my hair!

Out of the under the dyer! Boy, did I look like I had a Carefree Curl! Lol I sprayed a little CON Honey oil spray (I don’t know the name) and tried to fluff the coils out a bit. I don’t have a pick, so I couldn’t add more volume, but that’s ok. I don’t need to start picking my hair out like that. I played with my hair a bit, and now I got my scarf thingy on. I used the Curl Defining Gel. The hold felt like a medium hold, until I added the mousse. Products smell nice too. This set will hold up through the hot flashes.

Last edited:
Day 3 - my hair feels nice. I still have a crunch/hold but I used two stylers, so yeah… My scalp feels good and light so no allergy issues from the products. I’m happy with my choices.

I am also going to embrace my shrinkage. My hair is super springy and that’s great! Usually at this length is the cut off for me when it comes to wash and gos, but now I found a way to make them work, while retaining length, this will be my signature style. I don’t have time or patience for twists and I like to wash my hair 2x a week. I was so worried about job hunting and my hair. Now I have a styling option that works for my lifestyle and where I am trying to go in life. Thank the Lord for the Crown Act and I hope the movement continues until it’s just a way of being for all!

I may spray my hair today with my refresher, since I like sitting all up in front of space heaters! Lol I just like spraying stuff! I’m not on the No this and that journey, but I’m all for people properly washing their hair and black folks getting over the fear of water.

I re did my hair I think about a week ago (week ago) but now I’m being lazy and I need to get it together.

imma pick up some African Pride Prepoo after work. I don’t have anymore. And detangle.

Being lazy in a washngo is not good for me. My hair will lock up on the ends in a minute. I don’t have patience to sit there endlessly so I will snip it away in a minute.

I put two ponytails in last night and shook it out this morning. Stretchy fro for the win.

Attachments

• 23EF1574-A87D-4561-9740-27FFB005A518.jpeg
    23EF1574-A87D-4561-9740-27FFB005A518.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I wonder if I should pre-poo my hair? I think I would only do that if I went a whole week or more. That’s why I’m trying to go 3-4 days before I wash my hair. Yeah I don’t think I need to today..

Do you ladies pre-poo every wash day? How long do you go between washing or cowashing your hair?

I wonder if I should pre-poo my hair? I think I would only do that if I went a whole week or more. That’s why I’m trying to go 3-4 days before I wash my hair. Yeah I don’t think I need to today..

Do you ladies pre-poo every wash day? How long do you go between washing or cowashing your hair?
I no longer pre-poo even if I go 10 days. But I do take more time up front rinsing and separating my strands under water before I shampoo.

I typically cleanse, condition, style every 5 to 7 days because it is just easier to do my hair over the weekend. If I do my hair mid-week for whatever reason, I may just rinse and condition. It varies based on how lazy I am being. Sometimes mid-week I will rinse and condition and sometimes I will cleanse with a moisturizing shampoo and condition. I do sort of feel my way through my wash day and based it on what is going on with my hair at the moment.

I'm not as consistent with my routine as some of the other ladies because I switch between different styles.

@faithVA
I just washed my hair and now I’m detangling it. I got out of the shower to do, since as soon as my hair got wet, it was shrinkage up! Me clarifying my hair Saturday Really did a number on me! Lol It’s not too bad, but I have to take my time now with detangling.
After you clarified on Saturday, did you do your second shampoo with a very moisturizing shampoo? What was your second shampoo?

Only pre-pooing I do is using olaplex. I try to wash every 5-6 ish days unless I'm in mini twists or have blowout or straightened. I'll cowash mini twists. Blowout / straightened hair I'll go 7-8ish days.

After you clarified on Saturday, did you do your second shampoo with a very moisturizing shampoo? What was your second shampoo?
That shampoo was not moisturizing enough. It was a moisture/protein balancing shampoo and DE Protein and Henna is a strengthening shampoo. I should have used DE Lavender.
I’m sitting under the dryer now. I set my hair with Nairobi. I used that Super Sonic conditioner for a leave-in. I will prepoo next wash day. I have that prepoo slimy stuff (I cannot think of the name right now).

That shampoo was not moisturizing enough. It was a moisture/protein balancing shampoo and DE Protein and Henna is a strengthening shampoo. I should have used DE Lavender.
I’m sitting under the dryer now. I set my hair with Nairobi. I used that Super Sonic conditioner for a leave-in. I will prepoo next wash day. I have that prepoo slimy stuff (I cannot think of the name right now).
Yes, your second shampoo should be highly moisturizing to return your hair to its proper state. It shouldn't be a protein or even an all purpose shampoo especially if you have small coils. This is the biggest lesson and blessing that I learned from them and it completely changed the way my hair acts. My second shampoo is always moisturizing no matter what else I do on cleanse day.

I don’t pre-poo even if I go 10 days between washes. I just accept that detangling is going to take a bit longer and suffer through it. When I wash tomorow it’s going to be 12 days. I haven’t gone that long without washing since my vacation this summer. I’m not looking forward to it.

The Doux Super Sonic conditioner won’t do right by me.. smh I cowashed my hair, detangled, and applied that conditioner as a leave-in. I would have been better off spraying my hair with water.. I applied some Nairobi foam and I’m good until Saturday wash day.

What did you use?

I didn't have all of my regular products on hand, but I used Nexxus Therappe shampoo, Nexxus Humectress conditioner, and Nurture for a one-product WNG. I'm not 100% sure if it was the products or the fact that the weather is a bit cooler/less humid in Florida this time of year. I'm going to use these products again when I wash tomorrow to see if it holds up the same way.

I haven't pre-poo'd in years LOL! I feel like shampoos have gotten so much better and much more moisturizing than they were back in the day that pre-pooing seems like an unnecessary step.

If my hair is more tangled than usual, I found that using a good slippery cowash (like MJ Don't Want No Suds) does the trick.

Last edited:
I haven't pre-poo'd in years LOL! I feel like shampoos have gotten so much better and much more moisturizing than they were back in the day that pre-pooing seems like an unnecessary step.

If my hair is more tangled than usual, I found that using a good slippery cowash (like MJ Don't Want No Suds) does the trick.
I prepoo’Ed and detangled before I shampooed my hair. I can actually detangle with the shampoo I usually use, but I shed a lot and wanted to remove as much hair as possible before I got my hair wet. My hair is like little spirals and coils, therefore shed hairs get caught up in them.

Back