~~~waist Length Dreams~~~ Challenge 2018

So guys, I had my first setback in years :( and I am back to APL/grazing BSL...so here's what happened: I went to my regular Dominican salon for a wash n set and...well, let's just say that there were a ton of knots that were NOT there before and now my hair is short.

My goal is still FULL MBL by the end of the year,but I doubt I'll make it. My plan is to wear my straight hair through March and then get some braids through the summer (with liberal breaks and care) and then check in with my hair in September.

Setbacks are a part of life, but I'm such a slow grower, it's upsetting.

I'm doing really well with my olive oil prepoo. It not only makes my fine hair stronger but also protects my hair from the shampoo, so I can give my scalp a really good cleaning once a week. Doing well from my personal no direct heat challenge. My hair is really soft and healthy. I'm a little bummed out it breaks and sheds so easily and I doubt I'll ever see WL but it's ok I'm still going to try.

I put HE Totally Twisted Conditioner on my braids, sat under the heat cap for a little over 30 minutes, CW'd and rinsed it out and rinsed out 80% of V05 Island Coconut Moisturizing Conditioner.

I LCOB'd with L = Cream & Coco 1000 Flowers Martini Mist, C = KJ Naturals Lemongrass Marshmallow Slip, O = Duafe Naturals Love Me on length, Mielle Organics on scalp & Sunny Isles JBCO on edges, B = Hairitage Hydration on ends.

I'm trying for waist in 2017.

I had a 4" setback going from relaxed to natural and wanted a break from worry. But, I figure that a challenge may help keep me on track.

Starting length: MBL

Goal month: Earliest (with no setbacks) : End Of December 2016. Latest: February 2017

Inches from waist: Approx 4"

Regimen: Keratin/ Deep Conditioning/ Coconut Oil/ Little Heat & Protective Styling.

Most current pic straightened:
79f1cb12a3daff3b66f5e85cfacf6d9f_zpsa8tq7bln.jpg

After the above pic, taken a few days ago, I've trimmed a half inch and have been doing search and destroys. It's a bit see through at the ends, but it looks nice when curled and those strands are healthy, so Im keeping them.

So guys, I had my first setback in years :( and I am back to APL/grazing BSL...so here's what happened: I went to my regular Dominican salon for a wash n set and...well, let's just say that there were a ton of knots that were NOT there before and now my hair is short.

My goal is still FULL MBL by the end of the year,but I doubt I'll make it. My plan is to wear my straight hair through March and then get some braids through the summer (with liberal breaks and care) and then check in with my hair in September.

So sorry to hear that @itsjusthair88 :( Why were there so many knots?

@Godyssey Welcome to the challenge!

@itsjusthair88 I'm really sorry...Setbacks totally suck...I have had several since I joined the board and they are always disheartening and depressing. BUT...at least you have a plan and your plan sounds very practical and do-able. Also, this challenge doesn't end until 2017 so don't give up hope! We're here for you! :bighug:

Current Length: Full SL (layered)
Ultimate Goal: TBL (layered)
Regimen: I joined the Rollersetting Challenge so that is my hairstyle of choice for now. I will also be DC'ing weekly (because of the color).
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 10.5 inches
Natural/Relaxed/Other: (OPTIONAL) Natural and Colored
Tips/Tricks: I have learned that trying to incorporate too much will just make me go crazy and doesn't necessarily aid in growth. I take an OTC prenatal vit (along with other vits for general health). My hair loves Coconut and Grapeseed Oil so I massage my scalp regularly. I may try Inversion...other than that I'm on the KISS plan :spinning:
Issues or difficulties you're having/Things you're tweaking to grow or retain more: I have color and I will always have color so I have to work around the color...This can make the process more difficult so I have to remember to stay positive and not compare my growth to these other gorgeous heads of hair on the board :gorgeous:!
Starting Pic: Starting Pic March 9 2016.jpg

Last edited:
Today was CoWash Saturday:
  • Pre-poo'd overnight with my AVJ spritz & Duafe Naturals Whipped Amla on ends.
  • Applied Mane Choice Green Tea & Carrots DC and went under my heat cap for an hour.
  • Used CC's Naturals Scalp Scrub, CW'd my length with Ynobe's Pumpkin Silk, reconstructed with Ion & rinsed out 80% of HE Hello Hydration.
  • LCOB'd with L = Aphogee Curlific, C = HydroQuench Leave In, O = Macadamia Healing on length & Kreyol Essence Orange HBCO on edges, B = Liquid Gold's Green Magic on scalp & Belle Butters Orange Dream Cream on ends.

So sorry to hear that @itsjusthair88 :( Why were there so many knots?

Cause she didn't know how to deal with textured hair and I didn't stop her in time :( It's OK, I'm not that upset about it anymore

@itsjusthair88 I'm really sorry...Setbacks totally suck...I have had several since I joined the board and they are always disheartening and depressing. BUT...at least you have a plan and your plan sounds very practical and do-able. Also, this challenge doesn't end until 2017 so don't give up hope! We're here for you! :bighug:

Thank you - I am such a slow grower though, I'm not sure I'll make it to WL by then, but I'm going to try!

Cause she didn't know how to deal with textured hair and I didn't stop her in time :( It's OK, I'm not that upset about it anymore

Thank you - I am such a slow grower though, I'm not sure I'll make it to WL by then, but I'm going to try!
That's the spirit!!! :bouncy:

I plan on deep conditioning and getting my braid. My sister will doing it for free... So I'm super happy about not spending money to get it done.:amen: I try to post pictures.

Today is going to be a busy day but this evening, I am definitely going to do a full re-rolling of my hair to freshen my rollerset. I'm trying to pick a DC day because that is also going to be my hair "spoil" day.

Steamer.jpg I'm currently sitting under the steamer. I DC'ed with Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque and added Grapeseed oil. I cannot say that I'm sold on this masque, but I will use it up before I buy a different one. I plan on blow drying using my comb attachment (that I thought I had lost) and then rollersetting. It's going to be a long night...

Used a reconstructor from Nexxus after having it flat ironed. Gosh I love that product. Anyway just a couple of straight pieces, but I need a trim and those pieces are going to get snipped anyways. And I am now brushing BSL. Curly bun without having to wet my hair is so close!!!! :bouncy:

I'm still wigging it daily and washing weekly. I got 3 new Kerastase conditioners in the mail and they sent me some shampoo samples. I'm not sure what product combination to use tomorrow. I think I'll do the Ion Healthy scalp shampoo and dc with Masquintense (moisturizing mask). Next wash day is on the Spring Equinox so I will straighten, trim and do a length check.

I haven't LC since January. I don't plan on straightening my hair until June-July. As far as I can tell everything hair wise is okay. My hair washing schedule of every two weeks is killing me though. By day 9 I'm about to die. My twist look horrible and my scalp starts to get itchy. I've been using less product during the week hoping that the itchies are due to product buildup and not just regular ol' dirty, stinky scalp.

Not sure, if I will be able to keep stretching wash days. If I do stick to my every two week wash schedule, I plan on wearing a twist out for the 2nd week. Because these twist start looking real special on week two...I can't!!!

Shampoo Saturday:
  • Pre-poo'd overnight with my AVJ spritz & Duafe Whipped Amla.
  • Applied a mix of ORS DC & Kapur/Kachri ayurvedic powder and went under my heat cap for a little over 1 hour.
  • Shampoo'd with Coco Curls, CW'd my length with Ynobe's Pumpkin Silk & TJ's Tea Tree Tingle, reconstructed with Ion & rinsed out 80% of HE Hello Hydration & ACV rinse.
  • LCOB'd with L = Alikay's Lemongrass, C = HQ Leave In, O = Macadamia Healing on length & Kreyol Essence Chocolate HBCO on edges, B = Liquid Gold's Green Magic on scalp & Cream & Coco's Moonflower on ends.

Hey ladies. Still in this to win this. I'm going to do an informal pull down LC of my nape next week. I'm hoping for that elusive 12" I'm going to join a gym. I haven't worked out in almost 2 years. smh. lol Maybe I'll see a little boost after my blood starts pumping. Today I'm going to do my regular wash day...shampoo, dc, moisturize, seal. I might wear a bun this week though.

I lost a lot of hair during my olive oil pre poo process :mad: I took a length check pic for by BSL challenge while it was wet the other day bc I am PETrified of heat now. I might have to go and get a trim though soon.... and obviously use some but I think I will b ok.

Attachments

• Length Check 19 March 16.png
    Length Check 19 March 16.png
    181.8 KB · Views: 37
Back