Waist Length 2012 Challenge

Hey Ladies! Im officially texlaxed and 7 weeks post. LOVING it!! Sorry I havent been around much, but Im back now. As soon as I get settled, Ill upload pics of the texlax that I did on my Natural hair in October. Im gonna try and stretch for at least 12 weeks. Since October, I havent been doing too many different things with my hair, almost the same as when I was natural: Chunky twists & chunky braids 90% of the time. I have made the switch to using alot of ayurvedic powders in my regime. I also recently hennaed my hair. Funny Story: I added coffee to the henna to make it browner............long story short.........Ive been washing coffee out of my hair for the last 2 weeks!!! :ohwell::lol: DEFINITELY a lesson learned! However, I LOVE the color it left me with. (a rich, chocolately, brown) I should really be slapping my wrist, because I have NOT been on my strict regime game like I wanted to be. I gotta get on track, especially since its winter and Im relaxed now. Sooooo what are my plans for my hair to help me with stretching??............ twist extensions, weaves, braid outs, chunky twists and flexirod sets. How does this sound?

@NikkiQ- Im thinking I wanna try a flexirod set next week, we'll see how it comes out! I havent curled my own hair in like 4 years, since I started going natural, so dont be suprised if I come out looking like a jacked up, black Shirley Temple! :spinning:

Last edited:
Braids or two strand flat twists for me into some up do. I am stepping up my workouts so I don't want to worry about anything more than keeping up my reggie. I can't wait to see your pictures ladies!

Hello everyone.

Just a small update (sorry, no pics yet). My sister flatironed a small section of my hair, and the back is just about barely two inches from apl. My bang is a little bit past my chin. Both my mother and sister said they've never seen my hair this long (my mother:"...since I've been taking care of it"). I'm just happy to see some progress, and I'm actually confident I can make WL by the end of 2012.

I will do a thorough length check at the end of the month and post pictures.

I hate moving. Kept me away from the forum(no internet) but I'm up and running again. What did I miss??

Oh we're all just anxious to see progress pic's and such. I have been so busy at work it's insane and my pc got a little sic so I haven't been able to post pictures of my newest protective style. I am working on really learning to braid and 2 strand flat twist.

Hey yall!

Finals are over, so I am freeeeeeee! Time to give a little tlc to my hair. A henna treatment and dc are way over due.

Welcome back Naturallista!

I am getting really excited to see all of the progress pictures. I want to cheer and do the happy dance with my sister's in this thread.

Hello everyone.

Just a small update (sorry, no pics yet). My sister flatironed a small section of my hair, and the back is just about barely two inches from apl. My bang is a little bit past my chin. Both my mother and sister said they've never seen my hair this long (my mother:"...since I've been taking care of it"). I'm just happy to see some progress, and I'm actually confident I can make WL by the end of 2012.

I will do a thorough length check at the end of the month and post pictures.

Hey, @MaxJones! Congrats on your growth..my hair is about the same length as yours. Hopefully we can both reach waist length at the same time! :)

Braids or two strand flat twists for me into some up do. I am stepping up my workouts so I don't want to worry about anything more than keeping up my reggie. I can't wait to see your pictures ladies!

Hey Bigmommah!
Tell me, what kind of workout are you doing?
Also, if I remember correctly, you workout EVERYMORNING before heading out to work. How do you DO it? When I try..seems like I can only get through about two days out of the week with working out early in the morning..:nono:
Please enlighten me :)

I never understood hair anorexia until now lol. I am positive that when I relax my hair I will be BSL but it doesn't seem long. I remember before my HHJ I used to always say I want my hair to go to my bra strap (before I even knew about hair boards) but now that it's there it's not enough! Now watch I'm not gonna stop stressing until I'm hip length hahaha.

I'll post pictures when I relax and straighten my hair on like sometime later this week probably after Christmas because I'm 99.9% sure that I am getting a sedu! :)

Hey Bigmommah!
Tell me, what kind of workout are you doing?
Also, if I remember correctly, you workout EVERYMORNING before heading out to work. How do you DO it? When I try..seems like I can only get through about two days out of the week with working out early in the morning..:nono:
Please enlighten me :)

D.Lisha part of it is that I am a morning person so getting up in the morning at 4:45 doesn't really bother me all that much. It sets the tone for my day.

If you're not a morning person don't work out in the morning. :grin: It seems simple but you are more likely to work out consistently when the schedule agrees with your inner clock.

As far as the daily part goes I made a commitment to myself to be healthier. I have several health issues that could put a hamper on my life and I just decided to not let that happen. I made it a goal that I tracked/track every day and it gets easier the longer I do it.

Last edited:
I can't wait either NikkiQ!

Gah I'm starting to dream that my hair has shrunk into my scalp so I'm losing progress. My ng is serious now at 21 weeks post so if my hair isn't stretched in some manner I look a bit like a Who that escaped from Whoville. I am looking forward to flat ironing my hair on the 1st to see what I'm working with.

Did my Aphogee 2min Keratin Treatment tonight along with a nice and long DC. My hair feels very soft even though it's in braids to help detangling go a little smoother.

Okay it's official. That 2min treatment is now gonna be one of my staples. My hair felt AMAZING afterwards! I can't wait to flat iron it tomorrow. It's braided and hidden under my wig today to make detangling easier tomorrow :yep:

Okay it's official. That 2min treatment is now gonna be one of my staples. My hair felt AMAZING afterwards! I can't wait to flat iron it tomorrow. It's braided and hidden under my wig today to make detangling easier tomorrow :yep:

My hair loves that Aphogee 2 min. Soft, soft hair after 30 min.:look:

Here's my end of year pics. June 2010 vs Dec 2010. I am 6 mths post.

Attachments

• hair journey 187.jpg
    hair journey 187.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 23
  • hair journey 326.jpg
    hair journey 326.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 25
Here's my update:

12/22/09
022.jpg

12/24/10
yearend.JPG

I got alot of thickness and a wee bit of growth, but I'm satisfied. You could have never convinced me that my hair would ever be this length a few years ago.

PS: these pics show me that I need to get back on my workout grind. My waist brought some cousins over to play this year and they moved in permanently.:nono: Starting 1/1/11 , It's crunch time, literally!

Now that the bulk of my hair has caught up to the lead hairs, its time to get mo' length. I'm looking forward to MBL in 2011. Maybe even some lead hairs grazing waist. *Pours hair fairy dust on her own head and leaves the bottle half full.* Grab it ladies!!!:lachen::grin::lachen:

Last edited:
Starting pic..

Regime

Wash and DC weekly
braid outs and WNG (depending on the season)
Vasoline to seal
homemade DC mixture nightly
Protein as needed..

Here's my update:

12/22/09
View attachment 103411

12/24/10
View attachment 103413

I got alot of thickness and a wee bit of growth, but I'm satisfied. You could have never convinced me that my hair would ever be this length a few years ago.

PS: these pics show me that I need to get back on my workout grind. My waist brought some cousins over to play this year and they moved in permanently.:nono: Starting 1/1/11 , It's crunch time, literally!

Now that the bulk of my hair has caught up to the lead hairs, its time to get mo' length. I'm looking forward to MBL in 2011. Maybe even some lead hairs grazing waist. *Pours hair fairy dust on her own head and leaves the bottle half full.* Grab it ladies!!!:lachen::grin::lachen:

You look like you are already MBL to me! Way to grow!

Hello everyone!

Happy Holidays, welcome new members, and welcome back to those who have been m.i.a.

So glad to see the progress pics roll in...but, I need more!!!! Come on ladies! :pics: :supergrin:

So ladies I flat ironed my hair on Christmas Eve but the results were rather disappointing. While the progress my hair has made is great, my flat iron didn't even make it through to the end. By the time I was half way done, it started to revert immediately. I did take pics during the process, but none when I was done. On Christmas morning, I did a sorry flat iron on just the back just to have some sort of comparison shot. I've decided I'm going in for a good trim and start the new year off fresh.

New entry ladies. I'm at MBL now but I'm trimming to BSL in January and three more times during 2011 so it may take me a minute to get to WL. Going for the thick even ends and all that. Happy growing to us all!!:grin:

Regimen

Moisturize twice daily.

Wear hair up (in bun or plastic clips) most of the time.

Once per week - Pre-poo w/conditioner or oil, shampoo, deep condition (moisture or protein as needed) and air dry.

Once per week - Pre-poo w/conditioner or oil, co-wash, roller set and bonnet dry

(Clarify once a month)

Relax every 10-12 weeks with Design Essentials Time Release Relaxer

Please forgive the lack of products. I am currently experimenting with various organic products and I have not yet found my staples. I will report my experiences in my updates.

Thanks!!

Back