Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (7/1/2012 - 9/30/2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
jprayze nice. I had adventures in bunning this week myself

Hi everybody,
So I saw this video this week and got inspired, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpdlLfjXxgs.

Do you know I actually thought my bun was going to be as lush as hers?

At this point I'm realizing two things:
1. I just got a big old dome
2. My hair is making me laugh. The front is like 'nah', the back is like 'hope'.;)

We're getting to the last month of this challenge/ HHJ.

Attachments

• IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
MeowMix said:
jprayze nice. I had adventures in bunning this week myself

Hi everybody,
So I saw this video this week and got inspired, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpdlLfjXxgs.

Do you know I actually thought my bun was going to be as lush as hers?

At this point I'm realizing two things:
1. I just got a big old dome
2. My hair is making me laugh. The front is like 'nah', the back is like 'hope'.;)

We're getting to the last month of this challenge/ HHJ.

You will get there...to that lushness :)

I never thought I'd say this... but I'm starting to get bored with twists. I may start taking advantage of wearing my hair out for a couple days by doing a twist outs.

However, I went on three dates with a guy and he loves my twists. It's kinda weird because he's white and I figured he wouldn't be into it... but he likes them a lot more than I'd ever expect so that's a good thing...

I took my mini braids out and it was surprisingly easy. I think using flaxseed gel was great on my hair.

I didn't get a chance to fully detangle and wash it yet, so I put it in 2 flat twists until I can get to it

Hey ladies. :wave: I know I have been MIA! Sorry! I am still in twists! Been in this set for 2 weeks on Wednesday.
Friday I will DC, wash and do some medium sized twists which will hopefully last 3 weeks. Then for the last week of September I will finish this challenge off with a set of chunky twists.
I thought I would do more styles..but I am so dang lazy this summer. Maybe for the Fall??

Blurry pic, but best I have of this set. Sorry once again!

Attachments

• photo (30).JPG
    photo (30).JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 55
Hey ladies. :wave: I know I have been MIA! Sorry! I am still in twists! Been in this set for 2 weeks on Wednesday.
Friday I will DC, wash and do some medium sized twists which will hopefully last 3 weeks. Then for the last week of September I will finish this challenge off with a set of chunky twists.
I thought I would do more styles..but I am so dang lazy this summer. Maybe for the Fall??

Blurry pic, but best I have of this set. Sorry once again!

Your twists look pretty!

The 'princess leia'-type buns .. hopefully one day they'll be as lush as hers!

Attachments

• Photo on 27-08-2012 at 15.07 #2.jpg
    Photo on 27-08-2012 at 15.07 #2.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Photo on 27-08-2012 at 15.07 #3.jpg
    Photo on 27-08-2012 at 15.07 #3.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Photo on 27-08-2012 at 15.07 #4.jpg
    Photo on 27-08-2012 at 15.07 #4.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Photo on 27-08-2012 at 15.49.jpg
    Photo on 27-08-2012 at 15.49.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Photo on 27-08-2012 at 15.49 #2.jpg
    Photo on 27-08-2012 at 15.49 #2.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 24
SkySurfer, one day? How about they are lush now?:lachen:. I got a happy dance planned once I get puffs like yours.

MsDee14. Hey, that dress is so cute. I need to start framing my face with twist. That is a good look on you.

SkySurfer, one day? How about they are lush now?:lachen:. I got a happy dance planned once I get puffs like yours.

MsDee14. Hey, that dress is so cute. I need to start framing my face with twist. That is a good look on you.

Haha Thanks, MeowMix!
:lachen: at the bolded be sure to film it, spread the joy, girlll! :lol:

Hey ladies! Hope everybody is doing well :) Still boring bunning lol...never gets old...well it does, but it is helping me in more ways than one. Im lazy at times so the fact I can revert to this style in 5 minutes time regardless of what my hair looked like when I woke up is key to not getting frustrated with transitioning. If I hadnt discovered how to achieve this go to style I would have been in serious trouble trying to wrestle with the two textures all the time. No pressure to set my hair the night before unless I want to. It is also growing like a weed! I blow dried a section in the back out of curiosity and my hair has grown sooooo much since I chopped it to the bottom of my neck Mid May when I officially started my transition...and I even trimmed again a week or two ago. Ill wait til the challenge is over to post pics, but Im loving this challenge and hope we do it again. I dont even wear my hair out the 2 days we are allowed...Ive really only worn it out a few days since the challenge started.

jprayze Me likey! Did you bun your hair while wet?

MeowMix Wow, your hair is growing so quickly. Look how soft and moisturized it is... :lick: I'm also a fan of Ms. Danti's hair. She's very nice and helpful on Tumblr.

isawstars Isn't it nice when your date likes your hair? :grin: I get tired of my twists, too, which is why I've taken a break from them for two-three weeks. They'll be back around Friday or Saturday.

MsDee14 Thanks for popping back in with an update. Your twists look great. Lazy styling looks good on you.

SkySurfer Awww... Your hair is cute. So full!

Leslie_C Congrats! We will be hosting this again, no worries. I'm glad you are enjoying your transition by bunning. :)

I am in :love: with my fluffy twistout today. Planning to bun later this week using marley braid hair. It will be my first time trying it out *crosses fingers*

bajandoc86 said:
I am in :love: with my fluffy twistout today. Planning to bun later this week using marley braid hair. It will be my first time trying it out *crosses fingers*

Pics!?? Lol

Leslie_C

photo-93.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be out for the rest of the challenge :/ I installed some yarn braids yesterday, so they'll be in for awhile.

Good luck to everyone else still going strong! :D

I'm back in the gym.... so once every 2-3 days, I spritz my twists with ACV mixed with water then rinse my hair in the shower.
That has been leaving my hair looking a hot mess.
So, now I have to do my hair nightly. I typically do 2 flat twists in the front by spritzing my twists with water, sealing with oil, then applying Aloe Vera Gel around the perimeter then flat twisting. I then tie my hair with a satin scarf so when I wake up, I'm ready to go.

It barely even looks like I have twists in my hair anymore.:lol:
But health over hair..right??

Attachments

• photo (35).JPG
    photo (35).JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 36
  • photo (34).JPG
    photo (34).JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone has a good weekend. I'm in an unplanned puff today and will probably braid my hair before Sunday.

0831bantu.jpg

Just couldn't make it work
oops0381.jpg

Ahhh, headband.....

poof0831.jpg

MeowMix Your hair looks sooooo soft, full and moist all the time!

MsDee14 I can't even tell that your hair is still in twists; it doesn't matter, because the style looks classy and chic.

ETA: Oh, and here are some photos from the 'Everyday Styles' thread:

DSC02920-vi.jpg

tumblr_m9jmdvoP3X1qcn8jso1_500.jpg

DSC02934-vi.jpg

Here is my fluffy fluffy unplanned braid out. This was after a brisk walk so it was all over the place.

Last edited:
@MsDee14 ITA, classy look whether you can see the twists or not!

@MeowMix, a headband and/or puff can fix any failed style! Your hair looks so soft!

@NappyNelle purty hair and you need to show us your purrty face more often! It looks so shiny and soft...how did you achieve the look?

I prepood/washed/dc'd today and Im about to rinse it out...debating on twisting my hair for a twistout for the next couple of days or just going back to the bun. Ill think about it while I fix dinner in a few. My scarves are all over my house and car right now..need to gather them back up and put them in one place.

Do you ladies wear beanies in the fall/winter? Where is a cheap place to get them? I got a cream colored one and a black one on clearance a long time ago, but would like some earth tones. Do they dry out your hair at all? I think they are a cute accessory and would be great to make twists last a little longer or to hide some bantu knots,etc that arent dry yet for an "out" style.

Leslie_C :shocked: Awww thank you. *blushing like crazy* This was old, dirty hair coated in oil and braided. I had just finished my cardio when I took those photos. I thought the waves were strangely defined and shiny, so I took pics. I had planned on putting my hair in a bun/up-do.

ETA: I didn't answer your other question. No, I haven't worn any beanies, but I may in the future. I'm more of a beret fan. I know pookaloo83 has a lot of pretty beanies; I think she finds them at various BSSs. Is this right Pook?

Last edited:
NappyNelle. Thank you. Your pictures are giving me life. If I could take some like these, I'd get rid of my 'location';)

Leslie_C. Thanks. I've got to give some credit to the flash. Believe me, that is not I'm seeing real life. I have worn beanies in the fall/winter. I make sure to put a satin scarf underneath or a plastic cap if I'm conditioning.

Had to do an emergency style since I have an outing that came up unexpectedly. I LOVE it! My hair is getting bigger. :grin: I did a twistout puff with a pompadour.

Leslie_C

I wear beanies now! Lol... I have been wearing them the past 3 days bc I need to redo my fuzzy twists. Etsy.com has a lot of cute unique ones. A woman at the flea market knits and crochets berets and beanies to sell. She charges $4-5 depending on the yarn. You cant beat that price! And if course you can knit your own or ask a friend who is crafty like that. a lot of stores charge way too much for basic beanies....

Oh and to answer your question... I always wear a silk scarf underneath. I match the color of my scarf with my beanie if it's "hole-y" and you cany tell. Just slide the scarf back so you can show your hairline when you wear hats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back