Twist, Braid, Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/13 - 3/31/13)

Ooohhhhhhhh styling product! I'm so :nuts:. I never thought of putting styling product on after cowashing to bun. I need to be slapped for not thinking of that.:hardslap:

Lol it took a while for it to cross my mind before I started doing it.

I retwisted - medium twists on dry stretched hair. I tried the LOC method this time around. I can't wait for my hair to reach BSL.....hopefully my twists and twistouts will hang even better.

I am also thinking about not length checking at all until July this year at the earliest. Most likely not until September. :look: I just need to keep up with regular dustings and keep these ends fresh.

Pics of buns that I found on Pinterest:

201606520790940436_LLDejHU7_c.jpg

259590365991021989_nFiJTpMa_c.jpg

171981279490590338_KT7EFNSB_c.jpg

179651472606023540_spJkJlHt_c.jpg

137641332332588492_sBEzXTra_c.jpg

220183869251584191_FYyLSmmy_c.jpg

177821885256549816_MgkoOC4p_c.jpg

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
I just started twisting my hair for the first time last weekend. I loved it. So here I am. I usually wear buns, three days after washing. I would really like to hit MBL this year.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?

I wash my hair once a week. Sometimes I deep condition. Other times I sleep with conditioner in my hair the night before I wash. I spray a leave in, style and seal with oil at the ends.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? I can't believe I'm saying this...I think I'm transitioning. I am Texlaxed and haven't put chemicals in my hair in 7 months. You ladies are a bad influence on me. (just kidding) I'm very proud of myself for going BACK natural.

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
I want to hit Mid-back length. I would also like to learn about my natural hair texture and I honestly want the personal acknowledgement (to myself) that comes from having thick, natural hair. I already get a lot of "ohmygod your hair is thick" (lol) from family and friends and that is with a texlax. I want to be the woman that loves her hair the way it grows out of her scalp. But I also want to be able to straighten it and wear it long the way I love.

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
I have to twist it every night. So I will wash it when it doesn't look cute anymore. Usually that's within 1 week.

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
I hate to post pictures, but you guys are my sheroes..so...one second

Attachments

• Twist 1.JPG
    Twist 1.JPG
    2.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Bun1.JPG
    Bun1.JPG
    2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
For the ladies that cowash and bun, are you bunning right after cowashing or waiting until it dries to bun?

I co wash at night, let it airdry over night and bun in the morning with 100% dry hair.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
12 twists or braids into a ponytail or bun
2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
I will wear my primary style for 5 days then do a twist-out for 2 days, retwisting nightly, with weekly shampoo and co-washes.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
Natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
To have to trim my ends only twice a year instead of every 3 months and less SSKs.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
Probably every 2 days.
picture.php

Yeah so I think I may take my medium twists out and put in some large braids. I will wear my new beanie over them. My twists frizz up too much, especially since I've been putting this darned MN to my scalp every day.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Buns and twists

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? I will tie my hair up at night and maybe refresh the 'do every 2 days. Will wash and DC my hair every 2 weeks.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? To retain.

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days

attachment.php

Last edited:
Checking in! I went back to sealing my ends with JBCO & I see a difference already. I want to kick myself for stopping this. Anyway, I'm enjoying wet bunning, moisturizing with elasta QP & sealing with JBCO. Moist hair for at least 2 days!

Trying to bun my way to WL!

I think I'm going to twist my hair tomorrow. Not mini twists, just some medium sized ones. If not then I'm going to wash & bun again.

haha. my twists were supposed to be mini twists, but they arent really that mini at all. i guess they're slightly larger than mini-twists. that's okay, though.

BraunSugar - I LOVE all of the pictures you've posted. Very inspiring! If only I could make my fingers do all of those magical things... :ohwell:

I especially love the ones below, although they are all fantastic....

Attachments

• 518054763355454877_Rls95chQ_c.jpg
    518054763355454877_Rls95chQ_c.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 197243658649683729_xtSUWXLg_c.jpg
    197243658649683729_xtSUWXLg_c.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20477373275255500_VMPz4yZz_c.jpg
    20477373275255500_VMPz4yZz_c.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 39
  • 177821885256549816_MgkoOC4p_c.jpg
    177821885256549816_MgkoOC4p_c.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 177188566558938406_nyB4FxfK_c.jpg
    177188566558938406_nyB4FxfK_c.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 40
@BraunSugar - I LOVE all of the pictures you've posted. Very inspiring! If only I could make my fingers do all of those magical things... :ohwell:

I especially love the ones below, although they are all fantastic....

I look to Pinterest to help me keep PSing interesting. There are many of those styles I want to try myself, but I just don't have the patience to get them right. I think I may attempt some of the 2 strand twist updos. I don't even know anybody who could help me do half of those styles. :lol:

1. What is your primary style: Buns, Buns, Buns and more Buns.. 99% of the time

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Co-wash, DC, Moisturize with water based product, seal with oil and style in updo wet-bun.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Relaxed

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? 6 inches in one year and healthier ends

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? Usually I only wear wash n go's, so maybe the next day I will restyle into a bun

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). My Avatar.. ;)

Still wet bunning and loving it.
I'm also taking Spring Valley HSN w/Biotin from Walmart and Vibrant Health Green Drink

Just cowshed my hair with yes to carrot conditioner, washes the scalp on my hairline where I have dandruff with head and shoulders colour care anti dandruff shampoo and have put my hair in about 12 twists.

Hey Everybody

BraunSugar. How inspiring with the Pinterest photos. I recognized Kimmaytube and FushionofCultures.

Still on the mend. The plan for today is to cornrow.

Thanks for the 'tag', I'm DEFINITELY in :yep:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists and Buns
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? henna bi-weekly, dc bi-weekly,moisturize, seal,twist, scalp massages nightly using a shikakai herbal hair oil
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? a healthy scalp, healthy hair, length and moisture retention and a regimen that 'works'.. oh and to get some growth in my thinning crown area :perplexed (dang, seems like I'm expecting a LOT when I type it all out)
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after 2 days or 3 days? 2 but def no later than 3
6. Include Starting Pic. attached

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Will keep this in until Friday of next week.

Yes it's kind of old ladyish but easy for now. Lol

Sent From My Pheauxne

Attachments

• image-491612069.jpg
    image-491612069.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 46
  • image-929676714.jpg
    image-929676714.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 45
I'm in: plan to bun this session

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Top Buns

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Weekly: protein DC, scalp wash, oil rinse (castor oil). Daily: spritz, moisturizer, sealant & pomade.

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? thicker hair (V or U shaped back-- enhanced retention in middle/back areas) & even better understanding of my hair care & overall retention.

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after 2 days or 3 days? Don't plan to wear out-- If I do it'll be once- 2days

6. Include Starting Pic: I don't know why it's sideways, it's straight in my phone!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-1404499024.jpg
    image-1404499024.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Okay it is January and has been 83 the past couple of days. Time to try out my cowash & bun every 2 days regimen.

Sent from my Android...Boom.

83 degrees....
>>>> :cool: Jealous!
@NikkiQ
Does that warm weather help or hinder you hair goals?

It helps me maintain moisture since I don't have to worry about the cold weather drying out my hair, but the humidity puts any ideas of flat ironing on hold permanently :lol:

Back