TWA Support Thread

I'm always so surprised with the way my hair looks and feels after using a proteing conditioner. When I use AOGPB or even Giovanni's 50/50 my hair looks really shiny and healthy. My curls are all perfect little circles. The color even looks darker. I'm not complaining but I wonder why that is.

Now if only the moisture conditioners made my hair look that way.

I think I found a (almost!) hair twin! Ours is about the same length (except the crown), same fineness and texture!

Shoot... never did a straw set before :look: wonder if I'll have time this weekend. I'm hair-bored. :yawn::look:

TWA fine haired straw set

^^I wish we could put reminders on post to remind me to come back and look at this. I have things I want to come back to but later I just remember there is supposed I wanted to look at :nono: but can't remember the thread.

Should I shingle everytime I wanna wear my hair out. Is there a way to train my hair to bunch and form curls or do I just have to use a curl activator/Eco styler everytime I wanna wear my hair out since its so short?

I wanna wear it out this weekend. Surprisingly my SO likes my natural hair a lot (he said awhile ago he didnt like curly hair..i duno why he changed his mind but im glad) so I told him I would wear it out more often and I am going to see him this weekend.

I am planning on shingling the back and then blow drying it in the morning. I don't have a diffuser so I just blow dried on cool with my hand in the air flow and it kept the curls from frizzing out.
I am going to try Bantu knoting the top since its long enough and I still have to find perm rods (I haven't found a BSS near me yet).

I also tried a jimmy rigged way of DCing with heat (hot t shirt, heating pad and towel all wrapped over my head for 30 mins) It seems to have worked decently, I have been letting water get on it when I shower along with the steam everynight them spraying leavie in and sealing with oil over my flat twists (I was wigging this week), my hair seems to be holding moisture better.

Going to shampoo and do that DC method again tonight hopefully that will work.

The best thing just happened. When I walked in the door SO looked at me and said "did you do something different to your hair?" I did a regular old wash n go but I think since mixing products it's started to look better. Anyway, before I could answer he goes "Never mind it just looks different because it's longer. It looks nice" :grin: He noticed hair growth! Yayyy my hair is growing! Even though I don't notice anything at all.

I'm almost 2 months post bc and now almost 7 months post relaxer.

I am in love with mixed chicks. My curls stay and they are not heavy! It also gives my hair volume! I love big hair! And it smells good!

I feel like my hair and curls are similar to this ( Once I get some more length if I can do this I will be so happy.) this is so Gorgeous.

Attachments

• tumblr_mqvyv5pt9z1qfzv9co1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mqvyv5pt9z1qfzv9co1_500.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 41
faithVA

I think you might be onto something.

Look at what my hair line was doing tonight (with a little Eco styler to clump the curl for the pic).
I think that although my crown is natural, your right. After being relaxed for so long and flat ironing so much my hair was trained that way. Looks like its slowly catchin up!!! (Even with Eco it's suuuuuper frizzy).

Sorry it's sideways. Posting from my phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
[USER=375439 said:
hnntrr[/USER];18892373]faithVA

I think you might be onto something.

Look at what my hair line was doing tonight (with a little Eco styler to clump the curl for the pic).
I think that although my crown is natural, your right. After being relaxed for so long and flat ironing so much my hair was trained that way. Looks like its slowly catchin up!!! (Even with Eco it's suuuuuper frizzy).

Sorry it's sideways. Posting from my phone.

hmm, your roots look good. Your ends :nono: They are going to have to go at some point. Something is not quite right there. You will have nice curls as your hair grows out.

Yeah. I really don't know whats up with that. This is the first time they have actually curled. I will probably wait till .....October to trim them...hopefully that will give me another inch to work with.

I am so sad to have to do this again but happy as well that I don't have to deal with my hair again. I am here for the company

1. BC date
08.25.2013, not technically a bc as i had to cut to a fade as a result of scalp issues

2. Hair type/ describe your hair
4b/4c

3. Reggie/Products
Nothing for now just treating my scalp and trying to calm my psoriasis. After will start using the scalp treatments from a hair loss clinic I visited (minoxidil based ointments)

4. Goal(s)
I want to actually get comfortable with my hair at this length as the sad reality is that I might always have to keep it very low to manage the scalp issues well. But I would love to grow it to APL/BSL

5. Current pic or pic of BC

DSC01460 - Copy.jpg

DSC01461 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
I am so sad to have to do this again but happy as well that I don't have to deal with my hair again. I am here for the company

1. BC date
08.25.2013, not technically a bc as i had to cut to a fade as a result of scalp issues

2. Hair type/ describe your hair
4b/4c

3. Reggie/Products
Nothing for now just treating my scalp and trying to calm my psoriasis. After will start using the scalp treatments from a hair loss clinic I visited (minoxidil based ointments)

4. Goal(s)
I want to actually get comfortable with my hair at this length as the sad reality is that I might always have to keep it very low to manage the scalp issues well. But I would love to grow it to APL/BSL

View attachment 222753

View attachment 222755

:bighug: Glad to have you but sorry that it is under these circumstances.

Can you have coarse and fine hairs?
I was washing my hair today and most of it felt find except the very top middle of my head felt like a protein overload. You know how it feels slick but kinda like someone put Elmer's glue in your head?...but just in the middle of my head like top middle. It's really weird.

Man! When will I qualify as a TA, and not a TWA!? Hahaha! My hair grows so slow, but I have to say this no heat thing is working. My hair just feels so nice! My husband can't keep his hands out of it! I can't either! I'm just aggravated because now that my hair is healthy for some reason I thought it would grow faster.

Good news check in!

Partial protein overload in the middle if my crown had Ben dealt with. I finally realized that my nape and the middle of my crown has softer hairs than the rest of my head which explains why those areas broke off the most and didn't retain.

Now my nape is 1 1/2 -2 inches from SL. The back of my head is NL, sides 1/2-3/4 in to chin length. My hairline crown is at mid eyeball. Hopefully by December I will have retained 1 1/2-2 inches of hair and I will meet my goal for my one year!

Here is my crown wet with no product.

Hopefully by December I will have enough hair to type and get more info on how it's gonna act. At this point I think my hair is two variations of 3C (the back and side range from pen spring to pencil sized coils and the top is still doin this "S" thing...but ill find out for sure in DEC I think.

Excuse my spelling. On iphone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 58
I have enough hair to try some cute little flat twist. I was adding my leave in and realized I could grab a handful of hair in the front. So I'm going to try that today. The only thing is I have a huge head so pulling the hair away from my face has always been a no no for me. We'll see.

I've also discovered that my hair doesn't like hair milks of any kind. They are too light and don't do anything. My hair does better with creamy leave ins and stylers it seems for now. Still enjoying my hair and just wanted to pop in and see how everyone else was doing.

What is a BC exactly? I don't think I qualify as having done the "BC", but I do have a TWA.

big chop. How did you get a twa?

I just decided to cut my Mohawk down to size. I was beginning to feel top heavy. I only had about an inch of permed hair left, and the long part of my Mohawk was past APL. So more natural was cut than permed.

Hey ladies!!

Still in my kinky twists. I need to DC and redo the edges this weekend.
I flatironed the side of my hair from a piece that fell out and it's almost at my chin! From scalp to chin heyyyy now lol
I am so grateful for these twists-too busy to even think about my hair. Hopefully they'll be fine until October.....and then I'll probably get another set. Or maybe a weave. I like the idea of a fall/winter bob and I'll probably have enough hair to do a decent blending job by then.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

For those of us wearing our hair loose, how are you wearing it to bed? Now that my hair is a teeny tiny bit longer I can't just leave it out under my satin bonnet. It's a squashed, tangled mess in the morning. I thought about finger coiling before bed but I feel like it would take a long time.

And I don't like the way my hair looks when I take them out. It's usually standing up all over the place. Is it a good idea to do my normal wash n go routing when I take my coils out if I decide to do this? Just rake some product through each section? What other style options do I have for bedtime?

Sheesh, I think I've become spoiled with not having to do much to my hair these past couple months. Reading what I just wrote sounds like a lot of work to me.

For those of us wearing our hair loose, how are you wearing it to bed? Now that my hair is a teeny tiny bit longer I can't just leave it out under my satin bonnet. It's a squashed, tangled mess in the morning. I thought about finger coiling before bed but I feel like it would take a long time.

And I don't like the way my hair looks when I take them out. It's usually standing up all over the place. Is it a good idea to do my normal wash n go routing when I take my coils out if I decide to do this? Just rake some product through each section? What other style options do I have for bedtime?

Sheesh, I think I've become spoiled with not having to do much to my hair these past couple months. Reading what I just wrote sounds like a lot of work to me.

I don't have much help for you. I don't think our hair is the same. I am assuming you are wearing a WNG.

When my hair was shorter, I did put it up every night. I did flat twists when I could. Or I just twisted the back. 2 strand twists are faster than finger coils. A few times I pin curled it. It took me 45 minutes a night when it was short but it had to be done.

I am joining you guys, my daughter cut my armpit length hair to tiny afro and can't do nothing with it, its been 8 years since my hair was this short.

I wash it every other day and then add conditioner and gel, but I think I am going to switch back to making my own gel or aloe vera gel. I sleep with a plastic cap three nights a week. thats pretty much it. oh I use avocado oil for my ends.

I use the girly girl method too.

[USER=10022 said:
blazingthru[/USER];18934685]I am joining you guys, my daughter cut my armpit length hair to tiny afro and can't do nothing with it, its been 8 years since my hair was this short.

I wash it every other day and then add conditioner and gel, but I think I am going to switch back to making my own gel or aloe vera gel. I sleep with a plastic cap three nights a week. thats pretty much it. oh I use avocado oil for my ends.

I use the girly girl method too.

Welcome!

Why did you cut your hair? Sounds like you have an easy regimen.

Do you mean the curly girl method? I like the name girly girl though :lol:

1. BC date: 29 August 2013
2. Hair type/ describe your hair: the jury's still out on that one. I know it's extremely think but to be honest, I'm completely confused about hair typing.
3. Reggie/Products: carols daughter co wash, deva curl one condition, miss Jessie's curly pudding and curly buttercreme
4. Goal(s) BSL hair by dec 2014

Attachments

• image-3609009887.jpg
    image-3609009887.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 56
Welcome!

Why did you cut your hair? Sounds like you have an easy regimen.

Do you mean the curly girl method? I like the name girly girl though :lol:

LOL :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: yep I meant the curly girl, I didn't even realize what I wrote. I been though it so bad this last year that I stopped caring for my hair and would just pin it up and go and not getting trims or anything. My daughter is getting her license in hair care and she looked at my hair and showed me how much was going and she cut it all off. she felt bad, it was a lot of hair, but oh well, God willing it will grow back quickly.

I don't have much help for you. I don't think our hair is the same. I am assuming you are wearing a WNG.

When my hair was shorter, I did put it up every night. I did flat twists when I could. Or I just twisted the back. 2 strand twists are faster than finger coils. A few times I pin curled it. It took me 45 minutes a night when it was short but it had to be done.

Daily I will spritz my hair with whatever moisturizer I am using at the time to dampen it a bit. Then I will add the Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream to each section. (I've posted in here about trying others and mixing products but since I started baggying I love this product again) I mix that with just a little sweet almond oil and add a little bit of gel to each section for hold. Gives my hair great definition and stays soft all day long.

But it is getting a bit harder to style in the morning when I just flatten my scarf or bonnet down on it every night. This morning I woke up and I looked like I had put those foam rollers in my hair and squashed the curls down. It was weird.

I thought about 2 strand twist but I thought that would be more difficult than finger coiling since I actually have to twist instead of coiling the hair around my finger. I'm going to try them both between tonight and tomorrow night and see which works better.

Whelp I'm joining you guys.
1. BC date: didn't really have one
2. Hair type/ describe your hair: type 3
3. Reggie/Products: Nexxus pro-mend shampoo/conditioner, M&T shampoo/conditioner, ACV rinse mix, and my oil mix. Shampoo/condition 2x a week with each once a week. M&S daily.
4. Goal(s): MBL hair by dec 2014 or feb 2015
5. Current pic: I have other pics in my blog, but here's today's pic. I slicked my hair back.

Attachments

• image-2756687335.jpg
    image-2756687335.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 38
Ok, last night I twisted my hair. And here are the results.

Not sure how I feel about it. I'll try coiling tonight and see if I like it better. I do know one thing, it looks completely different from my wash n go.

Last edited:
Ok, last night I twisted my hair. And here are the results.

Not sure how I feel about it. I'll try coiling tonight and see if I like it better. I do know one thing, it looks completely different from my wash n go.

It looks cute. Do you like it?

Back