TWA Support Thread

tumblr_mp3vwm5vtb1r07oh8o1_400.jpg

As soon as it gets long enough this hairstyle shall be mineeeee

Lol Omgosh I couldn't stop laughing. You wrong lolololololol

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

:sad: I didn't mean no harm. All that hair swanging in my face was just too much :nono:

You can always come back to visit. :yep: And I will be keeping an eye on you in the APL challenge. I'm expecting APL for you in October/November.

Lol so we putting mzmomo and all her products on the curb, huh?
I got a weave, you guys. Here's a pic:

Attachments

• image-1199384596.jpg
    image-1199384596.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 64
Rollerset on dry hair. Need to dust my ends and this is the best way to do it. Will let it dry for 2 hours and then clip. I was supposed to wash today but don't see that happening :lol: I'm already tired of doing my hair.

That's really cute. What type of hair did you use? I would like something like that. It looks like a nice twist out.

Bohyme Brazilian wave. Find a supplier on bohyme.com. It can look much more tame, that Hispanic girl style curls with hella gel look lol but I avoid products and let it fro up so it looks like that.
And no hair left out at all!! So all my hair will be just under there chilling and growing for 2-3 months.

I'mma go to Brazil and steal me some hair. It looks so much better than Indian hair. Not to mention I had enough Indian hair to last me a LONG time.

And I know I'll be back in here. You cant just drop me off with strangers! Plus I still have a fro see!!!

If I had more shrinkage yall wouldnt even know!!! :p lol

Last edited:
*peeks in room, enters slowly* i haven't been in here since late March. so, hair is still healthy and my routine is pretty simple--cowash, leave in, gel and oil to style.

so, end of April/early May i went back to the U.S. for vacation, and went for a trim...ended up getting it cut, and recolored but i'm okay with that. its hell-hot and i'm at a twa length that will keep me cool, but allow me to transition into fall at a length i feel good about. the cut also evened everything. i'm now exactly 3 inches all around. of course, with shrinkage, it looks like 1/2, but again, i'm okay with that. its all healthy with minimal ssks or split ends. i've got a good protein/moisture balance and my curls have nice definition.

my plan is to just keep growing--i'm heading back to the U.S. at xmas time. right now, i have no plans to wear wigs or 1/2 wigs--my scalp doesn't like them. i might braid it up, maybe, or just move to doing a puff.

its weird, at this point, retaining is no longer an issue. if i want it long, i feel i know what to do, and if i don't want it long, that's okay too.

how is it being in China with a TWA?! @nisemac

any type of curly hair peeks curiosity--especially when they realize its natural and not a perm. the less diverse or developed an area (or person) the more the curiosity or chance of unwanted touching or examination. i'm in Beijing, so its like being in D.C., although I don't run into too many other TWAs often. every once in a while i'll come across a sista (usually from the U.S., UK, or Canada) and we'll glance at each other and do the head nod. Most black women have relaxers, weaves, or braids. the Africans tend to do the first two. they're the only ones that tend to look at me disapprovingly, although I've had one tell me I was 'bold'.

overall, its cool. causes some confusion with guessing my nationality--usually get asked if i'm from everywhere but the U.S. I'm heading into my 3rd year here and I've received nothing but compliments about how lucky I am and that I can do so many things.

hair care is another thing. very hard water and limited resources, however, I did find a stylist is good at cutting and shaping my hair--but it is more the level of his skill than any experience with black hair. he's more interested in the products I use to achieve my looks and shrinkage was a new and exciting thing for him.

nisemac girl I feel you. I was stuck in India for a year and boy was that different. And when I shaved my head, you would have thought I grew a second head the way people would stare lmao

I think the worse part was that they thought I was one of them so my curly hair was just not acceptable and I was told OFTEN how much prettier I would be if I got a flat iron o__o

And when I shaved it... Well, I think they thought I must of lost my mind lmao

Still wiggin. I finally got my DC so I am going to see if that helps with dryness. I dont plan on going anywhere tonight so I may just DC for the next few hours and see if that helps.

@nisemac girl I feel you. I was stuck in India for a year and boy was that different. And when I shaved my head, you would have thought I grew a second head the way people would stare lmao

I think the worse part was that they thought I was one of them so my curly hair was just not acceptable and I was told OFTEN how much prettier I would be if I got a flat iron o__o

And when I shaved it... Well, I think they thought I must of lost my mind lmao

here, they not only stare, but will touch (the east europeans here do it too). I found that, when I let it grow out and wear it in a puff, i get lots of compliments from older women. of course, these are the same women who come from the poodle-perm era. when i cut it really short and went red, those younger, and closer to my age think its cool and modern.

once, someone at work cornered me in the lady's room and asked how i "got the curls so small". i told her it was permed on toothpicks.

when i first came here, i was rocking a phony pony---matched my texture perfectly. i got lots of comments/questions as to why i should straighten it. it kinda fluctuates between the two extremes.

on a seperate note, your hair is lovely, and i'm wonderin' why you still up in here!:look:

I'm tired of having a TWA, my hair has been short for 6yrs now, went through two cycles of postpartum shedding then I cut to a fade in 2008 [early pregnancy, fed up, don't give a damn], 2010[ went natural, new to hair boards and excited], 2012 [went back to relaxed and regretted it, toyed with transitioning but cut to a fade again in May]......
I'm a slow grower just 4-5inches of hair, can't get a decent puff.....thoroughly fed up with growing hair, all I want is a ponytail, I can wait for additional length but I want a ponytail now! end of rant.

Been about 3 weeks since my big chop and I have already started to grow out of my go to style. I've also noticed that as the weeks go by my hair is getting softer. I guess this means that it may be getting used to the products I'm using?

Did anyone else notice this? How long did it take you all to really feel what your hair feels like? In other words how long did it take your hair to "settle"?

Been about 3 weeks since my big chop and I have already started to grow out of my go to style. I've also noticed that as the weeks go by my hair is getting softer. I guess this means that it may be getting used to the products I'm using?

Did anyone else notice this? How long did it take you all to really feel what your hair feels like? In other words how long did it take your hair to "settle"?
Hey KammyGirl! congrats on the BC! Were you cutting off chemical, damage, or both?

From what I gather, most of us BCers are good to go right after the chop when cutting off damage and poor processing but then (sometimes) stuggle with finding the right products. So hair texture can go from rough, to smooth, to hard, to soft.

Beware the hair softening! Sometimes this means you are going into moisture overload. Have you been using protein to balance things?

What are you products?

Hey @KammyGirl! congrats on the BC! Were you cutting off chemical, damage, or both?

From what I gather, most of us BCers are good to go right after the chop when cutting off damage and poor processing but then (sometimes) stuggle with finding the right products. So hair texture can go from rough, to smooth, to hard, to soft.

Beware the hair softening! Sometimes this means you are going into moisture overload. Have you been using protein to balance things?

What are you products?

I transitioned from relaxed for about 5 months before I did the big chop.

I wasn't too worried about the hair softening just yet since it feels soft and not mushy or anything. At least I don't think so. When I first big chopped my hair didn't feel soft at all. It didn't feel particularly dry either but something was off. It sounded a bit like sandpaper when I rubbed/touched it so I knew that wasn't a good thing.

I'm thinking maybe I just finally found the right stuff to give me a nice balance. I alternate moisture and protein weekly. I am using Aussie 3 minute for deep conditioning (1x a week) as well as Giovanni's deeper moisture for co washing.(1x a week) It's supposed to be a deep conditioner but I like it better as rinse out. I won't be cowashing anymore soon though since I feel like I've gotten where I should be as far as moisture.

For my protein week I use AO GPB which helps me with moisture as well as a bit of protein. Do you think I need a heavier protein so my hair doesn't get any softer? I'm sure once I stop the cowashing that will help right?

Ah, my TWA is killing me. I shingled my hair the othernight and the back turned out defined and curly and pretty but my crown? Nope. Its straight as a stick...and she cut off all the heat damaged and relaxed parts. SOME of it is curling, like very very light s curls...otherwise, especially where I used to keep my bangs? Nope. no curl pattern at all. I don't really know what to do with my hair. I cant wear it out cause its like I have 15 textures on my head.

I am about to wash it tonight. Not sure what to do and I am getting frustrated with my hair and these wigs. I just wanna shave it all off.

Ah, my TWA is killing me. I shingled my hair the othernight and the back turned out defined and curly and pretty but my crown? Nope. Its straight as a stick...and she cut off all the heat damaged and relaxed parts. SOME of it is curling, like very very light s curls...otherwise, especially where I used to keep my bangs? Nope. no curl pattern at all. I don't really know what to do with my hair. I cant wear it out cause its like I have 15 textures on my head.

I am about to wash it tonight. Not sure what to do and I am getting frustrated with my hair and these wigs. I just wanna shave it all off.

:bighug: I know it's tough. Try to hand in there. Most of us have issues with our crown. My crown is straight as well. Sometimes it just takes a while for the crown to hydrate and heal itself. This may be the case with you. Give it a while longer and you will grow your twa out and have more options.

here, they not only stare, but will touch (the east europeans here do it too). I found that, when I let it grow out and wear it in a puff, i get lots of compliments from older women. of course, these are the same women who come from the poodle-perm era. when i cut it really short and went red, those younger, and closer to my age think its cool and modern.

once, someone at work cornered me in the lady's room and asked how i "got the curls so small". i told her it was permed on toothpicks.

when i first came here, i was rocking a phony pony---matched my texture perfectly. i got lots of comments/questions as to why i should straighten it. it kinda fluctuates between the two extremes.

on a seperate note, your hair is lovely, and i'm wonderin' why you still up in here!:look:

@faithVA keeps trying to kick me out and I refuse to leave :lol:

By the way @nisemac arent foreigners a trip when it comes to our hair?! And south India has no freaking excuse cause I saw some 4a's running around there finding every flat iron possible to get the bollywood hair. smh

Last edited:
I've decided to add a heavier protein to my regimen. I have a bottle of the Komaza Protein Strengthener that I would like to get rid of. But my question is, is Henna a good fit for protein once I finish this product. I know there are several henna threads on here but most of them really just talk about technique and where to buy. Can anyone tell me if they use it what the benefits are? APrayer4Hair I know you recently did a henna treatment.

I've decided to add a heavier protein to my regimen. I have a bottle of the Komaza Protein Strengthener that I would like to get rid of. But my question is, is Henna a good fit for protein once I finish this product. I know there are several henna threads on here but most of them really just talk about technique and where to buy. Can anyone tell me if they use it what the benefits are? APrayer4Hair I know you recently did a henna treatment.

I did a 2 step henna then indigo process for the color benefit only. It didn't take well so I did another indigo only process. My hair doesn't really feel any differently. I'm still battling dryness. I've been researching the Hydrotherma Naturals line and will soon be getting the entire collection. It focuses in moisture/ protein balance which I think us my problem.

Washed my hair this morning and it felt weird, almost cakey and gross. I think I need to shampoo...its almost been a month I think....or maybe not, maybe its form the creme brulee I used to try to shingle.

None the less I finally bought that expensive as hayle shampoo. Trying to decide if I want to try and shampoo it tonight or not. If I do I can DC overnight and keep trying to push moisture into my hair. It's feeling a tiny bit better but I think the build up is causing it to not accept anything.

Gonna shampoo in hopefully 4-6 sections tonight. Then DC overnight with half hydrating masque half mop and seal with some jojoba oil and then in the morning, rinse, m/s and go on about my day..

I've decided to add a heavier protein to my regimen. I have a bottle of the Komaza Protein Strengthener that I would like to get rid of. But my question is, is Henna a good fit for protein once I finish this product. I know there are several henna threads on here but most of them really just talk about technique and where to buy. Can anyone tell me if they use it what the benefits are? @APrayer4Hair I know you recently did a henna treatment.
@KammyGirl, I henna a lot too. Just like @APrayer4Hair, I just recently did my first 2 step indigo. For the last year it's been regular henna's though. Sometimes as often as every 2 weeks.

Benefits: stops my breakage immediately and strengthens hair. Very little shedding for weeks after (along with my tea rinsing). Loosening my very tight curl pattern. The color is cool too.:drunk:

Against common thought, it does not work as a protein (at least for my highly porous hair). Made the mistake of no protein! Eeek! Fixed that though and now do a reconstructor immediately after a henna with no problems when needed.

Last edited:
I've decided to add a heavier protein to my regimen. I have a bottle of the Komaza Protein Strengthener that I would like to get rid of. But my question is, is Henna a good fit for protein once I finish this product. I know there are several henna threads on here but most of them really just talk about technique and where to buy. Can anyone tell me if they use it what the benefits are? @APrayer4Hair I know you recently did a henna treatment.

Henna is not a replacement for protein. A good Keratin protein will fill holes in the protein within the strand thus strengthen the strand from the inside. Henna may act like some of the other proteins that coat the outside of the strand. If your strand is healthy, then only applying the coating of protein on the outside of the strand is fine. However, if you have holes within the strand, coating the outside will not help.

If you are low porosity, henna can possibly cause more issues by coating the strand and blocking even more moisture from getting into the strand. But if not many have had good results with it.

Back