Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

I have been transitioning since Feb 09 when I could not take the knots on my natural hair after I bc! I used the s-curl in the box for 5 min. and since that one time have not used any other chemical since. My transitioning is going well bc I decided as of Nov 09 to put braid extensions in for less manipulation! My hair is thriving, that along with washing with the braids in once a wk, using MT everyday with JBCO in it and massaging every day/night! Oh and my vitamins Im taking too! I think for me it was harder to transition when I did not have the braids in, then it is with them. I am on a quest to go for 2-3 yrs with this routine. But I will be cutting off at least an inch once a yr. Slowly gradually and for surley I will have all of my natural healthy hair back.

It just takes patience and a matter of time.:yep:

It's been a little over eight days since I decided to transition and I'm finding it hard to find the right style for me to wear that lasts longer than a day. I've tried a few things but I just haven't found anything that I feel comfortable with. Any suggestions?

Former ballet dancer here, I was natural when I danced. Since I'm bunning now as a protective style I found a great way to keep it smooth. I cowash, put my leave ins on, then I take a small bit of smoothing cream *usually used when your straightening with a blow dryer*. I put that on the new growth, then I use a boar bristle brush to smooth the top. Twist in a bun *I don't tie it up, that never works well for me. And I use hair pins to keep it up :)
The smoothing cream makes the top sleek and smooth and the bun last for two days as long as you put the scarf on at night to cover.
HTH! :)

I'm glad I popped back in here. Thank you :yep: . If I transition again, I will do this.

I would like to know this as well! I have 4A fine hair and I made the decision to transition about two weeks ago!

What products are you looking for specifically? Everyone has their favs and they change from one person to the next. If you're looking for a moisturizer, Soft and Beautiful lite is really nice. For oils to seal, try using Jojoba oil or coconut oil for starters. I also like to use a shea butter mixture, but this only works best on my hair when it is wet or during the winter time. If is use it on dry hair any other time of the year, it becomes very heavy, greasy and weighed down. I use both liquid and creamy leave ins so it probably does not matter which one you decide to use. Just try some out until you find one your hair likes best. Now for styling setting, I use David Babaii or Oyin Handmade whipped pudding. I also like ORS Smooth and Hold pudding. If you want to know about a product for a specific use, let us all know.
Note that this is what works for me and I do have fine hair with low densitiy.
HTH

Okay, I think I post too much, but I have some products to share.

1. Roux porosity control has excellent slip and there isa trial version that is only two dollars (no commitment) Also I think my relaxed ends really needed it. I think it will be a regular for me. Find it at Sallys

I have been thinking about using PC lately... What benefits/ differences in your hair have you noticed since you began to use it? (all responses are welcome:wave: )

TIA ladies

I'm not officially in this challenge but I needed to vent. I am currently 5 months post relaxer and am trying to transition to naturalwhich I've never done before or heard of b4 here. Currently I am still trying to find products and a regimen that will work for me and will give me maximum growth and health. I am in a sew in that I'm not really liking cause the leave out hair is not the same texture/straightness as the hair. When I wash my hair I can see where the new growth is and the relaxed ends are even though there's tons more relaxed hair. Sometimes I want to cut some of the relaxed ends just to see what my natural hair would look like but I don't want to bc or have a twa or less. My so makes comments about my hair sometimes cause he can't see the big picture as I can't either cause of course right I just look like someone that needs a perm. I am also style challenged so I can't wear things like twist outs braid outs as I can't cornrow, twist, flat twist, anything my own hair.I can't flat iron that well yet I constantly am to make my hair straight and/or blend and look decent. I'm trying to stay positive and believe that one day I'll have the hair I want.

I hear ya. I'm style challenged too-can't do cornrows and all that. Probably wouldn't look right on me either. I end up wearing my hair straight most of the time using heat once a week. Straight is the only way I feel comfortable right now.

I'm not officially in this challenge but I needed to vent. I am currently 5 months post relaxer and am trying to transition to naturalwhich I've never done before or heard of b4 here. Currently I am still trying to find products and a regimen that will work for me and will give me maximum growth and health. I am in a sew in that I'm not really liking cause the leave out hair is not the same texture/straightness as the hair. When I wash my hair I can see where the new growth is and the relaxed ends are even though there's tons more relaxed hair. Sometimes I want to cut some of the relaxed ends just to see what my natural hair would look like but I don't want to bc or have a twa or less. My so makes comments about my hair sometimes cause he can't see the big picture as I can't either cause of course right I just look like someone that needs a perm. I am also style challenged so I can't wear things like twist outs braid outs as I can't cornrow, twist, flat twist, anything my own hair.I can't flat iron that well yet I constantly am to make my hair straight and/or blend and look decent. I'm trying to stay positive and believe that one day I'll have the hair I want.

Welcome :)

Go to youtube and search for tutorials. You can learn how to braid, twist, etc.

Tell your SO to stop with the comments....period.

You can try half wigs that are similar to your texture so the blending won't be a problem.

You can do it:hug3:....just keep looking here, member's fotki albums, and on youtube for different products, techniques, and tips.

Heeey all!!! Im in... currently about seven months in and waiting til june 11' until I chop. It'll be my 30th bday present to myself.

Aww how special, that's my DH birthday too.

OK ladies, I'm going to apologize now because I cannot continue on this journey. The two textures are driving me crazy. I try to do a style and end up looking a mess because my natural hair don't like products that my relaxed ends love and vice versa.

So I have decided to end my transitioning journey and BC this crap off this weekend.

Much success to you all, I'll be posting pics.:grin:

OK ladies, I'm going to apologize now because I cannot continue on this journey. The two textures are driving me crazy. I try to do a style and end up looking a mess because my natural hair don't like products that my relaxed ends love and vice versa.

So I have decided to end my transitioning journey and BC this crap off this weekend.

I understand. You have to do what's best for you.:yep: I can't wait to see pics!

Good luck!! I know how hard is to deal with the two textures!

I'm 11 days away from being 10 months post. This is the longest I have been without a relaxer since 1988!! So yes, this is huge for me. I had been feeling very discouraged over the past few weeks because my hair was feeling a little crunchy, but last week I clarified, did a hard protein treatment and DC'd under the dryer with a mixture of La Plancha and Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus and my hair has been thanking me ever since. I rollerset and flat ironed and my hair has been feeling very soft. I realized that I have to DC with every wash from now on or else this transition will be impossible.

Much love to all of you in this journey :)

Last edited:
Good luck!! I know how hard is to deal with the two textures!

I'm 11 days away from being 10 months post. This is the longest I have been without a relaxer since 1988!! So yes, this is huge for me. I had been feeling very discouraged over the past few weeks because my hair was feeling a little crunchy, but last week I clarified, did a hard protein treatment and DC'd under the dryer with a mixture of La Plancha and Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus and my hair has been thanking me ever since. I rollerset and flat ironed and my hair has been feeling very soft. I realized that I have to DC with every wash from now on or else this transition will be impossible.

Much love to all of you in this journey :)

Hello all! I am new to LHCF and this is my first post! :drunk: i am also 11 days from being 10 months post relaxer and i would like to join this challenge too. I am currently wearing a weave from now till the rest of the summer. i hope it will get a little easier soon. so excited!:clap:

Hello all! I am new to LHCF and this is my first post! :drunk: i am also 11 days from being 10 months post relaxer and i would like to join this challenge too. I am currently wearing a weave from now till the rest of the summer. i hope it will get a little easier soon. so excited!:clap:

:welcome4::newbie:

I want to wish everyone the best of luck in their transitions!

I just started a picture thread this evening on my go two go to styles. It seems like a lot of us are at the 9/10 month mark. It's nice to have time-buddies!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=450674

I havent used very much heat during my transition. Mainly out of laziness. But I plan to straighten either next week or the week after.

Does anyone have a method that they'd like to share? I just air dry in braids and flat iron. I cant be bothered with the time it takes to rollerset and THEN flat iron.

:dance7:WHOOOOO HOOOOO!!! I'M A WHOLE YEAR POST YA'LL!!!

Never thought I'd be able to do it. Wasn't always "Good " hair days but I made it. Through this long process I have learned so much about my hair!! Stick in there ladies, you can do it too! Once you find your staple styles and go to styles (when the others don't work out just right), your hair life will be much less stressful!
Now to reevaluate my hair length and BC plans.:drunk: No BC for me just yet MG LOL. ]

Ok so I'm only 14 weeks post and I thought this wouldn't happen to me for a while but it is VERY hard to detangle my hair. My go-to products have stopped working for my relaxed hair wtf?!! My ng is very easy to comb through but the relax? Unh-unh! Any suggestions ladies? What do you ladies use to detangle with? I need ALOT of slip. I washed last night and was about to detangle and it was a no-go so I just threw in my leave-ins and finger detangled a big, and through it in a bun and went to bed. Now I NEED to detangle and I need to find a good detangling leave-in ASAP!

:look: is it just me or does it seem harder to transition for a longer period of time than expected because of all of the beautiful natural pics out there?? i am getting so anxious, and it seems time is moving soooooooo slow. i just need to stay away from the pics :hide:

It's been a little over eight days since I decided to transition and I'm finding it hard to find the right style for me to wear that lasts longer than a day. I've tried a few things but I just haven't found anything that I feel comfortable with. Any suggestions?

I find that most of the styles (bantu/braid out/twist out) require some kind of night time attention. Braid outs will need to be rebraided (can do 3 or 4 big braids), and moisturized/sealed/scarfed down. For fresh results the next day, this is what I have to do to maintain a style more than a day. Even an occasional flat iron has be be "scarfed" down nightly to maintain. Also, remember to moisturize nightly. And it doesn't even take that long to do these nightly "sets". HTH

Hi everyone, I finally decided to man up and pay the subscription fee after lurking for months. lol I'm about 10 months post, as well, and I must say I've been reading this thread for quite some time. It's been very helpful in terms of keeping me inspired and giving me ideas. Thank you and good luck to all you ladies!

Hi everyone, I finally decided to man up and pay the subscription fee after lurking for months. lol I'm about 10 months post, as well, and I must say I've been reading this thread for quite some time. It's been very helpful in terms of keeping me inspired and giving me ideas. Thank you and good luck to all you ladies!

:welcome4::newbie:

after being lazy and taking over a week to remove my senegalese twists...i plan to bun it for the next 2-3 weeks. and then figure out my next move lol

whoo i'm 4 months post, i been braiding my hair before with extensions but now i braiding my own hair in individuals going to wear those for about 2 weeks and then probably redo them.

Co washed last night then put in around six braids and wore a braidout. I think it looks ok, but I'm going to do more braids. I think I will continue to do this.

For the people doing braidouts, are you rebraiding at night? Or wearing the same one for a couple days?

I haven't posted in a while. But still hanging in there. Off heat til the fall yea warmer weather! Just bought a lot of new hair candy!

Back