Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

I never believed in the phenomenon of scab hair now I am facing it. I have not had a relaxer since December and I just did a BC but my hair has straight pieces still and my hair feels rough and very dry and I do the DC and conditioning. I am going to get it shaved tomorrow. I hope this will turn things around. Best, Almond Eyes
SHAVED! NO! Can you get the stylist to finish your big chop without shaving? I just had a professional stylist (my dd) clean up my BC from last Sat. I really have curls now, seriously. It's amazing.

Last edited:
Yep. I was going to do it last week but chickened out. And then I remembered an acquaintance of mine who shaved off her hair last summer and she now has all this new beautiful growth. I will wear a wig if I don't like it.

I bet it will be cute!!!..rock it with dinner big earrings!!!! :-)

Some of my hair in the front left doesn't curl like the hair on the right. I noticed that last time I went natural and forgot about it. Very annoying.

Thanks so much. I tried so hard to be one of the long term transitioners. Yes, I will rock big earrings and be on point with my make up.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I did it but my barber decided to use the number 2 clipper. I actually like it and now excited that I will be starting off with fresh hair. I was so nervous but now I am very glad I did it. It's like shedding damage and all that energy out.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I did it but my barber decided to use the number 2 clipper. I actually like it and now excited that I will be starting off with fresh hair. I was so nervous but now I am very glad I did it. It's like shedding damage and all that energy out.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Do where are the pics?

Do where are the pics?

I knew that would come up. I will try and find a way but I am camera shy though I can cover my face. Let's just say I am glad I did it because the residual relaxed hair always spoiled my natural hair progress in the past and my hair had been over processed and also under processed and no amount of BCing would have worked nor growing it out.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I knew that would come up. I will try and find a way but I am camera shy though I can cover my face. Let's just say I am glad I did it because the residual relaxed hair always spoiled my natural hair progress in the past and my hair had been over processed and also under processed and no amount of BCing would have worked nor growing it out.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Yep..I wanna see...cuz I have the urge to cut mine...lol...I bet it is beautiful when u get your curls to stand out!!!!!

Yesterday I rolled my relaxed ends with no tools and I'm really liking the look. I'm not using the relaxed hair for length anymore, so I did my 2 strand twists and stopped right before the relaxed ends began. Then instead of using perm rods, I just circled all of the straight ends around the end of twist. I put a little elastic so that it doesn't undo.

As a result the ends have a tighter curl which looks so much better. I'm hoping they'll hold their shape for longer too!

Attachments

• 20140519_111513.jpg
    20140519_111513.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 88
Yesterday I rolled my relaxed ends with no tools and I'm really liking the look. I'm not using the relaxed hair for length anymore, so I did my 2 strand twists and stopped right before the relaxed ends began. Then instead of using perm rods, I just circled all of the straight ends around the end of twist. I put a little elastic so that it doesn't undo. As a result the ends have a tighter curl which looks so much better. I'm hoping they'll hold their shape for longer too!

Your hair looks beautiful! even though I ended up relaxing ( the ssk's, breakage was killing me) I still lurk in this thread to see how the rest of you ladies are doing :-)

Ok I am trying to transition again for the 2nd time. I tried a few years ago when my teenage daughter was transitioning but I could not manage my hair.

She has been natural now for 1 1/2 years.

I am more knowledgeable now and so far so good......my hair is short, I love short hair, so I was relaxing every 4 weeks or so and coloring.

I can't remember my last retouch but I am probably about 7 weeks or so since the last one.

What I have been doing is putting curlers in at night and styling it this is working out well. My hair is too short for braid outs or anything at this point and I have too much relaxed hair. I really want to rock a short twa once it grows out some more....currently dh is not feeling that style.

Oh and since starting the transition journey I have not had to color my hair as often.

I wash with Wen. :up:

I've got to get used to seeing myself with "big" hair as my short styles have always been kinda flat and laid on my scalp/head.

Ok I am trying to transition again for the 2nd time. I tried a few years ago when my teenage daughter was transitioning but I could not manage my hair. She has been natural now for 1 1/2 years. I am more knowledgeable now and so far so good......my hair is short, I love short hair, so I was relaxing every 4 weeks or so and coloring. I can't remember my last retouch but I am probably about 7 weeks or so since the last one. What I have been doing is putting curlers in at night and styling it this is working out well. My hair is too short for braid outs or anything at this point and I have too much relaxed hair. I really want to rock a short twa once it grows out some more....currently dh is not feeling that style. Oh and since starting the transition journey I have not had to color my hair as often. I wash with Wen. :up: I've got to get used to seeing myself with "big" hair as my short styles have always been kinda flat and laid on my scalp/head.
Good luck with your transition.

Yesterday I rolled my relaxed ends with no tools and I'm really liking the look. I'm not using the relaxed hair for length anymore, so I did my 2 strand twists and stopped right before the relaxed ends began. Then instead of using perm rods, I just circled all of the straight ends around the end of twist. I put a little elastic so that it doesn't undo.

As a result the ends have a tighter curl which looks so much better. I'm hoping they'll hold their shape for longer too!

Amarilles. That is an interesting technique and very pretty! I'm going to try that too. I love twist/braid-n-curls.
What products did you use for hold on the relaxed and natural? Did you sit under the dryer?

HappyAtLast I normally use a Komaza moisturizer (the Coconut Curl Lotion last time) and sealant (Califia Moisturizing Cream) but I've ran out of the latter so I've been sealing with jojoba oil. And thats it...I kinda dislike products with hold on the length of the hair. A few times I've applied gel or mousse but I prefer out-styles without hold. I keep the hold for when I'm bunning/pony-tailing.

I didn't use a hairdryer last time but I will later today when I wash! Since I won't have annoying perm rods hanging on the ends of the twists, I'm going to try stretching the twists and pinning them around my head to see if I can get more length that way.

Last edited:
Britt Do you order nexxus emergencee online? EnExitStageLeft can you send me the link to the inphenom mist thingie? i wanna order it

Nope, I buy it in the store. If you live in bklyn, there's a hair store on Nostrand and Glenwood that has it for like $30 tops. That's where I've been buying it for years.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Now that I think about it, I have very very little bone straight hair left. I was underprocessed for one year before transitioning so the majority of my hair has texture. Crazy thing is I cant tell the difference between the underprocessed hair and the natural hair. Im going to inspect it closely next wash.

Now that I think about it, I have very very little bone straight hair left. I was underprocessed for one year before transitioning so the majority of my hair has texture. Crazy thing is I cant tell the difference between the underprocessed hair and the natural hair. Im going to inspect it closely next wash.

my back section is like this. it looks like my natural hair :-/

im back (could post for days,needed tonrene subscription).
anyway its soon 3 weeks with these box braids on.
i have a special event at work next monday so these braids must go this coming weekend!
3 weeks only but its fine. they are already getting messy.

i think my next ps will be a half wig or weave... still researching in order to do things myself.

next week im : 6 months post!! already !
this long stretch is really turning to a transition! kinda exciting ( i did this 6 years ago), seems i san handle this better.

i hope i will retain better throughout this whole journey! ps will be a must this time. now i know what my hair mostly likes and hates

Hi guys, haven't been on this part on the board in a while :wave:

I don't really consider myself transitioning but I haven't relaxed all winter, last relaxer I think was last September. I don't really want to relax as I used Mizani for my last relaxer and I think they changed the butter blend line as my scalp was on fire :( I had scabs all over my head and it was a terrible experience. I am terrified to relax again, the butter blend had never given me such issues in the past.

Well, I have been sporting mostly braidouts lately but the difference in texture is really starting to be noticeable. I also worry about the two textures on my head as my crown area is like a 3C and the edges are more 4a.

I may get braids for the summer while I consider what I want to do. I am thinking about updating my old hair album :)

Back