Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Cattypus1 your hair looks great!! I'm hoping scab hair is real and I will eventually discover some curls in my head too
Thanks, I'm still getting used to it. If scab hair is relaxed hair attached to natural hair which hides your real texture and length then it is indeed real. No way my hair could even try to curl on its own with the relaxed hair attached.

I'm not very good at selfies...I'm never as cute as I thought I was...LOL. I think the camera lies! I'm still getting used to it. It was making me sad that I would have to wait forever to see additional length and continue looking crazy about the head. I haven't measured but I have about 4-5 inches of hair left on my head that shrinks up to about an inch all over which I couldn't tell until I cut the relaxed hair off. I feel much better about my twa than I did about my transitioning hair.

Enjoy your TWA. I used to love co-washing every other day; literally wash n go.

It is MOST definitely real. I have it in my hair. Now that I have a decent amount of length to my new growth, there are areas where the hair much closer to the root is different than the hair on the end of the new growth. The scab hair has a bushy feel that's just totally different.
:yep: Just today, I was showing my mother one of my twists and how it starts off nice, normal fine-ish natural hair. Then there's an inch and a half or so of just bushy wrongness. Then there are the relaxed ends. The scab hair is also the exact point where my hair tangles. Otherwise, I'd be able to run my fingers through the whole thing, natural and relaxed.

I used to get headaches when I stretched too long. I think it was the scab hair starting every time my perm grew out a bit. :ohwell: So all these years, what I thought was my texture as shown as my new growth wasn't truly my real texture at all. Freaky.

Hey Ladies!

Can anyone rec. me a quality detangling Shampoo? I recently moved to a sink only wash regi and need something more detangling, so that I may finger detangle a bit more easily. Plus I'm over the Go Moist by SD's. I seriously hate the new consistency.

Cattypus1

CONGRATS HUN! Your curls are so beautiful!

Why are we still talking about shampoo? I have preached about CON Argan from the LHCF mountain tops for years :lol: and I never wash my hair in the shower. Tried it once and I was like people seriously do this regularly?

Hey Ladies! Can anyone rec. me a quality detangling Shampoo? I recently moved to a sink only wash regi and need something more detangling, so that I may finger detangle a bit more easily. Plus I'm over the Go Moist by SD's. I seriously hate the new consistency.

SuchaLady

Girl divachyk just reminded me about the awesomeness that is CON Argan. I already have a bottle and plan to whip it out Sunday or next washday.

As for the shower, the only thing I did in the shower was detangle but that was getting old and on my nerves really quick.

:yep: Just today, I was showing my mother one of my twists and how it starts off nice, normal fine-ish natural hair. Then there's an inch and a half or so of just bushy wrongness. Then there are the relaxed ends. The scab hair is also the exact point where my hair tangles. Otherwise, I'd be able to run my fingers through the whole thing, natural and relaxed.

I used to get headaches when I stretched too long. I think it was the scab hair starting every time my perm grew out a bit. :ohwell: So all these years, what I thought was my texture as shown as my new growth wasn't truly my real texture at all. Freaky.

Yesssssss... I notice that too! When I comb the back the part where there is tension in detangling and the comb is trying to pull through the scab hair, same thing when I try and run my fingers through it. It's just bushy and weird.

scab hair must be why i was always scared of my natural hair after being relaxed....my sister keeps swearing me down that i had a nice texture when i was younger...
all i could see it that nappy new growth that used to break brushes and i would go and do a touch up....
now after not relaxing for a while, its easier to manage..

I'm finally 9 months post and I'm starting to get a little scissor happy again lol. I cut off a larger section in the back of my head and it's so soft and different from the rest of my hair. I can't stop touching it lol.

Please someone stop me before I cut more!

I'm finally 9 months post and I'm starting to get a little scissor happy again lol. I cut off a larger section in the back of my head and it's so soft and different from the rest of my hair. I can't stop touching it lol. Please someone stop me before I cut more!
that's how it starts...LOL! Back away from the ledge unless you're really ready to jump.

13.5 months post. I did length check last night in the back and it looks like my natural hair is only 2 inches away from touching APL. Woo Hoo!

SuchaLady

im travelling and keeping this sew in until i come back
when i take it down im thinking of doing a bkt test with one section of hair and if it responds well do my whole head?
but then i want another sew in

I'm itching to texlax. Not because I can't deal with the textures, I'm just bored with my hair lol :lol:

I made an appointment to get twists on Wednesday. Can't wait.

I saw your mention about being converted to a weave lover. Yay! :look: I thought about going through with my bkt plans for the summer but I think I've talked myself out of it since I'm going back to weave soon :look:

SuchaLady

im travelling and keeping this sew in until i come back
when i take it down im thinking of doing a bkt test with one section of hair and if it responds well do my whole head?
but then i want another sew in

It is MOST definitely real. I have it in my hair. Now that I have a decent amount of length to my new growth, there are areas where the hair much closer to the root is different than the hair on the end of the new growth. The scab hair has a bushy feel that's just totally different. I know that eventually (even if it takes long) the scab hair will grow out. My coworker who transitioned for 2 years told me she had it too and she's gotten a few trims.
That's so great to hear! I just learned about scab hair recently but I think that is what I am experiencing in one section of my hair. It goes from soft coils-wiry bush-bonelaxed strand. But on another section of my hair it's nothing but a wiry bush and doesn't soften or work with any products. This same section is the reason why I always ended my stretches and relaxed because I couldn't figure it out. Hopefully it will grow out with time.

:yep: Just today, I was showing my mother one of my twists and how it starts off nice, normal fine-ish natural hair. Then there's an inch and a half or so of just bushy wrongness. Then there are the relaxed ends. The scab hair is also the exact point where my hair tangles. Otherwise, I'd be able to run my fingers through the whole thing, natural and relaxed. I used to get headaches when I stretched too long. I think it was the scab hair starting every time my perm grew out a bit. :ohwell: So all these years, what I thought was my texture as shown as my new growth wasn't truly my real texture at all. Freaky.
Wow thanks for your response. I was reading about scab hair and some said it was a myth that people who don't like their texture believe in :lol: it's reassuring to know that you experienced the same thing. My scab hair is the ONLY part that detangles. My bonelaxed ends never had a problem with tangles and my roots closest to my scalp never tangle and the sections where I don't have scab hair never tangle either. How long until you noticed it grew out? I'm only 5 months post.

Attended a Return of the Curls hair event today...got lots of freebies to try for natural hair. It was a fun event and if I hadn't BC-ed last weekend, I definitely would have today after the show! There were so many beautiful heads of hair and lots of demos. I am loving my curls!

I never believed in the phenomenon of scab hair now I am facing it. I have not had a relaxer since December and I just did a BC but my hair has straight pieces still and my hair feels rough and very dry and I do the DC and conditioning. I am going to get it shaved tomorrow. I hope this will turn things around.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I never believed in the phenomenon of scab hair now I am facing it. I have not had a relaxer since December and I just did a BC but my hair has straight pieces still and my hair feels rough and very dry and I do the DC and conditioning. I am going to get it shaved tomorrow. I hope this will turn things around.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Shaving your whole head?

Back