Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

isawstars I get a little everyday, sometimes 1 hair, sometimes a couple. When it's more than a couple I know there's something wrong. Other than that it seems normal to me.

Last edited:
shyekiera AgeinATL Thanks girls! I'm going at least until August (28 months) although I'm thinking about just going the extra 2 months and end it at 30 months post. I have to have another heat fest session in late July and I rather the relaxed ends get the brunt of it, and not my natural ends. At this point my relaxed hair is like the police, there to serve and protect :lol:

I feel that some breakage is normal in any state our hair may be in (relaxed, natural, transitioning). I see a lot of little, teeny relaxed pieces on wash day and I can't bring myself to care. Lol. I would say that as long as we're seeing overall growth there is no reason to worry. If the breakage is such that the hair appears to not be growing, it's a problem. If we're seeing breakage when the hair is not being handled (so not on wash day or not as you style it) it's also a problem. We shouldn't see pieces of hair if we aren't touching it. As a transitioner, I would also worry if breakage is happening at the demarcation line. Other than that, that relaxed hair can break all it want! :lol:

@shyekiera @AgeinATL Thanks girls! I'm going at least until August (28 months) although I'm thinking about just going the extra 2 months and end it at 30 months post. I have to have another heat fest session in late July and I rather the relaxed ends get the brunt of it, and not my natural ends. At this point my relaxed hair is like the police, there to serve and protect :lol:

I feel that some breakage is normal in any state our hair may be in (relaxed, natural, transitioning). I see a lot of little, teeny relaxed pieces on wash day and I can't bring myself to care. Lol. I would say that as long as we're seeing overall growth there is no reason to worry. If the breakage is such that the hair appears to not be growing, it's a problem. If we're seeing breakage when the hair is not being handled (so not on wash day or not as you style it) it's also a problem. We shouldn't see pieces of hair if we aren't touching it. As a transitioner, I would also worry if breakage is happening at the demarcation line. Other than that, that relaxed hair can break all it want! :lol:

You are doing a fantastic job! Your natural hair is thriving. As someone else pointed out, I see no reason to cut off perfectly healthy relaxed hair if you are successfully managing both textures (chop when YOU are ready). Keep up the good work!

The center of my nape has broken off and is fully natural now. :Nono: I think it's from wearing a ponytail bun every day, and my relaxed ends couldn't handle it. Ah well. The rest of my hair seems to be doing great; I'll be 3 months post on the 20th.

I decided that I will transition for AT LEAST a year, and then chop whenever I'm ready after that. I have no idea what's to come (breakage, excess shedding, too many ugly days) so for me to set a hard fast deadline isn't really realistic. So I think after a year I should have be okay; my hair isn't terribly long (a bit past SL) so it's not like I'll be losing some great length or anything, plus I've bc'd to 1" two times. I'll never do that again but at least I know I'm okay with somewhat short hair (not a baldy tho).

Anywho I'm rambling... I see waves popping and that just gets me so excited about being fully natural again.

I'm officially 7 months post: I straightened my hair the past 3 weeks and my new growth looks 100x better than my relaxed hair. My natural hair has sheen, shine, and that smooth look. As though my highly porous relaxed hair doesn't reflect shine due to the uneven cuticle (outer layer)... I can only imagine how much better my hair will look natural.

My hardship the past 4 weeks is having a good leave in conditioner and DC. My highly porous, relaxed hair and my normal porous, natural hair respond differently to products. I think the different porosity levels make a huge impact on my transition.

I do experience breakage but I expect that due to my relaxed hair. Sliding my fingers down a hair strand feels very rigid. I'm convinced fine hair and relaxers don't mix. I'm back at the drawing boards and only discovered thus far.. Both my textures like argan oil, ojon restorative treatment... That's it.

Last edited:
Deep Treatment: Ojon Restorative Treatment
Prepoo: NJoy Sulfur Hair Growth Oil
Oil: 100% Organic Argan Oil

To Add:
For now I will use Ojon has my deep treatment instead of using a deep conditioner.

I will not experiment anymore in the oil department.

I will try Keracare Naturals and Luv Naturals (KimmayTube) soon. While though I'd prefer to stay organic and natural, I think I have to compromise with my transition due to my porous, rigid, chemically treated hair. Hopefully both textures will agree on something for once.

Cut about an inch and a half off so I'm at neck length. Hair was getting thin and I wear my hair straight 100% of the time so I want my ends to be thick. I don't mind that I cut because I'm ready for this relaxer to be ouuutttt. I'm currently 7 months post.

Cut about an inch and a half off so I'm at neck length. Hair was getting thin and I wear my hair straight 100% of the time so I want my ends to be thick. I don't mind that I cut because I'm ready for this relaxer to be ouuutttt. I'm currently 7 months post.

with 7 months post do still have relaxed hair ? when you straighten is it half natural and half relaxed? how do you straighten?

lots of questions lol i know

with 7 months post do still have relaxed hair ? when you straighten is it half natural and half relaxed? how do you straighten? lots of questions lol i know

coolsista-paris I still have relaxed hair in the front. It's about 3 1/2-4 in of natural hair depending on what part of my head. The back grows faster than the front for me.

When I straighten it all looks relaxed. I don't love the cut but at this length is when it grows really fast for me or I'm able to retain easier I should say. I wanted to leave it a little longer in the front but it's whatever. I'll post a pic at the end of this post.

I went to an Ethiopian salon this time to straighten. She rolled and then flat ironed. About once every two months I'll do it myself mainly because I don't feel like going to the salon and I use an fhi platform flat iron and a babyliss blowdryer to starlightem at home. I plan on being a straight haired natural so heat damage is whatever to me. Obviously I want healthy hair overall but a little heat damage hair doesn't bother me as long as it's still thick and full.

image-4006114768.jpg

So i'm only 3 months post but yay? I guess that's something. I don't know if it's something to brag about when many of yall are pushing 20+ months!

My longest stretch was 16 weeks the last time I relaxed in February. Since I want to be a heat trained natural, I'm not concerned about big chops or anything. hair is hair. Just concerned about maintaining my demarcation line since I still want length.

Do any of you know a good protein based leave in? I like cantu but it's heavy and too much makes my hair break.

shyekiera AgeinATL Thanks girls! I'm going at least until August (28 months) although I'm thinking about just going the extra 2 months and end it at 30 months post. I have to have another heat fest session in late July and I rather the relaxed ends get the brunt of it, and not my natural ends. At this point my relaxed hair is like the police, there to serve and protect :lol:

That's EXACTLY how I feel about my relaxed ends. They are serving a real purpose to protect my natural ends!

@coolsista-paris I still have relaxed hair in the front. It's about 3 1/2-4 in of natural hair depending on what part of my head. The back grows faster than the front for me.

When I straighten it all looks relaxed. I don't love the cut but at this length is when it grows really fast for me or I'm able to retain easier I should say. I wanted to leave it a little longer in the front but it's whatever. I'll post a pic at the end of this post.

I went to an Ethiopian salon this time to straighten. She rolled and then flat ironed. About once every two months I'll do it myself mainly because I don't feel like going to the salon and I use an fhi platform flat iron and a babyliss blowdryer to starlightem at home. I plan on being a straight haired natural so heat damage is whatever to me. Obviously I want healthy hair overall but a little heat damage hair doesn't bother me as long as it's still thick and full.

View attachment 259363

You are sooo cute! Love your hair too! I like the idea of rollersetting and then following up with a flat iron. Is that what the Ethiopian salons usually do? That sounds better than rollersetting and then having your hair pulled and tugged with a roundbrush and blow dryer. Please post in the straight hair natural threads sometimes. I love looking at naturals who do both straight and kinky. Once I'm fully natural I plan to get my hair straightened monthly.

shyekiera naija24

Y'all better celebrate those 3 months! In a world where girls get touch ups every 4 weeks, y'all are doing great! Besides you can't get to 20+ months post if you never get to 3 months. Baby steps!

i think i'm the baby in here...3 months

So i'm only 3 months post but yay? I guess that's something. I don't know if it's something to brag about when many of yall are pushing 20+ months!

My longest stretch was 16 weeks the last time I relaxed in February. Since I want to be a heat trained natural, I'm not concerned about big chops or anything. hair is hair. Just concerned about maintaining my demarcation line since I still want length.

Do any of you know a good protein based leave in? I like cantu but it's heavy and too much makes my hair break.

You are sooo cute! Love your hair too! I like the idea of rollersetting and then following up with a flat iron. Is that what the Ethiopian salons usually do? That sounds better than rollersetting and then having your hair pulled and tugged with a roundbrush and blow dryer. Please post in the straight hair natural threads sometimes. I love looking at naturals who do both straight and kinky. Once I'm fully natural I plan to get my hair straightened monthly.
Thank you!!! I'm not sure if this is their normal practice. This was the first time I went. I'm new to the n va area and I wanted to find a salon and the place I went to had good reviews when I looked up salons. The lady asked me after she rolled if I wanted to get it flat ironed and I told her yes. I used to go to Dominicans down when I was in s fl and after about 4 months post I started just getting flat ironed instead of blowing bc it started hurting and it just seemed like it is more effective to flat iron at this point without all the tugging.

shyekiera naija24

Y'all better celebrate those 3 months! In a world where girls get touch ups every 4 weeks, y'all are doing great! Besides you can't get to 20+ months post if you never get to 3 months. Baby steps!

HappyAtLast Thanks!! I have to say that getting to 12 weeks this time around was EASY PEASY!! I've been in a sew in for 6 weeks so I don't even notice the time going by. I plan to take it out at the earliest after my friend's wedding next week at 8 weeks because I've been advised that you should do 8 weeks and then see how your hair looks. If my hair is fine, I plan to DC and get right back in a sew in until the end of July or mid-August at my birthday.

I don't want to length check either! I hope by my bday that I'm skimming APL by an inch or so.

HappyAtLast Thanks!! I have to say that getting to 12 weeks this time around was EASY PEASY!! I've been in a sew in for 6 weeks so I don't even notice the time going by. I plan to take it out at the earliest after my friend's wedding next week at 8 weeks because I've been advised that you should do 8 weeks and then see how your hair looks. If my hair is fine, I plan to DC and get right back in a sew in until the end of July or mid-August at my birthday.

I don't want to length check either! I hope by my bday that I'm skimming APL by an inch or so.

Sounds like you have a solid plan. And remember your relaxed ends still need protein (to the extent YOUR hair needs it.) 15 months flashed by for me by alternating wigs and blow outs.

^^^ :yep: I lightly blowdried all winter and barely missed the perm, tbh.

naija24, If you're looking for something creamy but not too heavy and plan to keep it straight, you might like Lacio Lacio. They make one with silk protein and one with keratin.

In about three days, it will be nine months since I had my last relaxer. Time sure has flown by.

I still have the hand in head syndrome, I have finally found my holy grail for moisturizing my hair, and someone asked me at work how I got my hair to curl up like that lol.

It's been a rough but rewarding journey so far.

In about three days, it will be nine months since I had my last relaxer. Time sure has flown by. I still have the hand in head syndrome, I have finally found my holy grail for moisturizing my hair, and someone asked me at work how I got my hair to curl up like that lol. It's been a rough but rewarding journey so far.
I must have missed it...I am just a bit further along than you at 10 mos, and I've been struggling to make my hair behave consistently. Every day is an adventure...please share your secrets.

I must have missed it...I am just a bit further along than you at 10 mos, and I've been struggling to make my hair behave consistently. Every day is an adventure...please share your secrets.

What has worked for me is washing my hair in sections, using coconut oil, and using Hawaiian Silky 14/1.

Most days I do a twist out with rods on the ends and it lasts for about two days. I keep my hair covered at night with a satin scarf. The further I get in this process, the more I realize that keeping it simple is the best way to go.

So far my hair has thickened up from being darn near bald in the back to actually having some hair.

You have made such great progress! I'd do the 30 months because you're almost there and 30 is a nice, even, impressive number. I'm 7 months post on the 12 or 13th of this month. Last time I grew out my relaxer, I don't think I started having issues until I was like 18 months along. This time, I plan on transitioning for a lot longer. So you're really inspiring me.

I'm 8.5 months post and running into my first real dilemma. My hair at my temple was short before my transition, now its growing out and the curls refuse to be held down with gel. I'm thinking about picking up some headbands.

Are there any soft headbands that work for smaller heads without giving you a headache?

I'm 8.5 months post and running into my first real dilemma. My hair at my temple was short before my transition, now its growing out and the curls refuse to be held down with gel. I'm thinking about picking up some headbands.

Are there any soft headbands that work for smaller heads without giving you a headache?

I buy some from cvs that are like soft, kinda sheer nylon-type material. I think they're by Scuunci. (Not the knit ones.)

I ordered a huge sample haul this week...

Anita Grant (free S&H in May)
-Jasmine Floral Water
-Vanilla Sweet Almond Oil
-Creamy Café Latte (Vanilla) 2x
-Whipped Butter (unscented)
-Japanese Camellia Kissi Oil
- Argan Oil

Giovanni
-Direct Leave in

These are all sample sizes. Depending on my outcome, I have Keracare Natural Textures in my saved for later amazon cart as back up.

I'm 8.5 months post and running into my first real dilemma. My hair at my temple was short before my transition, now its growing out and the curls refuse to be held down with gel. I'm thinking about picking up some headbands. Are there any soft headbands that work for smaller heads without giving you a headache?

I stopped using Gel... I was using more and more gel to lay my edges down... Then I said F it, I'll let them be. Now they lay flat w/ a scarf

I ordered a huge sample haul this week... Anita Grant (free S&H in May) -Jasmine Floral Water -Vanilla Sweet Almond Oil -Creamy Café Latte (Vanilla) 2x -Whipped Butter (unscented) -Japanese Camellia Kissi Oil - Argan Oil Giovanni -Direct Leave in These are all sample sizes. Depending on my outcome, I have Keracare Natural Textures in my saved for later amazon cart as back up.

lucky. is there any website to order samples??

Hello. I'm transitioning my last relaxer was January 2012. I want to start wearing heartless protective styles to get more growth. Any suggestions, I am so lost. Lol

Back