Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

We really are hair twins! We need to trade emails. But anywho....I can't believe this post only because I thought to myself last week I may as well go on and cut these ends. :ohwell: Its either that or keep my hair hidden. I just need to be able to bun. Y'all know I live for me a big messy bun. :sad: Right now I just need to find new products. If I get past that hurdle I should be good. I also tried some tips from beauti? I think that's her screenname. My wash day was ridiculously easy. All I did was wash my hair in halves. I also let it dry partially before detangling. Do you know I lost less than 10 strands of hair? I was just like -_-

I got my hair flat ironed today so I'm happy again. I'm 6.5 months post. I'm reevaluating my plans. Because my relaxed hair is so super bone straight and my texture is so kinky, I'm not planning to go past a year anymore, I guess I'll just have some short hair for awhile , hopefully it won't be too short, I will try to make it to 12 months post though. The relaxed hair and natural hair are in a battle and my natural hair is winning. The stylist made me feel much better, she determined that my breakage is because of the transition, not because I'm doing anything wrong or because I need protein. The breakage is too stressful for me to want to prolong this more than a year. So I'm not looking for length retention this year I guess :ohwell: I'm going to do a weave for end of march and April and see how that goes. But yeah I need to be realistic with myself and accept that I can't transition as long as those with texturized hair who don't have a drastic difference in textures or the type 3s that don't have such aggressive breakage just from transitioning. SuchaLady how's it going girl?

I got my weave yesterday too! I'm pretty again :look: Seriously though. I will never let myself feel like that again for the sake of hair. Had me at work dodging mirrors and ish :giggle:

@Britt

Thanks for the encouragement
How do you blow dry your hair?
I'm soo bad with the blow dryer

The blow drying part has been easy for me. I'd wash my hair in 4 quadrants, and blow dry in 4 quadrants. Apply my creamy leave in, a little serum on each section, and a generous amount of Aphogee green tea leave in. Then I'd blow dry with the big tooth come and then follow up with the paddle brush. When my entire head is dry, I'd smooth it back into a ponytail or 2 pig tails w/ rollers on the end and put my scarf on. For the rest of the week I'd wear my hair in a low ponytail. I had NO breakage and my hair felt strong and had minimal shedding when I was doing this routine. I wanted to give my hair a break from the blow drying heat and would do braid outs for one week. I've been learning as I go along. I honestly don't think this transition would have been as easy for me if I didn't use any type of heat. I don't want heat damage, so I'd take breaks in between my Dominican blow outs, going every other week or every 3 weeks and in between those times, blow drying at home or wearing twist outs/braid outs.

I got my hair flat ironed today so I'm happy again. I'm 6.5 months post.
I'm reevaluating my plans. Because my relaxed hair is so super bone straight and my texture is so kinky, I'm not planning to go past a year anymore, I guess I'll just have some short hair for awhile , hopefully it won't be too short, I will try to make it to 12 months post though.
The relaxed hair and natural hair are in a battle and my natural hair is winning. The stylist made me feel much better, she determined that my breakage is because of the transition, not because I'm doing anything wrong or because I need protein.
The breakage is too stressful for me to want to prolong this more than a year. So I'm not looking for length retention this year I guess :ohwell: I'm going to do a weave for end of march and April and see how that goes.

But yeah I need to be realistic with myself and accept that I can't transition as long as those with texturized hair who don't have a drastic difference in textures or the type 3s that don't have such aggressive breakage just from transitioning.

I appreciate your honesty. It can be taboo to discuss this on the forums/blogs and I'm not sure why. I know for certain that the softer/wavier parts of my hair are a total breeze to deal with transitioning compared to the much tighter/kinkier areas, it is what it is. When I was about 4 -6/7 months post and I was washing my hair and would let it air dry, I started to get breakage in the back of my hair b/c the hair back there was growing in very tightly coiled, dry, and it would start to become matted. That was honestly the most difficult part of my transition, that's when I was like nahhhh, *** this :lol: and I ran and got the DE treatment. After I got the DE treatment is when I would start to blow dry my hair, get rollersets and blow outs, or do braid outs.

Once I take this weave down and contend with my head, I will start to slow start trimming the relaxed ends. This should lessen the blow to my 'big chop'. I would like my hair to be 'free' this summer. So that's when I plan to be done with the relaxed ends.

I got my weave yesterday too! I'm pretty again :look: Seriously though. I will never let myself feel like that again for the sake of hair. Had me at work dodging mirrors and ish :giggle:

Heyyy! Do you have a lot of leave out? Do you plan on flat ironing it?
I will admit, my weave only looked 'fly' for the first week I got it b/c the leave out was flat ironed and the hair was curled and bouncy and pretty. Then I decided I didn't really want to flat iron my leave out, so when I washed it I blow dried the leave out and been wearing it in a low bun or a ponytail and it looks pretty decent. It looks like my relaxed hair growing out and and blending with my ponytail. The sides look a little odd b/c I have bangs and they aren't long enough to pull back into my ponytail thus smoothing down the tracks on the sides of my head.

Britt All of my perimeter is left out. I usually hate to have that much hair left out but honestly it is easier to camouflage when your hair is not freshly blended. I can put it in a bun, high pony, side pony, or do braids and buns etc. I usually don't wash until I can't avoid it anymore. I can never get it as straight as my hairstylist. My last perimeter sew in I had, I left it in a month or so. I only flatironed once.

Heyyy! Do you have a lot of leave out? Do you plan on flat ironing it?
I will admit, my weave only looked 'fly' for the first week I got it b/c the leave out was flat ironed and the hair was curled and bouncy and pretty. Then I decided I didn't really want to flat iron my leave out, so when I washed it I blow dried the leave out and been wearing it in a low bun or a ponytail and it looks pretty decent. It looks like my relaxed hair growing out and and blending with my ponytail. The sides look a little odd b/c I have bangs and they aren't long enough to pull back into my ponytail thus smoothing down the tracks on the sides of my head.

@Britt All of my perimeter is left out. I usually hate to have that much hair left out but honestly it is easier to camouflage when your hair is not freshly blended. I can put it in a bun, high pony, side pony, or do braids and buns etc. I usually don't wash until I can't avoid it anymore. I can never get it as straight as my hairstylist. My last perimeter sew in I had, I left it in a month or so. I only flatironed once.

Yeah, the more leave out the easier it is to blend. Oh I see, well if you aren't flat ironing often you'll be fine.

Any transitioners that are texlaxed that can give some recs on products to use for a wash n go? I've tried LOC but it weighs my hair down too much. My ng is thick but my texlaxed ends are very fine.

Britt

I was snoopin' at work and my coworker darn near broke her neck trying to see your avi. As soon as she seen it she was like, "Who is that? and what is her routine?" :lachen:. She couldn't believe you were transitioning. She kept asking what texturizer you use. She thinks your avi is your natural texture :lachen:. I tried to explain it was a braidout, she didn't believe me.

@Britt

I was snoopin' at work and my coworker darn near broke her neck trying to see your avi. As soon as she seen it she was like, "Who is that? and what is her routine?" :lachen:. She couldn't believe you were transitioning. She kept asking what texturizer you use. She thinks your avi is your natural texture :lachen:. I tried to explain it was a braidout, she didn't believe me.

LOL! Yep, it's a braid out. Awww, does she know she can achieve a similar look from doing one?

We really are hair twins! We need to trade emails. But anywho....I can't believe this post only because I thought to myself last week I may as well go on and cut these ends. :ohwell: Its either that or keep my hair hidden. I just need to be able to bun. Y'all know I live for me a big messy bun. :sad: Right now I just need to find new products. If I get past that hurdle I should be good. I also tried some tips from @beauti? I think that's her screenname. My wash day was ridiculously easy. All I did was wash my hair in halves. I also let it dry partially before detangling. Do you know I lost less than 10 strands of hair? I was just like -_-

SuchaLady
I have an appointment to get my very first weave on March 12.
Can't come soon enough!
This past week I was dodging mirrors too smh :rofl: I swear I was... I can't believe you mentioned that! You always read my mind :lol:
This transitioning thing can make you feel really ugly!!! Like really ugly! lmao

just updating to say last night was not my imagination. My hair was still soft this morning. I took advantage and cornrowed her up and put a weave on. She's not allowed out again until April :look:

beauti

I think I'm going to try this next weekend when I wash. Do you think I can add it to my DC and then steam with it? I plan on doing a protein treatment, so I'm going to need that extra umph.

beauti I wear my hair straight all of the time... Lol I understand, your texture actually looks looser then mine! I normally have a problem when I don't DC long enough.
image-320823141.jpg
That's like the only texture shot I've got lol

Yesterday was my wash day, stupidly I washed, blow dried and flat ironed instead of sitting under the dryer knowing I never get my hair to look right when I do that =\... Then I spritzed today and sat under the dryer, I'm not happy =( 18 months post

image-2849275977.jpg

image-3313690027.jpg

image-3405563142.jpg

image-2859639173.jpg

image-616793052.jpg

Last edited:
Mjon912 why aren't you happy?? Your roots are laid huntee :gorgeous: how long does it usually stay straight? And how do you maintain it?

beauti lol Thanks!!! It's really poofy, when I rollerset I get the relaxer straight look which I love, this poofy thing I've got I'm not a fan of lol. It stays straight until I wet it and I wrap it at night or pull it up into a pony and put a scarf on.

I think I'm transitioning. :look: I don't know. I'm 7 months post and hadn't even noticed, really. I've been washing every two weeks, flat-ironing the roots, flexis on the rest. Two weeks ago, I stopped using heat as much. I felt like it might be causing damage. (It wasn't- curl pattern still intact.) A few days ago, I noticed breaking while I m&s. :nono: I used Nexus Polymedic Reconstructor the last time I washed, but it must not have been strong enough, or the kind of protein I needed. So, I'm buying some Aphogee 2 step and going back to the heat.

If this is truly a transition, I'm in it for the long haul. I'm APL and :look: I'm quite enjoying it, so no bc's in my future.

So... hey, y'all. :wave:

I'd like to give a special shout out to EnExitStageLeft for the lovely products I bought from her. The Aveda pomade has been laying my edges quite nicely in a rush, and the Kerastase Nutrithermique was a useful addition to the arsenal. I already had the Ciment Thermique, so now they're like little bookends in my heat reggie. :yep: And Britt for all the advice and encouragement. :hug2:

That's it. :look:

I haven't disliked my hair this much in years... I mean some days I just can't be bothered with it. I never realized I had multiple textures throughout my head which makes things even more complicated *sigh* rant over.

flyygirlll2 do you hide your hair in protective styles like weaves,braids, or wigs? Cause honestly that's the only way you'll make it through transitioning without having a mental breakdown :look: I would suggest putting weave, braids, or wigs and fahgettaboudit :look:

I'm around 7 months post texturizer. After cutting off my straight ends and switching products, my journey has been smoother.

Even though my texturized hair is in the best condition its been in awhile, it is still highly porous and duller compared to my newgrowth. I did try to use products to "fix" my texturized hair, but it is what it is and I have to accept that. It serves as a reminder of why I'm never relaxing again and keeps me motivated during my transition.

flyygirlll2 do you hide your hair in protective styles like weaves,braids, or wigs? Cause honestly that's the only way you'll make it through transitioning without having a mental breakdown :look: I would suggest putting weave, braids, or wigs and fahgettaboudit :look:
No, I've just been twisting my hair and pinning it up and wearing a scarf nearly everyday because where I live is cold. I haven't worn my hair out since October, I've pretty much lived in my buns or twist. I've never been into weaves, I've thought about getting braids but I'm afraid of my edges will need a moment of silence if I do it lol. In terms of wigs, I remember trying on one of my mother' wigs after her hair fell out due undergoing chemo for breast cancer and my scalp felt like it was on fire so I said no ma'am. I'm going to have to decide what to do next cause right now I just can't deal...I also have other things going on in my life right now where my hair should be the last of my worries. Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Last edited:
sharifeh Im so excited for you! Are you getting a full sew in? Im loving the ease of this sew in! Im considering just not wearing my hair out for awhile.:look: Maybe years :look::look:

SuchaLady
I have an appointment to get my very first weave on March 12.
Can't come soon enough!
This past week I was dodging mirrors too smh :rofl: I swear I was... I can't believe you mentioned that! You always read my mind :lol:
This transitioning thing can make you feel really ugly!!! Like really ugly! lmao

sharifeh That is the type I have. Its called a versatile/perimeter sew in. I love it. When I start doing side braids and ponytails I will attach some pictures. :look:What if we weave it up for the rest of the year and BKT later so we have more natural hair when we do it?:look:

SuchaLady

i think its called a full sew in yes,
im leaving a lot of hair out so i can still put it up
i cant live without a bun really

Back