Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

I think I have completely come to terms with it. I just can't be bothered to even attempt to style this mess on my head anymore. It is headband with bun everyday and it doesn't look remotely cute. I need a change, and honestly when I see how scrawny my ends are looking, I am worried that I will soon start damaging my new growth.

It is hard to BC, but I know what to expect as I had a TWA from teh ages of 11-14 (it was required by my school) so it won't be quite so shcoking. I thought I would transition longer, but honestly, I don't feel like it is worth it for me anymore. My braidouts and twistouts look terrible because of my ends leaving me with nothing but buns and scraggly ones at that. Ugh.

Ohhhh I see, well since you've had a big chop before, I say go for it. I understand the cute factor when you're transitioning and I def see what what you're saying about damaging the new growth. I wonder that often for long term transitioning. In my head, it would be better for the relaxed ends to be gone so you can really start to take care of your natural hair.

I'm tired of bunning my hair everyday. My roller sets look a mess and so do my bantu knot outs and braid outs. I just want to BC but I want more length before that happens. So frustrated :(.

So yea haven't updated in a minute.

Here are my flat iron results! Two passes @ 370'
53 weeks post

IMG_20140210_225859.jpg

Top: Wash day! Bottom: Flat iron on two day old twist out! (53 weeks post, lol) #natural #straighthair

Sent from Galaxy using LHCF

Britt I wasnt really gonna cut it :look: I may lightly blowdry or something cause Im over it.

Barber for what???!??!?
Go wash your hair and do a braid out or something lol. Have you tried flat ironing your hair? At least that will give you easy breezy hair for at least 1 week.

sharifeh You will like the sew in! Its so easy. I may as well transition the rest of the way in a weave. I cant continue to go to work like this. I feel like people are staring at me :nono:

SuchaLady

yes i think im getting one
my line of demarcation breakage is driving me bonkers so I'm going to try it out for the very first time,
I cant get an appointment until the end of March though :cry:
Don't know what I'll do until then

lisanarurally... How long into your transition are you and how are you doing your roller sets? I don't have any advice on the other styled but I'm pretty good with sets

SuchaLady I've been there... My worst wash day took me 14 hours to do my hair!!!! If I didn't think the relaxer would have burnt my scalp since if just washed it I would have relaxed the next day...

A weave isn't necessary unless you want it and trust me I'm the last to judge, I use indirect and direct heat everytime I wash and an not into the fro look or "natural styles" I love my straight hair and there's nothing wrong with that!

I have learned that I couldn't wash every week and wear straight hair, way to much work, I now wash every 10-14 days, my scalp itched at first but now I'm used to it. Also can you explain in detail what your doing, I realized it was my technique, I was trying to apply practices that worked on my relaxed hair on my transitioning hair. I was just setting myself up to fail

lisanarurally... How long into your transition are you and how are you doing your roller sets? I don't have any advice on the other styled but I'm pretty good with sets

Mjon912, thanks for asking and offering some help. I'll be 20wks. post this Friday. My problem with the roller sets is I just cut off a lot of texlaxed ends so now when I roll it when I take it down I look like an old lady dh doesn't even like it. When my hair was longer I was a pro. I'm just going to do wash n go's until my hair grows out some more. I'm in northern cali so the weather is not too cold for that. But if you do have any advice on rollering neck length hair I'll take it lol.

Have you tried wigs? I hope it gets better for you.

I've done uparts. I just don't have time to make a new one. I'm just having a bad hair week. My bun was popping last week! Nice and plush with the waves all pronounced. This week I look like All My Life I Had to Fight. How do the same products and routine yield opposite results has me stumped.

I just did my first curlformer set and it looks amazing! The back of my hair is very curly and it got bone straight from air drying in these. It took forever to do but that was my fault and I know it'll take much less time next time. I suggest trying that for anyone who is struggling right now. Much easier to get the root straight than roller sets at least for me.

tonight is the night my twists come out. I will wash, do an aphogee 2-step treatment, and I'm weaving this bad boy up tomorrow. She's not about to have me stressed about what styles to wear. I'm locking her up for another month :look:

Here are my curls edges and nape all I did was lightly brush back (the front only) no added gel or anything. This is second day hair.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140211_101445.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140211_101445.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 46
  • ForumRunner_20140211_101458.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140211_101458.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 48
  • ForumRunner_20140211_101511.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140211_101511.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 49
I feel so hideous :cry4:
I know the feeling. My hair stays in 4 big twist underneath a scarf until I need to wash it or M&S cause it's too damn cold where I live and I just can't be bothered. As I type, I'm sitting with a protein treatment on my hair for 30 minutes then I will DC, ponytail roller set and call it a day. I'm style challenged when it comes to hair. I haven't even worn a bun in a while cause my roots are so thick so it looks kind of weird. I don't even know how I will wear my hair for Valentine's day, I'm not even in the mood to deal with my hair and I know my fiancé is tired of seeing my hair covered lol. Does anyone have any hair plan for Valentine's Day? Sent from my iPad using LHCF

lisanaturally... Ok I understand.... Basically what I've learned is roller setting my transitioning/ natural hair requires less after wash product then relaxed hair. With my transitioning hair which is 4a/4b I've found that a good wash/condition and deep condition are what's most impt! As far as leave ins I use about a quarter size total of all the products mixed together on my whole head.

Also are you roller setting to leave it curly or straighter?

Either way Since your hair is shorter make sure your using the right size rollers, as a relaxed head I could use the huge purple rollers on basically all of my head with no problem because my hair was straight and easy to get around the roller. As a transitioning/natural head I've gone down to mostly grey with some black because it's harder to get my hair to smoothly go around bigger rollers. Also I had to switch the way I was rolling my hair meaning I used to take the section on my hair that was ready for the roller and roll it down, now I have to roll up.

If your wearing your hair in curls since it's neck length I would roll I an angle too. Not doing the traditional Mohawk roll but start at the back and do rows. I used to set my cousins NL hair like this , when the hair is dry it will come out looking like the curls are dropping or falling already rather then looking like a grandma lol

I hope that helps but if not I can try to explain something better if you want

I love this thread. 16 weeks is the longest I've gone without a relaxer. It's so good to see others going through this journey. I aim to transition at least a year, and if I make it that long, maybe 18 months, as that will give me between 6 to 9 inches of natural hair to work with. My hair has always grown fast, and when I look at setbacks, they were usually due to issues with relaxers. But more than that, I find relaxed hair is just so thin. So I keep remembering these reasons at detangle day. But I love my curls. I love playing in them. I can't wait to b/c to meet my hair once it's not so short. I'm just not brave enough for a TWA :)

lisanaturally... Ok I understand.... Basically what I've learned is roller setting my transitioning/ natural hair requires less after wash product then relaxed hair. With my transitioning hair which is 4a/4b I've found that a good wash/condition and deep condition are what's most impt! As far as leave ins I use about a quarter size total of all the products mixed together on my whole head.

Also are you roller setting to leave it curly or straighter?

Either way Since your hair is shorter make sure your using the right size rollers, as a relaxed head I could use the huge purple rollers on basically all of my head with no problem because my hair was straight and easy to get around the roller. As a transitioning/natural head I've gone down to mostly grey with some black because it's harder to get my hair to smoothly go around bigger rollers. Also I had to switch the way I was rolling my hair meaning I used to take the section on my hair that was ready for the roller and roll it down, now I have to roll up.

If your wearing your hair in curls since it's neck length I would roll I an angle too. Not doing the traditional Mohawk roll but start at the back and do rows. I used to set my cousins NL hair like this , when the hair is dry it will come out looking like the curls are dropping or falling already rather then looking like a grandma lol

I hope that helps but if not I can try to explain something better if you want

I'm trying to roller set for the curls and just to blend the texlaxed ends with the new growth. You gave some great advice I will give it a try. Thank you very much. :)

Can anyone recommend a strong protein treatment besides Aphogee? I just did a protein treatment using Komaza protein strengthener for the second time and my hair laughed. I'm starting to think it's just not strong enough for my hair.

Can anyone recommend a strong protein treatment besides Aphogee? I just did a protein treatment using Komaza protein strengthener for the second time and my hair laughed. I'm starting to think it's just not strong enough for my hair.

Phytonectar (Ulta) if you don't like it, you can return it. I had great results 2 yrs ago.- it's a shampoo

These were recommended when I transitioned the 1st time:
Nexxus Emergencee
Nexxus Keraphix
Dudley's Hair Rebuilder
Dudley DRC 28--pricey
Claudie Protein Rx & Claudie Reconstructor
Mega-Tek
Joico K-Pak-LOVE

Phytonectar (Ulta) if you don't like it, you can return it. I had great results 2 yrs ago.- it's a shampoo These were recommended when I transitioned the 1st time: Nexxus Emergencee Nexxus Keraphix Dudley's Hair Rebuilder Dudley DRC 28--pricey Claudie Protein Rx & Claudie Reconstructor Mega-Tek Joico K-Pak-LOVE

Thank you so much for the recommendations!
I will look into getting one of these.

I've heard some good things about CHI Enviro. Has anyone ever used it with success? Sent from my iPad using LHCF
I'm using Chi Enviro to transition. I love it. My hair is soft and strong, I'm 31 weeks post-my longest stretch ever. I really notice the difference when my hair is wet--very little tangling, great combout. The only thing I'm struggling with is I really like twist outs and if I don't stretch my hair the shrinkage makes my Twistout look kind of crazy.

Back