Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Not sure I'm liking textured styles on my relaxer stretched hair. Too much texture leads to frizz and breakage.

Hmmm I wonder what that means? I would think it meant my conditioner wasnt moisturizing enough but my hair dried softly. If it dried crunchy, Id replace it but it didnt. :ohwell:

SuchaLady, I think you're good simce it's soft. I'm on travel and can't (or let's say haven't) been focusing on my hair.

I have been lurking for forever but I think I am going to have to come out of the shadows and join you ladies. I just found out that I am pregnant so I'm kind of forced to transition or at least stretch for a really really long time. Hopefully popping in here every once in awhile will help keep me focused and help me resist the creamy crack lol. I'm only 4 weeks post so this is still the easy part but with my other children my hair just laughed at relaxers. So far my texture has not changed but I still have awhile to go.

7 day Curlformer set. My sides reverted and the whole set is on its last leg but I'm stretching it until Monday anyway :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_20131123_093840.jpg
    IMG_20131123_093840.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20131123_093551.jpg
    IMG_20131123_093551.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
If I can delete pics from my camera, I'll take a shot to post later, but today was my epic wash/detangle/style hair day since we were supposed to have horrible weather.

I decided to use Lush's Caca Mama Noir henna on my hair. I'd never, ever used henna before so this was a treat. It was messy and time-consuming, which I had expected. My gray hairs in the front turned reddish like my hair does in the summer; others laughed at it. The non-gray hairs do seem a bit darker. That's fine. I bought the whole bar so I will use it again in a few weeks to see if I can make any more headway in eliminating the grays.

So I decide to lightly blow dry my hair and style it in a high bun - special thanks to Ecostyler Olive Oil and Cream of Nature Perfect Edges. Good Lord...I have a headache. I don't know if I can make this style last a week. I thank God for thick hair; I truly do, but my bun is HEAVY. Has anyone else suffered this with high buns? I might need to move it or change the style altogether.

I have been lurking for forever but I think I am going to have to come out of the shadows and join you ladies. I just found out that I am pregnant so I'm kind of forced to transition or at least stretch for a really really long time. Hopefully popping in here every once in awhile will help keep me focused and help me resist the creamy crack lol. I'm only 4 weeks post so this is still the easy part but with my other children my hair just laughed at relaxers. So far my texture has not changed but I still have awhile to go.
irisak, congrats!

7 day Curlformer set. My sides reverted and the whole set is on its last leg but I'm stretching it until Monday anyway :lol:
Amarilles, looking good.

So I straighten my hair today. I took pics and will update tomorrow. I plan to cut off an additional inch tomorrow. Because as healthy as my ends are they just aren't as blunt as I would like :(.

And I already know why.

1. I didn't stay true to my every other month dusting regimen.
2. I started using "light" butters to heavy seal.
3. I forgot the transitioning can do a number on your ends and didn't take extra precautions to prevent it.
4. Slacking on protein......ROOKIE MISTAKE SMH! Today was my first time in 4 weeks using any kind of protein.....The hell was I thinking:perplexed.
5. Slacked on Clarifying
6. Forgot that bunning is the ULTIMATE in terms of retention for me.

What I will do to remedy it:

1. Start back on my Retention Regimen.
2. Start using heavier Butters to seal
3. Start back using my Slippy Rinsing Condish EXCLUSIVELY! Makes detangling in the shower 100x's easier.
4. Using more protein on my ends (weekly when I prepoo).
5. LOW TO NO MANIPULATION STYLES ONLY! I was going to straighten for christmas, but thats probably not going to happen now. Mainly because of laziness :lachen:
6. Treat my hair as if its silk again.

Tomorrow when I get home I will flat wrap. Before I M&S I will trim off the additional inch. I was talking to a haircare friend of mine and she told me to only take another 1/2 inch off because thats honesty all that needs to go. But y'all know I'm extra :lachen:.

So I straighten my hair today. I took pics and will update tomorrow. I plan to cut off an additional inch tomorrow. Because as healthy as my ends are they just aren't as blunt as I would like :(. And I already know why. 1. I didn't stay true to my every other month dusting regimen. 2. I started using "light" butters to heavy seal. 3. I forgot the transitioning can do a number on your ends and didn't take extra precautions to prevent it. 4. Slacking on protein......ROOKIE MISTAKE SMH! Today was my first time in 4 weeks using any kind of protein.....The hell was I thinking:perplexed. 5. Slacked on Clarifying 6. Forgot that bunning is the ULTIMATE in terms of retention for me. What I will do to remedy it: 1. Start back on my Retention Regimen. 2. Start using heavier Butters to seal 3. Start back using my Slippy Rinsing Condish EXCLUSIVELY! Makes detangling in the shower 100x's easier. 4. Using more protein on my ends (weekly when I prepoo). 5. LOW TO NO MANIPULATION STYLES ONLY! I was going to straighten for christmas, but thats probably not going to happen now. Mainly because of laziness :lachen: 6. Treat my hair as if its silk again. Tomorrow when I get home I will flat wrap. Before I M&S I will trim off the additional inch. I was talking to a haircare friend of mine and she told me to only take another 1/2 inch off because thats honesty all that needs to go. But y'all know I'm extra :lachen:.
You are my hero! I have struggled to know what works and what doesn't. Sounds like you have a plan and I'm sure it will work because you are my hair hero!

Cattypus1

THANK YOU SO MUCH! My hair had come a long way, but my laziness ALWAYS gets the best of me. I love healthy ends, but blunt ends are prettier :look:...so I want them :lachen:.

Either way, come April 30th, 2013 I will have WL come hell or high water :yep:!

EnExitStageLeft *southern slang* how you gon' tell me to not trim to even my end but you're about to do the very same. Psssh! Imma get you missy.

Your list sounds awesome. I slowly learned low to no manipulation coupled with multi-day bunning works best. It minimzes manipulation and breakage. Too bad it took weeks of breakage to figure that out.

divachyk Thanks a bunch. It was definitely a surprise.

I just did my weekly wash and dc. I was going to flat iron but as hair lazy ad ive been I'm really seeing a week of ponytails and buns in my future.

divachyk

I'm only taking off a inch. It'll probably put me right back at MBL or super close. Your butt was going to cut 2-3 inches off. I know how you get down, so i had to stop you before you chopped off our.... OOPS I mean...your hair :giggle:.

divachyk I'm only taking off a inch. It'll probably put me right back at MBL or super close. Your butt was going to cut 2-3 inches off. I know how you get down, so i had to stop you before you chopped off our.... OOPS I mean...your hair :giggle:.

You ladies are a mess...LOL... I forgot to mention that a got a "significant" cut the same day I got the CHI treatment. It was the second cut in about 3 weeks. I went from just below APL to just below CBL. A little bit of a setback for my goal of BSL by the end of this year (not gonna make it! LOL) but I've always thought I was a slow grower but since I have been documenting this journey I believe I'm right at or just above average based on the pics I've been taking. I wish I could bun successfully but that always ends in breakage for me.

@MileHighDiva

Just wrapping my hair around my head. I've been pin curling exclusively for almost a year now. I hope I remember how :perplexed. Unfortuantely the deed is done. I've already made my decision and found the youtube tutorial I plan to follow for a nice U.
At this point I'm going back to health. Length is on the backburner :yep:. I appreciate the love though :bighug:.

@Cattypus1

I'm secretly hating on your cut because truth be told......I want a bob...BAD! Like "I tried to make a appointment with my old stylist today at 3:30, but she talked me out of it" bad :look:.

divachyk

I'm only taking off a inch. It'll probably put me right back at MBL or super close. Your butt was going to cut 2-3 inches off. I know how you get down, so i had to stop you before you chopped off our.... OOPS I mean...your hair :giggle:.

You're my girl, I can't deny :lol: :giggle:

You ladies are a mess...LOL... I forgot to mention that a got a "significant" cut the same day I got the CHI treatment. It was the second cut in about 3 weeks. I went from just below APL to just below CBL. A little bit of a setback for my goal of BSL by the end of this year (not gonna make it! LOL) but I've always thought I was a slow grower but since I have been documenting this journey I believe I'm right at or just above average based on the pics I've been taking. I wish I could bun successfully but that always ends in breakage for me.

Cattypus1, your hair looks amazing!

@MileHighDiva

Just wrapping my hair around my head. I've been pin curling exclusively for almost a year now. I hope I remember how :perplexed. Unfortuantely the deed is done. I've already made my decision and found the youtube tutorial I plan to follow for a nice U.
At this point I'm going back to health. Length is on the backburner :yep:. I appreciate the love though :bighug:.

@Cattypus1

I'm secretly hating on your cut because truth be told......I want a bob...BAD! Like "I tried to make a appointment with my old stylist today at 3:30, but she talked me out of it" bad :look:.

EnExitStageLeft, I want a U so badly but yes, I'd forfeit some length to get there. I want a hair cut, period. I told dh I want a change but I'm not yet sure what that is PLUS I don't want to get a cut to later regret it. I'm always all over the place so pay me no attention.

@MileHighDiva

Umm...:look:

I think I need to white lie this out, because if I tell you the truth you're liable to beat me :lachen:

No, I cut a 1/4 of a inch off today and my hair feels great. But if I talk a inch off, I'll have the clean blunt hemline I love and adore.

Last edited:
EnExitStageLeft

If that's they way you want your hemline, I respect that. I just wanted to make sure that you knew that you only need to cut about 1/8" (possibly 1/4") above the splits/damage to make sure you get it all.

I knew there was no way on earth that you had an inch of splits etc.

i posted these in another thread. Washed my hair Thursday and straightened and then did bantu knots. First few pics are my transitioning hair wet no product. Last pic is bantu knot out results

Attachments

• photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 73
  • photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 73
  • photo-6.JPG
    photo-6.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 72
  • photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 77
^^ I love the color and texture of your hair.

Tell me why when I finally try a twist out with perm rods.. I have to go to school looking like a wet poodle : -(

GettingKinky thank you. I pre pooed the previous day and that alone had my hair incredibly soft. Used Hello Hydration in shower like two minutes. I used Tressemmee heat protection spray and aphogee keratin spray on damp hair before blow drying. Only used a little Vatika coconut oil right before doing the knots, mostly on my ends. I did two big bantu knots in front and two in back. Hair was wavy the next day but the waves fell by that evening. Hth

Back