Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Thats how I was feeling for the first few months. But I started taking Nouritress Hair Vitamins and my new growth took off. I normally grow 1/4 inch a month, Now it's at least 1/2 inch and It's only been 2 1/2 months that I have been taking it. I know people say it's expensive but I'd pay almost anything to keep this growth spurt:yep:

girlie I take Flax seed oil, horsetail, biotin 6000mcg, 4 grams MSM, odor less garlic, vitamin C, B complex, evening primrose oil, and a multivit everyday day. I try to have a protien shake everyday as well. Now I have noticed a difference in my hair, it doesn't shed as much. I think the knots and smoothness improved. The number of hairs on my head has definately increased. But I can't say much about the actual grow rate being markedly increased. (It may have increased slightly but not what people claim I mean if I every got an inch in a month I would know.)

I want to join...24 weeks post.
Havent had a relaxer since May....been in sewins since then.

I was going to get a relaxer next week...but I am going to ask her to just flatiron (I hope it turns out well :pray:)

Then, hopefully in Jan I can get a closure and go back to sewins....if the flatironing works--I may just do that.

I was natural for 3 years bf--but I'm nervous :lol: I know more so hopefully this will be a good experience.

I have been wearing cornrows under my lacefront for 2wks, decided to take them down so I can wash dc and detangle....man I lost so much hair, like the size of a large egg. Detangling took forever. Decided to dc overnight. Didn't feel like messing with my hair anymore. I'm only 16 wks post

Wow, so are you finding that it's getting harder and less manageable as you move along your jorney? That's by biggest fear as well....:( Hang in there MIss....

Do any of u feel like at times you're not progressing while transitioning? I got this feeling last night while co-washing. My hair seems super short and the stringly parts (relaxed ends) are getting to me. I started with BSL length at the beginning of my transition - should I be progressing or not? I don't know my hair was initially cut into layers when I started this journey - may what I'm seeing is the shorter layers top part of my hair with major shrinkage. I feel like I've lost a chunk of hair.

Last edited:
I'm hoping some members who have successfully transitioned without BCing would stumble into this room...perhaps their experience could better guide us. That's a good question and legitimate concern. Do you think you need more or better deep conditioning or are you getting enough of that already? I'm not sure,just thinking of the various factors.

I'm hoping some members who have successfully transitioned without BCing would stumble into this room...perhaps their experience could better guide us. That's a good question and legitimate concern. Do you think you need more or better deep conditioning or are you getting enough of that already? I'm not sure,just thinking of the various factors.

I know personally for me if I go longer than a week between DC's I pay for it. DCing just makes my hair more manageable, I can comb it without being in pain, it behaves better overall. Unless I'm in braids I DC once or twice a week

ETA I didn't see the original question. I feel this way sometimes but when I stretch my NG I see it's definitely getting longer. I think as long as you're protecting your ends and doing regular protein treatments to stop breakage then you should retain more length. Also for me even when I flat iron my hair Shrinkage is an issue. Even straightened it puffs out so it looks the same length until I physically stretch it. Flat ironed I'm SL but when I stretch my ends my longest pieces are touching APL.

Last edited:
Wow, so are you finding that it's getting harder and less manageable as you move along your jorney? That's by biggest fear as well....:( Hang in there MIss....

Yes. This is usually my limit when I stretch my relaxer. My ends look horrible. Im thinking about cutting about 5 inches just to have less relaxed hair to deal with. I just dont want to cut it and change my mind and decide to relax again.

I co-wash twice a week - which I believe is supplying me with proper moisture. I've been lacking in the dc department - I do it do it at least twice a month with heat. I'm really not afraid of BCing - but I know if I do it my hair will be super uneven. But every time I look at those relaxed ends - I want to chop and I'm trying to hold out.

BlondebyDesire--I definitely think it is the shrinkage. The curlier and coiler your hair is the more shrinkage there is. Of course once a natural it will continue.

Just checking in ladies. I haven't been in this thread in quite sometime. All is going well. Still rocking my twists sets - which thanks to this board - i've learned how to maintain them for at least a week. My main issue with transitioning has been shedding/breakage. I've taken control over a lot of the shedding by pre-pooing with a heavy conditioner mixed with oils and pressed garlic cloves, alter ego conditoner and low maniuplation (keeping my twist out for at least a week an only washing every two weeks). But am still experiencing some breakage/popping due to the two textures. However with the new regis i've implemented plus the fact that i want to retain and keep my length - I'm dealing with it.

This is my second time being natural (first time i BC'd) and my hair is longer now than it was right before i relxed it. Actually this matches or either slightly surpasses the longest length hair I've ever haid (Full SL). I'm praying to reach APL by next year. What a celebration that will be:-)

I've added a few things that I belive have helped a lot - now taking biotin, folic acid, fish oil (liquid) and JBCO for edges and thinning on left side.

HHG Ladies!

That's great BrownBean96, I too started Biotin lately and the JBCO is working so well for me too....keep up the worr girl! Keep us posted. And for the shedding have you tried garlic supplements?

No but I am considering it. I guess it would be more effective to to acquire the garlic internally. Have you taken them?
That's great BrownBean96, I too started Biotin lately and the JBCO is working so well for me too....keep up the worr girl! Keep us posted. And for the shedding have you tried garlic supplements?

I flat ironed my hair for a change since I have a Christmas party to go to tonight. It was a lot of work..lol. I won't be doing that again for a long time!!! I have pics in my fotki.

No but I am considering it. I guess it would be more effective to to acquire the garlic internally. Have you taken them?

Yes, I've been taking them for almost 6 months...no shedding over here! :grin: I took them because I've been using Mega-Tek and didn't want to risk experiencing shedding.

Ladies, can we talk about hot combing for a moment. Can someone school me on all this talk I've heard about "if you hot comb your hair it may not revert back to natural" or something like that. I would love to understand better because when I take out my braids, I'm thinking of hot combing the front so I can blend my half wigs a little better.

Ladies, can we talk about hot combing for a moment. Can someone school me on all this talk I've heard about "if you hot comb your hair it may not revert back to natural" or something like that. I would love to understand better because when I take out my braids, I'm thinking of hot combing the front so I can blend my half wigs a little better.
The bold is a true statement if you are using too much heat for your hair's tolerance. That is something that you or whoever uses it on you has to know.I can't speak on your personal hair.
I personally don't believe in using hot combs on relaxed hair even though its attached to ng:nono: . The hot comb ain't for everybody and its nothing to play with.

I think i have taxlaxed ends, but I have so mush shrinkage I consider myself natural. I think for me the best way to transition is to kiss. I keep my hair moistly in twists and braidouts. I also wear stretched out buns. I love mango butter whipped with castor oil on my end also. I havent had a relaxer for 18 months

Ladies who are doing this by flatironing :wave:

How is it going??? Is ur hair (both textures) still doing well...still getting length etc???
Are you doing it yourself or going to the salon??

Plz share your experience so far

How is it going??? Is ur hair (both textures) still doing well...still getting length etc???

I actually just finished flat ironing my roots. I did a roller set with big rollers (gray, purple, lime green) and just flat ironed the roots. I turned up the heat 1 setting and they turned out straighter than they'd been in the past. I did spray some IC heat protectant on my roots. So far so good. I only do this every 1-2 weeks though because I'm really afraid of the heat...HTH

I've been doing ok with the flat iron so far. I rollerset weekly and flat iron the roots only. I use Fantasia IC serum. I'm only 5 weeks post. It's all good now, but next month may be a different story! :lachen:

after some time of just roller setting I've used my flat iron.
I've realized how much my hair has grown from ironing out the roots.
and it seems like after using it 3 times or so.. my hair seems to be a little pissed that I am using the intense heat on it again. Its been getting breaky.

I don't know how long i can do this transition. I am desperate and ready to BC. I even made an appointment today to cut it all off.. but cancelled it because i did get a little scared. I have about just under an inch and a half of new growth and its sooooo thick. There are knots galore throughout and all the roller setting and lack of time to style 2 textures in the mornings is driving me nuts!
My hair is in a shorter bob than in the pic below so a twist out won't look right.. errrg

I think to myself that maybe it would grow faster, and be easier to style if I cut off the relaxed ends.
I would be able to deep treat more often and comb it more easily.

Is anyone else feeling like this?

Back