Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

i'm so hair-discouraged. chopped my hair up to chin length 2 weeks ago, & now the bottom 2" of my nape is natural. my problem is that i have no idea what to do with it to make it blend in with the rest of my relaxed ends. blow drying & flat ironing last week was a nightmare (took a total of 3.5 hours, much longer than before i chopped), & there's no way i want to have to do that every week.

i'll try roller sets this week, & if that doesn't come out right, i'm getting weaved and/or wigged up for the rest of my transition (at least another 10 months).

Im 23 weeks :)

I'm still doing my daily bantu knot outs. I luv them. I can pin them up, put on a headband, put cute clips in my hair. Its working great for me.

My newgrowth is amazing. Its soft and thick. I luv my hair!

Still in the same braid (been in 8 weeks now) under my wig. wont come out till Dec 20th if i can hang in there.

Just hit a whopping 8 weeks, or two months ya'll :lachen: yea, i know its beans compared to how long some of ya'll been at it lol :) No urges to relax yet...just to grow it out!

I miss my afro puff,

image.aspx

August 2007 - (yes I'm fickle with my hair)

I guess I'll post it in both.. My hair in curlformers

Resized: (apologies)

In the process
image.aspx

From the front

image.aspx

From the top
image.aspx

Seems I am out of practice as I can't get them as tight as I want. Also need to order some more of the larger ones, as my hair as grown.

Baby steps, baby steps.

At first i thought i would cut it off in Dec, but after having short hair for about the last 3yrs....im over it. So long transition here i come. I'm 3 months into my transition, no problems with my 3 textures finally ive got the balance down.
Except that from here on in its going to get harder. I hav to stay consistent with a regimen, keep up vigilance on those chemical ends and keep up morale( because i dont want to cut, but if i can be stupidly spontaneous :perplexed).

sooooo after keeping an eye on this thread from the almost beginning, i would like to join in please. I think im in for a long haul.

Stats

Last relaxer Aug 31
Im relaxed, texturised and natural
I think im NL but i really havent straightend or stretched effectively enough to be sure
I henna every 4-6 weeks
Take a surplus of vitamins

Im going to start BKT this Dec. If it straightens im going to switch it up every other 3 months. If it lossens the curl im going to incorporate it into my transition

In March im going to get an ayurvedic package form India so im goin to turn into a quasi-naturalist around that time too.:look:

Finally checking in...

I am 15 weeks and some days post and still don't have the urge to relax. I'm very excited with my progress because I used to be the girl that always had a relaxer every 6 weeks.

Right now my regimen includes cowashing, DCing, moisturizing and sealing, airdry roller set, followed by pressing my roots. My hair is almost SL. I'm starting to wear my hair in buns a lot because I started this journey by cutting from almost APL to mid-NL from poorly maintained ends.

My transition plan keeps changing but right now it's get to APL and then gradually cut off the relaxed ends. The only issue I've had is detangling after DCing but I realized my hair needs to be better coated from my leave in.

Next wash day I'm going to DC on dry hair, rinse in the shower and go on from there. I'll check in then. PROMISE! :yep:

I'm thinking about staying in braids for most, if not, all of 2010. I can't wait to see how much growth I'll have by Dec 2010.:look:

Oooh, I'm excited to see the results of that. I honestly think braids (not too tight or too small) are the BEST protective styling. I love them. JUst wish I was more patient to get it done more often. Also I like the versatility of my half wigs and weaves but braids will definately get you some results Platinum expecially for most of 2010, you're in business honey. Get those before and after pics please!!!!

Stay strong ladies.... No cutting!!!!! I will make 28 weeks this Friday. WooHoo!!!! That alone is a miracle to me. Still wearing my ugly buns 75% of the time. I am debating on getting micros or a sew in. I can do both by myself but it takes me about 4-5 days to actually finish my micros. With my sew ins, I wear about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 weeks and then want it out. I hate not being able to get to my scalp. What do you think would benefit me more?

Mrs Johnson, love the bantu tutorial. I am going to attempt this while I deliberate on what I am going to do to my hair. Should I flat iron my hair before doing the bantu knots?

TIA

The pic is from 26 weeks post after wash & cond. I can't take good texture shots, they all seem to close. :nono:

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 96
Oooh, I'm excited to see the results of that. I honestly think braids (not too tight or too small) are the BEST protective styling. I love them. JUst wish I was more patient to get it done more often. Also I like the versatility of my half wigs and weaves but braids will definately get you some results Platinum expecially for most of 2010, you're in business honey. Get those before and after pics please!!!!

I'm in Senegalese Twists again and I probably wont be able to do a length check until Feb. Here's a few pics. I'll try posting better pics later. Excuse the goofy grin.:look:

Attachments

• 2009-11-30 22-30-51.614.jpg
    2009-11-30 22-30-51.614.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 2009-11-30 22-32-09.059.jpg
    2009-11-30 22-32-09.059.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I just got box braids this weeked...so I'm hangin' in there! Welcome newcomers....
Ahem...where are the pics? :look: LOL

I'm thinking about staying in braids for most, if not, all of 2010. I can't wait to see how much growth I'll have by Dec 2010.:look:
I'm planning to do the same thing. However, I will take at least 1 break for my class reunion in October. We'll have to cheer each other on.

I'm in Senegalese Twists again and I probably wont be able to do a length check until Feb. Here's a few pics. I'll try posting better pics later. Excuse the goofy grin.:look:
I LOVE your twists.

Well ladies I'll be 26 weeks post tomorrow. The braids I'm wearing under my wig will be a month old on Monday. I'm going to take them down on Sunday, do a protein treatment & a DC & get it rebraided Monday morning.

Currently I have serious growth. In some spots I can lift my braids an inch plus above my scalp. Of course I know some of it is from the braids loosening on their own. In the tightest spots, I still have 3/4 inch+ of growth.

I don't have the urge to BC b/c I want to keep as much length as possible. However, it's hard to keep my hair under wraps like I have been. Gotta press on!

For the people flat ironing their roots, are you putting heat protectant on it? I'm not and was wondering if that's bad. And also, could I be heat training my natural hair by flat ironing it weekly?

For the people flat ironing their roots, are you putting heat protectant on it? I'm not and was wondering if that's bad. And also, could I be heat training my natural hair by flat ironing it weekly?

Please use a heat protectant!! I use Redken Heat Glide or Beyond the Zone - Turn up the Heat Flat Iron protection.

i use a serum (chi silk infusion) before flat ironing, & aveda's anti humectant pomade (to cancel reversion) . i find that when i skip the serum, my hair comes out bouncier & swangier. so i think skipping every 1x in a while is fine as long as you don't turn the heat up too much.

i use a serum (chi silk infusion) before flat ironing, & aveda's anti humectant pomade (to cancel reversion) . i find that when i skip the serum, my hair comes out bouncier & swangier. so i think skipping every 1x in a while is fine as long as you don't turn the heat up too much.

That's what I noticed too. Thanks for responding!

Are you guys using too much? My stylist (she is natural and alot of her clients are too) uses only a dab of serum before flat ironing. It made me realized I'm using WAY too much product. I mean way too much. At my last vist I brough in my aveda DR DC and she used the reccomended amount and put my under the dryer. Same end results alot less product and mony washed out. It has really made me rethink hw much product I'm using. I have been to her on and off when I can since Feb and I have had only great results.

Update: My first wave coil!

After three months I let my hair free for 3 days by doing my first "Wave Coil". I was attempting to do finger coils on Friday , but my straight "text-laxed" ends were not having it, so I thought...hmmmmm I remember reading about the Wave coil on HBS. I had a comedy show to go to on Saturday so I wanted to do somethng other than the same old bun.... So I:
1. Washed with Trader Joes Nourish Spa
2. DC with EO Essentials Coconut and Phillip B Conditioning Cream rinse
3. Used AO White Camelia with Jane Carter Wrap and Roll over it
4. I didn't seal my ends with shea butter until I compelted half my head:wallbash:
5. I did small two-strand twists all over and I rolled cut-up straws on the ends. I didn't have McDonald's straws (this was a salvage style)
6. I sat under the hooded dryer for maybe 45 minutes, slept ont he style..then voila, the next day I took it down and got loads of compliments.
This only lasted 3 days because I attempted to add moisture and the curls wilted! So i am back int he bun. Sorry the pics are so odd, I only had my camera phone, didn't get batteries in time.

There is the straw...
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

feeling fustrated with my incrediably slow growth. I'd rather watch paint dry. Half an inch a month, I wish....

Thats how I was feeling for the first few months. But I started taking Nouritress Hair Vitamins and my new growth took off. I normally grow 1/4 inch a month, Now it's at least 1/2 inch and It's only been 2 1/2 months that I have been taking it. I know people say it's expensive but I'd pay almost anything to keep this growth spurt:yep:

Hey Smiley I can't believe I missed this thread - Can I still join? Also transitioning without the BC - about 4.5 months post at the moment.

Back