Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

I have added blowdrying once a week to my regimine and my hair is still doing great. It has been a month. Yesterday I blowdried and got very little shedding or breakage and I use a comb attatchment. I only blowdry after DCing with cholesterol for an hour. It is helping me manage my newgrowth and has cut down on tangling. I think this may be a keeper.

Hi ladies, i very much would like to join this challenge! I just decided yesterday after months of careful thought that i want to go natural. I'm going to be a straightened natural though because i love straight hair and i find i retain A LOT more length when my hair is straight.

Currently i'm 7 weeks post, i plan to transition until the end of 2010 which will take me to 14 months. I grow about an inch per month so by then my natural hair should be about CBL at the crown and between APL and BSL at the nape. That will be more than enough for me to cut it all off. I'm going to try not to cut at all until then. HHG ladies and thanks for this thread!

Ladies who are doing this by flatironing :wave:

How is it going???
just fine
Is ur hair (both textures) still doing well...still getting length etc???

Yes both textures are still healthy,no heat damage if that's what you're asking. I am not seeking length for now. If more comes, ok. My concern is keeping what is on my head healthy so I can go for as long as I want. I have only needed like 1/4 inch trims, so I think I'm ok.
Are you doing it yourself or going to the salon??
I now only go to my salon for trims literally

Hi ladies! Still here. I have three textures on my head right now, natural, texturized, and bone straight ends. I do notice that the relaxed ends are starting to break, but I am not too worried because I am still retaining length. I just focus on giving my hair protien to keep my line of demarcation strong. I wont start to slowly trim the relaxed ends until I reach BSL, and that probably wont be until this time next year.

Wash day today! I dc'ed with ORS replenishing dc on dry hair but with the home grown steam treatment (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=215663). After rinsing, I put Giovanni leave-in and Carol's Daughter hair milk in my hair and parted my hair into 8 sections. I put the sections into ponytails and roller on the ends. Sat under the dryer until dry, pressed roots, and flat ironed hair.

I'm sixteen weeks post and my new growth is acting differently. It's more manageable and I'm losing a lot less hair when I detangle. My hair is still handling the heat very well so I'm going to continue wearing it straight. I wore my hair down to work but it'll be in a bun for the rest of the week.

almost 6 months post in about a week. i will be bunning until 2010
also no heat until 2010 :grin:
i expect to be bsl in march 2010

I've also decided to go natural. I'm currently texlaxed 18 weeks post. I got braids but took them out after 2 weeks they were uncomfortable. I am getting a wig made and will wear that for a while. i am not planning on BC anytime soon only S&D.

:hiya2: I'm 18 Weeks Post

I'm removing pieces of my ends when I take down my braids for braidouts. Also I'm braiding every night which couldn't be healthy for my ends. :nono: Hopefully when I flat iron later this month, I would meet my 2009 MBL Challenge so I can trim back to bra strap.

Last edited:
:hiya2: I haven't been here in a while... I'm still aiming for EARLIEST 18 months... at least 6 months to go :yay:

Hope you're all doing well, HHG!!!!

:hiya2: I'm 18 Weeks Post

I'm removing pieces of my ends when I take down my braids for braidouts. Also I'm braiding every night which couldn't be healthy for my ends. :nono: Hopefully when I flat iron later this month, I would meet my 2009 MBL Challenge so I can trim back to bra strip.

This is exactly what happened to me the couple times I tried braidouts. I know now that my hair does NOT like being braided or twisted in small sections. It only causes tangles and breakage. I don't even try braidouts now and I don't put more than 4 or 5 twists in my hair - just enough to get a nice wave, but no tangles. I sleep with one large french braid or 2 twists. Keeping my hair straight or stretched out at ALL times is really working for me. BTW I'm 7 months post.

I may have to try rollersetting. About how long does it take to do a rollerset?(I'm hair-lazy) and what kind and size rollers do you use?

I know I need to watch a rollersetting tutorial.

It takes me about an hour and I use purple size rollers. It's pretty simple as I've been doing it for decades (telling my age :look:).

It takes me about an hour and I use purple size rollers. It's pretty simple as I've been doing it for decades (telling my age :look:).

An hour? An hour? Girl, I can almost guarantee that I will NEVER rollerset my hair. lol

My hair limit is about 10-15 minutes - at most. Plus, I cowash and DC at least 3x/wk, so a rollerset would probably be a waste of time for me. (trying to justify my laziness)

ETA: Not if you started rollersetting at about 5 years old!

Last edited:
An hour? An hour? Girl, I can almost guarantee that I will NEVER rollerset my hair. lol

My hair limit is about 10-15 minutes - at most. Plus, I cowash and DC at least 3x/wk, so a rollerset would probably be a waste of time for me. (trying to justify my laziness)

ETA: Not if you started rollersetting at about 5 years old!

I'm 40 and I've been rollersetting since my early 20s.

Thanks so much for that feedback...is a flat iron any better?

I've been flat ironing my new growth every week since week 8, TRUST that I do not have any problem with my hair fully reverting. Soon as water (or sweat) hits it, its a wrap. I haven't used a hot comb for real since I was a little girl. But I think a flat iron would be healthier and safer. I know some people on here and folks I know IRL use hot combs with no problems though.

My update...I'm at 12 weeks, which is the longest I've gone without a touch up. Last week was a little frustrating since I got a lot of shedding. I've had to stop the damp/wet braid-outs. It just leads to breakage. I've decided to stick with keeping the hair straight, it stays more moisturized as well. So, I'm roller setting weekly, and lightly blowing roots. Then I keep it in a french braid and wear my wigs during the week.

Ugh I have to get into roller setting again. Sometimes I just don't want to sit under that dryer. But having my hair straight has kept me sane. I do wear it wet every few weeks, but in the middle of my hair towards the back the new growth dries and it stays that way. So I usually have to end up washing in order to not have breakage. It's getting cold, and I'm not feeling wet hair all the time.

I'm coming up on 17 weeks post. I've been doing a lot of trimming. My bad spot in the back that always breaks off was starting to create a "hole" look in the back of my head and also I've had some split ends. I saw a family member of mine recently and she commented on the fact that my hair looked thicker than it did the last time she saw me. it looked and felt awesome this weekend after getting a steam treatment, flat iron, and trim. my hair is short, but it was still swanging!

I am totally not concerned about length right now. I just want my hair to be thick and healthy. I'm actually starting to like my hair at this length and pondering keeping it this length for a while and not focus on length at all just health.

I've also discovered that if I tie my hair down tight with a scarf while I work out, and keep it tied down over night til the next day, it stays relatively straight. not like, for real straight, but straight enough to lay down and get a comb through, and not get all puffy and wild.

So now, I'm feeling like if I am going to keep my hair short for a while and not try to grow it out, that maybe I might texlax. I've always wanted to texlax but i'm not a DIYer at all and have yet to find a professional willing to texlax my hair. I've tried to explain what I want to stylists before but still ended up with the straight, wispy, stuck to the scalp look. I think trying to be a short straight natural and exercise just does not seem like the business:nono: And I'm not really fond of braids, twists, wigs, or weaves nor do i have enough hair for stuff like braid outs/twist outs or buns. But I guess I will give it some more weeks before I decide what to do.

Last edited:
My update...I'm at 12 weeks, which is the longest I've gone without a touch up. Last week was a little frustrating since I got a lot of shedding. I've had to stop the damp/wet braid-outs. It just leads to breakage. I've decided to stick with keeping the hair straight, it stays more moisturized as well. So, I'm roller setting weekly, and lightly blowing roots. Then I keep it in a french braid and wear my wigs during the week.

I think I need to stop doing the same thing. I twisted my hair wet tonight and I had a lot of breakage. Next time im just going to use my flexi rods or blow out my roots.

i flat iron once a day because i exercise and like IMANI mentioned above, once sweat hits my head im done. I look a mess. Does anyone have any suggestions about hair styles for short, bob-hairstyle hair cut? thts the way i have mine and i would like to do a hair style where i dont have to flat iron it or apply heat to it...also does anyone have any good regimes? i need a good routine and maybe one of yours might work for me...

as of now i use Nature's Own shamp and condition and deep condition. what are some other good styling products? (i use Olive Oil products as well..)

Hey Ladies, just checking in. I'm hanging in there...I still have my box braids, so there's not much action over here. Congrats to all you so far for keeping up the transition and sharing your progress and experience! HHG. :)

i flat iron once a day because i exercise and like IMANI mentioned above, once sweat hits my head im done. I look a mess. Does anyone have any suggestions about hair styles for short, bob-hairstyle hair cut? thts the way i have mine and i would like to do a hair style where i dont have to flat iron it or apply heat to it...also does anyone have any good regimes? i need a good routine and maybe one of yours might work for me...

as of now i use Nature's Own shamp and condition and deep condition. what are some other good styling products? (i use Olive Oil products as well..)

Have you tried bantu knots, or maybe half or full wigs? Flat ironing your hair everyday is not a good look.

I have been dnot using heat on my hair for a couple of months, I wash/co-wash and DC once a week (two weeks when I'm being lazy) and wear either twist outs, knot outs or braid outs. I am still seeing a lot of shedding when I detangle, no matter how much condish I use, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I think I'm going to try the coffee rinse to see if that will help. I don't have enough length to do a nice bun, so I have to continue with the protective styles I know until it grows some. I don't want to BC because I don't think I could live with the short/in between stage yet again with my hair. Sigh.

Back