Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Hey ladies - had to run in here.
i posted a thread about next week making my THREE YEAR transition anniversary and how i STILL have tons of relaxed ends and was frustrated that i was a slow grower.

All of a sudden EVERYONE started telling me to cut, and cut, and BC, and cut. NOT ONE PERSON told me to keep it so i definitely need support today - lol.

I posted this pic of my hair after 3 years (minus one week) of transitioning - very stark diff between relaxed and natural hair. Can some people come in here and tell me ITS OK and i can make it for another 3 years? lol

Attachments

• stark diff.jpg
    stark diff.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 84
Anyone have a great detangler? I'm getting knots at demarcation line. And I am truely annoyed at how over processed I was in July. It seems the effects are really starting to show up since I haven't relaxed in 4 months. This is hard, this is real hard. But I am determined not to relax. In any event, need a great detangler if anyone has recommendations, I will greatly appreciate!

Crazydaze-I feel your pain. My hair isn't even as long as yours, but I am feeling a mini chop right now. Just want the relaxed ends gone. But I am not going to cut. Maybe do a dust, that may help the feeling pass (may try it myself). But hang in there as long as you can. You've done it for 3 years and that is a long time, especially the patience -I've lost mine after 4 months. Best of luck to you. Swang those relaxed ends!

I'm one week away from being 1 year post! Whoopee! :)

Last night though, I had a terrible dream. I sat down to get my hair braided, and the braider convinced me to just BC, and she cut down all my wonderful progress... ie. she cut my hair even short than just at the line of demarcation! It was so real! When I woke up I jumped out of bed, snatched off my scarf and felt my hair to make sure it was all still there! lol

i posted a thread about next week making my THREE YEAR transition anniversary and how i STILL have tons of relaxed ends and was frustrated that i was a slow grower.

All of a sudden EVERYONE started telling me to cut, and cut, and BC, and cut. NOT ONE PERSON told me to keep it so i definitely need support today - lol.

I posted this pic of my hair after 3 years (minus one week) of transitioning - very stark diff between relaxed and natural hair. Can some people come in here and tell me ITS OK and i can make it for another 3 years? lol
ITS OK!:yep: Don't let anyone tell you what to do with your hair and don't cut it until YOU are ready. Some people do grow their relaxers all the way out. Your textures don't look as extremely different as some, so please go for another 3 years if that is what you want. And don't stress!

Anyone have a great detangler? I'm getting knots at demarcation line. And I am truely annoyed at how over processed I was in July. It seems the effects are really starting to show up since I haven't relaxed in 4 months. This is hard, this is real hard. But I am determined not to relax. In any event, need a great detangler if anyone has recommendations, I will greatly appreciate!

A lot of people swear by mane and tail detangler. I would use oil and remove the knots by hand before you wet your hair. Be sure to saturate your demarcation line with conditioner. Also watch your protein /moisture balance!

Giovanni Direct Leave in is a great detangler for my hair.

I always finger detangle when rinsing out my conditioner (cowash or DC)... immediately after applying Giovanni Direct Leave in to my damp hair, my hair instantly softens up and I don't struggle with detangling it (with a wide tooth comb).

:lachen: I've had my share of scary hair nightmares too! It's such a relief to wake up and realise it's only a nightmare!

I totally understand your excitment at being almost one year post, I'm a couple of weeks behinf you.

HHG!
I'm one week away from being 1 year post! Whoopee! :)

Last night though, I had a terrible dream. I sat down to get my hair braided, and the braider convinced me to just BC, and she cut down all my wonderful progress... ie. she cut my hair even short than just at the line of demarcation! It was so real! When I woke up I jumped out of bed, snatched off my scarf and felt my hair to make sure it was all still there! lol

Tranz & Muumy- Thanks. I forgot about mane & tail. I started looking into it a few weeks back, but stopped, because trying to use what I have. I def have to go back to pre-pooing with oils, and really taking my time detangling. Thanks again ladies.

This past weekend, I airdried, blowout roots in part area, and used my caruso steam rollers. My hair looked like a lovely and THICK rollerset. :yep:

I just have to keep those roots moisturized but I love them though.....

trader joes norish spa con (it has parbens but is otherwise a natural product) is great for detangling. I use mane and tail and I still have it for emergencies, however it is cone based and those are a NO NO for me. Breakage everywhere took me a year to realize it.

Oil rinsing if good for preventing knots I would say. If you don't want to oil rinse then add a good bit of oil to your d/c. keeping your hair as moistureized as possible helps me to prevents knots as well.

Also the bestthing for me and knots where straight or curly is to finger detangle everyday and I don't were my hair loose. Even when wearing twist outs I have to make suck my hair is either securely bunned or retwisted at night. I hope this helps.

If it help for me I had alot of issues with breakage and know in months 4 thur 6 but it just stopped and I haven't had any trouble since. I think a lot of it had to do with learning what my hair did and didn't like. :grin:

I wanna join! Last time I transitioned it was almost a year and then I did the BC. Hopefully I can last till then. I'm currently 4 wks post.

I know I'm a little late with my response but I've been drooling over your siggy for the longest. If my hair was your length, I'd let the relaxed ends rot off before I let someone in my hair with scissors.

Your hair is gorgeous & you use the BKT so if the ends aren't bothering you then the heck with what EVERYONE else has to say.

I'm almost 6 months post and I was having major knot issues for the last like three or four weeks. It was driving me CRAZY. I stopped using ayurveda cowashes after a minor setback I had with some bad powders a while back. I decided to pick it back up today for my wash and guess what...no knots! :grin: I covered my hair in red palm oil, put a shower cap on and did some other stuff. Then I used about 60/40 of Kalpi Tone and Brahmi powders, made a paste and let it sit on my hair for about 30 minutes, then cowashed it out with Aussie Moist Conditioner. No knots and sooooft hair! :yep:

Sorry honey...just getting home from a long day!! My My aren't you in a web....everyone said CUT? Well, my question is how is the health of the hair and what are you leaning more towards doing? The hair looks beautful and healthy...is this the case?

Crazydaze, I was one of the people who said to cut gradually, but only because you said the ends were bothering you. Other than keeping your hair straight, or using rods on the ends, I didn't know what else you could do. I'm NOT BC'ing, I just wear my hair straight or in up-do's all the time. Shorter sections of my hair are 50/50 texlaxed/natural. My crown has 6" of new growth and 10" of texlaxed hair. After I get to bsl or mbl I'll start cutting away about and inch per month. Since my hair grows about that much in a month, I'll be able to get rid of the ends in a few months without losing length.

Sorry, if we alarmed you with all the CUT, CUT, CUT!

Last edited:
I know I'm a little late with my response but I've been drooling over your siggy for the longest. If my hair was your length, I'd let the relaxed ends rot off before I let someone in my hair with scissors.

Your hair is gorgeous & you use the BKT so if the ends aren't bothering you then the heck with what EVERYONE else has to say.

Sorry honey...just getting home from a long day!! My My aren't you in a web....everyone said CUT? Well, my question is how is the health of the hair and what are you leaning more towards doing? The hair looks beautful and healthy...is this the case?

Crazydaze, I was one of the people who said to cut gradually, but only because you said the ends were bothering you. Other than keeping your hair straight, or using rods on the ends, I didn't know what else you could do. I'm NOT BC'ing, I just wear my hair straight or in up-do's all the time. Shorter sections of my hair are 50/50 texlaxed/natural. My crown has 6" of new growth and 10" of texlaxed hair. After I get to bsl or mbl I'll start cutting away about and inch per month. Since my hair grows about that much in a month, I'll be able to get rid of the ends in a few months without losing length.

Sorry, if we alarmed you with all the CUT, CUT, CUT!

Thanks! i was leaning towards letting them rot off, i was just frustrated that it was taking so long for that to happen, when other pple are completely natural in 2 years...so it was more like a frustration over growth than the two textures.

as far as the health - its just 'ok'. i would love for it to be thicker (rite now its just big and puffy and thin) and it gets splits easily so im constantly doing s & ds.

wasnt having a cut/no cut debate, just venting, but was alarmed by the cut, cut - lol. u know how it is - you want long hair NOW, and all natural hair NOW, and healthy hair NOW, and it doesnt work that way lol.

Does anyone know of a good moisturizer????

Off the top of my head some of the most popular include S-Curl, Hairveda whipped cream, qhemet burdock root, Herbal Essense LTR, Hawaian Silky 14-1...there's so many more....I'm having a brain freeze right now:lachen:...ladies, chime in please....

Off the top of my head some of the most popular include S-Curl, Hairveda whipped cream, qhemet burdock root, Herbal Essense LTR, Hawaian Silky 14-1...there's so many more....I'm having a brain freeze right now:lachen:...ladies, chime in please....

Aussie Moist mixed with rosewater :)

I am new to this but transitioning from a very short pixie cut/relaxed to natural but can NOT bring myself to be any shorter without chemicals than my current cut--- my hair has grown roughly 3.5 inches in the past few months so I trimmed my ends and got kinky twist extensions November 13,2009. I will take any advice on what to do next; I did order DHD H2O shampoo and DHD Relief deep conditioner as well as Lisa Akbari moisture plus as a daily conditioner. Does anyone recommend hair growth vitamins in addition to a good diet and healthy hair regimen to get to shoulder length in the next 12 months?

GREAT!!!! I have Scurl and it works wonders, however, it leaves a residue on top of my weave so I can not use it to often...
I ordered some moisturizers from afroveda so fingers crossed...

I think I am going make this 2 year transition... I am almost 1/4th way there...

Ok, plans for tomorrow:

Wash and condition hair and then put in the curlformers.

Will leave them there until I take them out before going into work... on Tuesday.

That should last until Friday.

lol @ Kiffany....paint dry! No don't get discouraged girl!!!! Patience is the secret!

Miss. Toya...I'm not sure of any specific growth vitamins but a good regimen including and diet, patience and low manipulation are definately key factors to get that hair growing and allowing you to retain your legnths.

I am new to this but transitioning from a very short pixie cut/relaxed to natural but can NOT bring myself to be any shorter without chemicals than my current cut--- my hair has grown roughly 3.5 inches in the past few months so I trimmed my ends and got kinky twist extensions November 13,2009. I will take any advice on what to do next; I did order DHD H2O shampoo and DHD Relief deep conditioner as well as Lisa Akbari moisture plus as a daily conditioner. Does anyone recommend hair growth vitamins in addition to a good diet and healthy hair regimen to get to shoulder length in the next 12 months?

the extensions are a good idea. if you're new to supplements, i'd suggest starting off with a hair, skin, & nails vitamin. i had great results with GNC's HS&K supplement. it had 3000 mcg of biotin. i took it for 5 months, & my nails became super strong, skin cleared up, & my new growth comes in very soft. :yep: if you can stick with it & take it every day, you'll have great results as well.

Back