Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Noooooooooooooooo. I was hoping to see your progress pics. LOL.

:thud: I'm sorry! I was so irritated because I was in a constant battle with relaxed ends vs. NG.:arguing: I'll probably do a length check in January. I can say that I'm pleased with the condition of my hair. I should have had more length (I think nape setbacks were my biggest problem :nono:). But nape has really improved since I stopped relaxing it.:yep:

29 weeks post today!:bouncy:

:thud: I'm sorry! I was so irritated because I was in a constant battle with relaxed ends vs. NG.:arguing: I'll probably do a length check in January. I can say that I'm pleased with the condition of my hair. I should have had more length (I think nape setbacks were my biggest problem :nono:). But nape has really improved since I stopped relaxing it.:yep:

29 weeks post today!:bouncy:

thats cool. gotta do what you gotta do. :) and i'm happy you are 29 weeks post :clap: good job. I'm a little behind you (will be 22 wks post on a tuesday :look:lol)

Can I be in?
I'm currently transitioning to texlaxed and I believe once I'm WL, I'll start a proper transition to natural because I LOVE big hair!!:bouncegre
Currently using buns to grow out my hair but I NEED to buy some more half-wigs!

I was successful with roller sets up until 10 wks. post. Now I wear a bantu knot out most days but still attempt to roller set on occasion. A few days ago I used Aussie Moist and fell i love. My ng is soo soft and my bantu knot out came out better than usual. My friends noticed and that felt good. I wash and DC 2x per week(usually:ohwell:). Then I spray with a mixture of Infusium 23, pepperment oil and some Carols Daughter oil that i want to get rid of. Put a bit of Cantu Shea Butter on and air dry about 80% before I twits it. Approaching 16 weeks and going strong.

9 months post on 11/12. Still doing my regimen. No more braidout/twistouts etc for now. My relaxed hair won't cooperate in creating a cohesive textured style. Now that its getting cold, I prefer to wear my hair mainly in protective styles anyway. Rollersets and protective styles for the winter for me. Still working through my stash while it works, but I want to try the La Plancha dc. Been doing a traycee style bun thing only with a single braid instead of a ponytail.

Hey ladies I wanted to know if I could join this group? I am 15 weeks post and plan on cutting my hair when i am two years post relaxer? I am nervous....i have transitioned twice and lost to the relaxer but this time i want to really go through with it

I'm in I don't want to really cut my hair at all more then trims so I'll be stalking this thread maybe I'll learn on my own so I can contribute to it also

Hi, ladies! I'm in! Glad this thread got started too, cuz I don't think I could transition with a BC. My last relaxer was in April 2009, and I have been wearing Curlformers, micros and cornrows to transition. My hair is big time 4a - 4b. :) Does anyone know how to do flat twists or braids; I need a way to wear it to take a break once I get these micros out?? TIA & HHG!

Just checking in. Approaching 20 weeks post. Still undecided if I am going to eventually relax or not. But the more I handle my hair I lean towards not! I have to much breakage, for me. I know its inevitable. Right now I am wigging it so I don't have to manipulate. I think my hairs wants to be untouched. May start washing every 2 weeks. Yesterday I used Kenra clarifying poo-but braided my hair to wash. Virtually no tangles. Then removed the braids to DC, but kept hair in sections. So much easier. So ladies if you are having a tough time with tangles, even though it takes a lil longer, washing, conditioning in sections may be beneficial.

Soon to be 7 months since last texlax! Haven't had any issues. BKT treatment and 3-4x/wk co-washing is producing great results - soft, smooth, silky hair - no breakage.

The longest layers are at apl and I should reach full apl in another month or so. I'll start trimming away the texlaxed hair slowly after I reach bsl, which should occur around April or May 2010, God willing.

I have no clue how long it's been since my last perm, more than a year, probably going on two now. I wish I had known about LHCF before, I swear I could have some serious growth by now. But I didn't know what to do with my hair, so even though I stopped perming, I was still blow drying and flat ironing, and haven't had much growth. My hair is healthier than before though, so I was doing something right, and it has grown.. just not as much as I'd like it too. I think that I've clipped all the permed ends off my hair by now, but I'm gonna be checkin this thread like a bandit looking for more tips. Hope to be able to share my good stories soon to help others as well.

Hello all,

I am currently 5 months post. The longest I have gone without a relaxer is a little over a year. I would wear weaves and braids. To give my hair a rest, I would get it hot-combed/flat ironed ever so often.

However, I think I will do something a bit different this time around. I think I will alternate between sewn in weaves and half wigs. I have about 7 wigs picked out on Hairsisters that I need to purchase. I will probably only straighten a couple of times for a length check and trim.

Per my stylist she said it would take about 2 years for the relaxer to grow out of my hair, depending on how fast my hair grows. So, hopefully by the end of next year, I will be pretty close to being natural.

Last edited:
Hi ladies....

I'm still hanging in there... It is getting more difficult in dealing with the two textures. I'm really considering braids soon... I'm trying to hold off though.

I attempt to do a braid out...hmmmm, I don't care much for it.. I don't have it lasting no longer than a day or two on my hair, then back up in a pony it goes.

Oh well.... I aint turning back to crack so I guess I got to deal with it....

(creamy crack that it.....:lachen:)

I've decided to transition. :) I have no idea how many weeks post I am, maybe 10. I plan to transition for 1.5 to 2 years :drunk: lol. Will be lurking in this thread for sure. :yep:

Well I'm back to bunning. I can't deal with all that "doing" my hair. I have a game plan for my edges though. I will use my Claudie's Edges Gro Balm 2x/a day. I will do a hot oil treatment 1x/wk with my oil concoction (JBCO, Afroveda's Shikakai Growth Elixir, Gro Aut, and Mahabhringraj oil--I'm thinking of adding rosemary oil to this). As soon as I walk in the door if it is not a hair day I will take the bun down and plait my hair up. If it is a hair day then I will airdry in plaits. I also have two other products that I need to incorporate in my regimen related to thickening up hair and strengthening up my strands. These edges need to know I am not playing :giggle:.

I don't even have nearly as much hair as most of you in this thread and I am beginning to feel the challenges of transitioning with two textures, lol. I don;t think I've ever in my life has hair as thick and full as I do now. Kudos to my regimen this year, but man, sometimes I just wanna karate kick all my new growth...I find that my wash days are my best day! everything else in between is just a lot of finger crossing and hope for a good hair day, lol! I'm j/k. So anyways, I'm very certain that I need to get my hair in a sew in or box braids asap; i wanted to wait till January but it may be Dec instead. I just don't want to overdo the half wig thing that I've been doing for some months now...I want to give my hair a variety of protective styling options so I don't cause stress on any one particular area of my hair for too long. So that's my update thus far ladies, HHG!!!!

Well I'm back to bunning. I can't deal with all that "doing" my hair. I have a game plan for my edges though. I will use my Claudie's Edges Gro Balm 2x/a day. I will do a hot oil treatment 1x/wk with my oil concoction (JBCO, Afroveda's Shikakai Growth Elixir, Gro Aut, and Mahabhringraj oil--I'm thinking of adding rosemary oil to this). As soon as I walk in the door if it is not a hair day I will take the bun down and plait my hair up. If it is a hair day then I will airdry in plaits. I also have two other products that I need to incorporate in my regimen related to thickening up hair and strengthening up my strands. These edges need to know I am not playing :giggle:.

You are too funny Shay.....go on girl and let those edges know who's boss!!!!:lachen:

What challenges are everyone in this support group also a part of? What hair issues are you all currently facing? My big problem is thickenging and growing out my edges (as you can see in the left pic of my siggy :(....) And overall achieveing good moisture for my hair...that has always been a challenge of mine...but with ACV rinses and some frequent conditoning, I think that I'm getting closer to maintaining good moisture in my hair.

Also,how many times a week are you all washing/cowashing your hair now that you are transitioning?

Hey Smiley,

I'd say my biggest problem is keeping my hair moisturized. I just do NOT take the time to make sure my hair is in its best condition and it's probably resenting me for it. I co-wash/wash/dc whenever I feel like it, or if some free time arises, but I might need some routine in my life :yep:. ALSO, I do not have any set transitioning styles...I want it different like everyday! lol (but I might be abusing it with all this manipulation)

Well I washed, and conditioned my hair, and then I blow dryed and then flat ironed my roots.

I'm not going to wear my hair out, because it grows unevenly, and I'm not taking scissors to my hair until I'm ready to cut off all the relaxed ends.

This is the first time I've used heat since my last relaxer.

Next week Tuesday I think I'll get twists, or something, dunno yet.

What challenges are everyone in this support group also a part of? What hair issues are you all currently facing?
I'm in a bunch of challenges. I hope I remember them all:
Deep Conditioning
Hide Your Hair
LHCF Bootcamp
Use 1, Buy 1
Get Your Hands Outta Your Hair
Porosity Control (is that still going on????)

Hair Issues--I grew my edges back and I'm trying to get them filled in a bit more, stronger, and to stay :lachen:. Another issue is I am ready to be natural now but I know I need to hang for the minimum 1 year to feel comfortable.

how many times a week are you all washing/cowashing your hair now that you are transitioning?
Washing 1x/wk and Cowashing 2x/wk

My answers are above.

Hi all! My last relaxer was about five or six months ago. I only just started taking care of my hair so I am going through some major breakage and dryness. For the past three months, I have been flat ironing out the roots (or letting my hairstylist do it) but now I am doing everything on my own. I am trying to stay away from heat, which is a little rough because my hair is so thick. I break a lot of hair by just putting a comb through it. I am going to start co-washing on Wednesdays and I hope that will help. My only problem is knowing when I need protein. I don't know whether to stay away from it or if I actually need it. I did the Aphogee Reconstructor about two weeks ago and I could have sworn it stopped my breakage for two days. But then I did a wet test and I realized that maybe I had too much protein. So I'm so confused and I'm hoping for the best. I'll keep you all updated!

Back