Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

I have a question for you ladies. Since I'll either be in cornrows under a wig or wearing individuals for at least the next 18 months, how necessary is a trim? I know some people say trimming prevents the split from travelling up the hair shaft. But if I'm not manipulating my hair daily, then how would a split travel?

Really, my rationale is if I avoid trims, I won't be tempted to straighten & wear my hair out.

What do you think? Could I actually go 18 months without a trim if I was hiding my hair the entire time? TIA...

I think that sounds very reasonable. That's my same mentality :yep:. lol.
ETA: the way u have your hair braided in that pic to go under your wig has been my staple hairstyle for most of this year. I actually got it like that right now. lol.

I'm three months post and need to straighten my hair for a job interview later today at 2pm. Im just realizing that it will be humid and rainy today and more than likely hot. I normally relax every 10-12 weeks and have no idea of what changes I should be making in order to avoid a freezy mess. My roots are very thick and coarse, so the last thing I want is two different textures once I arrive. I don't have any Sabino Moisture Block, but Salley's is around the way. I have no idea what to do at this point. Any suggestions?

I'm in!

I'm currrently 9 weeks post with about an inch or so of new growth, about 5 inches of texlaxed hair, and about 6 or 7 inches of bone strait relaxed hair. I'm definitely transitioning to texlaxed, but am also contemplating totally swearing off relaxers. We'll see.

But I'm seriously loving how thick and healthy my new growth and texlaxed hair looks compared to my bone strait hair. :ohwell:

I have a question for you ladies. Since I'll either be in cornrows under a wig or wearing individuals for at least the next 18 months, how necessary is a trim? I know some people say trimming prevents the split from travelling up the hair shaft. But if I'm not manipulating my hair daily, then how would a split travel?

Really, my rationale is if I avoid trims, I won't be tempted to straighten & wear my hair out.

What do you think? Could I actually go 18 months without a trim if I was hiding my hair the entire time? TIA...

I'm at 56 weeks and I just snip a little during my year transition. Allandra just finish her 2 + years of transitioning and she just trim a little too. You'll find her in the New transitioner support thread.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=312457

Last edited:
I'm three months post and need to straighten my hair for a job interview later today at 2pm. Im just realizing that it will be humid and rainy today and more than likely hot. I normally relax every 10-12 weeks and have no idea of what changes I should be making in order to avoid a freezy mess. My roots are very thick and coarse, so the last thing I want is two different textures once I arrive. I don't have any Sabino Moisture Block, but Salley's is around the way. I have no idea what to do at this point. Any suggestions?

Honestly I don't know much about anti-frizz products. If it was me, I'd just wear a scarf to the interview & take it off in the car right before. HTH...

I think that sounds very reasonable. That's my same mentality :yep:. lol.
ETA: the way u have your hair braided in that pic to go under your wig has been my staple hairstyle for most of this year. I actually got it like that right now. lol.

What's your routine? How long do you keep yours braided before rebraiding? I was saying that I was going to rebraid it every month but now I'm thinking about going longer. Don't know yet.

I'm 14 weeks post and have learned not to take shortcuts by using the sink. It gave me so many small tangles throughout my hair.

I got my oldest sister to trim my ends and next I will try Traycee's search and destroy method for trimming. :yep:

For shedding I'm adding garlic powder to my conditioner and I'm still using protein treatments every other week. For some reason I'm still losing hair while I detangle. Maybe it's due to not shampooing enough as I try to avoid shampoo and just clarify once a month.

My hair has been styled in either braids or braidouts. I'm learning my hair texture. Roux Porosity Control as a final rise has also helped me.

I've noticed that I have what looks like 3c (front where my skin is extremely oily) /4a/4b hair if that's possible. :look:

Well see though as I will go back to shampooing weekly but heavily diluted with water. :ohwell:

Last edited:
What's your routine? How long do you keep yours braided before rebraiding? I was saying that I was going to rebraid it every month but now I'm thinking about going longer. Don't know yet.

Right now, I'm trying to go for 12 weeks. The longest I've done it was for 8 weeks. As far as my regimen/routine goes, I just wash once every 2-3 weeks (prevents from matting if you don't wash so often while still in braid). I use a small piece of extension to prevent the braid from unraveling. Also, I alternate between moisturizing and spraying my CHI keratin spray on it (to keep my moisture/protein balance). It has worked soo great for me. When i take my hair out, it usually feels strong and moist. But for me, I found out early in my journey that I don't need to moisturize everyday. HTH. :yep:
ETA: I also take vitamins.

Right now, I'm trying to go for 12 weeks. The longest I've done it was for 8 weeks. As far as my regimen/routine goes, I just wash once every 2-3 weeks (prevents from matting if you don't wash so often while still in braid). I use a small piece of extension to prevent the braid from unraveling. Also, I alternate between moisturizing and spraying my CHI keratin spray on it (to keep my moisture/protein balance). It has worked soo great for me. When i take my hair out, it usually feels strong and moist. But for me, I found out early in my journey that I don't need to moisturize everyday. HTH. :yep:
ETA: I also take vitamins.

Someone on another thread mentioned this product http://www.takedownproducts.com/index.php & now I'm definitely thinking about keeping this in for 3 months before I get it rebraided. I think the less I manipulate my hair, the better. When I got mine braided, she sewed the end of the braid to keep it from unraveling.

The last weave that I had I kept for 3 months & I was doing MT & everything & it didn't matte.

Someone on another thread mentioned this product http://www.takedownproducts.com/index.php & now I'm definitely thinking about keeping this in for 3 months before I get it rebraided. I think the less I manipulate my hair, the better. When I got mine braided, she sewed the end of the braid to keep it from unraveling.

The last weave that I had I kept for 3 months & I was doing MT & everything & it didn't matte.

Thanks for the link, will definitely check it out.

I agree with you. the less i manipulate, the better. Unfortunately DH hates the way the braids look. And he says, "I don't think you have to keep it in that long for your hair to grow." I just LOL at him. I'm like, "baby, i just dont want to (or feel like) manipulating my hair, and I already know that I don't have to do this for my hair to grow." LOL. I told him, "You will love the results." And he knows. But yeah, I think you can keep them in for a good lil minute.:yep:

I will be at 25 weeks this Friday. I am not having any problems, but I do have a question. I cowash or just rinse my hair 4/5 days out of the week. Is it really necessary to DC? Sometimes I may make a homemade conditioner and leave it on for a few hours but I never use heat. Am I really missing out, or do the frequent cowashes equal to 1 DC?

Thanks in Advance

Hey Ladies! And welcome newcomers! I am so upset. I finally got the braids on Sunday so I could do a low maintenance protective style for the rest of the year. Would you believe that I took them out last night!:wallbash: They were beautiful! I used the Freetress Brand Loose Curl hair and that sucker refused to stay in my head; it kept unbraiding to the point that they kept sliding out my hair throughout the day. I was very disappointed with this brand and will NEVER use it again. I will give Batik a try (even though I'm not crazy about their curl patterns). Thank God the hair was braided for free by my dad's wife so there was barely any money lost. So ladies, I'm gonna treat myself to some half wigs and just wig it out for the rest of the year and then do a sew-in come January. I'm hanging in there though. Keep up the good work everyone and Happy Hair Growth. You can do itttttt!!!! :lachen:

I will be at 25 weeks this Friday. I am not having any problems, but I do have a question. I cowash or just rinse my hair 4/5 days out of the week. Is it really necessary to DC? Sometimes I may make a homemade conditioner and leave it on for a few hours but I never use heat. Am I really missing out, or do the frequent cowashes equal to 1 DC?

Thanks in Advance

I asked my stylist a similar question - it was more pertaining to why she didn't use heat when she did a DC on me. She explained that the line of conditioner she uses had molecules small enough to penetrate the cuticle without heat & that basically the purpose of heat was so that the conditioner could penetrate the cuticle layer. Forgive me if I'm not using the correct technical term but I would think especially since you're not using heat that you would need to do a real DC at some point unless you're using a conditioner formulated to work without heat. HTH...

I'm still hanging in there. So I just realized I didn't get my last relaxer when I thought I did, so I am only 12 weeks post. I am still wearing my hair straight.

I still see an occasional split end when i pick up hairs to examine them even though i got a trim not too long ago. I will have to trim again soon, i want all these split ends gone asap

So over the weekend my sister calls me to ask "hae ou thought about kiddie perms?" And I'm like its the same chemicals. There is nothing kiddie about a kiddie perm (didn't tell her that she is sensitive right now.) But then I got to thinking about textlaxing my hair and what I wanted my hair to be like after I cut off the supper straight ends. Many years ago my stylist only textlaxed my hair (I did know it at the time) and it was very healthy.
But then I snapped out of it. My natural hair isn't that hair to manage and really only wavy.
My only real problem is there is alot of it. So end of story I'm off the ledge.

Thanks for the support peeps.

I'll be 29 weeks post this Friday. I think I'm going to get my hair braided tomorrow because I don't really have a lot of time to style my hair when I'm on the road.

I asked my stylist a similar question - it was more pertaining to why she didn't use heat when she did a DC on me. She explained that the line of conditioner she uses had molecules small enough to penetrate the cuticle without heat & that basically the purpose of heat was so that the conditioner could penetrate the cuticle layer. Forgive me if I'm not using the correct technical term but I would think especially since you're not using heat that you would need to do a real DC at some point unless you're using a conditioner formulated to work without heat. HTH...

Thank you, that makes sense. Do you know what kind of conditioner your stylist use? I hate sitting under the dryer!!! :sad:
I know there was a thread about the ingredients in DC vs reg conditioner, I guess that's what I need to look for.

Hey Ladies! And welcome newcomers! I am so upset. I finally got the braids on Sunday so I could do a low maintenance protective style for the rest of the year. Would you believe that I took them out last night!:wallbash: They were beautiful! I used the Freetress Brand Loose Curl hair and that sucker refused to stay in my head; it kept unbraiding to the point that they kept sliding out my hair throughout the day. I was very disappointed with this brand and will NEVER use it again. I will give Batik a try (even though I'm not crazy about their curl patterns). Thank God the hair was braided for free by my dad's wife so there was barely any money lost. So ladies, I'm gonna treat myself to some half wigs and just wig it out for the rest of the year and then do a sew-in come January. I'm hanging in there though. Keep up the good work everyone and Happy Hair Growth. You can do itttttt!!!! :lachen:

I am so sry to hear about your hair. How long did it take for her to braid your hair? I had bad experiences with ppl braiding my hair, it always slid out. So now I braid my hair and as it gets old my nape may slide out but that's it. Do you know how to braid or you don't have the time?

Hey Scorp...luckily it only took atbout 3 1/5 to 4 hours and unfortunately I sure do not know how to braid. Girl, i was so disappointed. oh well. another lesson learned. :)

Thank you, that makes sense. Do you know what kind of conditioner your stylist use? I hate sitting under the dryer!!! :sad:
I know there was a thread about the ingredients in DC vs reg conditioner, I guess that's what I need to look for.

The name of the Deep Conditioner is Design Essentials Stimulations Super Moisturizing Conditioner & though it's the DC, I like their Express Instant Moisturizing Conditoner better. From the DE website:

Stimulations Super Moisturizing Conditioner is a super charged conditioner that quickly penetrates the scalp, calms and relaxes the senses with its aromatherapeutic peppermint scent while at the same time leaving the hair soft and manageable.

Express Instant Moisturizing Conditioner has been formulated for the busy, yet hair conscious consumer. The rich blend of moisturizers instantly penetrates the cuticle and infuses the hair shaft with moisture. Conditioning time is reduced and hair is silky and soft in just minutes.

I would like to join. My last relaxer was 6/26/09. I haven't used heat since mid August 09 and have been bunning or braidouts. I wash, cond, and DC once a week. I comb only on wash days. I'm still experimenting with leave-ins. Right now I use Cantu Shea Butter and will continue to use it until it's all gone. Then I will try something new. My biggest concern is shedding - maybe I'll try the tip of mixing garlic powder in my condish.

Thanks for starting this thread!:grin:

Sorry to hear about that. The same thing happened to me when I got my braids for the first time about three years ago. I ended up having to take them down less than a month later. But at least you learned what works and what doesn't. I'm thinking about getting a half wig next summer while I do my internship but I've never used a half wig before. I'm gonna need as much advice as possible so I hope you keep us updated on how that works for you. Good luck & HHG!

I am ready! So far it has been 4 months since my last perm. Currently I have micros in- planning on taking them out this weekend. I almost had a moment of weakness and concidered relaxing again today because I don't know what to do when I take these braids out. A support thread is a wonderful idea!

Wow, that is exactly how I felt...sometimes I was tempted to slap that cream but this support thread has really kept me focused as well.

The name of the Deep Conditioner is Design Essentials Stimulations Super Moisturizing Conditioner & though it's the DC, I like their Express Instant Moisturizing Conditoner better. From the DE website:

Stimulations Super Moisturizing Conditioner is a super charged conditioner that quickly penetrates the scalp, calms and relaxes the senses with its aromatherapeutic peppermint scent while at the same time leaving the hair soft and manageable.

Express Instant Moisturizing Conditioner has been formulated for the busy, yet hair conscious consumer. The rich blend of moisturizers instantly penetrates the cuticle and infuses the hair shaft with moisture. Conditioning time is reduced and hair is silky and soft in just minutes.

I got a professional flat iron a couple of weeks ago and they used the DE instant moisturizing conditioner on me under a steamer. my hair felt really good. they never use the Stimulations of me bc it is too heavy. I have that one at home and every time I use it, I end up with that heavy plastic coated feeling

I went to the braid shop yesterday and got Senegalese Twists again.:grin: My last set lasted 3 months and I'm going to see if this set will last as long.

I got a professional flat iron a couple of weeks ago and they used the DE instant moisturizing conditioner on me under a steamer. my hair felt really good. they never use the Stimulations of me bc it is too heavy. I have that one at home and every time I use it, I end up with that heavy plastic coated feeling

Well @ least I know it's not my imagination. The Stimulations is supposed to be a DC & my stylist has fussed @ me b/c I admitted that I had only been using the Express. She told me I at least needed to use the Stimulations once a month but I hate the way it makes my hair feel. The Express makes my hair feel sooo good.

Back