Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

I've had been bunning practically 24/7 since I started this HHJ. Then I noticed my edges were nearly gone. I have since switched to braidouts,twistouts, and flexirod sets. I may bun once a week now. My buns are never tight my edges are just fragile. I am working on strengthening them because unlike some folks rather than looking forward to a big a$$ afro or puff when natural I am looking forward to a big a$$ bun.

awesome growth! what is your regimen?

1 year 2 weeks for me today, i will be wigging it till 2010(crown + glory challenge begins). 11 months 2 more weeks to go :)

Thanks, I think so too. Ever one say you only get 1/2 in, per month, but I think I got a little more than that. What you think ladies? :rolleyes:

I would love to join! I just shared with my sister that I am going to go natural and she is quite pleased to hear although she doesn't believe me. (She has beautiful waistlength dreads) If I start sharing with everyone that I am transitioning then I will have to stay committed. :yep: Thank you ladies.
I have a group of naturals that I became friends with when I was natural & they never kicked me out of the group when I decided to get a curl. I told some of them that I was transitioning to stay committed as well.

Are any of you taking hair vitamins that you recommend or find to be helpful during the transition? I'm interested in Biotin but I fear headaches. :(
I take cysteine, lysine, a hair, skin & nail vitamin (all by Nature's Sunshine) and I take a tbsp of MSM in water twice a day, alta silica, and foti root. I used to take Biotin but I never got any headaches. I stopped taking it b/c it was GNC brand & I no longer shop there & I guess I forgot to ask my herb lady about biotin.

I would love to see more transitioning routines.

Here are my stats:
I'm exactly 22 weeks today post from a curl. I'm BSB and will be hiding my hair with wigs and Urban twists (see www.salontresbelle.com) for the next 18 months. I'm personally challenging myself to hide my hair until my oldest graduates from high school in 2011.

My routine will be:
- Weekly prepoo with Shikakai & Amla oils
- Weekly wash & DC w/Hairveda products
- Giovanni leave-in after wash & DC
- Daily moisturize w/Hairveda products (either the mist or the baggy cream)
- Nightly scalp massage w/GroAut, bhringraj & mahabhringraj oils
- Monthly protein treatment w/Hairveda treatment

For now I don't know how I'm going to handle trims. I will be wigging until mid January. I have a braider that will braid my hair in a circular pattern as if I was prepping for a weave. I will get it rebraided once a month. I will probably play trims by ear.

I prefer to wear my hair strait. I am losing progress with heat damage.

:cry3: Nooooo. Come back. We can do it!!! I'm just teasing you DDT. Well I hate to see you stopping, but do remember that this thread is a support thread, so do feel free to chime in with your challenges and hopefully we can get through them. But I completely understand, if the bad outweighs the good, then I can understand you holding off. I gave myself that same exception, if it ever ends up in a negative state, than I may have to restratagize my plans. But hang in there DDT and I hope you jump back on board soon. :yep:

Hey! :wave: Just checking in. Ok so I've had my hair in a PS for about a week and a half and I've noticed a major difference. It's a lot more moisturized and I'm starting to see less breakage.

The good thing is that I learned something about my hair: it cannot handle water more than once a week. I washed my hair last Tuesday because I had never done a midweek wash and I wanted to try it just to see what it would do. Unfortunately it seemed like it made my hair a lot dryer. I had planned on air drying it and keeping it in the PS but it just didn't look right. I ended up flat ironing (which is what I'm trying to eliminate if at all possible). So the moral of the story is that I actually listened to my hair and responded quickly when it told me :naughty:!

But I am having one problem though. My new growth is very healthy although looks like a jungle. Since I don't wear my hair down anymore I never part it. At night time when I do part it to apply my oil it seems so dry. I don't understand because I put oil on it every night and I cover it with a silk scarf. This weekend I'm going to apply my DC and leave it on for a couple of hours to let it "marinate" my new growth and see if this helps. Also I'm not going to flat iron at all (I think I may do a braid out). I'll be sure to post pictures and give an update on how this works but in the meantime if any of you have any advice I'm all open.

TIA and HHJ!

I BC the a 3inch by 1inch portion of my hair in the front. I had a feeling I had heat damage there from June and would search for split ends or whatever to solidify my thoughts. Sure enough last week I quite a few strands with splits. Then I saw another strand with splits going up the shaft. So I just cut it to about a half inch above my new growth. I was not trying to let that keep traveling up to my new growth because I refuse to have damaged natural hair :nono:. Luckily I am a headband girl so I just shove the hair under the headband and the straight ends blend into my half wig. I actually think with this cut in the front I can wear lots of different half wigs since blending won't be hard to do with only a few strands. I can stick them under the wig hairs lol.

I am 19 weeks post. I have been bunning all week and I think this will be my primary hairstyle. I plan to do a .5 in trim in December which would be about 3 months since my last trim. I am going to try to enjoy the transition and not focus on being natural.

I will be bunning with my phony pony on ladies. So far things are really going well. Here are some pics. Tell me what you think ladies.

Attachments

• Back of Bun.jpg
    Back of Bun.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Bun down 2.jpg
    Bun down 2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Front View and 8 weeks post texlax.jpg
    Front View and 8 weeks post texlax.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I'm in! I'm in! I'm currently working towards APL with over 3 months of new growth. I may just let my hair grow until my natural hair (straightened) is around shoulder length and then chop from there. Not sure though...

Hey! :wave: Just checking in. Ok so I've had my hair in a PS for about a week and a half and I've noticed a major difference. It's a lot more moisturized and I'm starting to see less breakage.

The good thing is that I learned something about my hair: it cannot handle water more than once a week. I washed my hair last Tuesday because I had never done a midweek wash and I wanted to try it just to see what it would do. Unfortunately it seemed like it made my hair a lot dryer. I had planned on air drying it and keeping it in the PS but it just didn't look right. I ended up flat ironing (which is what I'm trying to eliminate if at all possible). So the moral of the story is that I actually listened to my hair and responded quickly when it told me :naughty:!

I totally agree with you. I'm planning to wear wigs but until mine gets here, since I have 22 wks of new growth, I decided to cornrow my hair. I went over a week without washing my hair. Normally I wet it daily. I did an overnight prepoo with Ojon's Tawaka Ancient Tribal Rejuvenating Cream. When I pooed my hair (Design Essentials Moisture Poo - I'm trying to use up some things before I start hiding my hair) & DCed with Design Essential Express Cond mixed with a lil Joico Moisture Recovery it was sooo soft. I mixed some Cantu Shea Leave-in (again I'm using stuff up) with some Qhemet AOHC & put my hair in 4 celie plaits to air dry.

I had much less hair loss than normal when detangling. Actually I wouldn't even call it detangling b/c my hair really wasn't tangled. I may have to add an Ojon treatment to my monthly routine. Maybe I'll do it when I take my braids down once a month before my protein treatment. I will be listening to my hair. I will only be wetting it (outside of moisturizers) once a week from now on. Guess I've gone on long enough...:look:

I totally agree with you. I'm planning to wear wigs but until mine gets here, since I have 22 wks of new growth, I decided to cornrow my hair. I went over a week without washing my hair. Normally I wet it daily. I did an overnight prepoo with Ojon's Tawaka Ancient Tribal Rejuvenating Cream. When I pooed my hair (Design Essentials Moisture Poo - I'm trying to use up some things before I start hiding my hair) & DCed with Design Essential Express Cond mixed with a lil Joico Moisture Recovery it was sooo soft. I mixed some Cantu Shea Leave-in (again I'm using stuff up) with some Qhemet AOHC & put my hair in 4 celie plaits to air dry.

I had much less hair loss than normal when detangling. Actually I wouldn't even call it detangling b/c my hair really wasn't tangled. I may have to add an Ojon treatment to my monthly routine. Maybe I'll do it when I take my braids down once a month before my protein treatment. I will be listening to my hair. I will only be wetting it (outside of moisturizers) once a week from now on. Guess I've gone on long enough...:look:

Thanks so much for the advice. Looks like we're around the same stage in our transitioning. Good luck (and keep me posted on your results!)

Today is my wash day so I'll be back with an update some time Saturday.

I am 20 months post and don't plan on another small dusting til I hit the two year mark. I will continue my super easy routine of washing and dc'ing in braids every one to two weeks, detangling, and rebraiding to wear my wig. My length is around bsl so when I reach my goal of mbl, I will get one inch trims and maintain from there til I have all natural hair. Keep up the good work ladies!

I'm 19 weeks post today.

How much regrowth do 19 weekers have?

It looks like i only have about 1" - 1 and a half inches.

I have very thin strands so have to detangle every day and wash once a week otherwise i have trouble on my hands.

My new growth is so soft - when wet i just put my shea butter mix on the scalp and roots and blow dry. If i don't blowdry i have a tangled mess on my hands. My hair likes heat.

Attachments

• Big Chop Bang.jpg
    Big Chop Bang.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 51
  • I'se got a mullet hey hey.jpg
    I'se got a mullet hey hey.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 60
  • mullet length.jpg
    mullet length.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 58
  • length Nov.jpg
    length Nov.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I have always stretched my relaxers over 20 weeks, but I have decided to leave the relaxers alone, I‘ve had enough of my hair’s reaction to a relaxer and the different textures don’t help at all. Right now I am at 36 weeks post relax at first I had planned to do the BC but now I am just wiggin and braiding it while transitioning.

But I am having one problem though. My new growth is very healthy although looks like a jungle. Since I don't wear my hair down anymore I never part it. At night time when I do part it to apply my oil it seems so dry. I don't understand because I put oil on it every night and I cover it with a silk scarf. This weekend I'm going to apply my DC and leave it on for a couple of hours to let it "marinate" my new growth and see if this helps. Also I'm not going to flat iron at all (I think I may do a braid out). I'll be sure to post pictures and give an update on how this works but in the meantime if any of you have any advice I'm all open.

TIA and HHJ![/QUOTE]

If you are just using an oil- you may not be giving your hair enough moisture. This could be why it feels so dry. Maybe spritz a lil water on the new growth first, then using an oil or find a water based moisturizer and then seal with oil, see if there is a difference after a week or so. Oil works for some people as a moisturizer (many say coconut) but most find that a water based moisturizer, then an oil works better :dance7:

I have a question for you ladies. Since I'll either be in cornrows under a wig or wearing individuals for at least the next 18 months, how necessary is a trim? I know some people say trimming prevents the split from travelling up the hair shaft. But if I'm not manipulating my hair daily, then how would a split travel?

Really, my rationale is if I avoid trims, I won't be tempted to straighten & wear my hair out.

What do you think? Could I actually go 18 months without a trim if I was hiding my hair the entire time? TIA...

I have a question for you ladies. Since I'll either be in cornrows under a wig or wearing individuals for at least the next 18 months, how necessary is a trim? I know some people say trimming prevents the split from travelling up the hair shaft. But if I'm not manipulating my hair daily, then how would a split travel?

Really, my rationale is if I avoid trims, I won't be tempted to straighten & wear my hair out.

What do you think? Could I actually go 18 months without a trim if I was hiding my hair the entire time? TIA...

SouthernTease didn't trim for an entire year...I figure if you start with decent ends...why trim? Just my opinion....

If you are just using an oil- you may not be giving your hair enough moisture. This could be why it feels so dry. Maybe spritz a lil water on the new growth first, then using an oil or find a water based moisturizer and then seal with oil, see if there is a difference after a week or so. Oil works for some people as a moisturizer (many say coconut) but most find that a water based moisturizer, then an oil works better :dance7:
Thanks so much! Last night I washed by hair and DC'd with ORS replenishing pack mixed with some Proclaim Natural 7 oil while my hair was dripping wet. I put on a conditioning cap and sat under the dryer for about 20 or 30 minutes. Then I let it sit for about 4 hours without heat. When I finally rinsed my hair the new growth was so soft and manageable! And this was all before I read your post so you were right on the mark! :grin:

Thanks again.

Transitionig Without BCing Style #1

I got my hair braided this morning & I'm going wig shopping (not sure about the online vendor I was orginally going to order from) with my mother later today. I will be wigging at least until mid January. Then I'm going to switch up & get some Urban Twists.

1st.jpg

Hi im in! A little late. Im 7 months post form my last "tex-lax" I've been bunning for 2 months. I plan on BC'ing when my hair is BSL :) My regi:
1. Cowash 1-2 times per week using: V05 Tea Therapy conditioner.
2. DC'ing once a week with EO Essentials Lavender and Aloe or Coconut
3. Leave-In Giovanni Weightless or leave in one of the above conditioners
4. Seal my entire length with my oils mix (EVOO, Castor Oil, Grape Seed Oil, Peppermint EO, Vatika Coconut) , Seal ends with Shea Butter
5. Mega Tek - Sporafically 1-3 times a week.

P.S. I plan on consistently bunning until March plus I henna every 4-6 weeks and perform a caramel treatment every 6 weeks.

9 weeks post. found out the hard way today that i:

`can't deep condition overnight
`will have to start washing in plaits
`can't use the showercomb to detangle in the shower, my relaxed hairs are simply too fine, & snap right off under any sort of pressure while wet.

my new growth is doing fine, though!

i was *this* close to doing my BC today!

Back