Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Still braid underneath wig.. *sigh* I'm soooo done with this style. LOL. and there are not many wigs that I'd wear neither, to change it up.

I got my hair flat ironed at a new salon Saturday. My hair is straight,but it feels rough/dry especially the relaxed part and I had little 2 inch broken hairs even combing with a wide tooth comb. The salon i went to last time used Design Essentials products and my hair was silky but my roots reverted very quickly. This new salon uses a line of products developed by the owner for natural hair and my hair is still straight even after sweating but I cannot stand the way it feels. i've been drowning it in moisturizers/oils trying to revive it, it literally feels dead. Next time I"m going back to the salon that uses the DE products.

I'm also updating my fotki sometime this week, i haven't updated it in ages. I'm going to try to transition to 6 months and then decide if I want to go natural or not. After looking at the "Inspired by sylver2, long term relaxer stretch" thread, I'm considering just being on of those people that relax like twice a year. So we will see in 3 more months how I feel.

15 weeks and 2 days post. Got my hair flatironed and one inch trimmed off this weekend. It looks like I have a fresh relaxer. Movement, but no body, and STRAIGHT. The stylist suggested cutting another 1-2 inches next time, since my hair is cut in layers so we could get rid of the thin ends. I don't think I'm ready for that yet.

Last edited:
Hey Mummy! Everything's cool here. I think I'm about 25-26 weeks post now. I'll be doing a length check on Thursday, but I now have about 5" of new growth. I had some hair touching apl 2-3 weeks ago, so hopefully more have made it there!

Checking in!!! I will be 24 weeks this Friday. I am still cowashing everyday and still wearing my boring bun throughout the week. :nono:
I am using (in no certain order) Silicon Mix, Aphogee 2 min, Cantu Shea Leave In (I love this 1), Tresemme Antibreakage Condtioner and VO5 Conditioner. I always seal my hair with coconut oil and sometimes leave conditioner in my hair. On the weekends I flat iron my hair (mainly for my hubby).
I am not having any problems yet but I also BKT'd 4 weeks ago. This will be my second attempt at transitioning. I only made it 12 weeks before and I keep kicking myself because I would have been 32 weeks by now but I wanted a fresh relaxer for Memorial Day wknd:wallbash:
I hope by June 2010, I will be BSL and once I get to that length I can trim my relaxed hair until I am natural.

I too still have my hair cornrowed underneath my half wigs...I'm taking them out Thursday (I'm so happy). I'll give my hair some TLC and give it a couple days to rest. This weekend I'll be getting the braids and hopefully rock that through the end of 2009. I don't want the braids too small, just something I can bun and leave my hair alone. So, so far, all is well. I cannot stress how much I really believe frequent DC and/or cowashing is the key for us to get through this transitions process as smoothly as possible. I hope it continues this way...I'll check in after I wash my hair with more updates.

5" of new growth? I'm trying really hard not to be jealous :lachen: :sad:
I don't have anywhere close to 5" of new growth yet but I finally learned not to compare my growth to others'

Well done on getting to where you are now :yep:

Hey Mummy! Everything's cool here. I think I'm about 25-26 weeks post now. I'll be doing a length check on Thursday, but I now have about 5" of new growth. I had some hair touching apl 2-3 weeks ago, so hopefully more have made it there!

I too still have my hair cornrowed underneath my half wigs...I'm taking them out Thursday (I'm so happy). I'll give my hair some TLC and give it a couple days to rest. This weekend I'll be getting the braids and hopefully rock that through the end of 2009. I don't want the braids too small, just something I can bun and leave my hair alone. So, so far, all is well. I cannot stress how much I really believe frequent DC and/or cowashing is the key for us to get through this transitions process as smoothly as possible. I hope it continues this way...I'll check in after I wash my hair with more updates.

I agree with this. It worked wonders for me

Checking in-will be 18 weeks post 2morrow. In the process of looking for a wig-saw some cute ones. My plan is to keep it braided under the wigs at least til January. My main issue is tangling at the roots.

I'm joining...I am currently in week 59 or so of my transition (about a year and a month or so)...I don't plan on cutting until September, and I am more than halfway there!

I'm joining...I am currently in week 59 or so of my transition (about a year and a month or so)...I don't plan on cutting until September, and I am more than halfway there!

Yay! This makes me feel like it is definitely possible to go multiple years without BC'ing. Do you experience alot, or any, breakage along the line where your natural hair meets the relaxed ends?

Checking-in - I've reached my 1 year mark of transitioning. Still hanging in there. I have no problems as long as I'm bunning.

Congratulations ladies!!! Would you both agree that bunning is the key?
Blonde, do you have a given time when you want/plan to cut?

Im transitioning w/o big chopping, i've tried transtioning two timeds before and both times involved lots of breakage (pre hair board days). My last "tex-lax" was in April im new to this site though, is it too late to join?

Congratulations ladies!!! Would you both agree that bunning is the key?
Blonde, do you have a given time when you want/plan to cut?

Bunning is what I'm doing and it's working just great for me, but what works for me may not work for others. I have found out that it's hard to tex-lax because you have three dif type hair to deal with. So I will be going past the 12 weeks and try not to tex-lax. If things work out ok than I will go longer. Not getting alot of breakage and that's a plus. Wish others would let me know what has been working for them. I have 4b hair (I think) but it's nice and soft and doing well so far.:drunk:

Here is a few pics of what my hair is doing so far. I think I have got so good growth. What u think ladies? From June 3rd 09 to Oct 31 09.

Attachments

• better view.jpg
    better view.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Here is a few pics of what my hair is doing so far. I think I have got so good growth. What u think ladies? From June 3rd 09 to Oct 31 09.

awesome growth! what is your regimen?

1 year 2 weeks for me today, i will be wigging it till 2010(crown + glory challenge begins). 11 months 2 more weeks to go :)

Back