to those who are reaching their hair length goal

shygurl

i have read a lot of stories of women on this site who have had success with getting their hair to grow. i am curious as to what you began to do differently or what you started doing in order to reach your hair length goals.

I stopped cutting my hair everytime I see one itty bitty split in and started dusting more often (I've trimmed my own hair for the longest).

I'm the worlds most impatient person and I hate the way I look in shoulder length hair so usually if I got it cut short when it grew to shoulder length I would get anxious for it to be past that akward stage and end up chopping it all off.

And I can't even blame SHS, I was doing this all to myself
cry3.gif

To get over my obsession for no split ends and distate for shoulder length hair I began experimenting with styles other than straight down flat ironed hair.

I started usiing the right products that would keep my hair moisturized. See before I was getting the lenghth but could not retain it. My hair was so dry and breaking so much I had to cut it faster than it was growing.

Re: to those who are reaching their hair length go

simply put: keeping my hair clean and mositurized and cutting back on trims!

To reach my hair care goal, I first wanted to educate myself on my hair type. I read a book by Cathy Howse and learned how to take care of my hair. It all made sense and I began the regimen. All I can say is that it works. Plus there is a lot of helpful information, tips, advice and suggestions here on this board. Educate yourself - learn about your hair.

Re: to those who are reaching their hair length go

Washing my hair more often. I stopped wearing pony tails almost every day of the week. I stopped wrapping my hair every night. I started using two conditioners. A deep conditioner, another conditioner for five minutes and leave in conditioner. I use castor oil around my hair line to stop the thinning process. Vitamins are great for strengthening your hair. I reached my first goal which was healthy hair. My second goal is shoulder length hair. Like Lisa Raye's hair on All of Us.

I stopped switching products every time a "new thing" came out and stopped letting stylists chop of my length each month and being a regular client=$$$.
I started doing intensive conditioning, trimmings and styling and treating my hair at home, if I need a formal elaborate updo then I'll go to a stylist.
My theory is you have to take responsibility for your hair don't pass the buck and expect the hair you want.
smile.gif

hth

After I started to stay away from any stylist who would give me a hair CUT instead of a trim, I noticed an instant gain in hair length. I can't believe how much hair some of my previous stylists were cutting off ! Now that I think back on it , it makes me want to sue for "emotional damages" inflicted by criminals armed and dangerous with a pair of scissors
laugh.gif
Just kidding, but people are suing for all kinds of things these days, so it's not out of the question.

1. trim and relax once every 6 months
2. started doing my hair myself
3. protective styles
4. keeping the ends moisturized
5. sleeping in a satin bonnet

I started using oil insead of oil moisturizing lotions(very drying for the hair), I started taking care of my ends and wearing protective styles all the time. I started washing my hair every 3 days instead of every week, I started massaging my scalp, and taking the appropriate vitamins(I was already taking a multi vit)
Zanna

relaxing every 10 to 12 weeks instead of 6
wearing protective styles
taking vitamins
keeping hair moisturized especially ends

1. Taking Vitamins
2. Conditioner Washes 2-5 times a week
3. Protien Treatments
4. Learning what products are best for my hair
5. Finding this Board!
smile.gif

1. Washing my hair more often
2. Wearing protective styles
3. Using a satin cap at night
4. Conditioning my hair more often
5. Using protein treatments
6. Finding good products and sticking with them
7. Finding a good oil
8. Sticking with what works for me.

1. Protective styles(wigs, cornrows, individual braids etc.)
2. sleeping in a satin cap at night
3. moisturizing hair and ends
4. self styling

1. Staying away from hairdressers
2. Moisturising on a daily basis
3. Consumption of vitamins and minerals
4. Wearing no-contact styles i.e Braids
5. Cleaning my hair on a regular basis
6. Trimming split ends
7. Gentle combing with a wide tooth comb.
8. Reducing styling manipulation.
9. Wrapping my hair with a satin cap at night
10. Using non-drying shampoos
11. Deep conditioning
12. Applying protein reconstructors
13. Eliminating direct heat

1. Going natural...no chemicals at all(even hair dyes)..hair seems to hate it all
2. Wearing braids, interlocks, weaves, etc...keeping hair protected
3. Finding out about scurl (THANKS Adrienne). My mom used it on and off for years but I never paid it any mind...till I saw Adrienne's hair...
laugh.gif

4. Learning to trim myself..1-2x a year.

Going back to Point #1. My hair would actually be about waist length now if I hadn't foolishly tried to texturize my ends...don't ask
smirk.gif
I have gradually been trimming that mistake out...1 more inch to go.

Hi Shygurl,
I'm still evening out my hair from last years (last) hairdresser nightmare.
This is what has help me:
1. Wash my hair daily...or every other day sometimes
2. Trim my ends every 8 weeks
3. NO chemicals at all...keeping it natural keeps it stronger.
4. Keep my hair moist at ALL times, especially the ends
5. Use a reconstructor when I feel my hair needs it.
6. Hot oil treatments...weekly...Olive Oil, Olive Oil, Olive Oil...extra virgin.
7. ...and most of all AVOID ALL HAIRDRESSERS, I do my own hair
smile.gif

I'm just starting to see real progress because I've been doing a lot of heavy trimming in the past, but at least my hair is even and I know the end result.
I hope this helps.
wink.gif

Back