To cowash & air dry or not, that is the question...

Do you co-wash and air dry?

• I co-wash AND air dry

Votes: 322 79.3%
  • I co-wash but I don't air dry

Votes: 32 7.9%
  • I don't co-wash but I air-dry

Votes: 37 9.1%
  • I don't co-wash or air-dry

Votes: 15 3.7%

• Total voters

vivEz daNs lamouR

I've been going back and forth through multiple search posts trying to figure out whether I need to tweak my regimen or not. I keep hearing about cowashes, I've done it once but that was only because I previously had air dried and that turned out DISASTROUS!

If you do cowash, how do you manage to do it daily and still maintain some sort of a style without using direct heat? Every time that I've tried to air dry my hair after washing it comes out so brittle and dry and the middle of my head is always tangly. It just doesn't seem to work for me.

What do you do?

I've been going back and forth through multiple search posts trying to figure out whether I need to tweak my regimen or not. I keep hearing about cowashes, I've done it once but that was only because I previously had air dried and that turned out DISASTROUS!

If you do cowash, how do you manage to do it daily and still maintain some sort of a style without using direct heat? Every time that I've tried to air dry my hair after washing it comes out so brittle and dry and the middle of my head is always tangly. It just doesn't seem to work for me.

What do you do?

i thought i was the only one who got dry hair after aidrying. once i co washed(which doesnt do nada for me) then I airdryed. My hair was SOOOOOOOOO dry afterwards. And I started to have breakage. :(

I thinK I am going to start usign my hooded dryer. because airdrying just to get dryness and breakage is counterproductive.

I co-wash everyday in the morning, scrunch in a leave in and gel, and either airdry or diffuse on cool.

I cowash my hair and air dry almost daily. Once I started parting my hair down the middle and doing it in sections, it helped decrease my tangling. Here's what I do:

Prepoo b4 w/jojoba, shikakai, or Vatika oil.
B4 getting in shower, split my hair in two sections & clip.
Take one section down @ a time, wet hair and apply cond then re-clip.
Perform shower duties
Take down 1 section @ a time and rinse thoroughly and detangle w/shower comb. Once detangled, re-clip.
Get out of shower, brush thoroughly w/Denman then apply moisturizer and seal w/lots of coconut oil.
I'll then either do 2 low braids (If I'm at home) or put in one low pony, braid the length and pin.
Tie down w/scarf.

This makes my hair stay moisturized, my waves pop, tames the edges and nape and my hair dries in about two days w/o tangles.

BTW, what conditioners are you using? This may make a huge difference in your results.

I co wash daily

Right when I get in the shower, I rinse my hair with water and then slather on conditioner (any Suave Naturals conditioner) I take my shower and then I rinse out the conditioner

When I get out, I put on some leave-in (Garnier Fructis Color Shield Leave-In Cream) then I put my hair back in a wet bun and repeat the next day.

The combo of Suave conditioners and the Garnier leave in makes my hair so soft and shiny. But if I want any extra shine, I'll put some Silk Drops on my hair after the leave in. BLING BLING! :lol:

My hair loooves co washing :yep:

I co wash everyday. I get in the shower with my bone comb put the conditioner in (I add oils to my conditioner) then detangle. then rinse out really well. When i get out the shower I put some oils in the center, emu oil, jojoba, or avacodo oil, because for some reason my hair starting breaking in the middle --it has since stopped --rub it in grab up all my hair add some leave in spray and then some oils to the end, and put it in a bun or pony tail and go thats it. no tangles, no mess, no nothing. My hair gets pretty straight sometimes I add a bandana to make the edges lay down and then thats it. As my hair has gotten longer I find I don't need to add anything else to it. it lays pretty well. Its use to air drying and doesn't give me any problems, but if I get out and do nothing to my hair just let it dry thats a problem.

When I air dried my hair it ALWAYS comes out tangly no matter how much product I put in there. The best way for me to take care of my hair is to do rollersets, its the best and really the only way that my hair stays healthy.

I just started co-washing every other day and the first couple of times were trial and era. Today though i was searching some post on silicon mix, so I decided to D/C without heat for 2 hours while watching a movie, then I rinced and conditioned with suave humectant and aveda DR after oil rinsing with aphogee EFA oil. When I was done I applied my fermodyl and then my joico splint end mender followed by giovanni leave in spray and cream and then I put a little bit of silicon mix in and some QP mango butter on my edges, brushed it back pinned into a ponytail and covered with a scarf to lay down my edges. After an hour I removed the scarf and my edges were straight, so then I let it cont. to dry untill it was about 80 percent and then I applied some more mango butter to my ends. When I got ready to dry roller-set my hair before bed my hair was finished drying and was soft and conditioned for the first time after air drying:grin:

I co wash daily

Right when I get in the shower, I rinse my hair with water and then slather on conditioner (any Suave Naturals conditioner) I take my shower and then I rinse out the conditioner

When I get out, I put on some leave-in (Garnier Fructis Color Shield Leave-In Cream) then I put my hair back in a wet bun and repeat the next day.

The combo of Suave conditioners and the Garnier leave in makes my hair so soft and shiny. But if I want any extra shine, I'll put some Silk Drops on my hair after the leave in. BLING BLING! :lol:

I use the same techinque.

I just started cowashing about 2 weeks ago, and so far I like it. After I cowash, I'll then oil rinse and my hair feels and looks great. Lately I've been slicking it back into a ponytail and twisting some sections (i'm natural) and the hair feels soft and is very manageable

I co wash daily

I CW the exact same way. My hair still has that sort of "airdried" look but all I care about is that it's healthy.

I don't do this very much anymore. HOWEVER, if my hair was shorter or I was relaxed I would definitely still be doing this. When I had a twa and wore my hair out all the time I co washed three times a week. My hair was incredibly soft and moisturised. I don't do this as much anymore because I no longer were my hair in wash n' gos...it's gotten to long and would only tangle...and to tell you the truth...I very seldom use conditioner or shampoo (shikaiki bars) in my hair anymore. I just rinse really throughly.

If you airdry u should airdry in rollers IMO. Airdrying is better than using heat, but airdrying in rollers is better than both. When you use rollers ur hair dries flat and smooth and it protects your hair from getting split ends. Maybe that's b/c u are protecting the hair cuticle by allowing them to lie down flat?

When I did my first 14 week stretch - stictly air drying and bunning - I got the shock of my life when it was time for my touch-up - I had severe breakage in crown portion of hair - lack of moisture I guess - I faithfully wash and DC each week.

I tried air drying again this past weekend - it's not for me - unless I'm using the wrong products. My hair feels like a brillo pad in the center.

I have not tried co-washing.

I pre-poo, wash, DC

add - leave-in (KeraCare) - put in pony and bun

Day 2- my hair still wet but the center (crown) is very dry and is not getting enough moisture or something. I add KeraCare cream hair dress and coconut oil - still dull and no shine.

Day 2 - still dull and lifeless

Days 3-5 - same

I've also tried ORS hair lotion - still does nothing for me

Any suggestions?

I co wash daily

And manipulating your hair while it's wet doesn't result in breakage? Cool!

I didn't vote because I alternate. Today I just co-washed and braided my hair in two corn rows. But lately, I have been co-washing twice a week and rollersetting. My hair loves the hood dryer method. But I do wanna refrain from heat, cuz i end up blowing out my roots and edges.

Just began Co Washing and I like it. Specially after I switched conditioners.
But--I airdry and braid my hair afterwards.

I haven't experienced problems

I didn't start co-washing until I started to transition. I would wash my hair on Saturday, rollerset, and the cowash on Wed and do either bantu knots, twistouts, or braidouts which I would let airdry. I would make sure to put in leave in moisturizer and seal with coconut oil.

My hair was always very dry after air drying. No matter what I put in it or how I style it. When I co-wash now, I don't completely wash out all of the conditioner and I add oil to my hair. My hair only retains moiture when I co-wash AND do a braid out.

I have been cowashing almost everyday and here is my routine:

When I get in the shower, I wet my hair and then slather HE LTR on my hair and cover with a shower cap. I do my normal shower routine and then I wash my hair out.

Next, I put GD leave in my hair, followed by GD frizz serum then Elasta QP mango butter and I seal with castor oil.

Afterwards, I comb my hair with a shower comb to detangle and then I use my denman brush to smooth the hair into place. I pin up my hair and wrap my hair with a scarf.

My hair is usually straight and lays flat.

BTW my hair is relaxed

I co-washed and air dried my hair for the first time a couple nights ago. The results were so so but definately not horrible (especially since I've been rocking my "mini bun" :drunk:). I think things may have turned out a bit better if I had braided my hair instead of wrapping it. All in all, I can't complain too much about my experience- The relaxed hair was soft and straightened nicely and most of my new growth was well moisturized (on the crown of my head was a little coarse).

I have been cowashing almost everyday and here is my routine:

When I get in the shower, I wet my hair and then slather HE LTR on my hair and cover with a shower cap. I do my normal shower routine and then I wash my hair out.

Next, I put GD leave in my hair, followed by GD frizz serum then Elasta QP mango butter and I seal with castor oil.

Afterwards, I comb my hair with a shower comb to detangle and then I use my denman brush to smooth the hair into place. I pin up my hair and wrap my hair with a scarf.

My hair is usually straight and lays flat.

BTW my hair is relaxed

Your routine is very similar to mine. I think the key with co/washing and airdrying is to make sure the hair dries as flat/straight as possible. Instead of letting it hang all out(which some might be able to do with no problems). I find that tying it up with a satin scarf ensures that my hair will be smooth after its dry and once it is dry, it isn't frizzy and dried out looking/feeling. Doing this reduces the amount of dryness/frizziness/breaking that might would occur if the hair/cuticle had not been flat while drying. When I dried my hair hanging down, the ends weren't straight and it was frizzy and was more prone to splits.

HTH:yep:

I co wash every other day and I airdry

after I'm done washing I rub in some profectiv mega growth moisturizer, and garnier L&S leave in....I pull it back in a pony or a puff and then I use garnier anti frizz shine serum or garnier brilliante shine then I use a scarf to tie it down while I get dressed.

by the time I'm done dressing my edges are flat and my waves are rocking.....no tangles no dryness

If I cowash at night then I section my hair in 8 and I braid it up to go sleep. In the morning I wear a braid out puff

I co-wash almost daily at night with Aubrey Organics BGA Cream Rinse in the shower. After rinsing the conditioner out, I then put extra virgin avocado oil (1/2- 1tsp) on my hair while it's still wet. I then wrap a towel turban-style around my head. I do my regular after shower routine.

Then I use AO Egyptian Henna Clean Rinse as a leave-in/detangler/setting lotion. I dilute 1/4 of the rinse with 3/4 cup distilled water in a spray bottle. I warm it up for about 30 seconds in the microwave. I then spray/detangle as I set my hair on large sponge rollers. The sponge rollers are completely covered with plastic wrap so my hair is never exposed to the spongy surface. I leave the curlered hair uncovered until bed time and then I cover with a satin scarf and sleep on them. My hair is soft and shiny in the morning.

I usually wear my hair curly, but if I want to loosen the curl, I just spray the hair with a little bit of water. I rarely wear my hair completely straight, so the daily curler sets work for me.

Back