To cowash & air dry or not, that is the question...

Do you co-wash and air dry?

• I co-wash AND air dry

Votes: 322 79.3%
  • I co-wash but I don't air dry

Votes: 32 7.9%
  • I don't co-wash but I air-dry

Votes: 37 9.1%
  • I don't co-wash or air-dry

Votes: 15 3.7%

• Total voters
You know someone should explain what a co-wash is. I thought I co-washed one day but it was not. Please explain and what the benefits are. I do believe that co-washing is an infusion of moisterizer.

When I co-wash, airdrying is usually fine. I find the leave in conditioner I use makes a difference. I get great definition with hair mayo or DCs as leave ins.

I co-wash and airdry...But I don't do it daily..In the summer maybe I would co-wash up to 3 times a week ..But now I am co-washing 1 to 2 times a week...

I just started cowashing regularly because I work out ~5 days a week and my hair is fine so it gets kind of limp and lame if i just try to keep it flatironed for a whole week.

I cowash and detanglein the shower, and wrap my head in a microfiber towel while i apply lotion etc. Then i take a little redken butter treat and rub it into all of my hair, particularly the ends. Butter treat has saved my life. My ends never end up dry/frizzy when i use this. I then pin my hair up into a "southern tease" bun and go to class or whatever i need to do. So basically, my hair is wetfor a long time. When i get home, i may blow dry it a little bit (so i dont sleep with wet hair) or bantu knot up my damp hair, or if i have time, wait for it to airdry and then use carusos and pincurl. None of these methods leave my hair any drier than normal afterward.

When i votd originally i didnt airdry. However since joinin mt challenge i am now co washn and airdry evryday. I had tried airdryin a long time ago and i didnt like it. But now i love it, i moisturise thoroughly (giovanni direct) and put my hair into pigtails and go to bed!

You know someone should explain what a co-wash is. I thought I co-washed one day but it was not. Please explain and what the benefits are. I do believe that co-washing is an infusion of moisterizer.

I would like to have a clearer understanding of co-washing what it is and how to properly do it. Anyone care to explain?

I blow dry on a low setting after I co-wash. If I don't my hair would be dry and crunchy and I'm not having that.

i thought i was the only one who got dry hair after aidrying. once i co washed(which doesnt do nada for me) then I airdryed. My hair was SOOOOOOOOO dry afterwards. And I started to have breakage. :(

I thinK I am going to start usign my hooded dryer. because airdrying just to get dryness and breakage is counterproductive.
That's why I stopped airdrying so much. If I do, I'm either rollersetting or wrapping it.

I am transitioning and I co-wash and air dry. I always pull my hair back in a bun and airdry. Like many of you, the inner area of my bun would be soooo dry once all my hair got dry.

I think I may have made a breakthrough past Saturday when I co-washed. So much so that I did it again tonight just to see.

Co-washing and combing through air dried hair is an absolute NO NO:nono: for me (and for most other people too). Saturday I co-washed, used Giovanni Direct Leave In, Garnier Fructis Leave In and Coconut Oil to seal. I pulled my hair up in a ponytail and twisted the ponytail and pinned it up for it to air dry. Normally I will wear my hair like this for 3 or 4 days and each day I will take the bun down, drizzle my scalp with coconut oil, use my denman brush (up to the point where the ponytail holder is supposed to go because you couldn't get through the rest of it), moisturize my hair with NTM and seal with the coconut oil.

I noticed the next day after co-washing, I had taken the ponytail holder off, applied the coconut oil to my scalp and started to use the denman brush to brush it through (so the oil could penetrate the scalp). To my surprise, the brush kept going!!! Then I took my Jilbere comb to see if this was real. My Jilbere comb went right through all my hair without a tangle in site and my entire head was really moisturized and not dry at all.

I attribute it to the Giovanni direct, It has so many types of moisturizing oils in it that that has to be the secret to my hair being so moisturized and me being able to comb through it. I just finished co-washing again and I followed the same routine so I am going to see what happens in a day or two.....I guess it also comes from regular Deep Conditioning as well. I had slacked off on DC'ing and I noticed when I started back, my hair became more manageable when air drying.

Sorry so long, but I was soooooooo excited!

P.S. You may not want to try this at home:grin: (combing through air dried hair). If you do, please do so at your own risk.

Last edited:
In the warm weather co-washing and air drying is almost all I do because hair dries fast. In winter, I'm mostly twisting and curling at night and drying in my sleep. It lasts for 2-4 days.

Co-washing is washing your hair with conditioner. Shampoos strip the hair of its natural oils so many of the ladies 'wash' using conditioner (it's extremely moisturizing and many have a couple of cleansing properties in them as well--2 for 1- clean hair and moisturized hair).

I cowash and airdry in fact I have not used heat to dry for months even when four months post. I add a leave in and then and put my hair in a bun, tie on a satin scarf and my hair dries really well. I think it depends on the conditioner and the products your using.

I will co-wash only in the summer, because my hair hold moisture better in the warm weather, I still use a Conditioning Shampoo followed by a Good Moisturizing Conditioner and my hair is soft, You also have to use the right Conditioner, a cheapie with honey added will work wonders!

Still co-washing 4-5 days a week and loving it! I pre-poo sometimes, jump n the shower use whatever cond i'm feeling that day due my buisness and then rinse my hair while detangling under the water with my jilbre(sp?) shower comb. I then will put in my spray cond and cream cond and then pin up my hair and put on a scarf and go to sleep.

i co wash daily, gently squeeze out excess water, apply v05 conditioner, then pantene relaxed and natural oil cream moisturizer. Then i comb in all through. Style hair and go. If your hair is really dry maybe you need to leave more oils in?

I co-wash and air dry. I use the silk scarf method. I also have to briad or twist my hair into a bun to dry. If I let my hair dry loose, it will come out dry. If it dries in large braids, it comes out smooth and silky.

I co-wash every 4 days with LTR, deep condish, apply leave ins then smooth my hair into a pontyail and lay a scarf down to get the edges straight. I either braid the back in two braids, or put a few rollers in the back so that the hair is straightish but still smooth the front with a scarf since I wear a bun everyday it don't matter how straight the hair is...

I pre-poo, then put on my condish., let it sit for 2hrs., rinse, put in my leave in, and seal with oil. I do this daily after work if the weather is warm.

Pin up my hair, let it air dry, then put on my scarf and go to bed. No dryness or tangles.

I co-wash daily and air dry but I know this doesn't help you because I'm currently protective styling and I don't style my hair, sorry. Try a bun or pony tail and tie it down with a scarf or a roller set.

I cowash and airdry maybe once, sometimes twice a week but I deep conditioner twice a week as well and I airdry about 98% of the time. I protective style my hair by wearing full and half wigs or pull back in a bun, voila!

I don't co-wash really. But I do airdry. I've never airdried with free hair. Maybe that's why I don't get tangles? I put my hair in to pig tails and airdry that way. Then when it's mostly dry I put it in one ponytail and I put a curler and the end. When dry I have straight hair with curled ends. HTH

Ok what i do now is add all of my desired products, the wrap a towel carefully around then twist it up. I leave it for about 10 minutes then shake off the towel and blot my hair. I used to think this would take away the affect of my products, but my hair has been looking extra fly lately since I've been doing this...(not to ention i haven't been getting sick as muc from wet hair.) HTH:grin:

Back