Shampoo + Condition + Air-Dry= THEN what??

Do you air-dry your hair?

• YES! I air-dry ALL the time after every shampoo/wash.

Votes: 196 54.9%
  • NO. I've never air-dried my hair.

Votes: 15 4.2%
  • Sometimes, but not very often.

Votes: 62 17.4%
  • Yes, I air-dry most of the time, but I alternate between rollersets & Air-drying.

Votes: 84 23.5%

• Total voters
Crystalicequeen123 said:
Ladies, I would like your input on what you "air-dryers" do AFTER you air-dry your hair. I'm asking because even though I love stretching my relaxers, and washing and airdrying my hair, I find that if I twist my hair in two-strand twists after airdrying, it only makes my hair tangled and feeling hard in the morning. :(

I like the thickness that I get with air-drying, but I also don't like how my hair looks really unkept and tangled after a night of air-drying. At 7 weeks post relaxer, even getting a comb through my air-dried hair is a chore. :nono: I have to go to work 3x a week , and I have classes 2x a week, not to mention meeting at my place of worship throughout the week, and I DO want to look at least SOMEwhat decent. I like the straight look, but I hate doing rollersets because I think they thin my already fine type 4a/b hair, and it takes so freakin' long! Plus, I'm trying to do a no-heat/low-heat challenge and ease up on all the rollersets I've been getting lately.

Any suggestions?? What do you ladies do after you air-dry?

I airdry via the ponytail roller method, then I usually wear a bun or a phony pony.
When airdrying its important to use some kinda moisturizer or oil else your hair will be hella dry, learned from experience! :lol:

well my hair WAs very pourous.

after i have used a leave in conditioner, i add my oil moisturizor...

then i put in a pony tail and add a baggie over the pony.

(this has taught my hair to be non pourous and so hungry for moisture).

then i remove in the morning, and it dries off during the day.

my is so non pourous that when i'm ready to wash my hair it doesn't get wet for about 5minutes!!! very strange, but hey!

The only way that I could airdry and possibly let it out is, after a rollerset.

Any other methods of airdrying are done usually by bunning wet hair.

Sweet_Ambrosia said:
I airdry via the ponytail roller method, then I usually wear a bun or a phony pony.
When airdrying its important to use some kinda moisturizer or oil else your hair will be hella dry, learned from experience! :lol:

Hmm...could you please elaborate? I'm kind of interested in this "air-dry via the ponytail roller" method. :)

Arcadian said:
shampoo+condition+ leave-ins+airdry in a satin or velvet scrunchie.

I hate using heat and I'm roller-challenged. (sometimes I think that has to something to do with being left handed)

Then in the afternoon I give myself a nice 10-15 minute head massage. This is a good reason to have your own office with a door:lol: Though I've had people come in while I was doing it and give me this :eek: look.

I give myself another in the evening after working out or before I put my hair to bed for the night.

-A

Whaddup lefty? I just ordered a lefty spiral notebook today :grin: It must be a left-handed thing unfortunately. I tried to roller set and I looked like a mess.

Yes I airdry all the time. :) I conditioner wash every night. My conditioner is a mix of VO5 Strawberries and Cream w/ Sebastion's Lamenites-The Rinse. This has been the best mix ever. :woot:

My key to airdrying is product overload. Whatever leave in I use, I have to slather it on like a conditioner. If not, I end up with crispy dry hair. I always airdry in a bun. I never end up with hair that looks like it's been flatironed or anything, but all I wear is buns anyway.

When I air dry my hair smooth my hair to the back into a pony tail then put a baggie over the ponytail but when I take the baggie off...what can I do to my ends to make it straight with using heat......because I am never using heat again....ever....not to dry my hair atleast....I use my maxiglide sometimes...but not often.....so what should I do to get my ends straight?

TIA

Is sitting under a cool hooded hair dryer the same thing as "air-drying"?

I think I'm going to try this and see if this helps minimize the heat on my hair. Not sure how a cool dryer will make my hair feel though. I don't think my hair will dry as fast, but maybe it could work.

Anyone with experience in cool hair dryers?

Here's my air-dry routine. Also, I wash my hair in the shower, so when I step out, it's fairly straightened, so there's no need to comb.

I use the following products:

a.) Once towel-dried, I use Pantene Wrap Lotion, followed by John Freida's Extra Strength Serum or NTM Serum (or Biolage) (OK -- yes, I have all 3 and I'm a PJ)

b.) I part my hair into 4 sections and coat with Pantene's Oil Moisturizer (I really like this product.)

c.) I use Goody ponytail holders (they are small, colorful, stretchy ponytail holders for children -- 30 holders for .99 cents, I think) -- (4) ponytails...

d.) twist or braid, 3/4 of the way down, leave 2 inches or so unbraided and coat with serum, and place another ponytail holder to keep it braided/twisted.

e.) tie up with a scarf and let it completely air-dry.

Except for when I'm in need of a retouch, I don't lose alot of hair and I have no tangles -- the pantene setting/wrap spray and the serum seems to straighten pretty well.

~AT

Crystalicequeen123 said:
Is sitting under a cool hooded hair dryer the same thing as "air-drying"?

I think I'm going to try this and see if this helps minimize the heat on my hair. Not sure how a cool dryer will make my hair feel though. I don't think my hair will dry as fast, but maybe it could work.

Anyone with experience in cool hair dryers?
My ION dryer with a cool setting is airdrying to me. It's like a fan blowing cool air on my hair. It takes about 3 hours for my hair to dry this way but that's faster than 12 + hours. I usually airdry overnight in a rollerset and use my dryer for emergencies.

Isis said:
My ION dryer with a cool setting is airdrying to me. It's like a fan blowing cool air on my hair. It takes about 3 hours for my hair to dry this way but that's faster than 12 + hours. I usually airdry overnight in a rollerset and use my dryer for emergencies.

Your hair is so long and thick, my hair is much shorter and I tried airdrying a rollerset the other day the ends were still wet and damp in the morning. How do you get yours to dry overnight with the amount of hair you have???

I air dry my hair overnight in a wrap. I use a good leave-in after washing & conditioning and wrap my hair while it wet (I don't towel dry too much). I then tie a satin scarf over my head to keep it all in place and hit the sack. When I wake up, my hair is dry and tangle-free. I add some moisture to my hair where needed. Then, I either I baggie and phony-pony my hair for a style, or roller set my hair with a few satin sponge rollers in the morning and do a French twist up-do. HTH :)

Sometimes when I air-dry, I put my hair in a ponytail, then I curl the ponytail with small perm rods. Then, when the part in the perm rods is dry, I take my hair out of the ponytail, finger comb, and clip up. I think it gives a nice curly effect, and it takes hardly anytime to do. Annnd the curls stay for a few days.

airdrying in a rollerset (with my soft satin-like jumbo rollers) is the best thing to happen to me!

I've done it twice this week and my hair comes out pretty straight and silky (I'm 9 weeks post relaxer).

If I would have known about this, I could have saved myself some breakage and damage a few weeks ago when things got rough. :ohwell:

i air dry when i plan to bun or baggie. that is usually at the end of the week. my saturday night wash means that i am going to roller set to be clean for church. my roller set usually lasts a few days... when i air dry, it is curly because i am texlaxed.

I have not mastered airdrying my texlaxed hair yet! I am glad this thread is hot so I can get some tips too...... I would be a heck of alot better if I can eliminate that dang blowdryer!! Luckily, I hardly get any breakage though.

My hair is natural. When the weather is warmer, I simply allow my hair to airdry and then separate the curls and maybe blowdry the roots to combat shrinkage. Now that it's colder, I've started using a diffuser to aid the drying process for those times when I have to go outside right away.

I always air dry. I make sure my hair is styled the way I want when it's wet and then I dry. I lightly oil and fingr comb the next day.

I air dry all the time now. It took me a while to get it down, but it works great for my no heat routine. After my wash and cond (I rinse in the shower), I apply detangler, then NTM leave in. I comb my hair back and put into a ponytail (of course I squeeze the excess moisture). I apply a little moisture to the ends and roll it with 1 magnetic roller (it keeps the ends smooth)...then I let it dry, apply ORS olive oil moisture lotion to my hair, profective to my ends, then baggie and bun (or half wig-it). PM me if you have any questions!

I airdried last night and I liked the results. I would suggest that you get a conditioner that works well with your hair. Last night, I used Freeman Pure Color Fresh Curl Conditioner and I really liked it as it smoothed my hair really well (even the edges). I clarified then conditioned then rinsed.

I used a little of the conditioner as a leave in then sealed with oil. I used slightly more oil than if I would have rollerset or blowdried. The extra oil helps to keep it soft when drying. I put in ponytail and slept on satin pillowcase. In the morning, I added extra Mango butter and then put in pony. If I had time, I would have put it up in a french roll. It helps when you have cute hair clips or accessories to dress up the roll.

I think Isis has some cute clips in her album for when she puts her hair in a french roll. It makes it look nice. :look:

I airdry using giovanni direct and coconut oil. I part my hair indian style and airdry in two ponytails with the ends gently plaited in two strand twists and rolled up using satin spone rollers. Scarf and go to bed. In the morning when I take off the scarf my hair light and shiny, not weighed down or frizzy. I undo the sponge rollers and while the ends might be slighlty damp, it's slightly wavy from the twists but not curled from the roller due to the dampness. The roller mostly allows the length to dry without frizz. If I leave it on until completely dry then it will curl. I then either secure the ponytail ends criss cross to finish drying or take the whole thing down. It dries beautifully. If I want it bone straight then I just wrap it the next night after adding a bit more coconut oil. If I'm just bunning or putting it up then I will use something heavier like coconut oil followed by shea butter. The result is always shiny and straight. Maybe not bone straight all the time but straight enough for me. I'm glad to say, if it's one thing I've managed to make a must do staple in my quest for better hair care, it's airdrying!!
editing to add I forgot to mention that I don't even use a towel to dry. I just step out of the shower after rinsing it tangle free and squeeze out the excess water. Then I add my gio and oil and lean backwards over the tub and squeeze out more water. After another squeeze or two I style it and scarf it. No towels.

Last edited:
I air-dry all the time. I load my hair with Salerm21 leave in and i seal it with WGO. Pull it back into a ponytail for about a day and a half. Then i will flatiron it

I also always airdry. After blotting my hair dry w/a microfiber towel, I apply my leave-ins and oil, and allow my hair to dry in 2 braids. Rusk Smoother and WGO are my airdrying staples. The next day, I'll put on heat protectant and flat iron my roots.

I air dry my hair with Dudley's PCA & EGo Boost from a dripping wet state. When hair is 75% dry, I seal with Kera Care Essential Oils. When 100% dry, I then follow up with Elasta QP Mango Butter on my ends. I apply the Mango Butter on my ends twice a day for the next 6 days.

During the week I wear loose protective styles with sitcks and I curl my hair with Caruso Rollers or get my 3 min spiral curls with the microwavable steam cap.

Both curling alternatives are damage free. I know that air drying does not work for all but It has done well for me. I enjoy the body and fullness that air dried hair creates.

tijay said:
I air dry all the time now. It took me a while to get it down, but it works great for my no heat routine. After my wash and cond (I rinse in the shower), I apply detangler, then NTM leave in. I comb my hair back and put into a ponytail (of course I squeeze the excess moisture). I apply a little moisture to the ends and roll it with 1 magnetic roller (it keeps the ends smooth)...then I let it dry, apply ORS olive oil moisture lotion to my hair, profective to my ends, then baggie and bun (or half wig-it). PM me if you have any questions!

I do almost the exact same thing Wash and Co, apply NTM leave in, put hair in ponytail with a scrunchie, put ORS Olive Oil on my ends and Bun. OR airdry at home with my hair down so that my hair will dry faster. I usually do that when I want to flat iron my hair.

i usually airdry in a rollerset. i apply some silk elements cream, some castor oil, and some serum. then i begin to rollerset. but I wont be rollersetting once I reach shoulder length. ill airdry and then use my steam rollers.

Back