"The White Girl Hair Toss" ?

Honey01

\"The White Girl Hair Toss\" ?

Hey guys,
First, let me start by saying it is not my intention to offend anyone. I used this particular subject thread because I was just trying to relate my experience.

A little background: My hair is approaching shoulder length which has changed some of my habits. For instance when putting on my coat, shoulder bag,hugging my boyfriend,or just when my hair is plain ol' in my way, I tend to "toss" or gather my hair out the way. I've noticed that I tend to get "looks" from [some] Black women that seem to imply, "umph, she think's she's White". I know I don't do it in excess or unecessarily so(o.k. maybe by myself at home in the mirror ). Have any of you felt this? Maybe, I'm paranoid, but it's like I almost feel guilty. Do any of you guys have similar experiences?

Re: \"The White Girl Hair Toss\" ?

When you have long hair I think it's a natural reaction to have to shake and move your head to get the hair out of the way, especially if you are putting on your coat or something like that. I wouldn't think anything of it as long as you're not just purposely flipping your hair in peoples faces for the heck of it. If that's the case you may need help. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

haha! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif i'm sorry to laugh, but i can definitely relate! when my hair was really long (bra strap length) i used to get so irritated with my hair getting in the way! some people said i was uppity when my hair was longer cuz i hated when people would tug it all the time! like when guys would tug it and say,"Ok man you win the bet, it's real" i hated that. /images/graemlins/swearing.gif so don't even stress about folks lookin' cuz somebodies always gonna hate. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

LMAO

I was just talking about this white woman doing that yesterday. It wasn't that she tossed her hair it's that she did it every five mins.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the people are thinking, I know I would always move my hair out of my face and tuck it behind my ear, and people would look at me funny.

It is so funny you said that because yesterday on the train I had tucked my hair into my jacket and this girl frowned at me.

I used to think these manerisms were cultural but now that my hair is longer I realize it's more of a circumstantial manerism. Now, within reason of course! I'm not throwing my neck around like a wet noodle or anything, but just to move your hair out of your face or from out of your collar, I don't see anything wrong with it. But if you are whipping your hair around like Cher, then I say, you probably look crazy /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Exactly. I definitely don't do it "just cuz". Even (I hope) when my hair is long enough, I will not have the audacity to actually flip it in someone's face (I hate this).
I also tuck my hair into my collar on public transportation so that when standing passenges are holding the rail behind my head, they won't grab a fistful of my hair. It's happened before.

I do the toss all the time. Nothing like Cher /images/graemlins/grin.gif, but something to push my hair away from my shoulders, so that my purse or backpack doesn't snag it. If you have hair that is shoulder length and beyond, you may find yourself doing it unconciously. I can see myself now when I reach bra-strap. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yup!! And I like it!!!!! Makes me feel good every once in awhile.

I know exactly what you ar talking about, it becomes second nature to you when it gets longer. I had hair approaching BS length and if I didn't "toss" my hair, it would get in the way of me eating, or putting my purse on, my coat , reading, or anything else that may proove 'detrimental' to my hair. And don't feel guilty when other women stare. I really didn't pay them any mind.

hada

sometimes i toss it out of necessity. sometimes i toss it just cuz i can. i don't do it every five minutes, but if i did... darn it i earned the right! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BUT long, healthy hair attracts attention whether you're tossing it or not. that's for sure! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Karonica said:
I do the toss all the time. Nothing like Cher /images/graemlins/grin.gif, [/quote

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHA *singing* "If I could turnnnn back ti-immmeeee..*Cher hair toss*

adrienne0914 said:
sometimes i toss it just cuz i can. i don't do it every five minutes, but if i did... darn it i earned the right! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I can just picture you ladies walking down the street with all this long hair swing and shaking it from side to side. If you've got it, why not flaunt it. Go head. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

New name.....The Long Hair Care Forum Head Swingers.... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm with you in 2 years.

i don't do it every five minutes, but if i did... darn it i earned the right! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes girl, you surely have! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sein as i aint in this situation yet i DO kno that wen i got my waiste mid-back micros i cant help but flick my hair coz its so satisfyin /images/graemlins/grin.gif so i totally'd understand it if u'd be flickin yo hair jus coz u can /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne0914 said:
sometimes i toss it out of necessity. sometimes i toss it just cuz i can. i don't do it every five minutes, but if i did... darn it i earned the right! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BUT long, healthy hair attracts attention whether you're tossing it or not. that's for sure! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">/images/graemlins/clap.gif I agree with all of that and I think that, in general, eye-rolling and teeth sucking and "you actin like a white girl" comments and whatnots are a function of other's envy or insecurity.

I mean, sometimes I tuck my hair behind my ear to get it out of my face and sometimes I do it because I do think I'm cute! And, who cares?!! Shoooo, if I don't think I'm cute then who will!! But, I truly can't be worried about folks who think that I think I'm too cute.

I say DO YOU. And if that means you swing your hair two or twenty times a day then so what. /images/graemlins/moon.gif /images/graemlins/Rose.gif </font>

((( shrug ))) When long, hair will toss. They'll just have to deal with it. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Honey01 said:
Hey guys,
First, let me start by saying it is not my intention to offend anyone. I used this particular subject thread because I was just trying to relate my experience.

A little background: My hair is approaching shoulder length which has changed some of my habits. For instance when putting on my coat, shoulder bag,hugging my boyfriend,or just when my hair is plain ol' in my way, I tend to "toss" or gather my hair out the way. I've noticed that I tend to get "looks" from [some] Black women that seem to imply, "umph, she think's she's White". I know I don't do it in excess or unecessarily so(o.k. maybe by myself at home in the mirror ). Have any of you felt this? Maybe, I'm paranoid, but it's like I almost feel guilty. Do any of you guys have similar experiences?

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, go on and do 'the white girl hair toss' and be proud. /images/graemlins/up.gif

((laughing and whinning like a baby)) I wonna do the "white girl hair toss" LOL.
Look out world /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

I know THAT's right Ms. Thing! LOL!

I agree 150%... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Great post...

Now that I think about it, since my hair has now become shoulder length and below, it gets in the way when my husband or friends put their arms around my shoulders and so forth so I *may* do a small little tossey-toss here and there.... /images/graemlins/look.gif *blank stare* I've got fine hair...it just moves anyway.... /images/graemlins/look.gif But then again, I can never tell what women are scowling at me for from one day to the next. You try being a young captain's wife with lieutenant colonel wives and above...they just scowl anyway. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Leshia said:
I've got fine hair...it just moves anyway....

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. My hair is not thick, so it moves even with a small toss. Im happy i can toss, i have seen some women with stiff hair /images/graemlins/nono.gif

Leshia said:
You try being a young captain's wife with lieutenant colonel wives and above...they just scowl anyway. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OKAY...you rolling like that! Well then you MUST toss your hair every now and then. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I know they hate on you every chance they get. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

elliot said:
Leshia said:
You try being a young captain's wife with lieutenant colonel wives and above...they just scowl anyway. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OKAY...you rolling like that! Well then you MUST toss your hair every now and then. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I know they hate on you every chance they get. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you wit' me girl...I KNEW you had my back... /images/graemlins/grin.gif Toss then, it is!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ya'll go on and toss and flip and shake and what'eva. People are so weird - i can never understand why people are bothered by some of the things they are bothered about. so what if they see a black girl tossing her hair - id say 'DONT LOOK AT ME AND YOU WONT BE BOTHERED!'
i cant wait to get tossing and stuff .....
let em eat their hearts out..... yeah!
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A little background: My hair is approaching shoulder length which has changed some of my habits. For instance
when putting on my coat, shoulder bag,hugging my boyfriend,or just when my hair is plain ol' in my way, I tend to
"toss" or gather my hair out the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have long hair, these actions ARE NECESSARY. I don't think they have anything to do with "showing off."
Whenever I wear my hair down, if it gets in my eyes, I WILL tuck it behind my ear. I tuck it into my coat, and retuck
when it "sneaks" out. And I constantly have to make sure my purse strap isn't pulling on it cause it is uncomfortable.

I've noticed that I tend to get "looks" from [some] Black women that seem
to imply, "umph, she think's she's White".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, I hope I don't offend anyone, but I only get these looks from young Black women
or some older women who don't look very "cultured." (The same type who will break their necks to stare at your head looking for tracks.)
Can you say, "ignorant?" I can care less what any of them think.

"umph, she think's she's White." &lt;&lt;&lt; Some people also say that about smart Black kids in school or well-spoken Black people. I guess according to some of OUR OWN PEOPLE (the REAL haters) we should have jacked-up hair and be dumb and speak ebonics. If that is the case, I don't care to "be down." /images/graemlins/mad.gif

With all this said, I don't like when women do that repeated hair toss thing (a la Zora in Joe Millionaire). Now that is just stupid and annoying. But, to flip your hair out of necessity or on occasion to be sexy (on a date with a man), that is your God-given right
as far as I'm concerned.

Okay, I'll stop now.

Back