The Truth + Proof Indian regimes MADE MY HAIR GROW in 3 weeks!

So....I got my Hesh amla, and brahmi powders in the mail yesterday and immediately got to work making my amla brahmi oil!!! It was messy but I hope the results are worth it! There was a residue at the bottom and I just took the pure oil and threw the residue away. Was I supposed to keep it and just shake the bottle up when I used the oil? I just hate residue because I fel it would clog my scalp.

I posted my results a little earlier in the thread. Similar products (amla, shikakai, rose petal) made into a hair spray. In a month I had .5 - 1 inch of growth depending on the part of my head. I normally get .25-.5 inch in the respective locations. So that's double the growth which makes me happy. I may take pics of the afro under my braids this weekend before I take them out.

Lys

Hi there, I made your recipe for braid spray last Sunday and I have been using it. How often do you spray your braids, once a day, twice a day. I don't have braids, but I spray my hair every AM/PM and either put my hair in a bun(AM) and plaits(PM) so my hair stays moist. I added other things to my herbal mix once I strained it with a cut off pantyhose and I'm hoping this will work for me instead of the thick paste of shikakai/amla/hibiscus as a hair treatment. I was thinking of making a hair rinse instead of a paste by adding more water to make it more liquidy. I want to see how the herbal braid spray is working first.

OKay I tried the oils. Shakikari (sp) and amla Brahmni (sp) as a shampoo or prepoo, I put them in and rubbed my scalp with my fingertips over and over and then put a plastic cap on and continued getting ready for work. I then got in the shower and rinsed it out with the hot water and then added conditioner and changed the water to a luke warm setting and then cool. I really like it its weird that my hair is not greasy I thought it would be. The smell lingers for a good while though, but my hair feels stronger and heavier. I wish I can do the powder and make the tea but not yet still trying to buy the powder but can't find a place to get it yet. I don't want to do the online thing I am really into not wasting money I like to keep it in my own pocket.

OKay I tried the oils. Shakikari (sp) and amla Brahmni (sp) as a shampoo or prepoo, I put them in and rubbed my scalp with my fingertips over and over and then put a plastic cap on and continued getting ready for work. I then got in the shower and rinsed it out with the hot water and then added conditioner and changed the water to a luke warm setting and then cool. I really like it its weird that my hair is not greasy I thought it would be. The smell lingers for a good while though, but my hair feels stronger and heavier. I wish I can do the powder and make the tea but not yet still trying to buy the powder but can't find a place to get it yet. I don't want to do the online thing I am really into not wasting money I like to keep it in my own pocket.

=====

I have these oils also, did using them like that work good? I think I might try that too...

OMG! I am so excited.:grin: I had to read the whole thread to understand how and what to do. :thought:Yeah!!!!

Go buy these 6 items:
  1. Hesh Shikakai powder,
  2. Shikakai oil
  3. Hesh Amla powder
  4. Dabur Amla Oil
  5. Le Kair Self Heating oil (want to try it out)
  6. Coconut oil (want to try it out)
Exactly what I have learned and gonna do:
  • massaging my head (scritching) esp with my nails, with shikakhai oil
  • then message through hair and add amla to the hair ends and throughout
  • 10 mins later, rinse with warm-hot water for quite some time, until most of the oil has been distributed and released down the drain
  • then mix 2 teaspoon amla powder, 1 or 2 teaspoon shikakhai powder, 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a tub then add 1 cup boiling water to mix then add half cup cold water
  • get in the shower and pour this over head
  • rinse and then condition, apply leave in and moisturiser and seal with oil
  • do every 4 days, and detangled only when saturated in amla oil
  • After 4 weeks, shampoo (On shampoo day use same shikakhai and amla oil to message scalp, rinsed out, shampoo, dust wet wet (if needed) and make powder mix, apply to hair and rinse again. Then deep condition and use some le kair self heating oil, rinse out.Apply leave in and moisturiser then seal with oil
(Please excuse my bad spelling. To tired to check)

Thank you so much Candy C. Love your gorgeous hair. So excited!!!!!!!!!:grin: Now that I have been educated I might enter that thread challenge.

Last edited:
I am certainly interested in doing this I am getting my products this weekend and doing the Henna Saturday morning. My question.

I love the ideal of the rinse and making the oil :grin:its sounds so difficult but its really really easy. Why do we have to refrigerate the rinse does it go bad and then-- when we do that how do we get it warm enough to pour over our heads. Microwave is a no no:nono:it will destroy the nutrients so why put it in the frig. I haven't found any research on this will it go bad, that quickly:rolleyes:? I would like to do this every five days but this is my only issue.

I am doing the crock pot make my own oils sounds so wonderful to me. I would like to make the rinse the night before. So it will be ready first thing in the morning while I get ready for work. I am looking for major growth, thickening and color which I will get from the Henna. I know we can make the rinse right before we put it in. I think its a matter of boiling and steeping for 10 minutes right? thats it no biggy and its like making tea only you have to strain it. I don't think I will be able to do this before I go to work in the morning unless I get up two hours before hand Not. I get up 1.5 hours before hand as it is.

Also years ago. I read where one person did this and capture the rinse and did it over and over well that right there I won't be doing it makes since though, you get all corners of your hair its just time consuming trying to recapture the rinse but its something to think about. I wish I remember who it was, just not sure. Another thing doesn't powder just dissolve why do we have to strain it in the water that sounds so strange to me. I guess becuase I never did this stuff before but I am going to try it. I want to introduce my friend and sister to it but i have to be the first one to do it all.

where did you read you have to refridgerate anything?

:ohwell:

i make mien fresh everytime, you dont need alot of powder :yep:

Thanks. I made the paste last weekend and it made my hair hard. I'm gonna try the rinse this weekend in a spray bottle and spray my scalp and hair :yep:

making a paste made my hair break

just pour over your head when its mixed with water and rinse right out

OMG! I am so excited.:grin: I had to read the whole thread to understand how and what to do. :thought:Yeah!!!!

Go buy these 6 items:
  1. Hesh Shikakai powder,
  2. Shikakai oil
  3. Hesh Amla powder
  4. Dabur Amla Oil
  5. Le Kair Self Heating oil (want to try it out)
  6. Coconut oil (want to try it out)
Exactly what I have learned and gonna do:
  • massaging my head (scritching) esp with my nails, with shikakhai oil
  • then message through hair and add amla to the hair ends and throughout
  • 10 mins later, rinse with warm-hot water for quite some time, until most of the oil has been distributed and released down the drain
  • then mix 2 teaspoon amla powder, 1 or 2 teaspoon shikakhai powder, 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a tub then add 1 cup boiling water to mix then add half cup cold water
  • get in the shower and pour this over head
  • rinse and then condition, apply leave in and moisturiser and seal with oil
  • do every 4 days, and detangled only when saturated in amla oil
  • After 4 weeks, shampoo (On shampoo day use same shikakhai and amla oil to message scalp, rinsed out, shampoo, dust wet wet (if needed) and make powder mix, apply to hair and rinse again. Then deep condition and use some le kair self heating oil, rinse out.Apply leave in and moisturiser then seal with oil
(Please excuse my bad spelling. To tired to check)

Thank you so much Candy C. Love your gorgeous hair. So excited!!!!!!!!!:grin: Now that I have been educated I might enter that thread challenge.

Aww your welcome sweety!

OK I did am amla brahmi rinse tonight and my hair felt like it had s coating on it like it was strengthened, and I'm under the dryer so I'll try to report tomorrow my results and how it went in case anyone's curious:yep:

ETA: I did it and my hair was oily. I think it's because I did the oil rinse AND the amla brami rinse. only the amla brahmi rinse seems to be sufficent. I'll do that and the dominican rinse next time since those aren't as heavy.

Last edited:
I'm doing well with this challenge- My hair has a luster that i only got by using oils. My curls are boingier too! I realized when I made my Shikaikai Oil I used more Shikakai then I needed to- results- my hair caught an attitude.

I diluted the original mix with Dabur Amla and Jojoba Oil. So Ill use Monifaces regimen (Thanks girl) just anoint my scalp with MN ( I'm in that challenge too) and continue to use the tea/brew (I call it a brew cause-I wouldn't want to drink that concoction- not the way it looks anyway and I loove to sip some Tea!) as I always have

thanks candyc!! i did this today and my hair ended up so soft! when i used the Shikakkai, amla, coconut and water mix, my hair did become hard and i was wondering why. i then did a dc and put some co on my wet hair and braided in 2 ponytails. i later came back to blow dry. my hair was still damp but the paddle brush practically glided down my hair!:grin:
my hair is a little oily but i probably used too much co. my hair seems really moisturized though:yep::grin:
i dont know where to get the Shikakkai oil. i see fromnaturewithlove does not carry the oil...i think. i wanted a good one too!! any suggestions?

Last edited:
thanks candyc!! i did this today and my hair ended up so soft! when i used the Shikakkai, amla, coconut and water mix, my hair did become hard and i was wondering why. i then did a dc and put some co on my wet hair and braided in 2 ponytails. i later came back to blow dry. my hair was still damp but the paddle brush practically glided down my hair!:grin:
my hair is a little oily but i probably used too much co. my hair seems really moisturized though:yep::grin:
i dont know where to get the Shikakkai oil. i see fromnaturewithlove does not carry the oil...i think. i wanted a good one too!! any suggestions?

If you want you can make your own shikakai oil - look in the hair recipes board. Its there. There are a few ladies who have "fabulousness "concoctions

oh wow. Thanks for the info. :) I will give it a try next weekend. Thanks Candy_c

So, what happened? Sorry if you responded already.

I'm going through the Indian threads to figure out exactly how I'm going to use the powders.

Honestly, ladies, it sounds like a lot of work :cry:

I am curious. Why not just do the hair packs with the powder, like the Indians do? Saves time. Or have you become addicted to the scritching? Back in the day people loved to get their scalp "scritched!" ("Girl..scritch my scalp...puleeze....")
I do like putting the powder in boiling water and using the filtered run off as a leave in to be rinsed out later. Amla is some good stuff and so is Shikakai! bonjour

This sounds like more my speed, too, Mahalia! :)

Great progress! Im venturing over into these products...I have shikakai powder and a couple of samples of alma powder. Ill try the rinse.

Didnt someone say u can make shikakai oil from the powder somehow? I didnt see it in the store and I dont want to order it and pay shipping. There is another local store so maybe Ill try there for the alma and shikakai oils.

Lemme ask this though....what is the difference between the powders and the oils as far as what do u use them for and why? Are they interchangable?

That's what I was wondering? Do they do the same things but are just in a different form?

Do we really need both the oil and the powders, because I'm TOTALLY down with just oiling and "scritching".

I love that word! Ha!

Let me keep reading, though :)

So what is everyone's progress since this thread is almost a month old and so many folks jumped on the bandwagon :lol:

Blosssom, this is off topic, but one day I was on the hair boards and my SO saw the your profile picture and he was like, "Dang! Who is that?!?"

I had to laugh and explain to him that it wasn't your real picture. You are so funny girl :lachen:

Thanks! I just did a rinse with alma and shikakai and Im sitting under the dryer. My hair felt nice and strong. My scalp also feels tingly. Ill see how it looks/feels when I take my rollers out.

Side note: DONT get that stuff in your eye....it burns like heck...:lachen:
When I was pouring it over my head a little must have run in my eye. My eyes and my nose were burning
lol.

And that's why I'm using a spray bottle! :grin:

It would just go all over the floor anyway trying to pour it over my head :nono:

does it work the same when the powders are boiled in a carrier oil like jojoba or coconut oil?

I ordered the shikaikai and amla powders but since I am 10 weeks post relaxer my hair tangles like crazy so I am using the oil rinses to stretch to the 12 weeks.

I'm sorry but I cannot put oil on wet hair.

I did that once years ago and my hair tangled up so bad, I cried.

I oil DRY and that's IT!

And that's why I'm using a spray bottle! :grin:

It would just go all over the floor anyway trying to pour it over my head :nono:

That's a PERFECT idea! I hadn't thought of that. Now, if you're using a spray bottle, how big is the bottle? How much of each powder? How much water?

So, what happened? Sorry if you responded already.

I'm going through the Indian threads to figure out exactly how I'm going to use the powders.

Honestly, ladies, it sounds like a lot of work :cry:

Blossssom it was a lot of work. I was in my kitchen all day Sunday boiling, measuring and mixing. But actually it was a lot of fun. I have a full jar of homemade Shikaikai oil just itching to be scratched.:grin: I would definitely get a small slow cooker and use that method. I cooked my in a double boiler and I had to hang out in the kitchen all day. But it came out nicely.

That's a PERFECT idea! I hadn't thought of that. Now, if you're using a spray bottle, how big is the bottle? How much of each powder? How much water?

Since the amount of water and powder depends on the length/thickness of the hair, looking at your hair, I say get the biggest one OUT there!

Hell! Get two or three of 'em just so you don't have to keep replenishing the one! :lol: :grin:

time consuming??

PSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

it takes me 5 mins to mix the powders

10 mins to scritch my head (i use ready made shikakai oil for now)

and then i'm offfffff in the shower

altogether, around 45 mins

you lot must be there with ya goggles n overcoats

really, cut time down, it shouldnt take anymore than an hour to have your jim jams on with ya hair airdrying...:nono:

Blossssom it was a lot of work. I was in my kitchen all day Sunday boiling, measuring and mixing. But actually it was a lot of fun. I have a full jar of homemade Shikaikai oil just itching to be scratched.:grin: I would definitely get a small slow cooker and use that method. I cooked my in a double boiler and I had to hang out in the kitchen all day. But it came out nicely.

Yea, I'm like reading all this thinking, "How often do I need to do all this?" :lol:

All day, huh? Yea, I'm going to try it on this Sunday and see what happens.

I've printed out the "bits and pieces" of the various posts, and I'll somehow STRING them together.

I'm thinking once you get the measurements down that the process should be easier and you can simplify as you get the hang of it.

It's going to be a slow start for me, though, because I can't catch on to anything... just started making food from scratch and now I'm making HAIR PRODUCTS? :eek:

It takes me forever to catch on to anything :lol:

Back