~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Whats everyone moisturizing with between washes?

I cowash every day, but after I get out of the shower I apply Kinky Curly Knot Today and a little Mozeke Avocado Cream. At night I take my hair out of my bun and apply shea butter and my castor oil/ olive oil mix, and baggy.

So jealous right now, lol

I'm seriously thinking about snatching these things out of my head. I know I need to atleast wait 6 weeks though

hows the avocado cream? i'm going through hella products trying to find a good moisturizing cream.

I cowash every day, but after I get out of the shower I apply Kinky Curly Knot Today and a little Mozeke Avocado Cream. At night I take my hair out of my bun and apply shea butter and my castor oil/ olive oil mix, and baggy.

Subscribing....great thread! I need all of the support I can get, as I'm sure I'm not the only one!

* When you BCd - May 10th. I've done the crown and glory method for 1 year
* How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd - 1 year, although my last relaxer around my crown and edges was about 1 month ago. So 95% of my head is natural. *sigh*
* Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics - I'm a 4b, z pattern, 80% shrinkage, medium strands, densely packed.
* Your current regimen - I don't have one yet, I'm looking for ideas! I might try LHDC's reggie of braiding for 4-6 weeks at a time. In the past, I saw the best retention when I cornrowed.
* Your favorite styles - TWA, twists, twist and braid outs, cornrows
* Your current length and goal length - About neck length currently. I want to grow my hair as long as it will possibly go.
* Your photo album, if any - Currently re-doing it. Stay tuned!

hows the avocado cream? i'm going through hella products trying to find a good moisturizing cream.

I love it! I purchased the 8 oz size, and have since purchased the 16 oz because it works so well. I find that a little goes a long way. I use about a quarter size amount on each half of my head (I'm about 1/2 in from APL in the back) and my hair is sooo soft when I take my hair down from my bun towards the end of the day. It does an excellent job of both moisturizing on it's own, and sealing in the moisturizing properties of the Knot Today as well.

If you want to try it, there are 4 oz sample sizes, which I think is a very generous amount and would help you determine if it works for you!

Welcom nestlequik and congrats!

Any pics?

Yep, here's a few.

And about pjism...I have that problem too. After I told my fiance I wanted to stop by Target before going to see Corrine Bailey Rae (She was great, and I love her hair) he said, "Girl, you don't have that much hair". I'm like, "yeah, that might be true, but I've got to make this half an inch look good!."

I've attached a "before" (it was done after I received a BKT a month ago" and "after".

Attachments

• Picture 200.jpg
    Picture 200.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 34th birthday and haircut 009.jpg
    34th birthday and haircut 009.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 45
Nestlequick & bella - welcome and congrats on your recent BCs!

Whats everyone moisturizing with between washes?
I use a water/glycerin/rosewater mix or burdock root butter cream or brbc/water mix.

Tuesday night, I put my hair in large twists, which I then braided to secure them. I did it sort of sloppily because I didn't want it to be super-defined, I wanted a big a fluffy/frizzy look. Over the past couple of days, my coilies have started coming back with moisturizing and manipulation. Here's how I'm wearing my hair today:
000_0077-vi.jpg

Right now, I'm wearing my fro out with carefree curl gold. Tis all.

I can't keep me hands out of my hair! This is ridiculous!

is it bad to use a pick in your hair? to fro it out?

I use one to lift up my roots. I don't go all the way to my ends with the pick though bc the coilies at the ends clump together and I feel like I'd be causing breakage by forcing them to separate unnecessarily

Nestlequick & bella - welcome and congrats on your recent BCs!

I use a water/glycerin/rosewater mix or burdock root butter cream or brbc/water mix.

Tuesday night, I put my hair in large twists, which I then braided to secure them. I did it sort of sloppily because I didn't want it to be super-defined, I wanted a big a fluffy/frizzy look. Over the past couple of days, my coilies have started coming back with moisturizing and manipulation. Here's how I'm wearing my hair today:
000_0077-vi.jpg

VERY pretty.:yep:

^^^Thanks for the compliment!

I'm SMHing @ my ends though. Ah well, I'm not gonna complain or act surprised. I've thoroughly enjoyed wearing my hair out and everything has its trade-offs.

I had an event yesterday and I didn't feel like setting my hair in a style that would take forever to dry. I cowashed with V05 tea therapy chamomile, added giovanni direct leave-in, burdock root butter cream and coconut oil to my hair, pulled it back into a large puff, and twisted the loose hair in several large twists to stretch the hair. I was going to undo the twists and do a bun using hairpins but I decided to just make the twists smaller and pin them into a bun. I didn't get a great pic of the style but here a couple to give an idea of what it looked like:
000_0082-vi.jpg

I added a pearl accessory in the center of the bun to anchor it and make it more decorative and formal.
000_0080-vi.jpg

^^^Thanks for the compliment!

I'm SMHing @ my ends though. Ah well, I'm not gonna complain or act surprised. I've thoroughly enjoyed wearing my hair out and everything has its trade-offs.

I had an event yesterday and I didn't feel like setting my hair in a style that would take forever to dry. I cowashed with V05 tea therapy chamomile, added giovanni direct leave-in, burdock root butter cream and coconut oil to my hair, pulled it back into a large puff, and twisted the loose hair in several large twists to stretch the hair. I was going to undo the twists and do a bun using hairpins but I decided to just make the twists smaller and pin them into a bun. I didn't get a great pic of the style but here a couple to give an idea of what it looked like:
000_0082-vi.jpg

000_0080-vi.jpg

That's such a good idea! I miss my buns

I visited my parents this weekend. My mother said she liked my hair. This morning, she goes into the guest bathroom to do her hair (I'm not sure why she didn't use the master bathroom but anyway...). She comes out and says "I have a problem with you leaving pubic hair in the sink. You need to go in the bathroom and clean the sink." WTF??? I said "Mom, I wouldn't do that, that's the hair that's grown from my head". (I wouldn't purposely leave hair in the sink, I just didn't realize that I did) Instead of apologizing, she laughed and said she wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I'm like :angry2: and at that point I felt like it was time for me to leave. This happened early this morning and she still doesn't realize that she offended me.:wallbash:

I'm attempting banding for the first time. Washed and DC'ed as usual, leave in and sealed with my coconut oil/shea butter mix then parted my hair into 4. I used those long goody hair elastics (the ones used to make puffs) and banded each quadrant. I'm hoping it stretches my hair as well as twists do. I'm looking for a more time efficient way to stretch my hair since it still shrinks down to ~2 inches. I'll post the results tomorrow

I visited my parents this weekend. My mother said she liked my hair. This morning, she goes into the guest bathroom to do her hair (I'm not sure why she didn't use the master bathroom but anyway...). She comes out and says "I have a problem with you leaving pubic hair in the sink. You need to go in the bathroom and clean the sink." WTF??? I said "Mom, I wouldn't do that, that's the hair that's grown from my head". (I wouldn't purposely leave hair in the sink, I just didn't realize that I did) Instead of apologizing, she laughed and said she wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I'm like :angry2: and at that point I felt like it was time for me to leave. This happened early this morning and she still doesn't realize that she offended me.:wallbash:

omg I got mad for you. Why would anybody leave pubic hair in the sink? I would assume hair from your head before I assumed pubic hair was in the sink

Platinum- I'm sorry you had a bad morning. It seems that not only does a new natural have to go through a mental transition, but those around us do as well. No one has really seen my hair not in a bun, because I'm not ready to hear what they have to say yet. I love my hair, and for now that's what matter.

Foxglove- Can't wait to see how banding is works out for you! I want to try that one day.

My hair seems to be thickening up at lightening speed. I like it, but it's beginning to take longer to detangle in the shower. I'm hoping that after this thickening phase it goes through a growing phase as well. I want to be as close to BSL as possible by December. *fingers crossed*

:nono: Are you gonna call her on it?

So I banded my hair last night. I took one down this morning but the inside is still damp. I guess next time instead of 4 sections I should split my hair into 8 or 10 sections. I rebanded the section I took down.
In other news I found a new hairspiration
http://afroniquelyyou.com/2010/05/mahogany-a-natural-diva/
Good googly moogly!:lovedrool: *adds afroniquelyyou to bookmarks and makes note to check out Naptural Roots magazine*

ugh!! hey ladies. i am so fed up with this whole moisturizing thing. i dont know what to do. do you find it more effective to moisturize on dry or wet hair. i have been trying it on wet after a wash like i used to do because its allows for my hair to lay down and stay down when i put my scarf on at night, so i can just take the scarf off in the morning and go. this is either not working, or i am not doing well finding a product because my hair just feels dry. getting annoyed!!!! lol

Hey Flawed! Don't give up! If anything think of this as an opportunity to buy alll those products you've always wanted try! LOL. Anyway, I moisturize in the morning on wet hair, and at night on dry hair. Maybe you could try the baggy method at night? I baggy every night and wake up with soft and well moisturized hair.

Let me know what happens!

omg i have already bought the flippin farm now that i am natural, using that as my excuse :lachen: its no good! i got bills ya'll. since being natural i have purchased:

garnier condish
garnier 3 minute miracle or what ev its called
elucence condish
sexy curly hair
some olive oil condish for dc'n (cant remember the name)
olive oil spray
yes to carrots condish
jbco (ordered today :lachen:)
kinky curly knot today (which i ordered from their site last week and havent heard anything since :wallbash:)
sheabutter something from hairveda that im waitin on.

prob some other stuff to that i cant remember. i was a baaaad pj like this when i started my journey, im not usin all that at once of course, plus i still got a stash of crap under my sink from my back in the day pj'in. imma mess ya'll :sad:

Hey Flawed! Don't give up! If anything think of this as an opportunity to buy alll those products you've always wanted try! LOL. Anyway, I moisturize in the morning on wet hair, and at night on dry hair. Maybe you could try the baggy method at night? I baggy every night and wake up with soft and well moisturized hair.

Let me know what happens!

omg i have already bought the flippin farm now that i am natural, using that as my excuse :lachen: its no good! i got bills ya'll. imma mess ya'll :sad:
:lol: :hug2: don't be too hard on yourself. I think the jbco will make for an excellent sealant. Your hair should feel extra soft and moisturized using that, especially with the baggy method that cch mentioned. :yep:

The banding did an awesome job of stretching my hair. Now that it's stretched I have no idea what to do with it. Maybe bantu knots...
ETA ended up doing a puff

Last edited:
:nono: Are you gonna call her on it?

I haven't spoken to her about it. Unfortunately, I came home to find that my apartment had been broken into.:sad: Nothing of value was taken but now, I'm looking for another apartment. I'm going to ignore my mom's ignorant comment and watch her eat her words after she sees how much progress I will have made by Thanksgiving.:ohwell:

Back