~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

did my first twist out on dry hair and it looks great! more definition and my hair feels really soft. going to cowash tonight and try for a bun look for the rest of the week hopefully.

I'm starting to notice that my hair is flopping down more now without being combed that way. I'm diggin it. Same thickness but has a little hang.

Anywho...I'm getting kinky twists done this weekend. Yay!!! Only down side is that I have an awards banquet to go to in 2 weeks for my fiance. He's in the military and there will be quite a few higher ranked people there. Not sure how I'm going to be able to style the twists that night to look elegant. Anyone had twists or braids of any sort and styled them for a semi-formal event?

What was her excuse for bailing?

I got her business card a couple of months ago and called the number on the business card. Made an appointment for today. She asked if I knew where she was and I said yes, assuming she was at the salon I got the business card from (which was the address on the business card). I show up today after work and the salon is closed. Call her and she says yeah the salon went out of business, she's all the way across town in a new salon and there's no way she can press my hair before the salon closes. So now I'm stuck and have to go somewhere else last minute. Hopefully I'll find some Dominicans in jersey or something

I got her business card a couple of months ago and called the number on the business card. Made an appointment for today. She asked if I knew where she was and I said yes, assuming she was at the salon I got the business card from (which was the address on the business card). I show up today after work and the salon is closed. Call her and she says yeah the salon went out of business, she's all the way across town in a new salon and there's no way she can press my hair before the salon closes. So now I'm stuck and have to go somewhere else last minute. Hopefully I'll find some Dominicans in jersey or something

Dang. That sucks.

Hi ladies. Thought I would share some after the blow out pics. It's a flat twistout set on rollers.

I then decided to step outside my comfort zone and rock a huge fro as my definition began to fade due to the wonderful Houston weather.

I'm very surprised that I got quite a few compliments on my fro because I wasn't too sure about it. Hubby loved it too so that helped:grin:

HHG~~

So I have a first today! Today is the first time somebody asked to touch my hair! :lol: I thought I would be a lot more apprehensive about it, but I was actually kind of excited and took it as a compliment the way she was gushing over it. I just hope that a whole touching thing doesnt start happening without asking... :look:

I'm in the salon getting my press. The stylist was surprised at how soft my hair was. She kept saying it looked harder than it was. I had to make her blow dry in sections bc she brought out a paddle brush and was about to start ripping through my hair. I asked her and she began sectioning and blowdrying that way.

:hiya2: I'm.20.months.post.today...!!!

My twistouts still suck :perplexed so I continue to wear Kimmaytube's wash, tuck and pin. At times I'll do the slick donut bun.

Ooh lord my ends suck. Probably bc they're always exposed since I always wear puffs and I haven't had a trim since my BC. I'll get an inch trim

tried a coil out and hated it. bought a phony pony and ecostyler olive oil today so I hope all goes well with weekend hair.

I think I'm gonna start washing my hair in sections now. I know I know :spank: but up until this point, my natural hair hasn't really been what I would consider "long enough" to section off for my poos and DCs.

What length did you ladies start washing in sections? And please don't beat me for not doing it before now lol

^^^I'm not even SL yet and I wash in sections. As soon as I started doing my own natural hair (was going to salons for weekly flat irons at first), I did it in sections. Got the idea from Kimmaytube and moptopmaven. I stand in the mirror so I can see what I'm doing and also not to use up hot water. I do pretty much EVERYTHING to my hair in sections. It just makes it more manageable and not overwhelming.

I think I'm gonna start washing my hair in sections now. I know I know :spank: but up until this point, my natural hair hasn't really been what I would consider "long enough" to section off for my poos and DCs.

What length did you ladies start washing in sections? And please don't beat me for not doing it before now lol

I still don't wash my hair in sections... :look:

Hmmm I'm reading about it on Natural Haven now...I just had a 45 min detangling session...I was not happy.

my last washing detangling styling session was 4 hours so yeah im really not trying to be kimmaytube with these looong sessions:look:....

NikkiQ I don't wash in sections either. I've done it in the past because of the board but then I kinda forgot and got over it. I don't have super long detangling sessions either, it takes me 15-20 minutes tops if I went more than a week without running a comb through it. But ideally, I'll detangle every 3-4 days and it'll take me about 5-10 minutes.

eta my hair is type 4, about apl straight.

Last edited:
my hair is not even that thick or that long and it takes me a while to detangle. Must be my texture. I actually thought my two hrs wasn't bad but seems like its taking most less time than that.

There r lots of things I see people doing to their hair easily like slicking back into a bun or rollersetting that generally don't work for me. I don't trip tho, my hair is healthy and growing so I am just happy about that.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Long Hair Care Forum App

Ok finally the pics.
I tried to straighten my hair after the stylist bailed on me. This is with a sedu on 410. Massive fail
IMG_1133.jpg

So I had to go to some random stylist on my way up to jersey. She actually did a good job but even with the marcel AND a flat iron my hair was reverting as she was pressing it (I was secretly happy). She trimmed an inch off my ends and this is what I was left with
268313491-1.jpg
IMG_1138.jpg

It got bigger as the night went on.
Oh and all the bridesmaids got their hands henna'd. Here's mine
268851885.jpg

I need to figure out a new way to bun. Every couple of months or so I have to tweak my process because my hair is a little bit longer. This morning I stretched my longest layer and it was MBL!!! I'm going to wait to claim it until I flat iron my hair at the end of May. I'm wondering how people with really long and thick hair bun... Any suggestions?

Foxglove Your hair looks nice, did she also cut it into layers or is that a result of your BC? I forget is this your first time straightening it, cuz my 1st attempt on my own was a hot mess too :giggle:
Love, love, love the henna, I've always wanted to go to/be in an Indian wedding but my lone Indian friend moved to London after undergrad :(

eta let us know if her straightening held up to the end of the day post dancing, celebrating all night. Congrats to your friend.

Last edited:
I still don't wash my hair in sections... :look:

I don't wash my hair in sections either. I don't think it's thick enough to have to do that. My detangling sessions are mixed in with my styling time so it's no biggie there either.

You hair looks great @Foxglove .

cch24, you should look into wearing hair sticks as a variation to your buns. The hairstick thread is a good place to start. I even bought me some to start using.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=501326

Last edited:
Foxglove Your hair looks nice, did she also cut it into layers or is that a result of your BC? I forget is this your first time straightening it, cuz my 1st attempt on my own was a hot mess too :giggle:
Love, love, love the henna, I've always wanted to go to/be in an Indian wedding but my lone Indian friend moved to London after undergrad :(

eta let us know if her straightening held up to the end of the day post dancing, celebrating all night. Congrats to your friend.

Thanks! The layers are natural layers from my BC.
It didn't even make it to the end of the night. It was still straight but got huge like that first pic

Last edited:
Back