~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Product review post, SheaMoisture products. I've been working out daily so I only have wash n go photos :ohwell:

Organic coconut and hibiscus curl enhancing smoothie
I really like it for my wash n gos, it's a nice creamy product with a bit of weight to it, it kept my hair moisturised all day and gave me nice definition.
I twisted one side of my head one night because I was anxious to see how it would do :look: and it worked well, the next day I had nice well definied twists so it has a nice hold to it. The only reason why I don't think I'll use it for twists in the future is I tend to do my twistouts over night and it smells very sweet and was too much for me to handle while I slept. However the smell didn't bother me when I did the wash n go.

sheamoisturesmoothie.jpg

Organic raw shea butter deep treatment masque
I haven't used it as a DC yet and I'm not sure if I will, it's similar in consistency to the Curl enhancing smoothie, just a bit less creamy. They say you can use it as a leave in so I tried it on a one chunk of my head twistout and I liked the definition. The smell of this one is much more mild and didn't bother me overnight so I'll probably end up using this one for twists in the future.
I also wore it with my wash n go and loved the way my hair looked.

IMG-20110409-00323.jpg

Organic coconut and hibiscus curl and style conditioning milk
The hair milk gave me a more full bodied wash n go which I like, it's a lot more light then the other two so it doesn't weigh my hair down as much. It also doesn't offer as much conditioning to my coarse left side so I end up with hair bigger on one side but I don't think anyone who isn't hair obsessed notices these little things :giggle:

IMG-20110407-00290.jpg
I hate how my hair will look huge in person but so tame when I take a picture:ohwell: In person it looked much bigger than my smoothie hair.

I bought and returned the Hold & shine moisture mist, there was nothing wrong with it, it worked well at reviving my hair in the morning but I usually just spritz my hair with water and didn't feel this was a necessary item so I exchanged it for more of the smoothie.
I also exchanged the Moisture retention shampoo without even trying it to get more of the masque. I've been washing my hair with Dr Bronner's sweet almond soap and generally don't bother with a new line's shampoo but the BOGO went to my head.

I wish my Walgreen's had their Organic black soap line because so far I've liked everything I tried from them. They get two thumbs way up from me, the bogo sale helped but I would definitely pay full price to repurchase all of them:yep:. This is also the only natural line I can find locally in my melanin challenged area so I love the fact that I could use this line exclusively as my staples if I were so inclined (but I'm not cuz I love buying things :look:)
The PJ in me also wishes I had bought more of everything :look: :lol:

Last edited:
Ok so I'm trying to perfect my braid out and I'm finally getting to a point where I actually like my results. I used Shea Moisture Yucca & Aloe milk then sealed with Almond oil for this look. I think I will seal with a butter next time to see if I get more definition. Overall I like my big hair:yep:

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 52
So I did a sad little braid out yesterday. Didn't come out how I wanted, but I rocked it anyway

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 75
So I did a sad little braid out yesterday. Didn't come out how I wanted, but I rocked it anyway

aww man i saw the statue in the background and i just knew you were in New Orleans. OMG! i love it down there! lol Your hair looks cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drink looks yummy!:lick:

You ladies are always posting hair pictures and I love looking at them, but never contribute. I was loading some pictures on my computer today to send to my mom and I thought I would add some to this thread. The first two pictures are of a ponytail that's a result of a failed braid out. I used Aussie Moist and the Curlesque Curls Rock Amplifier for the braid out but it didn't dry fully. The flash of my camera is making my hair look gray, but it was my normal hair color in person.

The second three pictures are of my hair today, and basically every day. I alternate low and high buns. For the past few days I have been cowashing with Aussie Moist, detangling, rinsing, and then immediately applying Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Conditioner (not the leave-in) to my hair in the shower, and pulling it back into a ponytail. I never use a brush to make by bun. I used spin pins to hold my bun, and sat under the dryer for about 20 minutes to get some of the water out of my hair.

I'm sorry for my messy room!!!! It's been a stressful couple of weeks at school but I'm going to clean it today!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
My natural hair anniversary was the April 5th. Technically, my BC on 4/4 and I finished early morning of 4/5/2010. I think I had 4/5 in my siggy as my BC date but I think I'll make 4/4 my official date since that's when I took the big step and chopped. Last relaxer was April of 2009.

This update doesn't necessarily illustrate progress. :look: Yes, I've gained some length but I haven't retained uniformly. Also, my hair looked so healthy (and obviously my ends looked great) when I BCd. Now...meh. I haven't been consistent with my reggie. My growth rate slows down in the fall/winter (largely because I drink less water, exercise less and don't eat as healthily as in the spring/summer). I've done 3 trims/dustings (about ~.5-.75" in Sept, .25" in Dec and .1- .25" in February). I had a setback in February after going on vacation:

As pictured, I wore my hair in twists for the first several days, then a twisout, then a shrunken puff. I would slather my hair with condish before and after swimming. I rinsed/cowashed out the saltwater at the end of the day but I never shampooed (and it hindsight I should have rinsed/cowashed while using the beach shower post-swim). Anyways, by the end of the trip, my hair was coming out in clumps (esp at the ends) and this continued for a few days after returning home.

Anyways, onto the comparison pics!

4/5/2010 (still had some relaxed ends) vs. 3/8/2011

4/11/2010 vs 3/8/2011

4/11/2010 vs 7/16/2010 vs 9/12/2010

9/10/2011 vs 1/14/2011 vs 3/8/2011

9/10/2010 vs 4/10/2011

Twistouts

4/11/2010 vs 7/7/2010 vs 3/1/2011

8/22/2010 vs 3/1/2011

Puffs

4/18/2010 vs. 10/14/2010

Bonus: some recent buns
This was the 2nd day, some twists has gone askew and couldn't get it look like the day before
Another 2nd day bun. This is a donut bun, you can actually see the filler peeking through.

I wore a beehive braid for a month and took it down last weekend to henna. I'm gonna beehive braid it tomorrow or Tuesday and I think I'll try for 6 weeks this time.

PS I love being natural!!!!!!! :yay: :infatuated:

andromeda I :love: your hair. Every time I see one of you ladies working those mini twists I want to try it but then get too lazy. I'll try them before the end of the year.
Your twistouts look great :yep:

^^^Thanks StephElise! I'm counting down til the 1 year post relaxer mark. I might treat myself to a professional flat iron job for Easter, but heat scares me still lmao. I do want to see my progress though.

How long after the BC would you say you see more natural curl clumping and definition? You can see some in my sig pic, but its kind of all over the place. Also as I'm finding the few pieces of relaxed ends and snip them off, its starting to look less bushy and more defined in more areas.

^^^Me too. I can't wait to have at least a little hang time, but it's gonna take a while before that happens.

@NikkiQ, @cch24, @Zaz and @andromeda, I am loving your hair pics and progress! Thanks for sharing!!

@andromeda
Beautiful pics and nice progress. You finished your BC on my birthday, April 5th.

@NikkiQ
Your hair always look nice...!

@andromeda I :love: your hair. Every time I see one of you ladies working those mini twists I want to try it but then get too lazy. I'll try them before the end of the year.
Your twistouts look great :yep:

Thanks, Zaz, SherylsTresses and StephElise!!!

I don't know if you guys look at the sticky thread about posting your daily hair but I post in there all the time and neglect this one!

I'll post what I've been doing to my hair here too.

a0461e16.jpg

112cb626-1.jpg

2eb7c81f.jpg

701fbb92.jpg

d922c106.jpg

00ea3b30.jpg

938adab3.jpg

e9688877.jpg

c327078e.jpg

Did my hair in a chunky twistout for today and a lady who consistently wears weaves and perms her edges :look: says my hair looked like turds. I said, "well I like it" and so did everyone else who complimented me all day long. Hmph!

andromeda i love your hair!!!! im so jealous because my last relxer was around the same as yours, may 2009, but im no where near apl :(. you are not that slow of a grower compared to me. but all in all i am lovin the progress. keep doin what you do, because you are an inspiration!!

Did my hair in a chunky twistout for today and a lady who consistently wears weaves and perms her edges :look: says my hair looked like turds. I said, "well I like it" and so did everyone else who complimented me all day long. Hmph!

What? How rude and immature. Even if you don't like somebody's hair why turn around and tell them it looks like a turd?

ETA I'm loving all the pics. Everybody's hair looks beautiful!

Yeah, I know right. She did it in front of a group, too. Which was ignorant. People throw shade all day, but we have to be confident within ourselves, ladies! :yep:

I would have told her it matches the sh*t sandwich breath she has. that is so rude!

I don't know if you guys look at the sticky thread about posting your daily hair but I post in there all the time and neglect this one!

I'll post what I've been doing to my hair here too.
I've been loving your styles in that thread.:yep: Keep'em coming!

@andromeda i love your hair!!!! im so jealous because my last relxer was around the same as yours, may 2009, but im no where near apl :(. you are not that slow of a grower compared to me. but all in all i am lovin the progress. keep doin what you do, because you are an inspiration!!
Thanks! :blush: I was gonna straighten my hair when I did the length check in March but I decided against it bc I figured my hair needed a rest (and I didn't have the energy to straighten it nor did I want to deal with non-swanging hair). If I had straightened, it would've probably been evident that I'm not full apl and my hair is uneven.

Anyways, the bolded is really encouraging! :yep: I'm gonna try to stop complaining after the fact. I'm gonna take a step back, look at what I've acheived, think positively and do what I gotta do to improve my hair's health, density and length. Thank you again!

*** that noise!!! :angry: Why do people think they can come out their face with such nonsense!?!

Anyways, your response was classy and you stayed true to your location!

Back