~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

I wanted to flat ironed my hair yesterday, I couldn't find my Sedu iron which turned out to be just my luck because I had to use my Maxi glide which I purchased and only used once pre LHCF. The teeth were a bit intimidating and it's a bit bulky (I have a 1.5" one and not that much hair) but now that I know more I realised it's like a built in comb chaser flat iron in one. So I went looking in the basement, took me a good half hour to find it because for some reason I put it in the bin marked "kitchen stuff" instead of "toiletteries":lol:

Anyhow the Maxiglide worked way better for me than my Sedu, it's more "idiot proof" which I need :lol:. I didn't get ratty looking ends like I do with the Sedu iron. I'm even thinking of selling the Sedu (to use the funds towards a FHI Runway, don't judge:look:) I curled my hair over night with some satin pillow rollers because I can't really wrap my hair and figured I oughta do something to it.
ETA: I love these because they don't leave that annoying line across your hair like sponge rollers do and they're comfortable to sleep in. I got them at Target for under $10 i believe.

Anyhow, enough about my life story, here are the pictures:

Pic of just my nape, barring any setbacks I should be past APL by the end of the year :grin: :

3inchesfromAPL.jpg
Butler-20110212-00059.jpg

When I was entirely done and curled; here's my hair using Conair heated rollers:

IMG-20110213-00073.jpg
IMG-20110213-00074.jpg

Curled hair this morning when I took off the pillow rollers:
IMG-20110213-00080.jpg

IMG-20110213-00076.jpg
IMG-20110213-00077.jpg

ETA I used Sabino moisture block as a heat protectant and haven't had any reversion since yesterday even though I went out in the snow :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Ok. So I henna'd today and followed with Indigo. My hair is loving it I think. It felt so weak before and now it's nice and bouncy and feels really thick. Oddly enoug, the Henna/Indigo treatment wasn't as messy as everyone makes it seem lol.

I BC'd yesterday at 18 months post...!!!

I had grown very tired of wearing buns. :ohwell: My head begin to hurt where it was positioned and I wondered if my nape would thin out. My relaxed hair was too fragile and time-consuming so I did what I had to do. :yep: I wasn't prepared for shrinkage combined with a twistout. LOL. Anyways here you are...... :spinning:

Attachments

• Front 1.jpg
    Front 1.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Left Side.jpg
    Left Side.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 77
Hey Ladies!

I just used up the last of my lustrasilk from my relaxed days the other day and I was thinking that instead of a DC since I really don't have any left and trying to figure out what to buy next, I'm going to do a hot oil treatment? Is it okay to do this with Coconut oil?

I think so, but I would suggest throwing another oil in their like olive too if you have it.

Azure18- Thank you for responding. They just look so out of place, real scraggly looking. I guess I'll leave them be for now...
:hiya2:PYT- Glad to hear your puff came out great. Can't wait to see pictures.

Ok I did my first twist the other day ladies, I didn't get a chance to take pictures that day, so I re twisted for the next day and waa laa. I like the out come, it gives my puff more length and curl definition. I did play with it a little too much and it became frizzy, with a little work hopefully I can perfect it. However I don't like twisting it every night :sad:

Awww your twists look so juicy!:lick: And I love your puff. It seems soo soft.

ETA: I need to update my sig pic. My bunnytail is growing!!! Yay!!

i've now been natural for 10 days!! woohoo!! lol :grin: but something that is really weird is that when i went back to work last week after the cut, which i was very very self concious about, most of my caucasian co-workers told me they loved my hair and just kept complimenting me, and one told me this fit me (she explained that she like my straight hair, but this seemed more me personality wise lolol) but not one black co-worker has said anything. one said, oh i guess they scalped you at the salon huh? i've gotten a few quick glances, but thats it. i was quite surprised. the only people who have congratulated me and told me they like my hair besides on here lol were my natural friends and other close friends. now this isn't about approval, but i found it strange. it's weird when my white co-workers can compliment me and embrace the curly fro :lol: but my black co-workers i get :ohwell::perplexed. no one has said anything rude, but i just get the :look: face. i wondered, maybe they think its a curly afro puff? lol but i doubt it. :rolleyes:

i told my bf about it, he thought maybe they just aren't the type to compliment, but when i dyed my hair, and when i would straighten it, everyone would come up to me to compliment me, and discuss my hair, even people not in my department. one day i might do an experiment, straighten my hair and see how many hey's and how you doing, and conversations i get vs when i wear it curly, i don't get eye contact, i get nothing. :lachen::perplexed
anyways, this is just a observation i've noticed over the past week.

:congrats: Can' wait to see more pics. Looks like a lot of hair so you're at a good starting point :yep:

I BC'd yesterday at 18 months post...!!!

I had grown very tired of wearing buns. :ohwell: My head begin to hurt where it was positioned and I wondered if my nape would thin out. My relaxed hair was too fragile and time-consuming so I did what I had to do. :yep: I wasn't prepared for shrinkage combined with a twistout. LOL. Anyways here you are...... :spinning:

Last edited:
:congrats: Can' wait to see more pics. Looks like a lot of hair so you're at a good starting point :yep:

Thanks MummysGirl...!!! You will see more as soon as I get this two-strand twist thingy correct. I've realized that twistouts are different on transitioning hair and natural hair. Seems that relaxed hair holds moisture for the newgrowth. I wasn't expecting this.

Congratulations SherylsTresses and Glamourous Chic!!!

Glamourous Chic, sounds like a good experiment. Please share the results after this takes place.

I've had my braids for about a week but I'm going to take them out. I didn't go to my usual braider at the African braid shop, I got a young girl to do them. They're cute but some of them still hurt. It sux because even though she charged a good price, she made the braids bigger than I wanted and she took a lot longer than my usual braider. Next time, I'll just pay the extra money and go back to my braider.:sad:

Sitting under the dryer with cassia on my hair. I used 75 grams, a dash of oil, and a blob of Tresemme Naturals in my mix. Can't wait to rinse it out, DC, and put my hair in a bun.

Congratulations to all the new naturals!

I have determined that my natural hair loves S-Curl.

I also want to try the Taliah Waajid Protective Body Mistifier - I've heard great things about it, but it's not sold here in Greenville, SC. I'm going to have to purchase online or drive to Charlotte, Atlanta, or Columbia, SC to get in the store.

so, i'm still learning what my natural hair needs and working on a regimen. so, since the closetst thing to a ponytail i can do right now is a afro puff, thats what i've been wearing right now. i've been co-washing my hair daily with either aussie moist/suave shea almond/he hello hydration. then i've been experimenting with just applying conditioner then sealing with coconut oil or applying kimmaytube's leave-in. my hair feels great most of the day, until night/next day hits. its dry as hay (or maybe i'm not used to this feeling idk) so i feel like i almost have to cowash daily to make sure it stays moisturized. any advice? is this normal?

What's going on with this thread? I've gotten email updates but the last 2 or 3 posts aren't showing up when I click onto the thread.:ohwell:

I am finally all natural now. Got a trim/flat iron yesterday and all the relaxed ends should be gone. I transitioned for 18 months with several trims. I think i finally have a pretty solid (but boring) regimen to get me to my length goals.

I wish I had taken a pic at the salon yesterday, with my hair all afro'd out. I was so taken aback, like wow thats a lot of hair. I don't get to see my hair fro up like that at home bc I use really mild shampoos and keep my hair sectioned and stretched out all the time. i did take straight pics tho and will post those later.

I am 4b/a with fine porous strand. My stylists even made the comment that my hair is like a sponge; it is very porous.

eta: straight pics

Attachments

• HPIM0489.jpg
    HPIM0489.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 65
  • HPIM0490.jpg
    HPIM0490.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 64
  • HPIM0504.jpg
    HPIM0504.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 57
  • HPIM0508.jpg
    HPIM0508.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
i've now been natural for 10 days!! woohoo!! lol :grin: but something that is really weird is that when i went back to work last week after the cut, which i was very very self concious about, most of my caucasian co-workers told me they loved my hair and just kept complimenting me, and one told me this fit me (she explained that she like my straight hair, but this seemed more me personality wise lolol) but not one black co-worker has said anything. one said, oh i guess they scalped you at the salon huh? i've gotten a few quick glances, but thats it. i was quite surprised. the only people who have congratulated me and told me they like my hair besides on here lol were my natural friends and other close friends. now this isn't about approval, but i found it strange. it's weird when my white co-workers can compliment me and embrace the curly fro :lol: but my black co-workers i get :ohwell::perplexed. no one has said anything rude, but i just get the :look: face. i wondered, maybe they think its a curly afro puff? lol but i doubt it. :rolleyes:

i told my bf about it, he thought maybe they just aren't the type to compliment, but when i dyed my hair, and when i would straighten it, everyone would come up to me to compliment me, and discuss my hair, even people not in my department. one day i might do an experiment, straighten my hair and see how many hey's and how you doing, and conversations i get vs when i wear it curly, i don't get eye contact, i get nothing. :lachen::perplexed
anyways, this is just a observation i've noticed over the past week.

Don't worry about them or look for compliments! Some folks want to go natural and just don't or scared too. When I as relax my hair was scrappy, stingly mess and only time I got a compliment was when it was cut in a style. Now I'm not hating relaxer but if anyone ask me to straighten my comeback is why so I can wear it straight, really just straight no style, just hanging. We can puff,bun, twist, curly, fro and wear it straight!

so, i'm still learning what my natural hair needs and working on a regimen. so, since the closetst thing to a ponytail i can do right now is a afro puff, thats what i've been wearing right now. i've been co-washing my hair daily with either aussie moist/suave shea almond/he hello hydration. then i've been experimenting with just applying conditioner then sealing with coconut oil or applying kimmaytube's leave-in. my hair feels great most of the day, until night/next day hits. its dry as hay (or maybe i'm not used to this feeling idk) so i feel like i almost have to cowash daily to make sure it stays moisturized. any advice? is this normal?

I'm a new natural and my twistout was dry by noon so I've been wearing Kimmaytube's wash, tuck and go hairstyle with twistout bangs. Now I just cowash once a week and spritz as needed. :yep: HTH

I'm not sure I wasn't able to see the last few posts earlier but I'm glad I'm able to see it now. I think I'm going to try KT's leave-in recipe again this week. A couple of my male friends told to that they like my afro and don't understand why I decided to get extension braids. I guess they don't understand the concept of protective styling.:ohwell: I really wanted to wear braids until summer but I think I'm going to wait a few weeks or probably a month. My scalp is still tender from that last install.:burn: I'm also trying to nurse my nape back into shape (it's coming back slowly). I've learned that area is extremely fragile so I'm trying to find a way to work on the porosity.

Keep up the good work everyone!

I'm going to go back to Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner for a while. I haven't used this stuff in years but I remember getting good growth and retention when my mother used it on me. I'm so disappointed in the condition of my nape.:sad: I believe that if I have not had breakage in that area, I would be APL or close to it by now. I still have the rest of 2011 to try to see if I can make it.

I am finally all natural now. Got a trim/flat iron yesterday and all the relaxed ends should be gone. I transitioned for 18 months with several trims. I think i finally have a pretty solid (but boring) regimen to get me to my length goals.

I wish I had taken a pic at the salon yesterday, with my hair all afro'd out. I was so taken aback, like wow thats a lot of hair. I don't get to see my hair fro up like that at home bc I use really mild shampoos and keep my hair sectioned and stretched out all the time. i did take straight pics tho and will post those later.

I am 4b/a with fine porous strand. My stylists even made the comment that my hair is like a sponge; it is very porous.

eta: straight pics

Beautiful...!!! :gorgeous: :yep:

I wonder how long would my hair have to be to have enough hair to pull some two strand twists back into a banana clip? APL?

Back