~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Sorry for posting soo much today ladies BUT... Can someone tell me if I need to cut these scraggly ends off? The other curls I have are much tighter, Heat damage, Relaxed ends maybe?!

My ends kinda looked like this after I BC'd, I'm assuming the texture loosened from heat use during my transition. I cut some, and they still looked like that afterwards.

....So I'd say, don't cut them, unless they look split or feel damaged.

Thanks ladies.
Cheeky,

is there anywhere else to get that Mango Cupuacu Butter? I've checked her site every day to buy it, but every time I go to put it in my cart it goes back to the product page and says my cart is empty.

That's strange- I just tried putting it in my cart and it worked for me. She's the only one I know who makes this. You can buy mango & cupuacu butter separately from www.fromnaturewithlove.com and try mixing it up yourself but I wouldn't guarantee results.

I would try contacting Jennifer at Mozeke (the owner). She's very nice. :yep:

P.S.
Your puff made me drool.

I need help desperately! My natural has been breaking off in 1/4, 1/2 inches pieces for the last 2 1/2 years. I don't know what to do to stop it. :nono:

What is your regimen? How do you handle your hair (detangle, comb, etc). We need more info so we can figure out where you're going wrong

That's strange- I just tried putting it in my cart and it worked for me. She's the only one I know who makes this. You can buy mango & cupuacu butter separately from www.fromnaturewithlove.com and try mixing it up yourself but I wouldn't guarantee results.

I would try contacting Jennifer at Mozeke (the owner). She's very nice. :yep:

P.S.
Your puff made me drool.

Thanks! I just went back and tried and it's working for me now. I can't wait to try it!

Woo lawd @hairsothick.....you picked the right username!:yep: i cant wait to be able to make a puff! I have a general question....what are u using on your twists? And how long do they last?

Lol. That's the first thing people say when they see it, "girl your hair is so THICK!"

I usually twist on blown out hair using Aphogee Keratin Green Tea Reconstructurizer as a heat protectant. The only other thing I use when I do them is either olive oil or my shea butter mix (raw shea butter, olive oil, jojoba oil, and castor oil).

If my ends are curly enough, I fill a cup with water and olive oil and dip the ends in there in small sections or I dip them in water and twirl them with ecostyler. I prefer the olive oil method because it moisturizes my ends and doesn't leave them crunchy.

ETA: you'll be able to make a puff in no time.:yep:

I made my first batch of ayurvedic hair oil :grin:. I used coconut oil, almond oil, rice bran oil, 1 green tea bag, brahmi, bringraj, amla, and hibiscus powders, and warmed it all over low heat in a small crock pot for about 3-4 hours. It really smells nice and herbally, but not overly so. I will be massaging my scalp with it while I'm in my braids.

Last edited:
ahhh help. Since my BC my hair has been DRY DRY DRY...I mostly do co-wash with assuie moist deep condition with lastrasilk(from my relaxed days) and then air dry only if im not leaving the house (I live in CT) but I've noticed my hair has been total dry. I was at the bus station the other day and saw another woman with hair as short as mine and it was shiny and beautiful...I so wanted to go upto her...but the bus station is sketchy you can't go up to just anyone....yes im a closet punk :grin:

ahhh help. Since my BC my hair has been DRY DRY DRY...I mostly do co-wash with assuie moist deep condition with lastrasilk(from my relaxed days) and then air dry only if im not leaving the house (I live in CT) but I've noticed my hair has been total dry. I was at the bus station the other day and saw another woman with hair as short as mine and it was shiny and beautiful...I so wanted to go upto her...but the bus station is sketchy you can't go up to just anyone....yes im a closet punk :grin:

You may have product build-up. Try using a clarifying shampoo or something like Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe shampoo to remove excess product build-up and see if that helps.:look: This should help your cowashes and moisturizers to penetrate the hair shaft and become more effective.

I went to get my hair braided last night but she was only able to do half of it. I'll have to go back this evening and let her finish. They aren't as small as I wanted but I think I'll continue braiding for the rest of the year or atleast until summer. I believe my braider was afraid of my natural hair.:ohwell: Even though it was soft and detangled, she still seem somewhat intimidated by my kinks. I usually go to one of the african braid shops in my area but I decided to try to save money and try someone else. Next time, I think I may just pay the extra money and go to the braid shop. I really need to try to learn to braid my own hair so I can keep my money in my pocket.:wallbash:

I went to get my hair braided last night but she was only able to do half of it. I'll have to go back this evening and let her finish. They aren't as small as I wanted but I think I'll continue braiding for the rest of the year or atleast until summer. I believe my braider was afraid of my natural hair.:ohwell: Even though it was soft and detangled, she still seem somewhat intimidated by my kinks. I usually go to one of the african braid shops in my area but I decided to try to save money and try someone else. Next time, I think I may just pay the extra money and go to the braid shop. I really need to try to learn to braid my own hair so I can keep my money in my pocket.:wallbash:
I blew my hair out before braiding to help the comb slide through easier.

I blew my hair out before braiding to help the comb slide through easier.

I used a hot comb with mild heat to help. My hair is so thick, I believe my braider was overwhelmed with the amount of hair. She asked me what made me decide to go natural and I told her about the problems I had with relaxers (breakage and scalp irritation). Then she kept saying how she was good with relaxers. :huh: I'm like "no thanks".:nono:

Azure18- Thank you for responding. They just look so out of place, real scraggly looking. I guess I'll leave them be for now...
:hiya2:PYT- Glad to hear your puff came out great. Can't wait to see pictures.

Ok I did my first twist the other day ladies, I didn't get a chance to take pictures that day, so I re twisted for the next day and waa laa. I like the out come, it gives my puff more length and curl definition. I did play with it a little too much and it became frizzy, with a little work hopefully I can perfect it. However I don't like twisting it every night :sad:

Attachments

• photo-81.jpg
    photo-81.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 72
  • photo-80.jpg
    photo-80.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 67
  • photo-72.jpg
    photo-72.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Hi Ladies... Everyone's looking good :yep:

Foxglove, hairsothick - loving your hair. I'll take some hair pics soon... promise :)

Enjoy your weekend ladies

I've been deep conditioning with Suave Humectress mixed with oils (olive, castor, hemp) for the past few weeks and my hair feels amazingly soft! Going back to products with silicones has definitely made a difference in my hair. My curls are clumping better, and I have seen better moisture and length retention in the past six weeks. It has been three weeks since my last cassia treatment, so I'll be doing another one next Friday, and I may rollerset my hair in two weeks, depending on how I feel.

I can't believe that I'm almost 28 months post (tomorrow) and almost 11 months post BC (on the 23rd)!!!

i'm excited i can finally post in this thread! a few thoughts on being a newly natural:
i have no idea what styles to wear my hair in. its like a curly afro, but its too short to look good in a twist out (tried it and it looked bad or maybe its my skills) but i figured out how to do an afro puff. this might be my staple style until my hair grows long enough for me to feel comfortable to wear out or i might just braid it up in kinky twist.

i learned a lesson yesterday that i was protein sensitive relaxed and protein sensitive natural. :-( i bought some design essentials daily moisturizer from the salon, and didnt read the ingredients. well, wheat protein is in the top 5 ingredients, and i've noticed my hair shedding/breaking. its not alot, but noticeable, since i was just excited that i can finally run my hand through my hair and not have hair in my hands when im done.

on a positive note, detangling my hair (wet) is soo much easier now then when i was transitioning.

Supposed to be gettin our computer back pretty soon....will be sharing pics when we do :yep:....ive been wearing my hair in twists so....nothin extraordinary.

I took my hair down from the bun in my siggy on Friday night and braided my hair in about 10 braids with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. This morning, I unbraided and surprisingly had a very defined braidout. I twisted the front and left the back in a puff. My hair was so soft and defined the whole day. I may have to totally recant my former review of the Curl Enhancing Smoothie!

just realized i didnt include my info:
When you BCd...feb 5, 2011 last saturday

How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd...22 months.... but hair is really only12 months worth due to dominican blowouts and hair color

Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics...I think my hair is 4a. i used to think it was 4a/3c, but i think its mainly 4a. its fine, thick, and very very protein sensative, and loves moisture.

Your current regimen... i'm still trying to devlop a regimen. i usually wash every other day with hair veda amla cream rinse, and deep condition with steamer once weekly with various dc including stril nilla, shea moisture shea, or jessiecurl too shea. and reg conditioners include hairveda 24/7moist, ausie moist, or he hydralicious or hello hydration. im about to make my own shealoe and sheabutter mix, and ayurvedic hair spritz as soon as i get the ingredients.

Your favorite styles...all i can do is a wash n go and afro puff due to the length

Your current length and goal length: current: el/sl goal: wl

i'm excited i can finally post in this thread! a few thoughts on being a newly natural:
i have no idea what styles to wear my hair in. its like a curly afro, but its too short to look good in a twist out (tried it and it looked bad or maybe its my skills) but i figured out how to do an afro puff. this might be my staple style until my hair grows long enough for me to feel comfortable to wear out or i might just braid it up in kinky twist.

i learned a lesson yesterday that i was protein sensitive relaxed and protein sensitive natural. :-( i bought some design essentials daily moisturizer from the salon, and didnt read the ingredients. well, wheat protein is in the top 5 ingredients, and i've noticed my hair shedding/breaking. its not alot, but noticeable, since i was just excited that i can finally run my hand through my hair and not have hair in my hands when im done.

on a positive note, detangling my hair (wet) is soo much easier now then when i was transitioning.

Congratulations on your BC!
I am newly natural. And so lost :-(

:welcome4:

Hey fam! :wave:...just stoppin in to say i am 1 month completely natural today! :dance7:...:lol: and 9 months post relaxer.

Congratulations and keep up the good work, SmilingElephant!

Hey Ladies!

I just used up the last of my lustrasilk from my relaxed days the other day and I was thinking that instead of a DC since I really don't have any left and trying to figure out what to buy next, I'm going to do a hot oil treatment? Is it okay to do this with Coconut oil?

Back