~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Just need to vent so please bear with me...but I imagine I'll find someone who knows my pain.

So I tried out my new hair steamer today, HOORAY! So I decided to make it a hair spa day so I made ayurvedic tea of of some leftover powders from my ayurvedic days and pulled out my DC and started the process. I shampooed, used the tea, detangled with a cheapie conditioner, then DC under the steamer. After I was done, I sat down to moisturize and seal.

Well, while I was sectioning and adding my moisturizer I notice a few SSKs. No biggie, I've had these for a while and I know it comes with the territory of a lot of 4a's. But when I get to the middle of my head it was like all my strands had knots at the ends. I grabbed a pair of shears and go to work cutting them but of course a few normal strands get in the way. No big deal, I cut like a centimeter or less off but goodness, the amount of SSKs was ridiculous! I was sooooo frustrated. Actually, I still am.

I bought the steamer b/c I knew I had dry hair issues and hopefully as I continue with steamer I'll have less issues but it's frustrating especially when I would rather not use a blow dryer to stretch it out in order to avoid the knots. Even though i fee like blow drying it would invite new problems, I know stretching it would reduce the SSKs. But then I may lose my texture.

Anyway, thank you for letting me vent. :)

Aww, I know how you feel. I get SSK's all the time, but I stopped worrying about them since they are supposed to happen. I don't think you will lose your texture stretching.

Just need to vent so please bear with me...but I imagine I'll find someone who knows my pain.

So I tried out my new hair steamer today, HOORAY! So I decided to make it a hair spa day so I made ayurvedic tea of of some leftover powders from my ayurvedic days and pulled out my DC and started the process. I shampooed, used the tea, detangled with a cheapie conditioner, then DC under the steamer. After I was done, I sat down to moisturize and seal.

Well, while I was sectioning and adding my moisturizer I notice a few SSKs. No biggie, I've had these for a while and I know it comes with the territory of a lot of 4a's. But when I get to the middle of my head it was like all my strands had knots at the ends. I grabbed a pair of shears and go to work cutting them but of course a few normal strands get in the way. No big deal, I cut like a centimeter or less off but goodness, the amount of SSKs was ridiculous! I was sooooo frustrated. Actually, I still am.

I bought the steamer b/c I knew I had dry hair issues and hopefully as I continue with steamer I'll have less issues but it's frustrating especially when I would rather not use a blow dryer to stretch it out in order to avoid the knots. Even though i fee like blow drying it would invite new problems, I know stretching it would reduce the SSKs. But then I may lose my texture.

Anyway, thank you for letting me vent. :)

Yeah, SSKs are a pain, but keeping the hair stretched airdry (by braiding, twisting, banding etc.) and moisturized should help reduce them.

I have a tabletop steamer and I love it. It's really helps me retain moisture during the week. Plus, I find it relaxing. Hope you get good results too.

I still haven't gotten around to taking my braids out.:wallbash: I'll probably do it sometime this week. I bought Kinky Curly Knot Today from Target tonight and I can't wait to try it. I also purchased a jar of "Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque". I'm also thinking about trying that Kimmaytube leave-in condish recipe next week. Anyone using these products?

Almost 3 months post BC and tonight I was able to put my hair in a pony puff. Its small as all get out but it all stayed....Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the Kimmaytube leave-in recipe. I have tried it with the Knot Today and Giovanni Direct Leave In as the base and I love it either way. My hair stays moisturized and it makes my coils really defined. I purchased the Knot Today and the KCCC, but I plan on using them together for a wash-n-go once the weather gets warm.

The Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque was fantastic the first time I used it. My hair felt extremely soft and conditioned. Then, for whatever reason, it left a film or cast on my hair. But, all shea butter products do that to my hair. My hair always looks dull and gray after applying any product that is shea-based.

I hope they all work for you!

I still haven't gotten around to taking my braids out.:wallbash: I'll probably do it sometime this week. I bought Kinky Curly Knot Today from Target tonight and I can't wait to try it. I also purchased a jar of "Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque". I'm also thinking about trying that Kimmaytube leave-in condish recipe next week. Anyone using these products?

I love the Kimmaytube leave-in recipe. I have tried it with the Knot Today and Giovanni Direct Leave In as the base and I love it either way. My hair stays moisturized and it makes my coils really defined. I purchased the Knot Today and the KCCC, but I plan on using them together for a wash-n-go once the weather gets warm.

The Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque was fantastic the first time I used it. My hair felt extremely soft and conditioned. Then, for whatever reason, it left a film or cast on my hair. But, all shea butter products do that to my hair. My hair always looks dull and gray after applying any product that is shea-based.

I hope they all work for you!

I cosign on the above. I didn't have an issue with having a film on my hair after using the masque though. I also have some more Shea Moisture Products(Curl Enhancing Smoothis and Conditioning Curl & Style Milk) that I am waiting to use when the weather gets warmer too.

Hi Ladies... Nothing new to report here. I've been wearing my hair in a bunny tail all month. Few braids at night, moisturise and take them out every morning. I cowash and DC once a week (on Sundays).

Glad to see you're all doing well :yep:

I am so bored with my hair. I normally get braids or twists when I get like this but I know I'll be itching to take them out after a week so I don't want to waste the money. Straightening takes forever and it reverts before I'm even done straightening. Dunno what to do

Took my cornrows out and shampooed my hair. I'm attempting my first rollerset...I mainly want to just stretch my hair so that it will be easier to cornrow tomorrow...then back under my wig I go. I'll be wearing Juniper by Sensationnel now. My hair has grown a little bit...I'm currently trying out Shea Moisture Leave-In...verdict is still out.

Love your picture Ltown!! I'm still bunning as well. I did a stretched length check and my longest layer is at BSL, so if I straightened my hair it would probably be about an inch longer than when I stretched it. I am noticing some gravitational curl dropping, but I'm going to continue on my quest for health and length, and see what my curls look like when I reach my final goal.

I'm hoping to be WL by October (December at the latest), and then it's on to HL!!!

Hey ladies:wave: I'm still loving my natural hair, I just wish Summer would hurry up and get here so that I can do my first wash-n-go. I'll be 19 months post next week, I hope I can get a new camera so that I can really start to document my hair journey.

I'm tired of sitting for hours doing twists, so for a lil while I think I will co-wash and do up-do's and/or twist outs. I have a good amount of hair now so why not wear it out! :drunk:

I'm thinking of hiding my hair somehow. Braids...a weave...something. I'm getting bored with my hair too. It's like watching grass grow. :ohwell:

Just wait til summertime, Cheeky! We ain't gon be able to tell you nothin'! Sorry to go all ebonics on you :ohwell: lol

Hi, ladies. I forgot all about this thread. I'm newly natural as of 01/11/2011. I'm sooo happy I decided to chop at 17.5 mos as opposed to going through with a 36 month transition sans BC! I would have driven myself crazy dealing with 2 textures until then.

This makes the end of my 2nd transition in the last 3 years. First one was 9 mos in length (did it while preggs w/my daughter...ended in June '08. Texlaxed a few mos. later for convenience (and wished I hadn't b/c I'd have WL natural hair by now) [sigh]. Transition #2: July '09 to Jan. '11 (17.5 mos). HHG everyone!

I hope that you like the KCKT. It has become my staple leave-in. I use it with the curling custard and have been happy with the results.

I put in my first set of twists (extensions) by myself:yay: and was pleasantly pleased with the outcome. Everyone was complimenting me on them and kept asking where I got them done. They seemed so surprised that I did them myself. While putting in the twists I got this overwhelming want to straighten a little piece of my hair to see what it would do. OMG at how brittle my ends were and the amount of ssks. Oh well....I will try to keep them to a minimum and keep my hair as moisturized as I can. Everyone's hair is looking FABULOUS.

I attached pics of the twists...I know they aren't the greatest, but I'm really proud of myself

Attachments

• IMG_20110124_182513.jpg
    IMG_20110124_182513.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20110124_182805.jpg
    IMG_20110124_182805.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 48
I hope that you like the KCKT. It has become my staple leave-in. I use it with the curling custard and have been happy with the results.

I put in my first set of twists (extensions) by myself:yay: and was pleasantly pleased with the outcome. Everyone was complimenting me on them and kept asking where I got them done. They seemed so surprised that I did them myself. While putting in the twists I got this overwhelming want to straighten a little piece of my hair to see what it would do. OMG at how brittle my ends were and the amount of ssks. Oh well....I will try to keep them to a minimum and keep my hair as moisturized as I can. Everyone's hair is looking FABULOUS.

I attached pics of the twists...I know they aren't the greatest, but I'm really proud of myself

You got skills girl! :grin: What kind of hair did you use?

I am so bored with my hair. I normally get braids or twists when I get like this but I know I'll be itching to take them out after a week so I don't want to waste the money. Straightening takes forever and it reverts before I'm even done straightening. Dunno what to do

Try flexi-rods or curlformers!
I am going to buy some flexi-rods for
my bday and test them out on my friend's hair.
I'll be in braids Next week Saturday till late April.

Try flexi-rods or curlformers!
I am going to buy some flexi-rods for
my bday and test them out on my friend's hair.
I'll be in braids Next week Saturday till late April.

Hmm good point, I have perm rods and flexi rods from when I was transitioning...

Back