~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Hey ladies....i'm joining you now....i just BC'd yessterday and now.....i'm kind of waaaay to excited and not sure what to do next.

First of all....i need to figure out what to do about the front of my hair....it is super straight....it seems like its slllllooooowly starting to curl up:huh:

Besides that i know i want added moisture and i guess i could just use oil for shine....but i LOVE shine!:grin:...any tips for a natural newbie?

First of all....i need to figure out what to do about the front of my hair....it is super straight....it seems like its slllllooooowly starting to curl up:huh:

Welcome!! The front of my hair is a lil less curly than the rest so I got into the habit of flat twisting the front until it grew out some :yep: HTH.

I did some mini-esque twists last night. in pics they dont even look that small but they took 6 hrs so i kno they must be! :mad: I'll update yall later ladies ;)

Hey ladies....i'm joining you now....i just BC'd yessterday and now.....i'm kind of waaaay to excited and not sure what to do next.

Besides that i know i want added moisture and i guess i could just use oil for shine....but i LOVE shine!:grin:...any tips for a natural newbie?

For moisture I add 1-2 tbsp of raw honey to my DC's
ETA congrats on your BC!

:welcome:

Do you wear your hair pulled back a lot? If so, maybe you can leave it out or pin it to the side instead of pulling it all the way back.

I agree with foxglove's recommendation.

I've been wearing my wig pretty much nonstop with my hair cornrowed underneath. I've been a bad girl when it comes to moisturizing, sealing and, gasp, dcing (usually I'm on point with my dc's no matter what). Out of sight, out of my mind, I guess.

Anyways, I was missing my hair so I put in some twists last week. I freshened them up this weekend. Today I'm wearing them in a messy bun.
5352362239_68b24e9265_m.jpg

I've also been wearing low buns.
I unraveled one of my twists and did an impromptu length check.
5352973632_ec6fabefff_m.jpg

I want to try to do a flexirod set. Then back under the wig I go. :yawn:

:welcome:

Do you wear your hair pulled back a lot? If so, maybe you can leave it out or pin it to the side instead of pulling it all the way back.

I agree with foxglove's recommendation.

Thanx ladies for the tips!!:yep:

You know what andromeda....i do wear my hair pulled back alot. But....i don't know how to style it where i can leave the whole front section of my hair out....i mean the WHOLE front section...if i part from temple to temple.....isnt curling up....so if i just leave it out....it looks uber crazy:drunk:

Hi, ladies! I'm proud to say that I can finally join this club! I BC'd, and I'm so HAPPY and thankful I did. No more long trials of detangling texlaxed and natural hair. I don't have pics of my fully natural hair up yet. Attempts to attach transitioning pic before my BC (showing natural texture) have failed, so I will check back in later to post natural pics.

Last edited:

You know what andromeda....i do wear my hair pulled back alot. But....i don't know how to style it where i can leave the whole front section of my hair out....i mean the WHOLE front section...if i part from temple to temple.....isnt curling up....so if i just leave it out....it looks uber crazy:drunk:

Congrats on your BC and welcome to you and Jewell. :yay:
For the front that isn't curling for you, maybe you could two strand twist it for now (kinda like in my siggie pic without the bunnytail ofcourse) and then untwist it when you wear your hair out.

..... Congratulations to the New naturals!

Pretty styles StephElise, Foxglove, MA2010, Klerali, andromeda, flawed beauty!I'll update at the end of the month before I get in braids

I decided that I wanted to add cassia treatments to my regimen in 2011. I mixed 100 grams of cassia (way too much, i froze the excess) with a couple squirts of conditioner and my oil mix. It was very easy to apply, and everything I've read has suggested that you get the maximum amount of conditioning from cassia in one hour, so after the hour I rinsed using some cheapie conditioner. It rinsed very easily (bought the cassia form hennasooq, very powdery, no twigs) and now I'm deep conditioning under my dryer for another hour. I plan on doing a cassia treatment once a month. My hair felt so good after I rinsed it.

Patiently waiting until March or April when I will finally start experimenting with wash and go's. I will have 30 months of natural hair in March, and I'm hoping that will be enough hair for my wash and go to hang at a length that I feel comfortable with. We shall see...

Just stopping in to say hi, to everyone! I'm still going strong, I'll be 6 months post BC on the 31st. I'll post a pic when I get home tonight!

I've noticed that I need to up my dc - I have yet to find the right products for my hair.
Also, does anyone know of a way to loosen the curl a bit, I have quite a bit of shrinkage. It seems like my hair is growing out rather than down.

BBL!

Everyone's hair is gorgeous! I love being natural!

Just stopping in to say hi, to everyone! I'm still going strong, I'll be 6 months post BC on the 31st. I'll post a pic when I get home tonight!

I've noticed that I need to up my dc - I have yet to find the right products for my hair.
Also, does anyone know of a way to loosen the curl a bit, I have quite a bit of shrinkage. It seems like my hair is growing out rather than down.

BBL!

Everyone's hair is gorgeous! I love being natural!

Check out this thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...htening-loosing-curl-pattern-4b-naturals.html

Ahhh, okay. That would look crazy. :scratchch: If you want it to blend with the rest of your hair, you can set on perm rods or flexi rods but I'm sure you already know about all that as a transitioner. Maybe you could pin up it in a bouffant. Also, when your wearing a bun, instead of putting all the hair back into one bun, you can make a ponytail out of the front section and a ponytail out of the rest of the hair and then combine the two into a bun (depending on how long your hair is).

Hey guys! I'm a new member, finally joined after 3 years of lurking LOL!

When you BCd -- December 30th 2010. It was kind of on a whim... I thought about it for a while and by bf was like 'Do it you've been talking about it for months!' so I drove to my friends how, borrowed her shears, and started chopping!
How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd -- almost four months.
Have you been natural before? When? Until I was 10. And then again from 13-15 because I wore back to back weaves. My natural hair was SL but it looked so busted! :nono: So I permed it, but never cut off the dead ends :nono:
Your hair type -- I'm pretty sure I'm 4a, with a mix of 4b and 3c stands. I'm not sure about anything else though LOL.
Your current regimen -- cowash daily with whatever I have, poo every sunday. After I cowash, I leave a little conditioner and add a little cantu shea butter leave-in to define the curls, then add ecostyler. I'm not sure how good or bad this regi is for my hair, but it makes my hair look good :lol:
Your favorite styles -- Wash and go for now, cant do anything else yet with my TWA
Your current length and goal length about 2 inches stretched all around. Goal legnth is SL by 12/01/11

attached is a pic from new years day :)

Attachments

• Snapshot_20110101_8.JPG
    Snapshot_20110101_8.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 45
Ahhh, okay. That would look crazy. :scratchch: If you want it to blend with the rest of your hair, you can set on perm rods or flexi rods but I'm sure you already know about all that as a transitioner. Maybe you could pin up it in a bouffant. Also, when your wearing a bun, instead of putting all the hair back into one bun, you can make a ponytail out of the front section and a ponytail out of the rest of the hair and then combine the two into a bun (depending on how long your hair is).

:lachen:.....i cannot make a bun at all! My hair is now NL/CBL I could rock a frohawk but i dont know how to get the sides to stay tight enough.....going to look for youtube videos....

Thanx for your help though!!....:hug3:

I need a DC that does grandiose things....:sekret:....my hair in the back is sooooo dry.....i need some soft cottony feely feel. I just ordered some of that Banana Hibiscus deep condtioner by Curl Junkie yesterday and i bought some of their Curl in a Bottle...i read lots of reviews so....i'm hoping this gets me somewhere.

I need to redo my whole regimen now it seems. I'm so used to co washing every 2 days and then shampoo/DC on the weekends....

Now it seems i need to co-wash everyday, DC once a week and moisturize more than twice a week.....esp for the back...the front of my hair seems to like what the back needs MORE of so......i'm hoping i dont have to buy products for both textures of my hair.....except for when it comes to styling.

I have NO idea what my type is....i dont even wanna think about guessing it yet:lachen:....i honestly feel like i'm on another planet!!!:abducted:...:lol:...a nice one but a new one:yep:

Hey ladies, Just wanted to say this weekend makes me 1 year post relaxer! I'm in a weave right now so I have no current pics but maybe I can post some from december when I get home. I'm more of a lurker still but I hope to start posting more, hopefully in the summer I'll feel comfortable to wear my hair out more.

anyways thanks for all the great hair and tips in this thread sofar!

Well, I flat-ironed my hair at the request of my sis-in-law, because she's planning my mini nuptuals set for next month, and she wanted to see how it would look. I went ahead and did it, but I told her I'm not wearing my hair straight for my wedding:look:. I don't like how it looks, probably because it's still too short my for taste, but it actually looks just as straight as my relaxed hair did. Of course I used a ton of heat protectant and kept my iron at 375. I like my curls n kinks better...

Attachments

• Photo on 2011-01-15 at 14.17.jpg
    Photo on 2011-01-15 at 14.17.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 65
I put my hair in two braids for the night because I have a major headache and a bun would be too much pressure. Naturally, I took a picture, and then remembered when I tried to brain my hair last April and thought my hair would never be long enough to braid again.

I attached the pictures. (1) April 2010 and (2) January 2011

Last edited:
Today is my 1 year naturalversary(don't know the right way to spell it):lachen:

It's been challenging and still is, I bun most of the time as I have 3 type hair and 3 different textures. Some would say nice but it's really hard to style hair that straight, and curly. I've send $$ on products throught out the year but finally narrowing down.

I don't like pomades/butters, I used creamy leave-ins right now kckt is my favorites, ceramides oils(walnut, grapeseed, sesame, safflower, etc) helps me retain moistures. I can rock a twist/braidout on dry hair.

I don't straight much all never liked my hair just straight, now that it's grown I'm border SL/APL I don't like my hair to touch my face:lol:

I have updates in my album.

HHJ!

What are you all using to keep your fros soft? I've been using my Seyani Hair butter and some jojoba oil to seal it in after co washing or simply water washing and it'll stay soft for a few hours....well, the front anyway:look:

The back is a desert!:grin:

I'm using Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream to moisturize. So far after trying out Miss Jessie's (too greasy) MyHoneyChild Twist Cream (not moisturizing enough) Aveda Pommade (smells strong) and my own shea/aloe mix (not enough moisture) this stuff seems to be working. I've also realized I need a leave-in so I've been trying out HH LTR (pretty good stuff) and Giovanni Leave in (ok).

Hi, ladies! I'm proud to say that I can finally join this club! I BC'd, and I'm so HAPPY and thankful I did. No more long trials of detangling texlaxed and natural hair. I don't have pics of my fully natural hair up yet. Attempts to attach transitioning pic before my BC (showing natural texture) have failed, so I will check back in later to post natural pics.

WAIT what?!! I did not see this announcement in the transitioning threads...off to stalk your posts.....and congrats!:yep:

Heyyyyyy Cheeky!!! *waves*

Hi! :wavey:

This thread is so inspiring! :yep: When I BC last May I was taking pictures on a weekly basis and after seeing all the beautiful heads in here I think I need to start taking pictures again.

I feel like my hair is growing so slowly! I want to get to a length with more style options. Right now, when I put twists in I go back to TWA length. :ohwell: I usually wear puffs or braid outs right now.

Last edited:
Hi! :wavey:

This thread is so inspiring! :yep: When I BC last May I was taking pictures on a weekly basis and after seeing all the beautiful heads in here I think I need to start taking pictures again.

I feel like my hair is growing so slowly! I want to get to a length with more style options. Right now, when I put twists in I go back to TWA length. :ohwell: I usually wear puffs or braid outs right now.

ETA:

I took some pics with my cell phone. :grin:

It's not a puff but it's too far back to be a headband but I like to wear like this sometimes. :)

Hey, I had my BC back in May too and we're about the same length. Actually, your hair might be a bit longer than mine. But you look like you're progressing nicely!

Back