~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

^^^StephElise you and your hair look gorgeous! You are really coming into your own with all your styles. Boy I wish I could flat twist...

StephElise and TriniChutney - gorgeous, just gorgeous!!! :love3:

The styles turned out lovely and you guys both have the most clear, radiant skin. :yep:

Good Morning! I am 2 days into the natural side! I need to take sometime and read through this thread so that I can learn as much as possible!

OMG...there are some beautiful heads of hair in here!!!

Thank you chica.
So I did the twists. Took me forever it seems. I think it's because I wanted the parts just right kinda like a fan....starting small to a point at the hair line and them widening out like a fan kinda like a V shape. I secured with ouchless goodie hair ties not rubber bands. I also decided to leave the back out for a night out. I'll probably two strand twist the rest for work later in the week.

I love it!! Looks beautiful..... style jacking :sekret:

Welcome divinefavor!!! Lots of great info and style ideas in here.

Last edited:
im new the site and already a big fan :fan:, my aunt passed over her account to me since she doesnt get on:bouncegre
When you BCd end of June 2010
How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd -9 months
Your hair type= medium thick hair-coiley
Your current regimen -currently hiding my hair in braids and weaves =) stil stick to cowashes thou
Your favorite styles-hmmmmm dont have one :(
Your current length and goal length -4inches stretch, short term goal- chin length, lon g term goal-apl by july of 2010?!? hmmm
btw im 17 soo im tempted to texlax---hellppppppp :)

I swear the tiniest things make me excited. This past week I've started wearing my Ficcare clips again because they don't totally swallow my bun anymore! And this morning in the shower I realized that I don't have to roll my eyes upwards to see the hair in the front when I'm detangling, it hangs low enough to see it without straining my eyes. It really is the little things.

Even with those signs of growth I'm starting to get a little anxious. In between stages always feel as though they take the longest.

At what length do you guys think you'll start to stress about length less? My guess is BSL.

StephElise and TriniChutney ...you ladies did a beautiful job with your twistouts!!! What products did each of you use to set the twists?

Good Morning! I am 2 days into the natural side! I need to take sometime and read through this thread so that I can learn as much as possible!

OMG...there are some beautiful heads of hair in here!!!

Welcome!!!

im new the site and already a big fan :fan:, my aunt passed over her account to me since she doesnt get on:bouncegre
When you BCd end of June 2010
How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd -9 months
Your hair type= medium thick hair-coiley
Your current regimen -currently hiding my hair in braids and weaves =) stil stick to cowashes thou
Your favorite styles-hmmmmm dont have one :(
Your current length and goal length -4inches stretch, short term goal- chin length, lon g term goal-apl by july of 2010?!? hmmm
btw im 17 soo im tempted to texlax---hellppppppp :)
welcome! You've got a head start on things! I wish I had found this site when I was 17. :yep:

How long were you relaxed before you made the decision to go natural? Why are you tempted to texlax? What issues have you encountered in your natural journey that have you re-thinking your decision? Do you feel like your current length limits your styling options or that you're in a rut right now?

Just trying to get an idea of your scenario so I can give the appropriate advice.:)

StephElise and TriniChutney ...you ladies did a beautiful job with your twistouts!!! What products did each of you use to set the twists?

Thank you. And thanks to everyone who thought it came out well. Trini you go head and hijack it gurl. Make sure you post pics!
I did my twists on freshly conditoned hair after a henna(DC and cowash). My main products was Extra Butter by Uncle Funky's Daughter. This stuff smells so divine and is sooo moisturizing. Then I added just a dab of ecostyler gel at the edge to start the twist. I did it just like home boy in the youtube vid. Start it off really small and then add a little hair as I go. Yeah I'll be doing this one for a while. I really like it.:lick:

Last edited:

Thank you! I used elasta qp mango butter and sealed with shea butter (on co-washed wet hair). The last time I used shea moisture curl smoothie. It didn't come out good with shea moisture but that's because it was damp when I took it down. I'll try the shea moisture again next time.

I bc'd Feb 2010 and was 6 months post. I'll be a yr post 8-9-10!!!! I believe I am 4b with super tight small coils so my hair shrinks all the way up!! My current regimen is washing, deep conditioning (protein or moisturizing) airdrying and then flatironing.I dont like straight hair so I wear it in a braidout. Also the humidity makes it fluffy which I like even better!! I moisturize with shea moisture lotion or miss jessie's baby buttercreme; I seal with castor oil 99% of the time or shea butter and I rebraid every night.

I don't know how to stop the single stand knots from forming and breaking, so I'll flatiron until figure it out.Favorite styles while curly...still braidouts or twistouts. The back of my hair is past SL and the sides are a little past chin length. I have a fotki that I haven't updated in a while but its...fotki.com/Nur2009

I have been clipping straight relaxed ends like CRAZY!!!
They are the most irritating things in the world.
They won't curl, won't bend, NUFFIN!!!

I cut most of the color out of my twtwa too.
We gon fix that when I get back to AZ though.

I still love my hair though.
No turning back for me!!!

Thank you chica.
So I did the twists. Took me forever it seems. I think it's because I wanted the parts just right kinda like a fan....starting small to a point at the hair line and them widening out like a fan kinda like a V shape. I secured with ouchless goodie hair ties not rubber bands. I also decided to leave the back out for a night out. I'll probably two strand twist the rest for work later in the week.

August2010A004-vi.jpg

August2010A007-vi.jpg

August2010A006-vi.jpg

Steph, you are always on point with your styling transitioning and now natural. I love this, actually I'm HATER with :hugxplode:. I'm still style transitioning trying to figure out what products :pullhair:will give me a twist/braidout. Well as of today 7 months natural I finally figure out shea products :nono: don't do it. I have 3 textures so now I got to figure out what/how much. Beautiful lady and hair:notworthy

I'm only 5 months post and planned to transition for a year, but after going through this thread, I'm so looking forward to being natural so I'm planning to BC at Christmas.

I'm so jealous of all of you and your creative styles!
I just wear WnG's.. And sometimes I'll pull back a section with a bobby pin to change things up. :look:
Braid outs and twist outs simply don't end up looking good on my hair. They end up looking dry, and not curly, just an unraveled braid. I'll try again when it gets colder and I won't be able to cowash in the morning anymore.

So for now I'll try to work with what I can do and ordered a diffuser. I've seen a lot of youtubers get their WnG's to look fuller and longer.
I'll report back with results as soon as I've tried it!

I swear the tiniest things make me excited. This past week I've started wearing my Ficcare clips again because they don't totally swallow my bun anymore! And this morning in the shower I realized that I don't have to roll my eyes upwards to see the hair in the front when I'm detangling, it hangs low enough to see it without straining my eyes. It really is the little things.

Even with those signs of growth I'm starting to get a little anxious. In between stages always feel as though they take the longest.

At what length do you guys think you'll start to stress about length less? My guess is BSL.

Same here! I was cowashing, turned my head, and my hair swept from the back to the front of my shoulder.
I was like :blush:!! and turning my head again and again knowing that I hadn't felt that in a long time. :lachen:

Then I decided, if my hair had grown.. :scratchch I could maybe make a decent looking bun.

Foto-Q4LBUNBS-D.jpg

It's still wet in this pic, and in stead of expanding it actually shrank up on me. :rolleyes:
But still, I was happy. Not a great protective style because my ends are either out or directly under my hairtie, but I like the option of wearing a bun!

@ANDROMEDA-welcome! You've got a head start on things! I wish I had found this site when I was 17.

How long were you relaxed before you made the decision to go natural? Why are you tempted to texlax? What issues have you encountered in your natural journey that have you re-thinking your decision? Do you feel like your current length limits your styling options or that you're in a rut right now?

Just trying to get an idea of your scenario so I can give the appropriate advice

ME-I WAS TEXLAXING TIL I TURNED 14-AND MY STYLIST OVER PROCESSED MY HAIR:wallbash: IVE WENT WITH OUT A RELAXER FOR 9 MONTHS BEFORE DECIDING TO GO NATURAL..I WANNA TEX LAX MY HAIR SO THAT IT WOULD BE MORE EASIER TO MANAGAE..AND YESS I ABSOLUTELY FEEL LIKE MY LENGTH IS LIMITING MY STYLING OPTIONS SOO THATS WHY I ALWAYS WEAR BRAID OR WEAVES :ohwell:

ME-I WAS TEXLAXING TIL I TURNED 14-AND MY STYLIST OVER PROCESSED MY HAIR:wallbash: IVE WENT WITH OUT A RELAXER FOR 9 MONTHS BEFORE DECIDING TO GO NATURAL..I WANNA TEX LAX MY HAIR SO THAT IT WOULD BE MORE EASIER TO MANAGAE..AND YESS I ABSOLUTELY FEEL LIKE MY LENGTH IS LIMITING MY STYLING OPTIONS SOO THATS WHY I ALWAYS WEAR BRAID OR WEAVES :ohwell:

OK, I figured it was a manageability and length issue. You have to give it time and learn how to manage it. I used to think my hair was unmanageable, but it wasn't - I just didn't know how to manage it. I remember getting my weave taken out when I was your age. I had let my hair grow out natural undernath it after having a short, colored relaxed cut. I marveled at the huge mass of natural hair - it looked awesome but I just couldn't fathom dealing with it. If only I had found this forum back then.

Given your current length and temptation to texlax, protective styles likes braids and weaves can be a blessing and a curse. A blessing because those styles will help you retain more length and will give you a break from the frustration of dealing with your own hair. A curse because they're depriving you of opportunities to learn how to deal with your own hair and might lead to you resenting your hair even more.

As far as styling options for your current length - yes, your options are limited but there might be some options and techniques that you haven't explored yet. I skipped the twa stage but twist outs, flat twisting the front of your hair and using accessories seem to be the go-to options. I'm sure there are threads here on styling short natural hair, as well as many fotkis feautring such styles. I think curlynikki.com also had some posts on styling TWAs and, of course, there's always YouTube.

If you're not comfortable with wearing your natural hair in a TWA, then maybe you can wear wigs. Wearing wigs would allow you to have access to your own hair and give you more chances to learn how to manage and experiment with styling it within your comfort zone - without the pressure of having to get to it "right". Four inches sounds like it's enough hair to cornrow underneath a wigs.

Some quick tips for managing your hair:
  • Do everything in sections and be thorough.
  • Keep it moisturized. Well-moisturized hair is easier to manage than brittle, dry hair.
  • Handle it gently and carefully, as you would handle fine silk or cashmere.
  • Be patient.
  • When detangling, work from the bottom up and work on hair that is lubricated (with oil or conditioner). I like to use to start detangling with my fingers and end with my wide toothed comb. Removing shed hair is very important but it's also important that you not obsess over your hair staying perfectly detangled.
  • Be patient.
  • Keep a journal of what products and techniques you use so that when your hair feels and look real nice, you'll be able to pinpoint what worked.

Like I said, your age gives you a headstart. I think you should give this natural thing a year, at least. You've already set a long-term goal for yourself. Visualize having a head full of lush, natural apl hair and keep that image in your mind, esp when you get frustrated. Browse fotkis and youtubes for people with your texture who have your goal length. Spend some time searching the forums - it's really a treasure trove of information. Know that this is a journey and that you have lots of support.:yep:

I know I have some inspirational/helpful threads bookmarked, so I'll be back with those. eta: Here are some to get started with:
Newbie Manual - links to important/useful threads
Please Read This Before Buying Anything Else
Natural Short-Mid Length Style Photo Thread
Naturals - Show Off One Year of Growth
How Did You Build Your Hair Regimen?
Naturals: WORST mistakes you ever made as a natural?
- might as well learn from other people's mistakes now:)

Any other ladies (esp those w/ hair ~4 inches of hair) want to chime in with suggestions?

Last edited:
Grand Prix your bun looks so nice! My next "bun goal" is to be able to make a messy bun on dry hair, and not need wet hair to make a semi- decent looking bun. I work out in the mornings before I cowash, and right now I've been working out in two low pigtail buns, but I'd love to just throw my hair up in one bun and go. I'm hoping that's possible by the end of the year.

I can't wait to see pictures of your hair diffused!

Ladies I'm on the internets lol

I'm on the August now and then feature on bglhonline.com

I'm under ev'yan I believe that's her name, she's the model looking chick

I did the BC almost 6 months ago and I'm just perfecting the WNG with KCCC. I tried twist-outs but they came out horrible every time.

My mom just had a setback after using some cheap weave for crochets, so she basically just BC'd from her TWA. She told me she just put in a texturizer "because it will be cute". I'm like :wallbash: WTF! I'm realizing I'm kinda anti-chemical now :look:

Hi everyone! I have been natural about 3 weeks now. I really love it.

I had been relaxed since I was about 6-7 up until 24 and I'm glad I let it go. The longest my hair ever was = APL and I hope to go beyond that natural.

I'm rocking the TWA now and figuring out a good regimen at the moment, but I have to say it's been a good experience so far.

Congrats to all the new naturals!

Back