~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

It hasn't even been a week and I got sick of the twists so I attempted an updo this morning. I chickened out at the last minute so I took the updo down. I'll attempt an updo with a banana clip in the next couple of days
IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg
IMG_0756.jpg

I like it! :grin:

I love the coils, Fox!

And the other styles too!
You ladies are doing a great job!

I will be glad when I can do something like these styles.

I am so busy clipping off relaxed ends
it will be a couple of months before I will
be able to leave the scissors alone COMPLETELY.

But there's no turning back for me!!!

I'm 3 months post BC today!:yay::superbanana: I'm also 15 months post relaxer!:grin: I decided to wear a frohawk today. I'm not sure how I feel about it, I guess I'm just not used to it. I'll probably wear it again tomorrow.:ohwell:

Can someone tell me if using Organic Root Simulator's
Nourishing Sheen Spray is good on natural hair please

:(

I think you would be better off using pure olive oil instead of this product. The first ingredient listed is mineral oil which sits on your hair unlike olive oil which is much more beneficial because it can penetrate the hair follicles.

My very back layer is about 2.5 - 3 inches from BSL!! My goal for this year was to be close to BSL by Christmas, and I think I can make it! The next 5 months will definitely be full of cowashing and bunning so I can retain every inch I grow.

I am a little nervous about what my hair will look like when it's straight. The front of my hair is now too long to be considered a "bang" so I'm worried I'll have a mullet with my severe layers. Oh well, I guess I'll see what it looks like when I get there.

It hasn't even been a week and I got sick of the twists so I attempted an updo this morning. I chickened out at the last minute so I took the updo down. I'll attempt an updo with a banana clip in the next couple of days
Nice style! :yep: I think you have just as many (actually more, considering the length) styling options with mini twists as you do with loose hair. They're very versatile!

eta: Oh yeah, I meant to ask all the ladies who are wearing twists for a prolonged time (week+) - how often are you DCing and how do you go about it? Or do the twists lock in moisture to an extent that DCing isn't necessary? I haven't tried DCing on twists yet but it seems like it would be a nuisance.

Last edited:
I'm getting so bored with the twists. I just threw on a headband today. I may take them out tonight or this weekend. I want to play with my hair. Somebody talk me out of taking them out lol. They're so convenient bc in the morning all I do is get them wet in the shower and run some coconut oil then KCCC or curl activating gel through them. They are starting to get a little fuzzy/janky though. Decisions decisions...
IMG_0760.jpg

I wish my shrunken length was long enough to put them in a bun but oh well, maybe in a few years :lol:

Last edited:
@Foxglove I wish I would have seen your post earlier (they had me earning my paycheck at work today). I would have tried to talk you out of taking out your twists!!! What happened to keeping them in for a month?!?! The twist out looks cute though!

^^Boredom. I'm on an elective this month and haven't made many friends here yet so I'm home a lot with nothing to do

So far, I only keep my twists in for one week at a time, and I feel like in order to keep them longer i WOULD have to wet them somehow. I'm so scared they will unravel if I try to co-wash.

So far, I only keep my twists in for one week at a time, and I feel like in order to keep them longer i WOULD have to wet them somehow. I'm so scared they will unravel if I try to co-wash.
They won't unravel. I :love: how my twists look after I cowash them, they get so plump and juicy <--- :lol:

^^Boredom. I'm on an elective this month and haven't made many friends here yet so I'm home a lot with nothing to do
I would have tried to talk you out too.. you spent a lot of time doing them. I love the twistout though :yep: Your hair's sooo like mine :yep: Maybe that's why I like it so much ;)

Nice style! :yep: I think you have just as many (actually more, considering the length) styling options with mini twists as you do with loose hair. They're very versatile!

eta: Oh yeah, I meant to ask all the ladies who are wearing twists for a prolonged time (week+) - how often are you DCing and how do you go about it? Or do the twists lock in moisture to an extent that DCing isn't necessary? I haven't tried DCing on twists yet but it seems like it would be a nuisance.

I haven't DC'd this week but will be doing so tonight... when I had my last set in for 2 weeks, I cowashed 2-3 times a week and DC'd on one of those days. It's an easy process, I just apply it as I would to loose hair and it's actually easier and i end up using less :yep:. The conditioner rinses out really easily, I cowash, then I apply my leave in, moisturising spritz and some shea butter and job done :)

I twisted my fro once and did a cowash and they just went kaput! My little braids do the same thing too so I can only wear them for a week which sucks b/c they're so darn many of them.

I've been so lazy with my hair lately. WNG puffs mostly and some curly Fros on the side. I think I'll do some flat twists tonight for a twist out.

So far, I have failed with my 30 day personal twist challenge. I made it to day 9, which is a record breaker for me. So I'm doing puffs. (Oh, and I don't even have to stretch my hair for puffs anymore...its long enough by itself. YAY :grin:)

But in other news....

I showed my new boyfriend my natural hair for the first time. He looked at me, held my face up to his and said:

"Wow, your hair...It's so beautiful and nice. I like it much better this way. Its so you. Keep it!"

Mind you, he has a thick French/African accent but that statement came out sooo clear. I was "souped" all night. Gosh, I know my luck with men but I really hope this one lasts :kiss2::cloud9:

I am having a hard time fully rinsing conditioner out of my hair. Is that a porosity issue? I stopped doing acv rinses but am back doing so and I am noticing it is a bit easier.

I am having a hard time fully rinsing conditioner out of my hair. Is that a porosity issue? I stopped doing acv rinses but am back doing so and I am noticing it is a bit easier.
Sounds like build-up since the issue has dissipated since clarifying. I like to use high power showerhead, preferably a hand-held.
So far, I have failed with my 30 day personal twist challenge. I made it to day 9, which is a record breaker for me. So I'm doing puffs. (Oh, and I don't even have to stretch my hair for puffs anymore...its long enough by itself. YAY :grin:)

But in other news....

I showed my new boyfriend my natural hair for the first time. He looked at me, held my face up to his and said:

"Wow, your hair...It's so beautiful and nice. I like it much better this way. Its so you. Keep it!"

Mind you, he has a thick French/African accent but that statement came out sooo clear. I was "souped" all night. Gosh, I know my luck with men but I really hope this one lasts :kiss2::cloud9:
:love: Awww, that put a smile on my face. :)

I haven't DC'd this week but will be doing so tonight... when I had my last set in for 2 weeks, I cowashed 2-3 times a week and DC'd on one of those days. It's an easy process, I just apply it as I would to loose hair and it's actually easier and i end up using less :yep:. The conditioner rinses out really easily, I cowash, then I apply my leave in, moisturising spritz and some shea butter and job done :)
Thanks, that makes sense now that you've explained it and I've thought it about it a bit more. I usually use an applicator bursh to apply dc, so I'll just do use my hands when I'm dcing on twists and squish the twists to make sure it saturates the hair. It should actually be an easier time of rinsing compared to when I was dcing on my cornrows.

foxglove, your mini twist out looks nice! I find that hair pins are a big help in styling twists. I like to use them to do pompadours/bouffants or to pin my hair up or to the side. I recently got the goody spin pin but I have yet to try out on my twists (or my loose hair). As I said before, twists are very versatile - like many other mediums, I've found (and observed) that creativity with hairstyling actually increases when there are parameters in place. I know it's hard to experiment with such a busy schedule but playing with your hair will get your creative juices flowing.

i swear sometimes i feel like my hair is a hardheaded teenager and im a fed up parent. Dont make me blowdry ya ***!!!

But i digress. Im still learning.

I like that style too. Steph I love the puff in your avi!

Thank you chica.
So I did the twists. Took me forever it seems. I think it's because I wanted the parts just right kinda like a fan....starting small to a point at the hair line and them widening out like a fan kinda like a V shape. I secured with ouchless goodie hair ties not rubber bands. I also decided to leave the back out for a night out. I'll probably two strand twist the rest for work later in the week.

August2010A004-vi.jpg

August2010A007-vi.jpg

August2010A006-vi.jpg

Back