~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Braidout from last week. (I think I like braidouts better than twistouts now that I have more length):

You can see some color from the henna.

I decided to henna again this week. This is first time I've hennaed 2x in one month, usually I do 1x a month. Hair after henna:

#blowoutfail. I don't remember the last time I blow-dried. My technique was wrong and I took forever. I realized towards the end that my hair should be super-detangled and I should use this comb (instead of my hands)
SBS-345868
to hold my hair for the tension method. Results:

I was rushing toward the end to go somewhere and by the time I got home, my hair wasn't straight enough to trim (probably wasn't in the first place), so I still haven't trimmed. :look:

I've been wearing my hair up in a bun but since my temples are so sensitive and can't tolerate the least bit of tension, I decided to do a flat twist updo this morning. (I actually started doing mini twists last night but by row #2 I remembered that I pledged to stay away from them since they're high manipulation.)

andromeda you have alot of hair!

I love that updo. My problem is twisting upwards in the back. How in the heck do you do that?! :lol: My hands get funky and forgets how to function. :lol:

Braidout from last week. (I think I like braidouts better than twistouts now that I have more length):

I LURVE THE BLOWOUT!
Shrinkage is an amazing thing, hides sooo much of
your length! And I am gonna need you to change your siggy,
I am sure you have more than 8 inches of hair!:lol:
Are you APL?

@andromeda you have alot of hair!

I love that updo. My problem is twisting upwards in the back. How in the heck do you do that?! :lol: My hands get funky and forgets how to function. :lol:
While I was blowdrying my hair, I was actually thinking, "I'm glad my hair isn't dense because dealing with it would be even more laborious." I just don't have a patient spirit. :nono: I don't know how some of these ladies do it! The upside of blow-drying not-so-straight is that it looks like I have more hair than I do.

My hands do the same thing when twisting upwards! I don't have good coordination anyways and I'm sure if I were take a close-up of the flat-twists, they prob look janky. At one point, I bent over with the crown of my head facing the floor so that my hands were twisting downward.
I LURVE THE BLOWOUT!
Shrinkage is an amazing thing, hides sooo much of
your length! And I am gonna need you to change your siggy,
I am sure you have more than 8 inches of hair!:lol:
Are you APL?
Thanks! I'll get around to changing my siggy one day. Hopefully, no one will try to roll up on me in a tense ET or OT thread, like "chick, you BC'd how long ago and you still NL? Just saying." Cuz then I'll whip out a current pic and be like, "Ta-dow, how you like me now?!?" :lachen:

Here's an impromptu length check from 2 weeks ago. I don't think I'm full APL; my hair is uneven. I'm going to measure at my nape, crown, temple and front before I go back under my wig.

I've had my mini twists in for two weeks AND I LOVE THEM! This may become my staple style for a while. I rinsed them a few days ago because I couldnt take water not being on my scalp any longer. I then put Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque on them and castor oil. To my suprise, they didnt come apart nor did they mat together! I'll probably take them out next week for a twist out on the weekend, but they are going right back in after that. This is such a low-mani style and keeps my hair tangle free. Couldnt get much better than that.

Here are some pics of my rinsed twists.

DSCN1331-vi.jpg

DSCN1337-vi.jpg

Andro-Your BSL from the pics!
Miryoku your twists are FAB! I can't wait to wash and henna my own!
Foxxy, where you been?! I love your sig pic!
I'm loving everyones hair! I feel like during the spring/summer more naturals
show off their hair more!

How has everyone been? It's been awhile since I've posted. I've been in twists for about 4 weeks now and am lovin' it. The only down side is that I really miss my hair. I'm trying to decide how long to leave them in. My grey roots are starting to show big time.

How long do you guys usually leave twist/braid extensions in your hair?

I'm in LOVE with all the hair pics. Everyone is doing so wonderfully with their hair.

Here are a few pics

Last edited:
One year natural today :woot: :dance7:

Eta spending the day eating (and drinking) with family, I'll come back with some comparison pics later :grin:

Last edited:
I want to give twists another try, mine unravelled and were a mess. Tuesday my newest wig should be here! Yay! I plan on doing my twists so I can wear them under my wig.

oh and i'm wearing my hair back in a puff today, i usually have it on top of my head. My SO has constantly been playing in my curls too. I think he was scared of my hair before...

Braided my hair in the front and left the back out in a braid out for church today! Simple, easy style for the week. Would have more pic but this is from a phone I don't know how to use yet......lol.

396998179.jpg

Andro-Your BSL from the pics!
Miryoku your twists are FAB! I can't wait to wash and henna my own!
Foxxy, where you been?! I love your sig pic!
I'm loving everyones hair! I feel like during the spring/summer more naturals
show off their hair more!

Thanks! It's been a busy month at work so I haven't been posting much, just lurking. I'm loving all the pics even if I can't post so much

Looking at my old photos I see now how much my hair has grown, pretty excited to see where it will be my next year natural. My hair has "hang time" now which it didn't have even six months ago on new year's eve. Onto the pictures:

Pulled back hair:
11months.jpg
107_0104.jpg

The before is my first (and only) sad attempt at shingling with Miss Jessie's meringue, it made my hair super dry and looked more shrunken than when I have no product in it.
10months.jpg

SN I revisited Miss Jessie's when my hair was longer and it wasn't bad but I still don't think they're worth the price.

The back
107_0161-1.jpg

Straight hair comparison, I didn't straighten till 6 months in so I don't have a one year comparison :ohwell:
bbdt1.jpg
halfcomp.jpg

This one doesn't really show length, it's just tracking the porosity issues I have on one side only from dying my hair. It's gotten better, on the left side, even wet with conditioner (you can see that patch of unconditioned hair) I would run a comb through and it would look drier than in the photo :ohwell:
Butler-20110211-00028.jpg

And finally, my approximate length now (blow dried for my twists last week), I tried that pull the hair into its stretched length thing and it's way harder than it looks or I need to work on my flexibility:lol:
IMG-20110522-00020.jpg

I would say sorry for all the photos but I know we love pictures around here :lachen: Thanks for looking :wave:

Last edited:
^^ Very nice progress Zaz :yep:

MA2010 I like your hairstyle.

I just did a small self trim. I had too many ssk's on the ends of my hair so I twisted in sections and trimmed about 1/2 inch of each twist. My ends feel so much better now, and hopefully my hair will stop tangling so much. I think I'll start dusting every 6 weeks or so instead of every 3 months.

Hey ladies. Are any of you using Mega-Tek and if so, what are your mixtures? I'm thinking of combining mine with a little castor oil and appplying to my scalp ever other day.

Hey Everybody!:wave: I haven't checked in in a while, I've been in braids. I was finally able to take them out over the weekend. I noticed a few split ends so I had to clip them.:sad: I'm wondering if that's the result of the Tangle Teezer that I used a few months ago. I tried Creme of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo and also the Intensive Conditioning Treatment this morning. I really like the shampoo but I'm not sure about the condish yet.

I think I'm going to wait a while before I braid my hair again. I'm going to start trying twist-outs instead of my usual puff. I was expecting to have more length then I do now, I wonder how long my nape would have been if it hadn't broken off last year. Anyway, keep up the good work everyone!

BTW, my oldest daughter graduated this past Saturday. I'm so proud of her!

Hey ladies. Are any of you using Mega-Tek and if so, what are your mixtures? I'm thinking of combining mine with a little castor oil and appplying to my scalp ever other day.

Hey Steph!:wave: I haven't used Mega-Tek in a whilk but I may start back on it. Most of the time I used it with a little castor oil (either black or clear), a little peppermint oil and a little Sulfur.

I wore my hair like this two days in a row and I LOVE it! I know this is going to sound crazy, but I feel like a normal person wearing my hair like...I was tired of my eye catching puff I just been wanting to blend in lately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZE-P8EE22M&feature=feedu

I just got my wig in today from a friend and plan on washing it and probably wearing it sometime this week. I think I have gotten used to my usual haircolor because the wig is like a #2 and I feel like it's too light...going to wash and condition my hair tonight and put it in twists for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share a few vacation hair pics :)

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 97
OMG! I can not believe that in a month and a day I will be 2 years post relaxer. Where does the time go. Hopefully I can get a little spurt between now and then so I can finally claim APL (if not by July then def by August). My hair grows a littl eless than 1/2 inch a month so we shall see....

I'm a few days away from 3 months natural (10 months post relaxer). Most of that time I've had my hair in nubian twists. Between sets of twists I've worn twist, twistout, wng, and blowouts. I'm lovin' it! I hated to put the twists back in but I'm on a mission. :ninja:

DSC_0044-vi.jpg
DSC_0014-vi.jpg
DSC_07791-vi.jpg
DSC_00091-vi.jpg

The pictures below are with my nubian twists in the back and natural hair in the front. I got impatient. ;)

DSC_0522-vi.jpg
DSC_0751-vi.jpg

Now my nubian twists are back in. :(

DSC_0803-vi.jpg

Progress I made while I had my last set of twists in. Look at that hairline :woot:
2monthsnatural-vi.jpg

62b2a2a3-d30f-9475.jpg
62b2a2a3-d342-f12c.jpg

I'm 1 year natural n trying to straighten my hair. I used frizz ease instead of my crisco, n my hair was getting poofy on me. I shoulda used my Crisco, lol.

Sent from my iPod Touch using LHCF App

Hey guys!!! ive been gone for awhile, just came back from Italy. I still have my hair in a weave, and i miss my hair tooooo much!!:nono: For some reason i thought it would be the same feeling when i was weaved up and transitioning...i didnt care if my hair was hidden forever:spinning:, but now i miss it too much and i feel like i need to take care of it more by just being able to let it breath and i want to do a DC and cant do it too well w a weave.

so im giving it a solid month and then i will be taking it down and putting some mini twists in.:yep: i think i got 1/4 inch of growth which is better than nothing lol.

as much as i dislike the time it takes for me to put the twists in, i know they last for a solid month with no real issues sooo thats the plan!!

i think i might re use the hair and make it into a wig cap.

oh! and i will more than likely put some yarn twists in, later on in the summer.

Back