The Motherhood Cliche... In 2019?

Do you have children? "No"
Do you plan on having children? "They are cute, but no :)"

At that point the convo would have ended.

Yeah....this has been pretty much my response for the last few years as I get asked more and more (other side of 35).

I'm less bothered by it. I used to get annoyed and now I'm like mehh....its expected for women to have children...even unpartnered ones, so it is what it is. I definitely don't mind being asked if I have kids. I say no. It's usually the more intrusive..do you want them, why not, etc that seem to go too far in my opinion. 99% of the time its older bw who feel familiar enough to ask if I want them and usually they get a "No :look:" or a They're cute, but no *polite smile*...depending on who is asking. Recently it was a No, then a firm No thank you to a woman at the gym who insisted I didn't to wait for the right man if I want children after I already told her I didn't want any. I got a raised eyebrow in response to my No Thank You and she dropped it like she wanted to ask more, but knew she wasn't getting more.

None of these women are family as I've made myself real clear with the family that it's not going to happen. There are a few who may still think I should, but they keep their mouth shut with me and only gossip to other family members about it. Lol.

Last edited:
Yeah she sounds freakin annoying. I would have never given a PC answer since it’s none of her beeswax anyway. I would have simply said, “No and I don’t plan to. I respect other women’s decision to have children, but it’s not something that’s for me.” End of convo. You opened yourself up to more questions by taking as if you were even entertaining the idea. Never do that. Be honest with people and shut the annoying ones all the way down...nicely but firmly.

Back