The hair sticks thread---all about hair sticks (pictures included)

OMG, I won a $15 certificate to Barefoot Maiden! She has a monthly drawing or something like that, so I entered. I can't believe it. Last time I won something (by luck) was when I was 11 and I won a novel from a yogurt lid. Yay!

starfish, those are pretty toppers. Just a word of caution, the crowned Ketylos are more expensive than the plain wooden sticks with toppers.

and wouldn't you know God saved me from myself, because she only has Infinity available, no Ketylos sticks, and she can't find the exact charms that are on the Sun and Sea to duplicate it. I already ordered some Ketylos sticks so lemme start with those and slowly add more in.

:)

@starfish, wow! That's really disappointing.

Well, I hope you like your Ketylo sticks. Ketylo Hairsticks Home Page used to sell Ketylos with toppers. Perhaps one day they will sell them again. I sometimes see Ketylos with toppers on www.Etsy.com from various sellers.

But plain Ketylo sticks are very nice and are of a reasonable price too. I only have two pairs of Ketylo sticks with toppers. All the rest of mine are without toppers and I love them. The colors are great and they're very sturdy and smooth.

Last edited:
starfish It's definitely easy to get carried away on that site. I just sent her my payment today. I had to tell myself to go easy lol! But she's really nice and she even said she could split pairs for me since I don't plan on wearing pairs. CelinaStarr you should be getting some kind of referal fee from some of these vendors :lachen:

Lol jasmineml ! I'm picky about my hair toys and whom I do business with. I try not to give out bad references, lol. I hate dealing with bad vendors. Before I buy anything, not just hair toys, I do my research to make sure I'm getting quality products/services.

starfish and others. The sticks and toppers that I originally wanted from Sticks and Stones weren't available either but Fox ordered them for me. She was a pleasure to work with and we conversed through email. She emailed me photos of the different looks and toppers she could create with various hair sticks. She also emailed me a photo of my hair sticks before I received them just to make sure I liked them.

Crowned Ketylos are pricey though. I've seen some on Etsy - Your place to buy and sell all things handmade, vintage, and supplies and they were in the higher price range too. I guess sellers charge extra because from what I've heard Ketylo sticks are hard to place toppers on. One day I'd like to buy some more Ketylo sticks with toppers.

CelinaStarr I couldn't agree more. I recently started buying from Etsy.com (it's turning into a slight addiction :look:) and I read ALL the feedback before I purchase and I mean all:yep: If they don't appear kosher I don't care how bad I want it. I work too hard for my $$.

Etsy has some really great hidden gems, you just have to be patient and look ;)

Lol jasmineml ! I'm picky about my hair toys and whom I do business with. I try not to give out bad references, lol. I hate dealing with bad vendors. Before I buy anything, not just hair toys, I do my research to make sure I'm getting quality products/services.

starfish and others. The sticks and toppers that I originally wanted from Sticks and Stones weren't available either but Fox ordered them for me. She was a pleasure to work with and we conversed through email. She emailed me photos of the different looks and toppers she could create with various hair sticks. She also emailed me a photo of my hair sticks before I received them just to make sure I liked them.

Crowned Ketylos are pricey though. I've seen some on Etsy - Your place to buy and sell all things handmade, vintage, and supplies and they were in the higher price range too. I guess sellers charge extra because from what I've heard Ketylo sticks are hard to place toppers on. One day I'd like to buy some more Ketylo sticks with toppers.

I want to reiterate and agree with you and jasmineml that Fox from Sticks and Stones has GREAT customer service. It just happens that the topper I wanted the most, with my namesake (starfish) in one of my favorite colors, isn't available. She had another suggestion for that topper and another one that wasn't available, so she will work with you to get you what you want.

I am definitely buying the Infinity with a straight stick!

I really wanted some dangly toppers but I fight to rein in the tacky, so I will start with simple.

Yes, I'll be the woman that people say "why does she have all that s&#t hanging down from her hair?" :)

starfish I will definitely order from her because of the customer service alone:yep: She answered all my emails in an timely fashion (sometimes within minutes) offered alternatives if she didn't have something and was just all around really pleasant. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. So I'm willing to spend more if that means great customer service and unique/quality products.........

I just have to do it in multiple orders :lachen:

These are from BarefootMaiden:

DSC02218-vi.jpg

^^^^From left to right:
1) Modern Marilyn Hairsticks- Fuchsia and Jet Swarovski Crystals
2) Fall Fairytale Hairsticks- Topaz Glass, Carnelian and Brass
3) Autumn Spirit Hairsticks- Carved Carnelian Butterfly with Carnelian Leaf
4) Shades of Romance- Rose Quartz, Garnet and Sterling Silver Dangle Hairsticks
5) Spice Goddess- Dark Saffron Orange Glass and Vermeil Hairsticks

All of these hair sticks came with free matching earrings. The earrings for the Autumn Spirit hair sticks originally came with the Spice Goddess hair sticks and vice versa. But I think they match the Autumn Spirit sticks better and the earrings that came with the Autumn Spirit sticks matches the Spice Goddess sticks better. So I switched the matching earrings for both of these sticks.

I just purchased these.........I'm so excited!! :yay:

Etsy Transaction - NORTHERN LIGHTS HEART with Black and Caramel Swirl HANDMADE GLASS HAIRSTICK

Etsy Transaction - Reserved for curlycrocheter--Mad Hatter's Blue Teapot Hair Stick

Etsy Transaction - Reserved for curlycrocheter--Blueberry Bubblegum Cupcake Hair Stick

And Fox finished my order from sticksandstones.com She's so sweet. She didn't like something from the original design so offered to refund my money or rework it. Then she emailed me a pic of the finished product. That's what I call service:yep:

I just purchased these.........I'm so excited!! :yay:

Etsy Transaction - NORTHERN LIGHTS HEART with Black and Caramel Swirl HANDMADE GLASS HAIRSTICK

Etsy Transaction - Reserved for curlycrocheter--Mad Hatter's Blue Teapot Hair Stick

Etsy Transaction - Reserved for curlycrocheter--Blueberry Bubblegum Cupcake Hair Stick

And Fox finished my order from sticksandstones.com She's so sweet. She didn't like something from the original design so offered to refund my money or rework it. Then she emailed me a pic of the finished product. That's what I call service:yep:

Nice haul. I really like the glass hair stick. I want to try one of those some day. I'm afraid it might fall out and break. I had a hair stick fall out the other day, too.

@jasmineml, that glass hair stick is cool. I also like the two custom hair sticks. Those are so cute! Blueberry Bubblegum Cupcake and Mad Hatter, lol. You have an adorable sense of style. I can't wait to see them in you gorgeous hair.

@Ivonnovi, those are cute. Your hair looks nice and is at a length where a half up half down style using shorter hair sticks would probably work.

@jasmineml, you should post pictures of your collection, if you don't mind of course. :yep:

@empressri, aren't Ketylos the best? They are my go to everyday hair sticks. Your hair looks beautiful in your avatar. Do you have any pictures to share if you don't mind? I *heart* your hair and bet it looks amazing with hair sticks.

Everyone, please feel free to post pictures. :yep:

CelinaStarr mountain musings is where i got my tea & cupcake sticks from. I really want the whole set, but I can't justify $78 for some hair sticks :lachen:

I found alot of the stuff from crytalmood.com on ebay for like $0.99....huge price difference

@jasmineml, as soon as I saw those sticks on that website, I realized that was the vendor you bought your sticks from. Yes, hair sticks can get pricey.

I really like the ones at LongLocks Boutique: Exquisite One-of-a-Kind Art Glass Hair Jewelry, Accessories & Hair Sticks but most of those sticks are $80-100 dollars! I feel uncomfortable owning hair sticks so expensive. I mean where could I wear them?! :lol: I'd be so afraid of breaking them I'd probably wear them like once in a life time! :lachen: But they are beautiful.

CelinaStarr girl you ain't playin! I was going through etsy doing random searches and i ran across a hair fork that was $1300 :thud: it wasn't even that cute!

Like i said earlier, I don't mind paying for quilty, but don't try to pull the wool over my eyes!!:nono:

jasmineml
I love those tea/cupcake ones. I have two little girls who love to play teaparty. They would love to see me wear those sticks. Please post a picture of them when you wear them!
CelinaStarr mountain musings is where i got my tea & cupcake sticks from. I really want the whole set, but I can't justify $78 for some hair sticks :lachen:

I found alot of the stuff from crytalmood.com on ebay for like $0.99....huge price difference

my haul should be here by tuesday!! I'm so excited :yay::yay::yay:

I'll be posting pics for sure. One question..do you guys notice a difference when you wear your sticks in straight hair vs curly? My hair is flat ironed right now and I had a harder time getting all my hair to stay, then I had problems with them slipping.

mwedzi I definitley won't be wearing the glass one in straight hair :lachen:

Ok @CelinaStarr - you are getting my AMEX bill!

:lol:

wavezncurlz, Those sticks are beautiful and so is your hair! Aliarose makes very beautiful hair sticks and the prices aren't bad either.

Hey @CelinaStarr,
You should create a treasury at Etsy.

This is my first time reading about this. I may eventually do this. :yep:

my haul should be here by tuesday!! I'm so excited :yay::yay::yay:

I'll be posting pics for sure. One question..do you guys notice a difference when you wear your sticks in straight hair vs curly? My hair is flat ironed right now and I had a harder time getting all my hair to stay, then I had problems with them slipping.

@mwedzi I definitley won't be wearing the glass one in straight hair :lachen:

jasmineml, I haven't worn my hair sticks in straight hair yet but I would imagine hair sticks stay in curly hair more easily. I guess it depends on how fine and silky your straight hair is.

You may have to make tighter buns or experiment with different buns to get them to stay. One bun style that many like and is able to hold well with only one hair stick is the Lazy Wrap Bun:

[video=youtube;TTt771qkO24]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTt771qkO24[/video]

^^^Even though my hair is pants pocket length due to the thickness I still can't make it but I bet I could if my hair were straightened. Have you tried this?

What about the pencil bun?:

[video=youtube;Z0k3dD4qX34]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34[/video]

CelinaStarr thanks for those videos. my hair is about 2 inches too short for those but I think I can modify them and make it work! It took some trial and error but eventually I got them to stay, I'm gonna tuck those vids away for the futur though.

Ok, I'd forgotten I'd bought this accessory. It's called the Bine clip. There was a thread about all these cool accessories with links and I stumbled on the Bine. It might be helpful for someone who wants the look of a hair stick but needs some help with the insertion. Here's the website with the video on how the Bine clips work.

And here's my pictures of the clip I bought:

IMG00054-20100730-1923.jpg

IMG00055-20100730-1948.jpg

Back