The hair sticks thread---all about hair sticks (pictures included)

There's more in my Fotki that I'll try to post here when I have the time. Also, I haven't even taken pictures of all of my hair sticks yet. Perhaps by next month I'll get around to taking pictures of all of them. :lol:

Last edited:
I really like these hair sticks! :love:

Spooked Jack O' Lantern Glow-in-the-Dark Pumpkin Hair sticks from Aliarose:

DSC02099-vi.jpg

I never knew I loved pumpkins so much but her pumpkin hair sticks are adorable.

Thank you for all of the gorgeous pictures ladies. I can't wait to see more.

OMG! SO cute!

wow, those sticks are awesome !!!!

My order shipped from quecraft today ... SOOOOOOO excited

I love this thread! CelinaStarr, your stick buns are so pretty! I love the little pumpkin sticks, so cute :) can't wait 'till I have enough length; they look even easier than hairzings... I'm lazy :lol:

Some people compare using hair forks to using hair sticks. They say it's like inserting 2-3 hair sticks into the hair at the same time and state that they're easier to use. Some people insert hair forks just like hair sticks using a weaving motion and others just stick it in. It depends on the individual and what works for their hair. Hair forks tend to be more expensive than hair sticks too. Hair forks are nice but I prefer hair sticks.

Ketylo Hairsticks Home Page and 60th street sell hair forks made in Dymondwood. 60th street's hair forks are very similar to Ketylos but they have more colors and choices though. I think their forks are a little cheaper too.

Here's my custom made 6 inch 3 prong fork in Dymondwood Indigo Royalwood next to a pair of Dymondwood Colonial Chestnut sticks and a pair of Dymondwood Tahitian Jadewood sticks (all from Ketylo Hairsticks Home Page):

DSC01814-vi.jpg

Wearing my custom made Ketylo 6 inch 3 prong fork in Dymondwood Indigo Royalwood:

DSC02145-vi.jpg

I love how big that fork is. I am a fork fan. I think they are easier but I am getting the hang if sticks thanks to the vids you posted.
Some people compare using hair forks to using hair sticks. They say it's like inserting 2-3 hair sticks into the hair at the same time and state that they're easier to use. Some people insert hair forks just like hair sticks using a weaving motion and others just stick it in. It depends on the individual and what works for their hair. Hair forks tend to be more expensive than hair sticks too. Hair forks are nice but I prefer hair sticks.

Ketylo Hairsticks Home Page and 60th street sell hair forks made in Dymondwood. 60th street's hair forks are very similar to Ketylos but they have more colors and choices though. I think their forks are a little cheaper too.

Here's my custom made 6 inch 3 prong fork in Dymondwood Indigo Royalwood next to a pair of Dymondwood Colonial Chestnut sticks and a pair of Dymondwood Tahitian Jadewood sticks (all from Ketylo Hairsticks Home Page):

DSC01814-vi.jpg

Wearing my custom made Ketylo 6 inch 3 prong fork in Dymondwood Indigo Royalwood:

DSC02145-vi.jpg

@wavezncurlz, :lol: ! I've received PM's and messages from people asking me where I buy my hair toys. Also, I'm one of those people that like to know, lol. When I see a picture of someone wearing a beautiful hair toy I just have to know where they got it from, lol!

@SimJam, :lol: I won't be buying anything else for a long time. I've burned a hole in my wallet buying all of these hair sticks. :burning:

Last edited:
this thread is right on time! I just received the first set of hair sticks I ordered. I used the method posted in op (Thank you soooooo much for posting those CelinaStar) and nothing has ever held my bun so snuggly without causing too much tension or headaches. I'm so excited to order more!

LHCF always comes through!! Thanks for this thread, the links, and the videos Celina!! I just got a pair of free chopsticks in my Alter Ego order last week and used them for the first time and I love them. I swim almost every day now and my hair is always in a bun.

I just ordered some Ketylos and some from Sticks and Stones.

starfish and jasmineml, I'm happy both of you found the videos helpful. I hope both of you post pictures.

starfish, if you don't mind me asking what did you order from Sticks and Stones? I'm so nosy, lol, lol! I have two pairs of crowned Ketylos from Sticks and Stones. I like her work. Can't wait to see pictures!

I've been trying to bun using my crochet and needle sticks. When I get more length I definitely want a ketylo. I'm only chin length/ neck length curly though. Anything that doesn't have me use a hair tie to bun is a good thing in my book.

@starfish and @jasmineml, I'm happy both of you found the videos helpful. I hope both of you post pictures.

@starfish, if you don't mind me asking what did you order from Sticks and Stones? I'm so nosy, lol, lol! I have two pairs of crowned Ketylos from Sticks and Stones. I like her work. Can't wait to see pictures!

I will definitely post pics. @CelinaStarr or wavezncurlz how do you insert the hair forks?...sorry if this is hijacking the attention from single prong sticks lol. There are some really pretty forks I wanna purchase but I can't get the hang of those.

Last edited:
These are from Sticks and Stones:

DSC02167-vi.jpg

^^^^^From left to right:
1) Custom made crowned 7 inch Ketylo Dymondwood Fuchsia hair sticks. The toppers are called Awed. These sticks are darker and more purple in color but I couldn't get my camera to capture this. :(

2) Custom made crowned 7 inch Ketylo Dymondwood Tropical Passionwood hair sticks. The toppers are called Alabaster Princess.

It was so hard for me to capture the true colors of these sticks. The sticks on the left have more of a purple tone to it and they're darker but the camera doesn't reflect this. :( Both pairs of these sticks are not the same color.

Wearing the custom made crowned 7 inch Ketylo Dymondwood Fuchsia hair sticks with Awed toppers:

DSC02156-vi.jpg

Wearing the custom made crowned 7 inch Ketylo Dymondwood Tropical Passionwood hair sticks with Alabaster Princess toppers:

DSC02153-vi.jpg

jasmineml, they're inserted similar to hair sticks. Some people weave them through. Others like myself just stick them in.

Just like hair sticks they can be inserted in the opposite direction and weaved through:

[video=youtube;xgdWYKDtyvw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgdWYKDtyvw[/video]

You can also just weave it through or just stick it in. I've tried inserting it in the opposite direction but sometimes the hold is a bit to tight for me so I tend to just stick it in and kind of weave it through just a little.

If you go to Simplistic Designs - Home Page , scroll to the bottom and click on Hair Comb Instructions , then click on View Instructional Videos on the next page, you will find more excellent tutorials for using hair combs and forks for different hair styles. It's all pretty much the same regardless of style. Insert in the opposite direction and weave it through. :yep:

This article over at the Long Hair Community discusses using hair forks: The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards - Hair Forks 101

starfish and jasmineml, I'm happy both of you found the videos helpful. I hope both of you post pictures.

starfish, if you don't mind me asking what did you order from Sticks and Stones? I'm so nosy, lol, lol! I have two pairs of crowned Ketylos from Sticks and Stones. I like her work. Can't wait to see pictures!

I don't mind at all! Out of all the sites you posted Sticks and Stones resonated with me the most.

So I ordered 7", Ketylos of 14kt, Infinity and Sun and Sea. It's not really the season (summer) for Sun and Sea but I saw the dangling seahorse and starfish and it was a wrap. I'd hate for it to not be available when i want it next year. (I think that Costco 'buy it if you see it' mentality is messing me up)

Once they let me know the total cost of these I might have to edit my order. :)

The other sticks that caught my eye are:
Royal Golden Topaz
Smokescreen
Berry Blend
Classic Lady
Albuquerque
Midnight Lights

I will definitely post pics. @CelinaStarr or wavezncurlz how do you insert the hair forks?...sorry if this is hijacking the attention from single prong sticks lol. There are some really pretty forks I wanna purchase but I can't get the hang of those.

CelinaStar's video is how I do it too. I kind of weave the fork in until it feels tight. It's been trial and error but the forks are easier thatn the sticks to me.

I don't mind at all! Out of all the sites you posted Sticks and Stones resonated with me the most.

So I ordered 7", Ketylos of 14kt, Infinity and Sun and Sea. It's not really the season (summer) for Sun and Sea but I saw the dangling seahorse and starfish and it was a wrap. I'd hate for it to not be available when i want it next year. (I think that Costco 'buy it if you see it' mentality is messing me up)

Once they let me know the total cost of these I might have to edit my order. :)

The other sticks that caught my eye are:
Royal Golden Topaz
Smokescreen
Berry Blend
Classic Lady
Albuquerque
Midnight Lights

starfish, those are pretty toppers. Just a word of caution, the crowned Ketylos are more expensive than the plain wooden sticks with toppers.

I love the sticks and stones website! I just emailed Fox for my first order! I'm so excited! And looking at the pics of the Ketylos makes me dizzy:spinning: TBH I don't like the way that pairs of sticks look in my hair (maybe when my bun is as wonderful as CelinaStarr, I'll reconsider ;) ) So I figure I'll save a lot of $$$ that way :lachen:

I love hairsticks something fierce, but I am a poor student so have to kind of make due with fancy chopsticks :( I 've figured out styles with my hair loose (and straightened or stretched) but I can't figure out how to hold twists in bun styles like the ones mwedzi does. My hair is definitely not as long, only APL straightened and shoulder length with shrinkage. i can make a normal tiny bun with my twists but the sticks just aren't working! i end up with twists everywhere. any suggestions? should i just wait until my hair is longer?

I love hairsticks something fierce, but I am a poor student so have to kind of make due with fancy chopsticks :( I 've figured out styles with my hair loose (and straightened or stretched) but I can't figure out how to hold twists in bun styles like the ones mwedzi does. My hair is definitely not as long, only APL straightened and shoulder length with shrinkage. i can make a normal tiny bun with my twists but the sticks just aren't working! i end up with twists everywhere. any suggestions? should i just wait until my hair is longer?

Rei, it sounds as if your hair may be a little too short to make a bun with the twists. Perhaps you can just do a bun with the ends out while the hair is in twists? I'm sure mwedzi has great advice concerning your issue. I always style my hair loose. Perhaps mwedzi will see this and answer. :yep:

Thanks for the alert, Celina. I'm happy to see this thread is going strong. We must spread our love of hair accessories to the world!

Rei, your hair might not be long enough yet. But you could try a style like this: Photo: barefoot2 | July - Dec 2010 album | Mwedzi | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

You put your hair in a ponytail. Then divide the twists in half and wrap one half around the other. You can weave the hair sticks through to secure it, or you can use pins or tuck the ends in and just use the sticks as decoration.

I don't know if your hair is long enough yet, but you could try this one, too:
Photo: How to instructions | 2009 July - December album | Mwedzi | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

Also you could try this:
Photo: Twists updo | 2009 July - December album | Mwedzi | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.
You divide your twists in half and then you just sort of wrap each half around the other, swirling them around the center of your hair. It naturally ends up as a messy bun.

Hope this helps!

Back