The Events of CHRIST'S RETURN

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
1 Thessalonians 4 & 5 talk about watchfulness of the Lord, living to please God, remembering the hope of the resurrection, and being prepared when the Lord returns (which no one knows when it will happen).

Here are the events that will happen during Christ's 2nd return:

1. Christ will return visbly with a mighty shout

2. There will be unmistakable cry from an angel

3. There will be a trumpet fanfare such as has never been heard

4. Believers in Christ who are dead will rise from their graves

5. Believers who are alive will be lifted into the clouds and meet Christ.

I'll be back tomorrow. This thread will probably be another long one, and I'm sleepy.

Poohbear, I know you truly believe what you say. But I don't take your word for it (or anyone else's). Scripture please...

DelightfulFlame said:
I'll be back tomorrow. This thread will probably be another long one, and I'm sleepy.

Poohbear, I know you truly believe what you say. But I don't take your word for it (or anyone else's). Scripture please...
I posted the scriptures, right in the beginning: 1 Thessalonians chapters 4 & 5 ;) Do u want me 2 be more specific as far as verses and such?

DelightfulFlame said:
Yes. You posted five statements. Exactly what scriptures do you base those on?

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

Btw, the five statements I posted came from a chart in my Life Applications Study Bible. ;)

I copied from the New Living Translation version the verses below. HTH.

13And now, brothers and sisters, I want you to know what will happen to the Christians who have died so you will not be full of sorrow like people who have no hope. 14For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again, we also believe that when Jesus comes, God will bring back with Jesus all the Christians who have died. 15I can tell you this directly from the Lord: We who are still living when the Lord returns will not rise to meet him ahead of those who are in their graves. 16For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. 17Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. 18So comfort and encourage each other with these words.

You know my friend said something to me like this but she used Revelations I cant remember chp and verses or even how we started talking about this but I was thinking about this same thing the other day when I seen the story on yahoo of this man claiming to be Jesus Christ and wanting his name changed on his license to say that. (sorry for this run on sentence)

This disproves the claim of most Christian denominations who hold the belief that inhabitants on earth--depending on how they lived their lives--would either go to "hell" or heaven. This scripture suggests that only a selected few will go to heaven, while the remaining others will be resurrected to live on earth. It contradicts the man-made doctrine of "burning in hell".

EssentialGrowth said:
This disproves the claim of most Christian denominations who hold the belief that inhabitants on earth--depending on how they lived their lives--would either go to "hell" or heaven. This scripture suggests that only a selected few will go to heaven, while the remaining others will be resurrected to live on earth. It contradicts the man-made doctrine of "burning in hell".

I don't think this is what this scripture suggests. This scripture only pertains to what will occur when Christ's returns for his followers. It doesn't go into what happens next, which is the tribulation (a lot of which is discussed in Revelations)

Sweet C said:
I don't think this is what this scripture suggests. This scripture only pertains to what will occur when Christ's returns for his followers. It doesn't go into what happens next, which is the tribulation (a lot of which is discussed in Revelations)
Yes. I agree. This will happen during the time that God destroys the earth.

One day, God's anger toward sin will be fully and completely unleashed. Satan will be defeated with all of his agents. False religion will be destroyed. God will reward the faithful with eternal life, but all who refuse to believe in Him will face eternal punishment.
The importance of this is that evil and injustice will not prevail forever. God's final judgement will put an end to these. We need to be certain of our committment to Jesus if we want to escape this great final judgement. No one who is uncommitted to Christ will escape God's punishment.

[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica] But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.[/font]

and the scripture for that. you can go to crosswalk.com to post it.
Poohbear said:

One day, God's anger toward sin will be fully and completely unleashed. Satan will be defeated with all of his agents. False religion will be destroyed. God will reward the faithful with eternal life, but all who refuse to believe in Him will face eternal punishment.
The importance of this is that evil and injustice will not prevail forever. God's final judgement will put an end to these. We need to be certain of our committment to Jesus if we want to escape this great final judgement. No one who is uncommitted to Christ will escape God's punishment.

Sweet C said:

Though it does not go into detail, the scripture is implying what WILL happen on earth during the Great Tribulation which is to be followed by Armageddon. It is a prelude to what will occur on earth and how it would affect its inhabitants; as you correctly stated, the details of the event is further discussed in the book of Revelations.

ETA: Is it your belief that Christ's returns is not the Tribulation itself? From what I read, you seem to sequence his return prior to the actual Tribulation.

Honeyhips said:
I was taught, and I will pull up scriptures later that God would not destroy the Earth, but would renew it.
You are correct. When I mentioned God destroying the Earth, I was talking about this 'physical' Earth in which we live in now. ;)

Poohbear said:

Yes, this is event is known as Armageddon, BUT contrary to your statement, Satan and his agents will still be in existence--they would be locked in an abyss for one day, which in God's eyes is a 1,000 year period. After that time, Satan will be unleashed again, but only for a short period. It is then that He, his agents, and those who received a chance to know God but refused him, would be eternally destroyed in the fiery lake of Gehenna.

Even those who refused to know God right now would be given a chance to eternal life. Those unrighteous ones who "refused to believe Him" during their life course will be given a chance to get to know God during the 1,000 year period. If they still refuse to believe him AFTER given a chance to know his wonderful teachings, as I stated previously they would then face eternal destruction. This would be his FINAL judgment--otherwise known as Judgment Day.

Just my two cents...:look:

I believe the same thing Poohbear. I've read all the scriptures pertaining to the statements that you listed. :) I also believe that the dead will rise too:

1 Corinthians 15:52 - In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Romans 6:8 - Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

EssentialGrowth said:
Yes, this is event is known as Armageddon, BUT contrary to your statement, Satan and his agents will still be in existence--they would be locked in an abyss for one day, which in God's eyes is a 1,000 year period. After that time, Satan will be unleashed again, but only for a short period. It is then that He, his agents, and those who received a chance to know God but refused him, would be eternally destroyed in the fiery lake of Gehenna.

Even those who refused to know God right now would be given a chance to eternal life. Those unrighteous ones who "refused to believe Him" during their life course will be given a chance to get to know God during the 1,000 year period. If they still refuse to believe him AFTER given a chance to know his wonderful teachings, as I stated previously they would then face eternal destruction. This would be his FINAL judgment--otherwise known as Judgment Day.

Just my two cents...:look:
You are correct. When I said what I said, I wasn't leaving this out of the picture. I just didn't go into detail like you did. In the end, Satan will be defeated and God will do his final judgement. ;)

so do you all believe that the lake of fire is a literal fire?

DISCLAIMER: I'm asking what you believe. I'm not asking what I should believe. This is a discussion. I want to see your point of view. We may not agree. I won't think of you as a non-believer, non-bible-believer, non-faith-holder, etc.

DelightfulFlame said:

DISCLAIMER: I'm asking what you believe. I'm not asking what I should believe. This is a discussion. I want to see your point of view. We may not agree. I won't think of you as a non-believer, non-bible-believer, non-faith-holder, etc.

It is my belief that it is NOT a literal fire but actually just simple death, without the hope of gaining a resurrection.

EssentialGrowth said:
Though it does not go into detail, the scripture is implying what WILL happen on earth during the Great Tribulation which is to be followed by Armageddon. It is a prelude to what will occur on earth and how it would affect its inhabitants; as you correctly stated, the details of the event is further discussed in the book of Revelations.

ETA: Is it your belief that Christ's returns is not the Tribulation itself? From what I read, you seem to sequence his return prior to the actual Tribulation.

I believe that Christ’s return marks the start or beginning of the Great Tribulation (Mt 24:33-42, 2 Thess 2, 1 Cor 6:19). When Christ returns, those who are faithful would be resurrected to be with Christ. What I am saying is the verses in 1 Thess 4 are not pertaining to those who aren’t faithful, and those who aren’t faithful are not resurrected to live on earth.

As far as the belief that you would go to heaven or hell when you die, it has merit. I think most churches say this b/c it’s a lot easier than explaining the Abraham’s Bosom/Paradise and Sheol/Hades concept. From scripture, when the righteous die, they go to Paradise or Abraham’s bosom (Lk 23:43, Lk 16:22). Now there is much theological debate as to where exactly Paradise is located, b/c the bible doesn’t tell us. Those who aren’t righteous and die, go to Hades or hell, but not the lake of fire (Lk 16:23, Acts 2:31).

Where did the idea of the lake of fire come from? What is paradise like? What is hades like?

Df, you haven't told us what you think yet.

Also if you all have a scripture reference that would be great. You can also post it here by going to crosswalk.com and copying it from there. They also have many different translations.

I've been stepping in and out of this thread today in b/w meetings.

I can't really tell you what I think, because I don't really know. But I can tell you what I don't think. I don't believe that people are going to hell forever. I don't believe that Revelations is literal. I don't believe that the Savior of the world will fail and let 2/3 of the world burn forever. I will post scripture when I have more time to really dive into it.

Honeyhips said:
4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words

I was taught, and I will pull up scriptures later that God would not destroy the Earth, but would renew it.

Do you really believe it will happen this way. Just imagine if we were to see a giant face coming through the clouds..... we would all die from cardiac arrest! I dont believe we should take the Bible literally. We get freaked out when we hear about flying saucers....

DelightfulFlame said:

I don't think we should take the bible literally. Afterall the bible was written by man.

I believe heaven or hell is within oneself. We have the choice of living our lives to become a Supreme Being within ourselves.

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." Revelation 21:8.

The wicked die the second death in hellfire. If the wicked lived forever being tortured in hell, they would be immortal. But this is impossible, because the Bible says God "only hath immortality." 1 Timothy 6:16. When Adam and Eve were driven from the Garden of Eden, an angel was posted to guard the tree of life so that sinners would not eat of the tree and "live for ever." Genesis 3:22-24. The teaching that sinners are immortal in hell originated with Satan and is completely untrue. God prevented this when sin entered this earth by guarding the tree of life.

The Bible says the wicked suffer "death" (Romans 6:23), will suffer "destruction" (Job 21:30), "shall perish" (Psalm 37:20), will "burn" up (Malachi 4:1), "shall be destroyed together" (Psalm 37:38), will "consume away" (Psalm 37:20), "shall be cut off" (Psalm 37:9), "shall be slain" (Psalm 62:3). God will "destroy" them (Psalm 145:20), and "fire shall devour them" (Psalm 21:9). Note that all of these references make it clear that the wicked die and are destroyed. They do not live forever in misery.

"Behold, they shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame: there shall not be a coal to warm at, nor fire to sit before it." Isaiah 47:14. "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth." "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away." Revelation 21:1, 4.

The Bible specifically teaches that hellfire will go out and that there will not be left "a coal to warm at, nor fire to sit before it." The Bible also teaches that in God's new kingdom all "former things" will be passed away. Hell, being one of the former things, is included, so we have God's promise that it will be abolished.

DelightfulFlame said:

I can't really tell you what I think, because I don't really know. But I can tell you what I don't think. I don't believe that people are going to hell forever. I don't believe that Revelations is literal. I don't believe that the Savior of the world will fail and let 2/3 of the world burn forever. I will post scripture when I have more time to really dive into it.

mrslee said:
I don't think we should take the bible literally. Afterall the bible was written by man.

I believe heaven or hell is within oneself. We have the choice of living our lives to become a Supreme Being within ourselves.

Not trying to be funny, but I find it interesting that this was posted on your 666th post. :ohwell:

I gotcha. I wasn't trying to call you out either. YOu said you believed something different and I just wanted to hear it all. I personally don't have an opinon because I haven't studied ityet. I used to be afraid to read about Christ's return.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts. Wait a minute... you actually work? :eek: People actually work at work? Wow...;) :lol:

DelightfulFlame said:

Back