The BUY NOTHING for May 2008 Challenge

Ok I am in. I just got an order from Puritan with my vitamins, coconut oil, and aloe vera gel. I have enough cheapie conditioner to start a small sore so I should be good. However does it count if we don't actually spend any money? I get a lot stuff with CVS extra care bucks so its really free????:look:

:lachen: I think that counts. :lol:

I got my order of ayurvedic stuff in the mail today - I really think I'll be good to go.

I think one thing that will help me is if I just make a running list of everything that I might WANT to buy during the month.

And I just took a glance at my MULTIPLE stashes - I really don't think there is a table in the house big enough. :look: :lol:

But, I really do need to organize it all. And the freezer, too.

Ok I am in. I just got an order from Puritan with my vitamins, coconut oil, and aloe vera gel. I have enough cheapie conditioner to start a small sore so I should be good. However does it count if we don't actually spend any money? I get a lot stuff with CVS extra care bucks so its really free????:look:
I didn't even think of this. :lachen:

I like how you think.

:lachen: I think that counts. :lol:

I got my order of ayurvedic stuff in the mail today - I really think I'll be good to go.

I think one thing that will help me is if I just make a running list of everything that I might WANT to buy during the month.

And I just took a glance at my MULTIPLE stashes - I really don't think there is a table in the house big enough. :look: :lol:

But, I really do need to organize it all. And the freezer, too.

What are Ayurvedic products? Quick, tell me about them...I may have to buy them tonight before tomorrow's challenge starts :blush:

Just making sure--going to the salon doesn't count, right? I'm getting my 15 week touch up on Friday. I'm paying for a service but I'm not purchasing anything.

I didn't think of this. I have a hair appointment on the 22nd. I hope that doesn't count!

What are Ayurvedic products? Quick, tell me about them...I may have to buy them tonight before tomorrow's challenge starts :blush:

The ayurvedic products Kiya is talking about here are Indian powders and oils used for washing and conditioning the hair, such as henna, amla powder and oil, shikakai powder and oil, bhringraj powder and oil, hibiscus petal powder, neem oil, vatika oil, brahmi powder and oil and a whole lot more...

There are many threads floating on the forum about them. Do a search, aome of them should come up. My recommendation - read as many of them as you can before looking into purchasing them, familiarize yourself with them before using them, okay?

The ayurvedic products Kiya is talking about here are Indian powders and oils used for washing and conditioning the hair, such as henna, amla powder and oil, shikakai powder and oil, bhringraj powder and oil, hibiscus petal powder, neem oil, vatika oil, brahmi powder and oil and a whole lot more...

There are many threads floating on the forum about them. Do a search, aome of them should come up. My recommendation - read as many of them as you can before looking into purchasing them, familiarize yourself with them before using them, okay?

:yep: :yep:

Total agreement with Aggie here - this month is a GREAT time to take a break and see how your hair responds to it's current products and do your research on ayurvedics, and decide if they are right for your reggi & your hair - they are so - unique to each person, I really have to suggest you read up on it first.....

I didn't think of this. I have a hair appointment on the 22nd. I hope that doesn't count!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjoy
Just making sure--going to the salon doesn't count, right? I'm getting my 15 week touch up on Friday. I'm paying for a service but I'm not purchasing anything.

Well, I'm about to order some Kenra and then I should be set.

BUT, I haven't seen what deals Sally's has this month :perplexed

I thought the same thing BUT they have deals every month :yep: You'll be back in there in June, I'm sure.

I couldn't find the pic of my partial stash. Just trust, it's plenty of stuff. I haven't found my card so I could buy my relaxer today...so I'll have to go to the bank tomorrow and get cash so I can get it tomorrow...I know, starting off on the wrong foot. Unless I want to try to stretch until June 1st...hadn't considered that...I was going to relax like the 30th...not a big diff between the May 30th and...say, June 3rd.

Also, and I hate to be a rambling bother BUT I think I will find it increasingly difficult to stay on the challenge if, everytime I come to this thread, I have to see all of the reviews about all of the products that everyone is buying BUT me...just a thought...

I thought the same thing BUT they have deals every month :yep: You'll be back in there in June, I'm sure.

I couldn't find the pic of my partial stash. Just trust, it's plenty of stuff. I haven't found my card so I could buy my relaxer today...so I'll have to go to the bank tomorrow and get cash so I can get it tomorrow...I know, starting off on the wrong foot. Unless I want to try to stretch until June 1st...hadn't considered that...I was going to relax like the 30th...not a big diff between the May 30th and...say, June 3rd.

Also, and I hate to be a rambling bother BUT I think I will find it increasingly difficult to stay on the challenge if, everytime I come to this thread, I have to see all of the reviews about all of the products that everyone is buying BUT me...just a thought...

:lachen: Okay??? But tonight should be the LAST of those posts..... :yep:

OK ~ I have stocked up. I didn't get everything that I wanted, but I will make it work. Wow there are 5 weeks in this month (talking to myself...you can do this, you can do this....). I told my husband about this challenge. He will make sure that I stay honest.

Free stuff only counts if the deal would expire before the month is out... Are you forced to use tho CVS bucks before May 31st?

I didnt get my Mizani... so I guess Im now stretching til June 1st

Salon visits wont count unless ya buy hair products....

Everyone should either take a pic of their products or list them in a post on this thread

If you falter during the challenge, you have deal with the circumstances

1st Violation: 50 extra sit ups/crunches a day for a week

2nd violation: must pack healthy lunch, nothign fast food-ish or store brought, for 5 consecutive work/school days

3rd violation: Hmmmmmmmmmm gotta think about thsi 1

Last edited:
Technically it shouldn't count because we aren't spending any money. Just like a gift from CVS.:lachen::lachen:

They just paid me to buy the full line of Nexxus products. :grin: They also gave me $10 more dollars today that I might use to get some more lip butter that they will pay me $10 more dollars to leave the store with. I wonder how long I can keep rolling this same $10. :drunk:

Alright..

while sitting under the dryer tonight--I created a slideshow of my current products.
I also ordered MORE products..and I got it all in before the stroke of midnight. Barely! :blush:

After viewing this, I know fa SHO that I don't need to buy anything during the month of May! or June....and possibly July...

slideshow of my products...

I hope I did this right...

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i166/divine_06/?action=view&current=d259e63e.pbwhttp://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i166/divine_06/?action=view&current=d259e63e.pbwhttp://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i166/divine_06/?action=view&current=d259e63e.pbw

I dont feel bad anymore.... you have just as much stuff, if nto more, than me

Where's everyone else's pic... Im collecting names today

My husband is working from home today... so I couldnt get pics of my stash... this is just the stuff thats not hidden or in my car... I NEED TO BE SMACKED!!!

DSC00441.jpg
DSC00442.jpg
DSC00443.jpg
DSC00444.jpg
DSC00445.jpg
DSC00446.jpg
DSC00447.jpg
DSC00448.jpg
DSC00449.jpg
DSC00450.jpg
DSC00451.jpg

I NEED to save this page to show my boyfriend because he will see that I'm really not that bad with the amount of stuff I have stashed and buy.
PassionFruit...YOU ARE NOT PLAYIN'...WHAT!:lachen:
You sure you don't wanna open a little online shop or somethin'? I need some of that stuff you got there.
Please don't tell me you still got stuff in the car...:hammer::naughty:
On a serious note...where do you get your Ayurveda stuff from?
I buy from one online store, but need to find other places.

Last edited:
I NEED to save this page to show my boyfriend because he will see that I'm really not that bad with the amount of stuff I have stashed and buy.
PassionFruit...YOU ARE NOT PLAYIN'...WHAT!:lachen:
You sure you don't wanna open a little online shop or somethin'? I need some of that stuff you got there.
Please don't tell me you still got stuff in the car...:hammer::naughty:
On a serious note...where do you get your Ayurveda stuff from?
I buy from one online store, but need to find other places.

The whole point of this challenge is to NOT buy stuff!:lachen: Maybe we shouldn't show stash pics--it'll just make us all want what we see.

They just paid me to buy the full line of Nexxus products. :grin: They also gave me $10 more dollars today that I might use to get some more lip butter that they will pay me $10 more dollars to leave the store with. I wonder how long I can keep rolling this same $10. :drunk:

Forever girl. I started months ago and I'm sure I have hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. My family makes fun of me but thats ok they know where to come when they need toothpaste!!:grin:

[/b]The whole point of this challenge is to NOT buy stuff!:lachen: Maybe we shouldn't show stash pics--it'll just make us all want what we see.

LOL I've been stalking this thread every day since it first went up. I'm looking at people's stashes and I'm like oooooh I gotta get somma that. :lachen:

I know that I should do this but I....don't....know....if....I...can. I'll admit it I'm weak. I get the shakes just thinking about it. Luckily my curlformers came yesterday and my Aveda is on the way today. I guess that can hold me over.

I'm signing up for this I guess - I have a lot of ish and now I've started hididng it under the bed and at work. (I don't have a car.) I have some Ovation in my desk drawer right now LOL. I need to use my stuff up before I buy anything else. I do want some of that new Redken coming out in June.

ETA: I have a question...I ordered some Aveda stuff and they no longer have the smooth infusion online...would it be wrong if I purchased it from the store? It's not really a new purchase it's just completing a previous purchase...more like making things whole again. LOL

Last edited:
I'm in on this challenge. i bought all of my purchases last night and i need to use up the stuff i have at home before i try new stuff. My mother says using all of that different crap is going to make your hair fall out. I told her it hasn't come out yet.

I dont feel bad anymore.... you have just as much stuff, if nto more, than me

Where's everyone else's pic... Im collecting names today

I know....lol....it's pretty bad.
and what's crazy is that I didn't place ALL of the items on the table to be photographed. :look:

For instance...I actually have about 3 containers of mango butter, 4 bottles of megatek, 3 bottles of HE LTR leave in....3 bottles of the SoSexy conditioner...SEVERAL little vials/packages of the Motions serum... (got the hook up on some free samples)....several bottles of CON conditioner......etc...etc...

But I felt the pic would look less cluttered with only ONE item of each product on display!! :look: Plus, I don't need to let yawl know just how bad it REALLY is..:ohwell:

--------

btw...I love that Hesh Multani Mati in your pic of the many boxes of Ayurvedic products!!
I have a couple of boxes of that...but I use it as a facial cleanser tho!! Good stuff!!
:yep:

LOL I've been stalking this thread every day since it first went up. I'm looking at people's stashes and I'm like oooooh I gotta get somma that. :lachen:

I know that I should do this but I....don't....know....if....I...can. I'll admit it I'm weak. I get the shakes just thinking about it. Luckily my curlformers came yesterday and my Aveda is on the way today. I guess that can hold me over.

I'm signing up for this I guess - I have a lot of ish and now I've started hididng it under the bed and at work. (I don't have a car.) I have some Ovation in my desk drawer right now LOL. I need to use my stuff up before I buy anything else. I do want some of that new Redken coming out in June.

ETA: I have a question...I ordered some Aveda stuff and they no longer have the smooth infusion online...would it be wrong if I purchased it from the store? It's not really a new purchase it's just completing a previous purchase...more like making things whole again. LOL

I found bottles of Vo5 in my desk at work... I guess thats from the last time CVS had em for 66 cents....

and yes, I have stuff in my car... DH is taking my son to the eye Dr in a bit and I will snap another couple of pics...

:nono: I've just got problems. I'm off of hair stuff, and I'm all over clothes, now. :lachen: Thas aiight, because I've got everything I need to make my hair look GOOD - I just need to work on the outfits, now. ;)

Okay I'm in. I have everything I really need hairwise. I only need a few stuff for my nails/face. Those don't count right? I'm using extra bucks there too. :drunk:

Do vitamins count too? I think I might need some more vitamins. Not hair specific ones FWIW.

I'm so in!!!!!!!!!! :yep: I have absolutley everything i need at home, so there are NO excuses for me! And esp. once i get my cornrows in.... that gives me even less reason to add anything new to my hair. So HOPEFULLY i can succeed at this challenge! :grin:

I am joining this challenge for sure. I am running out of room and need to stop buying items to just sit on my shelves.

I wish all the participants luck!

Do you know how HARD it is to walk into Target and leave with NO HAIR PRODUCTS!!!????

I went this morning for fabric softener & feminine hygiene products and out of habit, I went into the haircare aisle...

I started picking up bottles & looked and stuff marked with that red clearance sticker and then this thread popped into my head...

I PUT IT ALL BACK DESPITE THERE BEING SOME GOOD STUFF ON SALE...

I need a 12 step program

Back